Van-Tramp adventures 2016

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
masterplumber said:
How is Ridgeway State Park these days? I haven't stayed there since my kids were little.

Right now, the reservoir is WAY down. That wasn't the case just a few weeks ago. They must have opened the dam for some purpose. Other than that, the views are still fantastic. There's a fresh dusting of snow on the southern peaks.

there are 3 types of dams in the west.
1. flood control
2. hydroelectric
3. irrigation
if there is a draw down it's because of one of these 3 reasons.
highdesertranger

Moose, Dinosaurs, and Aspen
http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/moose-dinosaurs-and-aspen/

We left Ridgway State Park on Friday, right after work. 6PM is an odd time to leave a campground, I agree, but the benefit was that we got to drive 90 miles to Grand Junction that evening, cutting our Saturday drive in half. All we needed was a place to stay… and one phone call was all it took.

We arrived well after dark, at the Grand Junction Moose Lodge, where they have RV spaces behind the building. After settling in, we swaggered our way through the doors and into the bar area. Inside, the weekly dance was in full swing, complete with live music and 50 or so folks having a great time. Ignoring the fact that we were likely half the age of everyone else in there and not locals to the lodge, many came up to say their hello’s. The bartender – a nice gal but not accustomed to serving anything more than beer – kept us company as we drank our bottled beer and a who-knows-what-that-is cocktail she made up for Kerri. The bar was out backrest as we watched the dance unfold, without partaking ourselves.

{embedded Instagram image not shown}

We were gone early the next morning. Another few hours of driving was planned for the day to arrive at a place I have long wished to visit but never have; Dinosaur National Monument (my 83rd National Park). We arrived in the early afternoon to the Canyon Visitor’s Center where we dropped the trailer (and the dogs) and set out for an auto-tour of the Harper’s Corner Road. Harper’s Corner Road guided us 24 miles into the park, atop the hills and buttes where vast overlooks of the canyons sprinkle the path, climaxing at Harper’s Corner which offers a huge view of Echo Canyon.

On our way back we drove down the steep and twisted 12 mile long gravel road to Echo Canyon which offered some of the coolest and most unexpected places along the way. The old Chew Ranch, which we explored, brought back urges to homestead in the rough country. Then to Whispering Cave which simply blew my mind. The cave is large enough to stand in once inside, but the amazing part was that the slab of rock above my head was not affixed to anything. Imagine stepping inside a guillotine, in the slot of the inner workings. The blade that slides down and does the chopping is the slab of rock above me with walls at both sides as I stand in the cave. You can see dozens of feet up either side of this free-hanging slab until the darkness keeps it’s secret of how it got there. This slab had already slid down and is resting on the sandy surface on both ends, with the center arched enough to form this cave. It seemed that at any moment the slab could drop the final seven feet and squish both Kerri and I with no hope of survival. It was crazy amazing.

Another mile down the road brought us to our final destination; Echo Park, where the Green River from the North and Yampa River from the East collide and become one. We hung around long enough to get a feel for he small tent-only campground and say hello to Steamboat Rock before heading back up that gritty gravel road and to the trailer.

Originally, the plan was to stay at the campground at the Quarry side of the National Monument, but the crowds and the time of day convinced us to simply keep on driving towards our next destination. Again, we cut some time off the following day’s drive, and as luck would have it, we found a great spot to call home for a night in Ashley National Forest. Just South of the Flaming Gorge area is a simple Forest Road. Here we pulled off, nestled up to an Aspen grove, and let the dogs loose for a cool evening of fun and relaxation. A meal and a few cocktails later, the day was complete and we tucked in for a good night’s sleep.

I was just at Echo Park last week. I had a campsite all picked out and I was settled in when it started to cloud over. Then there was a light sprinkling of rain. Then thunder in the distance. I thought about the steep unpaved grade out of there, and the Park Service's warning that it was impassable when wet. So rather than risk being stuck, I packed up and left. I went to the Green River campground over on the Utah side of the park. It was bland in comparison, but at least I wouldn't get stuck.

