Van-Tramp adventures 2016

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool! I paid a quick visit to Craters of the Moon once but need to get back and do more there. Never heard of Hell's Half Acre before. Thanks for pointing it out.

Boondocking near Ketchum Idaho
http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/boondocking-near-ketchum-idaho/

I can tolerate it a bit more than Kerri; staying in a non-ideal location, that is. So while we were at the Hatchery and not feeling so great about it (not that it was a bad place to be) it was Kerri who made the call to find another place to live for the week. Me – being the type of guy that will do anything to make this woman happy – jumped in the truck and spent an afternoon driving up and down forest-roads, documenting and photographing, until I found our new home…

An hour away from the Hatchery, 5 miles down a gravel road, just outside of Ketchum, Idaho, was the place I settled on, with a backup not far away. The first-pick did the trick for her, on top of a small hill deep inside the valley, and overlooking the two lakes of Lake Creek Road. With the autumn colors hitting their stride, and the lake as her office view, we were set for the rest of the week. She was happy, which makes me very happy.

The rain came in within hours of our arrival and did not let up all week. The weather was welcomed by us both on the first day. We cranked up the generator to stay warm and powered up for work. A feeling of a cozy cabin deep in the wilderness was great. Day two brought snow to the peaks around us, but still only rain in our valley. Day 3 brought more rain and it was now that I starting feeling a bit of cabin-fever. It was not until Saturday morning that the weather receded and we were able to explore around a bit and see further down the road before leaving that afternoon. I think I could have stayed here the full 16 day limit. Maybe next time around.

Two ghosts and a Goliath
http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/two-ghosts-and-a-goliath/

With a day of exploring scheduled Kerri and I set out find a few items on the map. As luck would have it, we needed only travel on a single road to get them all in. The first of which is the ghost town of Bonanza, Idaho. Bonanza was founded in 1877 and only ever reached a total of about 600 residents. A fire in 1889, and a second fire in 1897 is what did the town in, and is when most businesses moved 2 miles up river to Custer, Idaho. Now-a-days, only a few structures remain, and only just.

The town cemetery was full of wooden tombstones with the single word of “unknown” written upon them. Only three tombstones were engraved with names, and those three individuals (all the same family) had moved to Bonanza from Bodie, California – another ghost town we had visited a few months back.

Custer was founded in 1879 and was much larger than Bonanza… maybe due to the lack of fires. But as the local mines started going out of business the town slowly dwindled. By 1910 only a few families remained, and now it is a proper ghost town. During peak months the town is “open”, complete with museum, self guided tours, etc. Sadly, when we arrived the town was shuttered, with sheets of wood covering all windows and doors, signage and placards removed, and not even a pamphlet left out to take the self guided tour. As we are finding about Idaho, the state closes for business by mid September.

And finally, the Yankee Fork Gold Dredge. Built by the Snake River Mining Company in 1939 the dredge was 988 tons, 112 feet long, 54 feet wide, 64 feet tall, and floated in 8 feet of water. It operated continuously from 1939 to to 1942 then off and on until 1952 when operations finally ceased. It was “the most efficient dredge ever in production” for the times, able to dig all soil – down to bedrock – out of the river in huge amounts, all for the hope of a few specks of gold. It left miles and miles of tailings behind it, as it was pulled further and further up this small river, which is now, still, utterly destroyed beyond comprehension. No matter how I feel about the destruction caused by the people who built this goliath, the machine itself was amazing to see. It’s WW1 tank-appearance only adding to it’s aura.

A great read on the history of all three

I'm always in awe of pioneers, I look at their homes and realize I'm far too liking of comfort to ever live that way. Good thing my ancestors were made of tougher stuff!

Love the ghost town pics! It's been a dream of mine to live in a ghost town with other people, just coming and going as we needed but having that one "spot" or dilapidated cabin to fix up that I could call home.

