Txjbird & Queenie on a Safari in a Safari

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Txjaybird

Reaction score
:D On Sunday the 25th it will be my 1st anniversary on CRLV.  I had totally given up on ever being able to have a van to travel in.  My Mom who hasn't driven much in the past 3 years offered her 1998 Safari high top to me.  "As is where is" were her terms and I was barely able to convince her to let my Mechanic look at it.  So far I need a right front wheel speed sensor { whatever that is }  Also rear helper springs and a complete hitch and trailer light set up.  The Safari seems so low to the ground after 13ys of driving my 4x4 Ranger.

Coming out of Dothan Al  at dark 30.  I drove about 20 miles to a friends house...........with NO rear lights and only the "daytime" headlights on.  Hey in the Ranger you pull the light knob and all your lights come on....what can I say?  I had to buy a flashlight to find the dome light switch so I could see all the light switches.  There are so many switches and knobs I'm lucky I didn't hit the seat ejection switch...........I wonder if the automatic pilot system works :D

Queenie who had her 1st Safari ride today is use to a bench seat.  She kept looking for the middle of the seat.  Unless she's hanging out a window like a hound dog she rides standing up, leaning against me with her front paws on the center arm rest.

If anyone can give me pointers on how to remove the 2 rear captins seats and the sofa/flip bed I'd appreciate all the help I can get.

I'm still working on the interior of the Aliner trailer.  Even with rain and cold days there was only 1 time I lighted 2 large candles to help take the chill off it.  Where it is stored it  has a roof and 3 sides with only the front open to the weather.  

Hopefully soon I will have pics posted of the changes I make so that both the Safari and Aliner will be outfitted to fit & fill Queenie and my needs on the road.

Happy Holidays To Everyone!

You know if I'd been better this year maybe Santa wouldn't have dropped me on the floor when I said "and I want a solar setup for the Safari and the Aliner    :angel:  I'm glad Queenie bit the old so and so,You Go Girl :p

Jewellann and the Queen

Jewellann

Way to go on the safari. Awfully nice of your mom. You might have to get Queenie a footstool or sumtin to bridge the gap, I heard she was askin just where the button to the ejection seat was. ;)

Do you have room to fill the gap with something like a milk carton or cooler and a pillow for Queenie?
Maybe a folding camp chair.....one of the kiddie ones??

highdesertranger said:
congrats Jewellann.  does this mean you will be at the RTR?   highdesertranger
I would like very much to be there.  I don't think I'll be able accomplish everything I need to do to prepare for that long of a trip..  The only heat source in the Safari is the dash heat.  I wouldn't feel comfortable towing the Aliner that far for our maiden voyage.  I do have a Aunt in Texas that will be 94 in January...still lives in her house.  We spoke on Sunday and I'm supposed to go meet her new man friend...he's younger don't cha know?  I'll see how that trip goes.

jimindenver said:
Jewellann

Way to go on the safari. Awfully nice of your mom. You might have to get Queenie a footstool or sumtin to bridge the gap, I heard she was askin just where the button to the ejection seat was. ;)
Yeah she better mind her manners or I'll ban her from sharing the heating pad!

ArtW said:
Nice, hope this works out well for you
:)  Thank You,  Life is a strange critter.  It's been a strange year, just waiting for changes and BOOM!! Some change for the good and some for the well hell WTF was that all about.   Well at least it ain't boring :D
rvpopeye said:
Do you have room to fill the gap with something like a milk carton or cooler and a pillow for Queenie?
Maybe a folding camp chair.....one of the kiddie ones??
I have 2 sizes of milk crates and a few of the single plastic drawer units.  I'll find one that fits there for storage and Queenie the poor thing will have to decide which of her 2 beds she wants there or just her big people bed pillow.  She is so spoiled and still refuses to do chores around the house, except for floor patrol when I'm cooking.

Congratulations on your new van and your anniversary! If the trip to Texas goes well just keep heading west and you'll be in Quartzsite in no time at all! ;-)

Jewellann, if you pass thru the north side (Ft Worth Dallas) pm me and we'll break bread if you desire. You can audition my wonderful voice.

Rob

Gunny said:
Jewellann, if you pass thru the north side (Ft Worth Dallas) pm me and we'll break bread if you desire. You can audition my wonderful voice.

Rob

:D OK Buster,  You should watch out for what you wish for  :angel: Does Sonny Bryan still have B B Q joints?

Jewellann

tonyandkaren said:
Congratulations on your new van and your anniversary!  If the trip to Texas goes well just keep heading west and you'll be in Quartzsite in no time at all! ;-)

Thanks for your words of encouragement.  As my Papa always said " Some things are just easier said than done".  As I'm homesick for Texas when I head west I want more things in my life settled, in case I decide to relocate further west than I am now.

Jewellann

:) Today Queenie just took the Safari over.  Of course she waited until I'd done most of the work of sorting and cleaning and sweeping.  With all the doors open we had a nice breeze going and plenty of sunshine.

When Queenie was a young  dog it was thought she would need knee/leg surgery.  I had to take away her doggie steps and block the furniture where she couldn't jump up on it.  So  she heard a lot of "don't you do it" growing up.  Luckily she grew out of her problem, however is often hesitant about jumping up and down off of things.