We would have just missed each other MrNoodly. We went into Echo Park this past Saturday. We were going to stay at Green River as well, but kept driving and instead stayed at the fine location in the National Park, on our way up into WY.

Small world

Fossils, Ghosts, and Alpine
http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/fossils-ghosts-and-alpine/

We left our overnight spot in the Aspen grove early the next morning. Even with some mileage cut off our route from the previous day’s extra drive, it was still a moderately long haul for the day, and we had two locations along the route to visit. We would be passing through the Flaming Gorge area which proved to be quite scenic, but would be far from our sort of place to hang out. The reservoir is huge, and the gorge is beautiful, but the ambiance of weekender crowds (as in most National Rec Areas) would put us off quickly. Not to worry, we were just rolling through anyway, snapping only a few quick photos along the route.

If and whenever possible, I try to include any National Parks into our route that one or both of us may not have visited before, and one was right up the road. While I have been to Fossil Butte back in 2011, Kerri had never been. We popped in to Fossil Butte National Monument for that very reason. In those 5 years since my visit, the NPS completed the construction of the new Visitor’s Center which now included many fossils on display. They were not there in my original visit. We chose not to take a hike due to the heat and humidity, instead deciding to see our next destination – right up the road – and power past it to our destination scheduled for the next day. This, in turn, would give us a full day to go out and have fun instead of a third day of driving.

The final sight seeing of the day was a stumbled-upon-find of a ghost town, roadside of our planned route, and just a few miles down further down the road from Fossil Butte. We tried, but there is little about Sage Ghost Town. We were not even sure if it was on private property or not, but we found the gates to be unlocked and no signage threatening us regarding trespass. We kept the dogs on leash as there were horses grazing nearby and toured the old ghost town which consisted of only a few old structures. It was a cool road-trip stop, and for the more adventurous, I think it would be a cool overnight spot… although a bit grey in it’s legality.

In the end, we moved on, heading North along the Wyoming/Idaho border. Some miles we were in Idaho, other miles in Wyoming, and some we were certain we were straddling the state line as we drove North. Eventually we arrived at our destination for the week; Alpine, Wyoming… or actually, we would drive a few miles past it, right back into Idaho, and find one of the nicest little camps we have had in a while. That story, for another day.

Indian Creek boondocking
http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/indian-creek-boondocking/

Back at the end of August we rolled into Alpine, Wyoming to stay near enough to the Grand Teton National Park – as it was our destination the following week – but far enough away to avoid the Labor Day Weekend crowds. Not far out of Alpine, and across Idaho state lines, is Palisades Reservoir in the Caribou-Targhee National Forest. Here at Indian Creek, we though we would camp along the water for the week.

We soon realized the flaw in that plan as the four-wheelers, quads, and dirt-bikers were doing their thing in the large open areas near the water. Not only do we not care to be near all that dust, but same with the noise. And the dogs would be unsafe both to each other and to those having fun on their vehicles. The camping wasn’t great to begin with; just a large open and sandy patch of land that the water once claimed as the lake bottom. So, after a single night, we set out to find another place to camp with a little more P&Q (peace and quiet).

As luck would have it, we did not need to move far at all. Just across the highway and two miles down a gravel road lay the best campsite in the entire area (we know, we checked them all) and we moved right in, and a whole week before the Labor Day crowds would arrive.

Our new home had a stream rambling past, trees on either side of us, an a large flat area for the trailer and space for the dogs to play. Immediately, Byron was in the water and Moose was in the bushes hunting for rodents. In fact, Moose actually caught his first even mouse here, beginning his long career as a mouse-killer. If only we could convince him to be so diligent to the rodents that make it inside the trailer.

There still lay another mile or so of dirt road beyond our site and by the Thursday before Labor Day RV-traffic started rolling down the road. Friday we counted dozens of trailers, most in the 40+ foot range and almost all carrying “toys” (quads, bikes, etc) with them. We were lucky that our spot sheltered us from the crowds gathering up the road, but we knew it was too large to be alone that weekend. Eventually, someone would come asking to stay beside us, and that did happen just after sunset on Friday night.