Boondocking near Stanley, ID
http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/boondocking-near-stanley-id/

When we left Ketchum we were unsure where we were going to be staying that night. Our backup was an RV park in Stanley, Idaho. We were hoping to stay only a single night there, and depending on if there was good Verizon or not we would stay longer if we found some boondocking. It didn’t take long to see people boondocking all along the highway, inside the Sawtooth National Rec Area between Ketchum and Stanley, so we figured our chances were good for the week. And so we spent day-1, with the trailer parked at the local Ranger station, exploring dirt roads in the national forest surrounding Stanley and finding many new-to-us places to boondock (all have been added to my map), so we picked one. Day-2 you have already read about; our visit to a few ghost towns nearby.

Just off the highway, almost directly across the street from the entrance to Redfish Lake, was the peaceful and quiet (minus a little bit of road noise) dispersed camping area along the Salmon River. With a view of the mountains to our North and the River running below us, it did the trick. Certainly not as scenic as our last two spots outside of Ketchum or Grand Teton, but we really had the whole area to ourselves and it was an easy jump into the Redfish Lake area for a few morning hikes, as well as into town.

I’ve been working on Kerri’s an my ability to wake earlier (she is getting better ow that I take the coffee back after an initial sip) so we can get out of bed and do things before work, like we use to do. Twice we set out for morning hikes. Both times around Redfish Lake and both times the dogs got to join us for some off-leash fun. Also, both times I forgot my camera so Kerri had to do all the photographing.

We saved one bit of outdoor activity for later in the week an for after-work. The Sunbeam Hot Springs were only a few miles down the road. Wednesday night we went out to soak a bit and everything was perfect. The river runs right past the soaking pools, the water temperature was perfect, and the stars were out. We soaked for an hour before taking the drive back home – very slowly as wildlife were out in force. We even returned the following night, but the rain and thunder didn’t help the once relaxing atmosphere. Add to it that the water seemed to have gained a few degrees into the uncomfortable range, we left sooner that night.

On Saturday we decided to head out of the area, both happy that we made the trek further into Idaho. This burned a week not originally scheduled, but we actually have 3 weeks of extra time anyway, so things worked out wonderfully. I’d even like to return to the Sawtooth Recreation Area in the future as there are so many more things to do in the area that we could not accomplish in just one week. Maybe next year we will get to drop in again.

great pics as usual. love the ghost town pics. I love ghost towns, very few left. highdesertranger

I picked up a used camera last week, it's a nice not-quite-dslr that has far more options than I understand. Yours and some other blogs are what's inspiring me to try to learn how to use a camera...when I finally get traveling, I want pics that really capture scenery, not the crappy pics that I always end up with. Maybe I'll take a class...

BradKW said:
I picked up a used camera last week, it's a nice not-quite-dslr that has far more options than I understand. Yours and some other blogs are what's inspiring me to try to learn how to use a camera...when I finally get traveling, I want pics that really capture scenery, not the crappy pics that I always end up with. Maybe I'll take a class...

You know what I did, was drop into a nearby Barnes & Noble and grabbed a clearance-item book on photography... then read it multiple times. It really helped me understand all the camera settings and gave me a little insight on what a photographer may look for in a shot. I have since basically forgotten all of it, but something is retained deep down... I guess.

Catching up
http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/catching-up/

We have moved a good distance since my last post back in Idaho, so allow me to catch up some…

We left Stanley, Idaho with the plan of a single night’s stay in an established campground not far down the road at yet another hot spring. We thought we would leave the Sawtooth Mountains bathing in a final hot spring followed by a good night’s sleep. We should not have; the spring was crowded, too hot and too cold at the same time, and the campground was full of ‘trash’… and garbage. The trash – being the people – left garbage everywhere. Not just in individual camp sites, but also in the spring’s pools. A diaper… a used fuckin’ diaper left in a natural hot spring?!?! It was not the only thing of course, but I doubt any of you want a full run-down of the garbage that the trash left behind.

