Txjbird & Queenie on a Safari in a Safari

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make sure to make a list of what's needed and cross off things as you go or keep a list of what you have done. You need the balance of knowing you have done something as well as what needs to be done.

Tell Queenie to shape up or I'll send the wonder puppy down to have a chat with her. :p

:huh: My eating, sleeping, & working schedules have become so erratic that I have to check the screen on my tablet sometimes to even know what day it is.

I have finally settled on some tires.  It was down to either Walmart or Firestone for installation because both are in my future traveling sphere.  Since I'm buying Firestone tires I took an estimate from another tire store to them and they matched it.  If I had been staying in this area without long trips away I would have went with Tire Mart because they were really helpful and I didn't get the "this is what you want/need,  I'm busy, you're female and just don't understand runaround".  I'm not being sexist it happens. However their lifetime rotation and road hazard was only for service at their stores.

End of story is 4 FS 215/75R/15s Destination LE 2s  60k factory warranty....road hazard, alignment if needed, brakes checked,  $513.56 which is below Tire Marts est. and about $90 below Firestones regular prices.  I couldn't afford the big honking AT 8ply truck tires that I wanted that would not neccesarily been the best fit on the Safari so I'm going for the best I can afford.  I'm usually pretty lucky with tires...never a blowout and only 2 repairs in the last 10yrs when I picked up nails in my wanderings.

Queenie and I were at the storage unit until 8pm on Sun.  Mainly organizing and emptying the van so Lon can try and un-jimmy the rear doors, pull 1 seat base, put in the new wireing thingy for the running lights, & the elec. port in a rear door then it's finishing the towing set up and it's ready.....I hope.

Have a good week ya'll

TJB & Q

:) Tuesday we had the good                     :s  The bad                        :D  The damn good

:-/ Well it was almost good anyways.  I just noticed that I was over charged $15.96 =4x $3.99 for valve stems yesterday at Firestone.  They were supposed to not charge me for stems, mounting and balancing or tire Installation.  They did however lower the tire price to $90ea which was $10 less than Tire Mart.  So new tires with 60k warranty + $40. road hazard, taxes+ recycling fee was $460.30..........Now I'm really really PO'd... I just saw a $12 "labor" fee.   I guess that was driving the Safari into the shop.  So I see a total of $27 I was over charged.  I'll be seeing these guys 1st thing in the AM.

:s The bad was a "quote" for additional "needed" repairs.  2 idler arms installed, clean and adjust rear brake drums = $453.  I told them just the tires & the other would have to wait.  I walked down 2 blocks and talked to my mechanic to tell him what was going on.  I remember Lon telling me there was no problem with the suspension and he confirmed that.  He and I had worked out a list of "needed" repairs and a list of "additional" things like the new hitch, helper springs, & other stuff needed to tow the Aliner safely.  He'll check it out next week.........My to do list just keeps growing.

:D Damn good.......was after dark Queenie and I decided to fold down and secure the Aliner because of the severe weather reports.  That's one of those things that sound EZ if you say it fast enough.  Away we went to the storage lot.    Everything in the Aliner needed to be placed on the floor below hinge level + about 2 inches.  I used boxes, baskets and totes to keep stuff together.  Things on the bed, in the sink, under the sink, on the bench seats and the outside elec cords had to be moved and secured.  The 2 side walls had to be disconnected from the 2 roof sections.  Then the sides are folded in while you stand in the trailer.  I have to stand on the 3rd rung of a ladder outside to raise the front roof section high enough that the rear sections folds down pulling the longer front section down over it.  They secure with latches on each side of the trailer.  I only needed to put the ladder, 1 couch cushion and a small shelf in the van.
Queenie's job other than supervision was to bark at the feral cats and get off of the porch when the cussin' started. :huh:

Our new personal best for the Aliner lock down,  start to finish was........25 minutes......not bad since it's only the 2nd time we've done it.  Queenie  did jump a little when I yelled DONE and thru my hands up like any bull dogger would  while doing a little Happy dance  :D

I hope everyone came thru the bad weather OK.  While living in a house trailer in Texas where you see could see daylight in places between the floor and walls we used to out run tornados, going N. or S. on I 45 from Palmer TX just S. of Dallas.

Jewellann

You are faster than I am getting the trailer ready to go.