A truck, towing a horse trailer, came down to our plot of land. I went out to greet and welcome and met three cowboys looking for a place to pitch tent for the night so they could ride the trails in the morning. We couldn’t as for better neighbors in my opinion. They were gone by first light, riding the trails all day, then came in around dinner time and packed everything back up to go home.

We left the following day (Sunday) to pull into our favorite spot to camp in the entire West, which would become our home for two weeks and a long-planned adventure back country camping in the Grand Teton National Park.

so many adventures! such beautiful scenery! awesome way to spend your lives

Yak-packing in Grand Teton
http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/yak-packing-in-grand-teton/

This past weekend was a year and a half in the planning. During our visit to, and kayaking of, Grand Teton National Park in May of 2015 we spotted some boat in campsites on Leigh Lake and we just knew we had to camp there. From that day on, the trip to “yak-pack” into the back country site was our end-game.

Reservations were made well in advance, taking into consideration that we did not want to be in the park in peak season. We chose the weekend after Labor Day as the weekend for the trip, thinking it would be less crowded (a half truth). We bought backpacking supplies earlier this year and even did a test backpacking adventure to ensure we were prepared for this yak-packing trip. Slowly but surely, the date crept closer and closer until this past weekend – and thanks to Conor driving out from Colorado to dog and trailer-sit – we were able to finally put the kayaks in the water (nearly 1 full year since our last kayak trip) for this long awaited trip.

The kayaks, fully loaded with gear (plus 4 beers and some fire wood) were nearly twice as heavy as usual. Surprisingly, they still felt great in the water. However, we knew we had a portage of a few hundred yards to get to Leigh Lake and it was here that the weight was going the be a problem. This year, we made sure to bring the kayak-wheels to take the weight during the portage. Even with my continued back pain causing issues, the wheels took the brunt of the weight making it fairly easy to haul the heavy yaks to Leigh Lake. Many tourists commented on the wheels, which we both found odd. Aren’t they normal gear for any kayak?

Once on Leigh Lake we had a smooth 2-mile paddle to our site, revisiting the path and scenery we took last year… this time no beavers though. As we arrived to camp we found the site still occupied. We paddled a little further to beach at the Paintbrush Canyon river inlet and relax while the previous campers packed up.

Within an hour we were in our site and setting up, which went smoothly thanks to the practice we had in the past few months. It wasn’t long before we were in full-relax mode, and with a 4G LTE signal Kerri got right to her normal thing.

Eventually, Kerri finished the Internet (a daily task for her) and she set to cooking while I started a campfire. The meal was consumed, fire was shared, and the sun began to set, finishing off our first day alone on the lake.

As is customary for me, sleep came only in short spurts on the first night in a tent. I only get good sleep in the final hour or two before waking, making for a groggy Van-Tramp the following day. Nearby elk bugled through the night, and a few large thumps were heard near the NPS-supplied bear-box. The assumption is that a bear came by to see if we left him anything to eat, but was met only by a locked box. Frustration overtook him, and he took a swipe at the box… that’s my story at least, who really knows? Could have been a big squirrel I guess.

The plan was to get moving early the next morning (after Kerri finishes the Internet again) to paddle North on Leigh Lake to find the old Ranger Cabin, built in the 1920’s, now a National Historic Place. Although we set out early, we did not do so early enough, and by 1PM the wind started up. We were still two miles away from camp, and the wind blowing 10-15mph in our face. With some serious effort, and a few spats between us about what the shortest route may be, we eventually made it back to our tree-lined bank that offered ample protection from the wind. There we fixed ourselves lunch, and drank two of our four beers that we had cooling in the icy river beside camp. Some reading was attempted… a nap then ensued.

As evening rolled upon us, the routine of meal and campfire repeated from the prior night. We were happily startled a few times by the Elk, who crept pretty close in the night but stayed just outside of sight. Deer, on the other hand, dropped in to visit three separate times to ask us when we were leaving so they could rummage through the fire pit. We tried to stay up late enough to watch the stars, but by 8:30PM we were tucked into the tent again. This time we left the rain-fly open so we could see the stars from bed. Sleep came much easier the second night, thanks in part to exhaustion from the lack of it on the first night.

