Big Blue version 4.0 build

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big Blue version 4.0 – The final phase
http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/big-blue-version-4-0-the-final-phase/

[size=large]It has all come together nicely this past week. Big Blue… (yep, his name is not changing. Not that BB is its name, “Jonas” is the van’s name. Jonas is a big blue whale – that people traveled the world in – from a series of books I read when I was younger. BB was just easier to say some day and it never went away)… anyway, Big Blue is 90% complete but not livable just yet. It needed just a few more things to start loading gear in. With most of the big construction projects completed in the van, I shifted my attention to the other areas, starting the final phase of the build-out.

First was the bed. How could I have forgotten? Well, I didn’t actually. I was waiting for the new mattresses (6 inch foam with new upholstery) to show up before I could finalize a few measurements. They arrived on Wednesday, so I immediately got to work on the bed system. This time around the slide out portion of the bed was installed using large ball-bearing drawer slides. This allows one person the ability to pull the bed out as opposed to it being a two-person job as before. The bed pulls out 19 inches (for a total of 49 inches in width, and increase of 3 inches over the previous bed) and sets into a notch cut in the closet. This, and a swing out leg, supplies support to the pulled out section of the bed.

Friday was right around the corner and Big Blue had an appointment for late morning of that day to get new tires. Before that could happen, something else had to be done about the dusty, dirty, rusty, and cobwebbed old wheels. A quick repaint was in order, which was made simple thanks to knowing the tires would be immediately replaced. I could just paint the wheels with the tires in place without taping or caring about the over spray on the tires. Wa-la!

And then came Friday. At the time the jury was still out whether or not the tires we wanted were going to fit in the front wheel-wells. The rear was fine thanks to the new airbags setup that gave ample lift and firmness to BB’s behind (hey, careful now!). Why the questioning of the fit? Because we chose to stuff some 31 inch all-terrain tires on this time around, upgrading from the original 29 inch size. It was a major improvement in appearance, for sure, and will provide a lot more comfortable ride on all those dirt and gravel roads we will be on in Baja in just a few weeks time.

To fully appreciate the change, I offer this image below that shows how Big Blue has grown up since last year. The big black stripe and the new boots sure make him look a lot tougher then he really is! And of course, the spare had to match and be re-installed hanging off the van’s rear door (not shown in pic). In all, with the new airbags and larger tires, the step to get inside the living space of the van is two to three inches higher then it was. More ground clearance = less chance of getting stuck “off asphalt” (the van is not really “off-road” capable. Off asphalt is a better descriptor).

Saturday was all about cutting the wood for the facings of the doors and drawers. I’ve been dreading the day I had to cut into this most expensive piece of plywood. My confidence level wasn’t the highest when it came to making that many correct measurements and making all those cuts on that costly of a chunk of wood. But, only one man was going to do it, so I eventually jumped in, measured twice, cut once, and handed off the dozen or so door & drawer-facings off to Kerri for a coat of her favorite wood wax. Now all I have to do is build the actual drawers… ugh!

While I spent my time working on all that wood, Kerri was inside working on more of these awesome curtains. I am lucky that Kerri’s taste is not all flowers and paisley. She and I agree – and this was 100% her idea – that the more basic look of burlap and leather was going to be best for us. Honestly, I just nodded my head in agreement, but now that I see the finished product I totally understand! Instead of burlap, we went with a large painters tarp as the fabric. It works well, yea?

There are still dozens of small jobs left to do, like wiring in another light fixture or two, and will probably go on for many more weeks. As is customary in van life, the van is never 100% complete. There is always something to add, adjust, or tinker on.

This week we start the multi-day process of moving out of the Airstream and into the Van, again. Last time we did this – in 2016 – it took three days, which is about all the time we have. This upcoming weekend, with the new sun and longer days (Christmas-lie weekend… ask me how I really feel), we crank up the big American V8 and start our migration South towards Baja, again.
[/size]

nice, did you just use paint, to paint the black on over the bed liner? anyway looking good. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
nice,  did you just use paint,  to paint the black on over the bed liner?  anyway looking good.   highdesertranger

Painted black Monstaliner right over the desert tan Monstaliner from last year.

It's gonna be (already is) a head turner fer sure.
Doors look real nice !

