Van-Tramp adventures 2016

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Left in '92 for many of the same reasons. I don't mind going back to visit quite as much as you do, but 2 weeks is about my limit and 1 week is better.

Lava Beds National Monument
http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/lava-beds-national-monument/

We left Klamath Falls in the late afternoon on route to cross into California for a night’s camp in the national forest just outside of Lava Beds National Monument. Less than a two-hour drive, we arrived shortly before sunset and found the spot we researched to be too small for the trailer. Luckily, just down the dirt road was another spot – one that would easily fit us in. Being miles from anyone, the dogs really enjoyed the freedom to run around and burn off some of the built up energy from the past weeks of rain and snow.

The following morning we woke to the threat of a sunny day. Even though I had to run the generator in the morning to help the battery catch up after another night of furnace use, I found myself packing it up soon after and thinking the sun may do the trick while we are in the National Park. It was a brilliant plan, but one that Mother Nature did not permit to happen. By the time Kerri and I were in the truck and driving the few short miles into the National Park, the clouds had returned and the rain began to hit our windshield. By the time we got to the visitors center it was properly coming down – Oregon style – and did not let up for the rest of the day.

Lucky for us, Lava Beds National Monument (my 77th National Park) consists of many caves and lava-tubes which can be self-toured. We had thought ahead to being our rain jackets, and stayed dry during the short walks from the truck to each cave. However I forgot our flashlights (I take full responsibility as Kerri did not know we would be cave-touring) and had to use only her iPhone for light in the deeper caves. Some of these caves were quite large and a phone light just can not light up enough space to fully embrace it all. We toured the caves anyway, as best we can, and I picked up yet another lapel-pin to add to my collection.
We returned to the trailer, to hitch up in he rain, and got on our way for another few hours of driving to get to the next destination where we would spend the final work week before arriving at Kerri’s family in Grass Valley, CA.

A week at Eagle Lake
http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/a-week-at-eagle-lake/

The final week before arriving at Kerri’s parents property in Grass Valley, and what will start five to six weeks of staying put (mostly) between our respective family’s homes, was spent just a few hours north, at Eagle Lake near Susanville, CA. I admit that I was not expecting anything spectacular from Eagle Lake but I was surprised by the beauty each morning with the frost and fog. It reminded me a lot of some of the camping we did in Alaska near Valdez and Whittier.

Kerri and I both agreed that it was nice to have some open space as well, since we have been tucked away in trees for many weeks now. In fact, the small campground was completely ours for the entire week. Not a single soul came by to camp with us, so the dogs had free reign to run around and we had some peace and quiet for our final week before pulling into the rat-race that is the Bay Area.

Our original idea was to stay only for the work week then drop into Lassen Volcanic National Park on the following weekend. But, in the final day, I noticed that the NPS had closed the road inside the park due to snow. While we could have dropped into the visitor’s center, we could not really get into the park to explore, and Lassen deserves a true exploration. So, instead we made the call to drive straight into Grass Valley – two days early – and get to work on all the projects we have lined up for our three week stay in GV.

nice pics as always, I too agree with you on Cali, never been there, and don't want to go

As usual a nice place and pics........the last one was my fave. Way cool !

That week in a deserted campground sounds peaceful. Been enjoying reading the adventures and looking at the photos Van Tramp. I spent a too short time roaming in Northern CA some years back. Some mighty beautiful scenery in CA!

Completing our 2016 travels
http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/completing-our-2016-travels/

We made it back to Kerri’s parent’s property in Grass Valley, CA last weekend. It is from here that we started our 2016 travels, and it is here that we will end 2016. We covered some good ground this past year, most of which was all new to me, and much of it for Kerri as well. Not sure if anyone has noticed or not, but we already have our 2017 travels rough-planned (2018 too if I am being honest). We should be starting that route in late December.

Since arriving in Grass Valley I have stayed very busy working on Big Blue and preparing it for a big facelift. We had decided, then undecided, the re-decided, only to re-un-decide and then re-re-decide to repaint Big Blue. So, with only three weeks to do it all I immediately started the work of removing all the exterior items (bumpers, solar panels, etc) and began the long process of filling holes and sanding as much of the old paint off that I can. It is only today that I can say that I think I am done with all the sanding.

The fresh paint is expected late in the week and we only have a single day to put it on Big Blue before a threat of rain. It has to be painted by the weekend after Thanksgiving as the Airstream goes in to the shop for a few weeks for repairs. Big Blue will be our home for that time. Of course, I will have a more detailed write up of the process once it is complete.

A final coastal drive
http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/a-final-coastal-drive/

The Airstream went in for a few weeks of repairs – minor repairs, nothing to be worried about – so we piled into the ‘vacation home’ that is Big Blue (yes, he will still be known as Big Blue) and set out for a weekend journey.

First stop was a quirky little town of Port Costa on the waters of the Carqueniz Strait, miles off the main highway between Martinez and Crockett, across the  water from Benicia. In total the town consists of a half-block of businesses all of which are unique and funky enough to stay that way. The plan was simply to stay the night in the parking lot, in Big Blue of course, after a night out on the town… specifically after having a few drinks at the biker hangout; The Warehouse. Not really the most scenic or quietest place to camp, but we still had a great time.

The following morning we took off on our way to the coast, back to Point Reyes where Kerri can refill here coastal-energy-banks for the upcoming year away. However, just as we arrived the decision to keep driving up the coast was agreed upon. No destination fixed, we drove North out of Point Reyes. Past Bodega Bay and Sonoma Coast State Park. For me this was virgin territory, as I have never driven the particular stretch of road north of this point.

Fort Ross State Historic Park was our afternoon stop. We toured the old fort, revisiting Kerri’s memories of a childhood visit at the same time.

We continued driving up the coast, taking our time and using just about every turnout available as Big Blue tends to go at a pace, not California speeds. We had three campgrounds up ahead that we were going to choose from, but upon checking in on our second one the decision was easy. Ocean Cove Campground would be our stop for the night, with it’s epic camp sites overlooking the bluffs and waves. We found a seclude site, pointed Big Blue out towards the Pacific Ocean, and nudged it as close to the end as we could.

Feeling sorry for it, Kerri bought the last bundle of firewood at the store, so we had ourselves a fire while watching the sun set and were tucked under the blankets by 7PM. The next morning, I actually got her out of bed before the sunrise an set out, with the dogs, for a short hike along the bluffs. We reached the pinnacle of the trail at the same moment the sun decided to drop in to start the day officially.

We did continue North another few hours later that morning before turning South East to reconnect to a major highway which brought us back to my families place in Vallejo, just in time for the end of the day, and work in the morning. Here we will camp while the trailer is being repaired. My son fly’s out for a visit the first few days of December.

Thanks for the tip on Ocean Cove. I've bookmarked it for the next time I'm up that way.

You can rent a space in Ocean Cove for $240.00 per month (last time I checked this past summer) or by the week for a much better rate than the day rate.
Be self contained, the only amenities are outhouses, water outlets, and the small general store.

One of my favorite places, that's why I never tell anyone about it.

Look into the hot spots of Bakersfield, Fresno and Visalia.. you should be able to get a spot within your budget.