Embedded Instagram images in original blog post at http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/catching-up/

As for the spring itself, it was picturesque, but not much more. The water falling down the rocks was blistering hot, but by the time it dropped into any of the pools it was luke-warm at best. You had to be both in the falling water and the pool, moving constantly to try to find a comfortable temperature to sit in. And since we had to sit under a water-fall of scolding water, it was too loud to talk either. No relaxation occurred in this hot spring… we moved on the next morning.

Another 90 minutes down the road and we were in the greater Boise area. I’ve never been to Boise, not even a drive-through. So, we drive through, stopping only to use the bathroom. It had been a while, but I recognized the feeling – the tight chest, the extra weight, the stress, the depression – of suburbia-life. It came back to me so quickly. Seriously, cookie-cutter houses and strip malls only make me want to run away as fast as possible, so we did.

Embedded Instagram images in original blog post at http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/catching-up/

Out the West side of Boise is all farm land, and it was here that Kerri arranged our first ever stay [together] at a Harvest Host winery. Huston Vineyards was our home for the night. Here we kicked, screamed,  and pouted our way through a wine-tasting, picked up a few fresh bottles of happy-night-juice, and called it a night.
Kerri did leave my alone in the trailer (an odd feeling, still) while she went off to do a little grocery shopping. Our plan for the rest of the work week would keep us far from anything but gas stations and corner stores and her taste for organic foods is strong. She shopped while I … well, I don’t recall what the heck I did while she was gone. I probably did what the dogs do; hibernate until she returned. Returned she did, with food to last us the week.

The following morning we were off early again. We had a fair drive ahead of us, to the town of John Day, Oregon, where we planned to stay at the local fairground’s RV park. But the park was not to our liking so we drove another 7 miles to Clyde Holliday State Recreation Site where the ambiance and views where much more to our liking. While most people would not describe camping as “luxurious”, when we have power and water hookups we are living it up! A well maintained campground with a nice little riverside trail right out our door for daily dog-walks. An easy 1 mile hop into the nearly non-existent town of Mt Vernon where a laundromat-slash-bar (yep, they were a combo business) made my weekly chores easy too. And at the end of our week stay, was one of the nicest dump stations I’ve ever met to take away the nastier parts of RV life. Ahhhh…

Well, that was enough catching up for the day, I will catch up some more soon.

Fully penetrating Oregon
http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/fully-penetrating-oregon/

I’ve been here before – deep into Oregon exploring and adventuring – but most of that time has been spent on the coastal side of the state with some day-touring of the mountains here and there, mainly to see the National Parks. When Kerri and I were planning out this year’s route (which was happening very, very early in our relationship… how did I not scare her off I do not know) we both agreed that Idaho and much of Oregon needed to be included. We both had gaping holes in our travel-maps for this area that needed some filling.

First on that list was John Day Fossil Beds National Monument which was only a few miles down the road from where we left off in my last blog post. Well, actually there are three parts to John Day NM and the first of those three was right down the road, about 45 minutes. The Sheep Rock Unit has the visitor’s center as well as Sheep Rock (seen below, I do not think it looks anything like a sheep). We came here to purchase my lapel pin at the visitor’s center and to see what the park was all about; fossils, lots and lots of fossils… and old – very old – dirt.

We left the Sheep Rock Unit to tour the Painted Rock Unit, which we both felt would be the area to see in this park. I mean, painted hills? That’s cool, right? But first we needed to get rid of the trailer we were towing, and as luck would have it there was a BLM dispersed camping area right down the road from the Monument entrance. It’s not a big one, and with the hunting season in full swing the place was packed. We managed to squeeze in between a few other campers to drop the trailer for a single night’s stay. From here we jumped into the park to hike some trail, and take in the sunset that would light up those very painted hills.

In the Painted Hills Unit is a total of about 1.5 miles of hiking trail, none of which is spectacular if you compare it to other National Parks, but we hiked it anyway – all of it – making sure to take in the Overlook Trail in the hour leading up to sunset. The low sun was lighting up the hills perfectly, casting our own shadows onto them.