The morning came, Kerri was served her final camp-coffee in bed, and we began the 2-hour process of cleaning and packing up. We had a threat of rain coming by noon, and wanted to be paddling by 10 AM, which we only barely made. The wind stayed strong all night and was still going in the morning. Luckily, it had at least changed direction which meant it was helping us make the trip South on Leigh Lake. This change in wind also brought the smoke from the nearby forest fire between Grand Teton and Yellowstone. Kerri had noticed it in the night, while I peacefully slept.

Our paddle back was quick, with no sight seeing performed. The much cooler temperatures, and a few well placed waves right into my lap, kept us steady and on target for a noon rendezvous with the truck at the String Lake canoe launch parking lot.

In the end, the trip went too fast. After a year and a half buildup, 48 hours on the lake was just not enough. I’d have like to spend another day or two out there to be honest (although, not in the rain that appeared later that evening). The entire trip was certainly ambitious, with heavy kayaks, cold overnight temps, and the ever-present risk of capsizing with all our gear onboard. But, it made for a bigger payoff in the end.

Kerri’s Instagram images below. Enjoy.
http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/yak-packing-in-grand-teton/

Good lord, VT, that is an insanely beautiful spot!! Thanks for sharing.

Queen said:
Good lord, VT, that is an insanely beautiful spot!!  Thanks for sharing.

Yea, that's why it was on our list. Amazing place, and no trails lead out too it so no one else around.

I'm starting to test the limitations of my mangled up knee, and it seems like using good hiking poles and watching my footing, there are a lot of gorgeous unspoiled places I can still visit. Sure hope that spot is one of them, the pics are breathtaking, the real thing must be awe inspiring.

Queen said:
I'm starting to test the limitations of my mangled up knee, and it seems like using good hiking poles and watching my footing, there are a lot of gorgeous unspoiled places I can still visit.  Sure hope that spot is one of them, the pics are breathtaking, the real thing must be awe inspiring.

What is better is that you can only hike about 200 yards of this trail to get to this spot. The rest of the 3+ miles is all done on water and is the only way to access these back country sites on Leigh Lake. Kayaking is real easy on the knees (other than you have to carry your kayak those 200 yards from one lake to another).

Boondocking outside of Grand Teton, again
http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/boondocking-outside-of-grand-teton-again/

During our two week stay outside of Grand Teton it had been pretty quite. Our days were two weeks of work days surrounding the weekend yak-packing. There was not much time to do much else. No hiking, or climbing, or kayaking… just work, and a little socializing with neighbors at our favorite boondocking spot in the country.

The day we arrived we pulled into a group that had already claimed *the* spot on the hill. Aaron & Amanda Earles, as well as Joe and Rhonda Hendricks coaxed our arrival a day early. And with the Hendricks planning to leave for Yellowstone two days later, we inherited their spot, possibly to the dismay of everyone else camped nearby as all were eyeballing the two or three spots that had the massive view of the Tetons.

During our weekend yak-packing, Conor came up from Colorado to watch over the dogs and the trailer. This was his final chance to do some camping before getting prepared for his military deployment. We made sure to leave him a full tank of water and an empty gray tank just to be sure. I cleared it with him, “you know about water conservation in the trailer, right?” and he responded with an affirmative. However, upon our return 48 hours later, he had somehow gone through all 40 gallons of fresh water in the tank! I’m still not sure how he did that without showers, but I will be sure to give him flak about it for years to come.

Kerri’s Instagram prowess found us meeting up with yet another new full-timing couple; Cory & Andy, who just happened to be camping a hundred yards away. Invitations were sent out for a night with cocktails and getting to know each other, and we did just that. It was my turn later in our stay, with a Van+Airstream combo pulling up that I had recognized from Instagram; Steve & Tess,also fairly new to the road, had just started following me the day prior.

We finally pulled out after 13 days camped in our favorite spot, and completing nearly 5 months stay in the Colorado/Wyoming area. We arrived in Colorado back in April, to the winter just finishing and leave Wyoming with freezing overnight temperatures just beginning again. We turn back into Idaho to visit lands we both have never been too before.