Curtains look great and will be easier to maintain as well. I was reminded of Duluth Packs when I seen the canvas and leather. Rat Patrol exterior with North Woods Lodge interior in a package to be proud of.

thanks. so is it noticeably thicker where you doubled up? any pros or cons to doing it that way? the reason I ask is I want to do it on the top of my tool box that I walk on all the time and was wondering what would happen if I put multiple coats on it. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
thanks.  so is it noticeably thicker where you doubled up?  any pros or cons to doing it that way?  the reason I  ask is I want to do it on the top of  my tool box that I walk on all the time and was wondering what would happen if I put multiple coats on it.  highdesertranger

I see no problems with it... neither does Monstaliner. Just sand the previous coat enough to scuff it and apply more on top. The added thickness is a plus in this case, but it really is minimal.

I just purchased a '02 Chevy 2500 Express Desiel 9 Pass Conversion and am inspired by your build to rip out seats and make it function for me. I will probably steal some of your ideas! - Russ

Have at the ideas! The floor plan is in post #1. If you need any measurements and answers, just let me know.

Good luck!

Big Blue version 4.0 – Finishing up
http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/big-blue-version-4-0-finishing-up/

[size=large]This past week has just been about finishing up the build. All the major component were complete already, but we were still missing drawer/door facings, outlet covers, and a ton of other misc items. Speaking of those outlet covers, I made those myself out of slices of a downed tree in the yard. Quite cool I must say. I wish I had more time to do things like this for Big Blue.[/size]
[size=large]
As of Friday, we started the processes of moving out of the Airstream and into the Van (woot!)…. right in time for me to blow out my back for the second time during this project. So badly did I hurt my back that it took over an hour (and more than a few tears) to get out of bed Saturday morning, and still I was only as agile as a zombie on Prozac. Kerri really stepped up to do nearly all the work of moving in by  herself. I did what I could to help, but I think I just got in the way more then anything.
[/size]

[size=large]
We spent our first night in the van last night and it was wonderful. The new bed and mattress are amazingly comfortable.
[/size]

[size=large]
Some images to remember it all…

[/size]

[size=large]It’s nice to finally be at a stage where we can drive off (planned for Sunday, may delay to Monday if back pain does not reduce). We are thoroughly done though. I have worked seven days a week on the van since we arrived in Grass Valley nearly 5 weeks ago. Kerri has worked her normal work schedule *as well as* worked on the van on all her days off and many/most of her free hours after work. We are getting mighty short with each other and need some days off, but it appears our relationship has survived the rebuild. Now to find out if it will survive a tandem kayak (yea we bought one of those too).[/size]
[size=large]
The big pictures…
[/size]

very, very nice. you two did fantastic work. love the outlet covers. highdesertranger

Yes, very nice work! OK, I got that it's a 1989 Dodge Maxi Van, but which engine? I would guess because of the extra size, at least a 360?

Ballenxj said:
Yes, very nice work! OK, I got that it's a 1989 Dodge Maxi Van, but which engine? I would guess because of the extra size, at least a 360?

There are three possible engines; a 3.9l 6cyl (easy enough to see if there are only 6 plug wires) or two V8 engines... a 5.2l 318ci or a 5.9l 360ci engine. Both are great motors so not to worry there. The 318 will give you a little less power but a few extra MPG which is always nice. Im not sure how to tell them apart visually, but your VIN number will tell all. You can google your VIN number and it will tell you the engine size you have.

Van-Tramp said:
There are three possible engines; a 3.9l 6cyl (easy enough to see if there are only 6 plug wires) or two V8 engines... a 5.2l 318ci or a 5.9l 360ci engine. Both are great motors so not to worry there. The 318 will give you a little less power but a few extra MPG which is always nice. Im not sure how to tell them apart visually, but your VIN number will tell all. You can google your VIN number and it will tell you the engine size you have.
Thanks, I know mine is a 318, and also know that if you take your vin number to a Dodge dealer, they can print a build sheet for you with details like gear ratio, alternator output etc.
I was curious to know which engine Big Blue has?