Shops are like that. The last time I had the ex take their Expedition in to have a caliper rebuilt the shop came up with over $1400 in things that needed to be done. It included a brake job that didn't replace the pads. A $300 charge to change a heater hose that leaked yet never left a drop in the garage but didn't repair the caliper that it was sent down for. Afterwards it sounded terrible and leaked like all hell. When I took mine in they said they would give me a free inspection. I said great but I'll have another shop do the work. By gum my 13 year old truck with nearly 100,000 miles didn't have a thing wrong with it. ;)

:) I called Firestone and later today I'll swing by and pick up a refund for the labor and valve stem charges.  Get this,  their computer automacticly adds a "labor fee".  I'm stressing about even the possibility of suspension repairs so I called Lon and tomorrow I'l swing by and he'll look at it for me again even though The Safari will be there next week he'll check it tomorrow.
   This is a 3 man operation right on Main St. and they are always busy.  It's nice when I'm told you don't need that work done,  even when i do need the repair it's always way less than other local shops.  The first work they did was $360........the high quote from another shop was $850.

So if Queenie will get off of the dirty laundry pile we can go play " What's in the box? " at the storage.  Also pay this months rents   :s :huh: :( :-/ :mad:

Jewellann and Sleepy, the 4 legged short person

That sucks, Jewellann, those automatic RIPOFFS are total BS. They do it hoping no one will complain and make a mint on it.

jimindenver said:
You are faster than I am getting the trailer ready to go.

We only secured it for the weather.  Basically just put it in the floor, pull the elec cords and secure, then fold 'er up.  I've had 2 28ft TTs & a 35 ft.  They were not as EZ as my little " fold & go " with no sewer line and I wasn't hooked to a water source.

Once in Sand Springs OK I quit a job where they decided they could screw me around without the appropriate sweet talkin' & kissin'.  I had a 28TT set up on the river.  I stopped at the office and told them I was pulling out to return to TX.  They would send someone down to pull the fence and check the lot........by the time he got there I was hooked up and setting in the road outside my fence.  The owner smiled and shook his head saying "In all my years of doing this I've never seen someone hookup and roll as fast as you".   Hey, when I'm done, I'm done and when I'm gone, I'm gone..........even being short...fluffy...old as dirt.......my attitude hasn't changed a lot.......just a little more mellow. :)

Jewellann

that's PERZACLTY why they do it, I watch my receipts like a hawk
And YES, there are still shops that target women and others who 'don't seem' like the types to know better due to presumed lack of knowledge, which as a former pro wrench myself, pisses me off
My wife and all her friends used to say to service writers at shops 'let me call my Husband / Friend's husband, he's a mechanic and will understand what you're telling me' Most of the time, I'd already looked at the car
"yer wife's / friend's car needs a *insert expensive work here*"
"yeah no it doesn't, she's only there because I don't have time to work on it because my shop is super busy because we have a good rep because we DON'T RIP CUSTOMERS OFF! Now put my wife / friend back on the phone
"Yes?"
"Leave, right now, don't even speak to that a**hat, and try somewhere else"

:idea:  THIS IS A TEST  :idea:

If you are reading this it only took 5 trys over a 2 day period to post on my Captain's Log   :(

It also means I'm not sitting here cussin' like the trucker/heavy equipment operator/factory worker I was in some previous lives wishin' I had a BIG COLD BLOODY MARY made from scratch with V8 & a celery spear swizzle stick and not that bottled/can stuff some places use.

OK I'm hittin' the magic button  :huh:

:huh:  Well I did "quick edit" to add to my last post and saved the edit however it didn't make it through the black hole.
  NEXT  :huh:

TJB

AbuelaLoca,   About 100yrs ago when I was traveling alot I was on the CB on the road and at home.  On the road when someone asked me where I was my standard answer was " I don't know exactly.......but I'm making damn good time!   That's where I am on EVERYTHING........finishing the van repairs,  gettin' the Aliner ready to roll,  clearing out FOUR storage units and my apt looks like someone turned it upside down and shook it 3 or  4 times before sitting it back down.   I know I'm working and making progress, however I look around and think Well Hell just look what needs to be done now  :huh:

I see that you've been busy with Juanita.  Also now you have a bed!  I bought a roll of Reflectix at Lowes for the Aliner when I first bought it.  Since I'll spend more time in the TT than the van I'm gonna cut down a couple of those silver window shades for the sliding door window.  All the rear side windows have accordian shades so I've just stuck black foam board from $ Tree between the shades and windows....I can tell the difference.