The night spend in the BLM area went smoothly and we packed up early that morning to make the 90 minute drive into Bend, Oregon. Here we planned to stay the work-week a few miles outside of town-proper in the National Forest. Upon arrival we found that all spots in the first mile or so of this silty-dirty road were occupied, almost all with homeless tent campers who have clearly been staying well past their 14 day maximum. We had to drive deep into the forest to find a mediocre spot to camp in a dusty intersection of two forest roads. Here we spent three nights, and were comfortable enough until the weather threatened three straight days of rain. It is not often I want to camp in town, but knowing what happens to this fine dirt when it gets wet, we made the call to get out on Wednesday night and moved to the local Moose Lodge in the middle of town.

Already having spent a full week in and around Bend, I must say I have been left with a let-down feeling. I expected so much of Bend, and the area just has not met those expectations. I do this a lot actually, and it is no fault of the place itself, but my own way of holding onto years of some fantasy I have built up in my mind. Bend, was just Bend, and nothing more. I went into town every single day to exercise at one of my gyms. Kerri and I dropped in multiple times for brewpubs, coffee shops, and to eat out. After moving into town itself I found myself at the Columbia Outlet store where I could not help myself but to purchase a down jacket and a beanie – items I seriously needed for our backpacking trips. Bend was Bend.

From here we continue South towards California. We have a few more weeks between here and the border but soon enough I will be ‘penetrating’ my most-hated of all states, so be nice to me.

Locked out of Crater Lake
http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/locked-out-of-crater-lake/

We left Bend with the purpose of visiting Crater Lake National Park, which Kerri had not yet been too. Originally, the plan was to migrate all the way to Klamath Falls and day-trip into the park from there, but Kerri found a nice spot to camp right outside of the North entrance of the park; Diamond Lake.

After nearly a week worth of rain and cold while in Bend, the area around the National Park was well saturated with both rain and snow. When we pulled into the campground, a light dusting of snow awaited us, but did not scare us away. Instead we cranked up the generator and settled in for a single night’s stay. The NPS had just – the day before – closed the North entrance to the park due to snowfall. We were hoping to be able to make a run into he park once the snow was cleared however. It was our first time staying in the snow, since we met, and a nice novelty it was.

A second of snow kept the entrance closed but we decided to stay the week here anyway, but moved spots after doing a little recon. The generator had enough fuel for a few days work, but on Wednesday I was forced to make the 45 minute one-way trek into the nearest town to do laundry, refill one of the trailer’s propane tanks, and grab more fuel for the generator. This allowed us to stay the remainder of the week with the furnace keeping us warm and the generator working 12 hours a day. Cold and rain persisted, but we had the place to ourselves and were pleased to stay put.

With an awe inspiring view of the lake, and the Mt Bailey – which one appeared through the clouds on our third day – to our West, it was not a bad place to spend the work week anyway. Each day we checked the NPS website in hopes that the lack of continued snow would allow us to make an early morning run into the park, but it never came. On our final day here the park service finally called it quits and announced that the North entrance was closed for the winter. We would be forced to take the long way around next week when we are in the Klamath Falls area.

Those hills are stunning. The last post reminds me why I insist that a generator is part of a balanced plan for power. Cloud cover like that really knocks the solar down and even light snow just shuts it down. Luckily pulling the roof air off means I can replace the monster with a nice quiet 2000w unit.

Snowy Crater Lake
http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/snowy-crater-lake/

Though we could not get into the park when we wanted too, we made it in this past weekend anyway after jumping a few fences, knocking out a Park Ranger, and … yea I am fibbing a bit. From the South side the roads were open and clear so we drove right into the park and to the Crater. We could go no further though; all roads were closed. Seven miles is all we got to see of the park. Luckily, and at least, the Crater itself was part of those few miles.