Big Blue version 4.0 – Ending with a bang
http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/big-blue-version-4-0-ending-with-a-bang/

[size=large]We spent two days packing up the van (I say we, but actually Kerri did all the packing as I blew out my back something fierce on the final day of construction [that is twice in five weeks] and was barely able to stand, let alone move things into the van) and were all excited to drive off from Grass Valley on Christmas Eve. Things were all going according to plan – not my plan, but close enough – and by Sunday afternoon we jumped into the two captain’s chairs and waved our goodbye’s to the Mom and Dad and started our hop over the Sierra Mountains. We found that our new drawers and cabinets were opening and closing while driving, but were still happy to be moving nonetheless. There were other concerns that popped up (as expected) but we were able to move past them quickly. We were on the road, heading South to meetup with friends for the new year.[/size]
[size=large]
Only 30 minutes later, and less than 20 miles from our starting point, as we were climbing up a grade on Interstate 80, the engine shut off and smoke billowed behind Big Blue. We coasted to a stop on the side of the Interstate, jumped out of Big Blue, popped the hood and found that Big Blue was on fire!!! We had just finished a huge (and costly) rebuild, and had all our gear packed tightly into the van… and it was on fire!!! Luckily, Kerri and I had just finished a conversation on where I packed out extinguishers, two of which we were sitting directly on. When we jumped out of the van, I asked her to grab the extinguisher under her seat. While I opened the hood, she pulled the pin and handed me the life (and van) saving device. A quick burst from the extinguisher – while Kerri pulled the dogs out of the van – and the real problems were resolved. But we were still stuck on the side of the Interstate, with oil pouring from the engine.
[/size]

[size=large]

[/size]

[size=large]As you can see, a passerby called in the cavalry; the local fire department were on scene within 3 minutes, and not another minute later a CHP officer dropped in to make sure all was OK as well. He left us with a few long lasting flares to set out while we waited for our tow truck (which he called in so they would prioritize us). The flatbed showed up quickly, and pulled the 8000+ pound van onto it in record time. We asked to be towed back to Grass Valley where the parents were awaiting, again.[/size]
[size=large]

Big Blue was parked right beside the Airstream (again, again), but it stunk of burnt-van inside. We couldn’t sleep in the trailer either as it had nothing in it, like bedding, clothes, water, etc. We opted to sleep inside, in the guest bedroom and leave Big Blue to air out for the night. I fully expected it to be a blown engine and some tough decisions were going to need to me made. Hopes were not high, but we both understood it was not a life-ending situation.

Embeded Instagram photos at http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/big-blue-version-4-0-ending-with-a-bang/

Once I pulled the doghouse out and got a first peak at the engine it became obvious that it was not a blown engine. Instead, it was my stupidity (not properly cleaning up a rats nest that I removed weeks back) that caused the fire, which did a number on the wiring (hence the engine shutting down), vacuum lines, and oil pressure gauge tubing (hence the oil leak). As awful as it all looks, it was an easier and less expensive hole to dig out of. Three days later, as I am writing this, and the van has still not restarted (Update - I got it running the next day). We will be at least a week (hopefully not two weeks) behind due to this easy-to-avoid-mistake.
[/size]

[size=large]
The lessons I would like to pass on to others are:
[/size]

1. Look for, and properly clean up rats nets after a vehicle has been sitting for a long period.
  2. Always carry at least one fire extinguisher, in a place easy to access, at all times. We had 3 with us that day.
  3. Listen to the women! Sometime their “nagging” could save your life/van/butt. I wish I had.

Dive safely now… and always an extinguisher.

Van-Tramp said:
Big Blue version 4.0 – Ending with a bang
http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/big-blue-version-4-0-ending-with a bang
[size=large]<-------->
The lessons I would like to pass on to others are:
[/size]

1. Look for, and properly clean up rats nets after a vehicle has been sitting for a long period.
  2. Always carry at least one fire extinguisher, in a place easy to access, at all times. We had 3 with us that day.
  3. Listen to the women! Sometime their “nagging” could save your life/van/butt. I wish I had.

Dive safely now… and always an extinguisher.
WOW! My Heart sank for you two when I started reading this. Thank goodness it was not as bad as originally thought.
 Truly good lessons to learn about rats nests and fire extinguishers.

thankfully you two are safe and the problem was not super major. I am assuming the oil pressure gauge was that nylon tubing if it was replace it with copper tubing. kits are available. highdesertranger