As a consolation prize for reading this far I leave you with a photo taken by Joe Hendricks of Kerri and myself during our stay…

… and Kerri’s Instagram photos

http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/boondocking-outside-of-grand-teton-again/

Craters of the Moon
http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/craters-of-the-moon/

Ah… Craters of the Moon. I’ve had you on my to-do list every single year I’ve been traveling yet I never really made it into Idaho to drop in for a visit. This time around we get to meet. Every time I looked at a map of everywhere I have been in the West, a huge hole always glared back at me. Idaho… just sitting there flipping me the bird. In that gaping void is a National Monument that thoroughly surprised me, now that I have had the chance to drop in.

The National Park service had had the campground in the park closed all season (for repaving). The fear was that we were only going to get a day-trip into the park. Lucky for us, and a few others, just two days before our arrival the campground was re-opened, and we grabbed up a spot as soon as we arrived, then immediately took to an auto tour of the park.

With cooled lava as far as the eyes could see, we hiked to the top of a cider cone where a single large tree stands guard. We hiked into other cones to peak down into the empty expanses below, waiting for mythical creatures to come charging out.

Then, as the afternoon sun was dropping lower in the sky, we set out on a 2 mile hike to find a lava cave to explore. Bats, rats (actually it was a squirrel), and darkness kept us company for the next hour as we tinkered about.

The following day we wanted more caving action, and with headlamps in hand, we set out on the trail that was known for having numerous caves… and we crawled and/or into each one over a few hours.

I wonder how much longer the NPS will allow visitors to freely wander these caves. I hope for a long time, but I know it will take only a single “bad apple” to ruin it for everyone else. The sheer joy of being able to tinker about at our own pace, no ranger yapping away and no crowded tour group, made this park stand out. Hiking up top, on the lava, is special enough for anyone that has not done it before (I have, at Volcanoes National Park in Hawaii) but the be *under* that lava… well that was just amazing. It’s good to have finally been able to visit Craters of the Moon.

Many more photos at http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/craters-of-the-moon/

Sweet!! I hear you about the bad apples, I got to see the Pieta and the Colosseum in Rome before ropes and bullet proof glass, climbed Mount Vesuvius and got to go into the crater to the steam vents, sat in Maximillians (Roman Emperor) chair in his castle... now all roped off and only seen from a distance.

Dropping in on more of Idaho
http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/dropping-in-on-more-of-idaho/

On the drive from the Grand Teton area to Craters of the Moon, we dropped in on Hell’s half acre. Although not a national park (or even a State park) Hell’s half acre is a lava field of more than 68,000 acres with one “hell” of a trail system on top of the lava itself.  It is a National Natural Landmark, and a wilderness study area. It appears that overnight backpacking is allowed, which I’m not so sure I would ever want to do… sleeping on lava seems hard! We were in the processes of a long day’s drive, so we stayed only long enough for Kerri and me to snap a few photos and let the dogs run around a bit. It was a nice precursor to what lay ahead at Craters of the Moon.

PS – you can easily overnight at the trailhead parking lot. With space for a large rig or two, a fire ring, tables, and even a porta-potty, it would have been a great location to stop, go for an afternoon hike, then stay the night (or two).

Following the two day at Craters of the Moon, we had planned the rest of the week to be free-camping at the Hayspur Fish Hatchery. The hatchery has a large grassy field in which campers are allowed to stay up to 10-days for free (donations accepted) and this sounded just amazing.

Hayspur Hatchery was the first Idaho hatchery and was built in 1907. Egg collection from broodstock dates back to 1910. Hatchery work and stocking occurred in the early 1920s. – Dept Fish & Game

I must admit that the place looked fantastic in the pictures on Campendium.com, but the reality was very different. Kerri felt it too, and though neither of us could say we disliked the place, we both wanted something more than just a free place to camp for the week. We wanted something “special” after weeks of camping in very special locations… something more than just dried-grass field with dozens of others around running their generators from 7am to 10pm. So, after two nights – one of which we got to hang out with the Nomadic Neighbors some more – we packed up and left by 7am.