Crater Lake in the snow is a very different place then my last time here in in December of 2013. The unique color of the water did not get to show itself with the clouds blocking the sun from doing its thing. This was Kerri’s first time to Crater Lake. The few minutes we spent in the park just doesn’t do it justice and I felt bad that this visit is all she gets (for now).

lovely pics as always, makes me want to see these places for myself
NOT in snow, though, I'm too Texan to want to deal with that

Boondocking near Klamath Lake
http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/boondocking-near-klamath-lake/

I happily went along with the idea of extending our stay in Oregon. Kerri discussed it with me back in Idaho, and she knows damn well how I feel about California. I am forced to return to my most-despised state eventually, but entering only at the last minute an exiting as quickly as possible minimized the emotional pain inflicted upon me. So, a week-long stay on Klamath Lake bought me more time outside of California, if only just.

We originally went to Four Mile Flat Quarry, as it had a review on Campendium.com that we could trust. But, we moved on after only a single night once we scouted – and liked it more – another free campground nearby; Odessa Campground. Here we had easy access to the waterfront to do a little kayaking. We were deep in the trees and nearly a mile from the nearest paved road. Even though we did have a few vehicles drive in, none stayed a night. Only the locals, out fishing or hunting, stayed longer than just a drive-through.

The rain was persistent through out our week here, but on Monday morning we did try a kayak trip to a resort-restaurant 4 miles down the shoreline. This was suppose to be a kayak-to-breakfast trip but Kerri had some serious difficulty getting out of bed that morning. We did get the kayaks in the water and paddled around a bit, but we could not do the 1 hour trip there, eat, and 1 hour trip back without it including being rained on the entire way back. It was probably for the best anyway, as my back still gets pretty angry when in the kayak for any extended period.

As you can see from the pictures, the weather has stayed pretty cold, and wet. The generator has continued to operate pretty much non-stop during the daylight hours since we arrived in Oregon, at a cost of about 1 gallon per day. Without it we would be stuck in RV parks paying for electricity at a cost of $30 or more per day. The little guy has paid for itself this year alone.

On Wednesday I made the 45 minute drive into Kalamath Falls to run errands; fill up on fuel, some minor grocery shopping, a visit to the gym for a workout and hot shower, and finally a second visit to a local Mexican restaurant for some takeout. It took almost 5 hours round trip, but it was worth it.

This weekend, we officially roll into California to visit Lava Beds National Monument and Lassen Volcanic National Park. I am sure to be overly-emotional, irritable, and bloated during my time in California… so no one rub me the wrong way, m-kay?

I feel your pain about California. While I have some good friends who live there and the scenery is great their overbearing laws and rules irritate me, tho I am sure they don't care. If my health holds up I want to traverse the Rubicon, if I manage that California will never see me again.

As always Van-Tramp. Good pictures and nice commentary. Rob

Passing Through said:
Why do you hate CA? I have never seen your reason for it written out in whole.

I love the geography of the land, don't get me wrong, it is an amazing state in that sense.

However, I lived in CA (Bay Area specifically) for the first 37 years of my life and raised my son here through his first 9 years. The thing I dislike most is the political leaders and their nanny-state "add more laws" philosophy. An individual's freedom is not respected in CA. Constitutional right's are not respected. California is the perfect example of what a far-left liberal would want to see. The side effects of this far-left philosophy is lots and lots of meaningless and unenforceable laws, tons of entitlements, heavily in debt, closing schools, and bankrupt cities.

Now I am far from being a right-winger, but the individual rights of myself and my son are far more important to me than to have continued living there. We left in 2008 after the town we lived in filed for bankruptcy (library, fire, and police all shut down), they laid off 10,000 teachers in the state, and they wanted more taxes and laws in response. Not long after, the 9th Circuit of the  Supreme Court said CA must release 10,000 violent felons from their prisons and back into society because the prisons were too overcrowded. 10,000 violent felons released, yet the right to protect one's self outside of your own home is simply not allowed by the government. 

It is a failed experiment in extreme liberalism I am thankful as heck that I got my son out of that place and he shows no interest in returning to California either. He will lead a much happier life for it.