I admire you and everyone else that has dealt with leaks/doors not closing, and ripping things apart to start just about from scratch on your builds.  I'm so glad I got the Aliner 1st.  There really wasn't anything wrong with it other than needing tires and maybe the bearings repacked or replaced.  

Just crawling/scooting around on the floor trying to lay a new vinyl plank floor [didn't happen], or staining the lower wood work, and taking off and replacing cabinet doors........All these simple tasks brought home to me that physicaly I'm in way worse shape than I thought.  In 2005 I painted the interior of a 5 room house in SD I'd just bought by climbing up a  ladder and then standing on a stool on top of a cedar chest. Then in 2007 when I sold the house I built sideboards on the Ranger and also on a homemade trailer built from a Chey Luv pickup bed.  Today I think I'd be in deep Doo Doo if I had a flat tire on anything   :(

I'd read posts and watched videos of folks taking the interior out of vans and building them out from the bare walls/floor/roofs.  After the Aliner I realized that I'm not up to that.  Unless it's a needed repair the Safari interior except for the rear seats will remain intact.  I have found out that there is no padding or underlayment of any kind under the 19yr old carpet.  It's not torn or stinky so it will stay for a while.  It's fugly however I have plenty of throw rugs   :D

Oh yeah....I saw you referred to yourself as "crazy Granma".  When my 19yr old Grandson was little as soon as I got to their house it was     "Where you goin' Granmaw, I'm going' too"  I'd tell him " I'm goin' CRAZY ",  I'm goin' with ya!, "OK go ask if you can go".  Then he'd run thru the place lookin' for his folks yellin'  " I'm going Crazy with Granmaw "........He never asked, he just was goin' and that was it!  When he was a little bit older I'd say " I need gas money "  then It was " I'm goin' Crazy with Granmaw and WE NEED GAS MONEY NOW"

Jewellann

Now I Have No Idea How This Got Here
      vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv below
highdesertranger said:
Walmart usually has good prices on tires.  plus they are everywhere so if you need a road hazard claim when on the road it's easy.  highdesertranger

LOL... you've been busy!! I haven't started on the house yet, but I'm telling the kids this weekend that if they don't want me to sell it, they better take it out of here!!!! They have until the end of May to figure out what they can use in their house, then it's all going, going, gone! If I can't sell it, I'll give it away!

PS... many moons ago, when I was on the CB, my handle was Lucky Lindi... I wasn't a grandma or crazy yet!!

Txjaybird said:
Now I Have No Idea How This Got Here
      vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv below

Either you clicked on the "quote" button on HighDesertrangers original post, or this crazy software THINKS you did.

:huh: This morning  my PRO 12 tablet I use was totally DEAD.  So I dug out this Asus and had to get Tech support from Century Link on my land line to even access my Wifi.  Then I had trouble posting here.

I've just pulled the plug and the battery pack on this, waited a little while and put it back together and WHOOPEE!  There ya'll are   :D

I'd also asked Forum Moderator to help me because I couldn't figure out the right password here.  I never log out because I've had trouble logging back on.

Now if I could just figure out how to access my gmail.  All my accounts are supposed to be linked, however that doesn't seem to be happening.

Now I'll hit the magic button.

Jewellann

:D YAY it worked!  Queenie and I are going to hang up laundry and take a power nap.  I'm pretending I live a carefree life without storage units, packed apt, Van and a T.T. that need work and $$$$ spent on them.  Also I ate lunch at lunch time today...butter beans, chicken fried steak & mashed taters just smothered in white cream gravy.......no wait 1st meal of the day is breakfast, right.  Well I was almost "normal"for a minute....musta been a NY minute, things are faster up there.  ;)

Jewellann

Happy that you got all that worked out. I always consider breakfast food is whatever the hell sounds good to me. But then again, I eat 'breakfast food' for dinner quite a lot. Could be the source of my insomnia??

I think being "normal" would be boring. Keep 'em guessing.

Rob

Gunny said:
I think being "normal" would be boring. Keep 'em guessing.

If a shrink who happens to see you has to start guessing, that just encourages them to pull you in for a "tune up".