Today I put her on the folded down bed in the Safari and she settled right in for a nap in the sun with the breeze blowing across her.  What a life!  Later with encouragement she went from the bed to the front passenger seat to the seat behind the driver where I opened the small slider window.  We took a little road trip.  Every once in a while she'd come look at me before she'd jump to a new seat.  She has always been in the confines of the front seat of the Ranger truck.  I was worried about her moving around so freely needlessly.  She never changed seats unless the van was stopped.

She is such a good little 4 legged person & I know she will be a good travelling companion.  She doesn't sass or back talk :-/ like some little 2 legged people I know.

Jewellann

I've had a really bad toothache since a few days before Christmas.  I'm very careful what I eat so hopefully I can put off having it pulled for a few months.

This week the Safari is going in the shop.  When I had it checked out before getting it the diagnostic thingy said it neede a R. front wheel sensor, now the anti lock brake light comes on and the front brakes seem to stop quicker on one side causing a front end shudder.  I'm no mechanic, this is just what it feels like to me. Hopefully the hitch from my friends GMC Jimmy will fit the van. 

I'm waiting for the next surprise.  It's been raining here for days.  When I opened the rear doors yesterday there was some water on the bottom of the door opening however the carpet was dry.  I'm almost afraid to pull up the edge and see major rust under there. :huh:

This is just my opinion, however this week I'm sure that "FAMILY'S ARE STRANGE CRITTERS".  In mine I stopped mentioning my hopeful plans of becoming a nomad several months back.  In the 6yrs I've been back in AL every holiday is."What are you doining on...........   Then the annoncement  We are having............... at so and so's, are you coming?  No, why not?  I've explained that too many sad memories in Oct. to Dec 27th with too many deaths of loved ones does not make me always want to be around others at times.  Also when I'm uncomfortable in a group or a place I need to leave NOW, gracefully with quick goodbyes & without being questioned or hindered in leaving.

This year for the first time since 2006 I had access to a roof over my head that belongs to me and I was determined to be under it, quietly with Queenie and candles and snacks, quietly, yes I said that before.   It doesn't matter that it's just a pop up T.T.  I nicely told my Mom what my plans were.  I even explained to her that each holiday involves some sort of family drama and I'm just not up to it this year.

The day after Christmas my Mom asked what I did and I told her " Queenie and I spent time in the Aliner and went to Bob's to pick up the trailer hitch he has offered me for the Safari"  I also asked her about her day with the family.  A few days later Mom said  "that my sister said and my Mom agrees that I treat them like they are invisible.  I spent my Chritmas by myself and THEN I WENT TO BOB's House not the family gathering.  Also I don't answer my phone when they call ".  I never answer my phone.  I don't have caller ID and I don't like picking up my phone to random callers.   After all it's my phone, I pay for it.  I do return all calls.  I have voice mail and check it for msgs. within minutes after a call if I'm home.  So I now know why my sister didn't return my call and my neice was not very friendly when I called her and why her husband who is a used car salesman and said he was interested in The Ranger I'm selling hasn't called.  I was one of 3 that didn't attend.

Well my Papa always said "when they are pickin' on you they're leavin' other folks alone".  This year it must have been my turn in the barrel.

I think at the heart of the matter is I chose to spend my Christmas day where and with who I wanted to.  In my Aliner, with Queenie, and my oldest and best friend who was spending his Christmas in his family home that he bought from his siblings after his Mom passed away last Febuary.

:idea: AT LEAST I WAS SMART ENOUGH NOT TO TELL THEM WE HAD CHRISTMAS DINNER AT WAFFLE HOUSE :)   IT WAS FUN AND UNDRAMATIC.  Queenie had a fenced 1/2 acre to just  run and play in.  This was Miss Polly's house, Bob's Mom, and Queenie has run thru it since she was 5wks old.

I just don't understand why sometimes those that "love" us can't just honor our wishes to live as we want and not always do what we are "supposed" to do.  I don't try to interfere with my families schedules or impose on them. 

I came here to AL for a year to reconnect with my family........That will 7rs ago this coming March........I'm pretty sure it's time for me to disconect and add a little distance.  The road has always seemed to call to me.  For years now I've ignored that call.  I am happiest just going down the road at times, it doesn't matter how far I go, it's the movement that seems to give me peace.

A Happier New Year To Us All

Jewellann

Jewellann

If you give them the power, they will use it to control you. Opinions are like a bout of gas, it will pass. The important thing is that you enjoyed yourself.

I know you want to get the ride going but please don't let that tooth get too bad. It's not just the pain, the infection can do bad things to you.

Hi Jewellann,
Looks like you took a page right out of my book on how you spent Christmas. I went and did the whole family thing Christmas eve and then headed right back to Maine. 4 hours round trip so not too bad. Me and Camo spent Christmas in the travel trailer and did a little work on the house. Just us two. My family couldn't figure out why I wouldn't spend the night and spend Christmas with everybody. For starters I see them dozens of times a year so it's not like its the only time I see everyone and 2nd I'm really enjoying my place up here, so it's where I want to be.

It's ironic, but the ones that interfere with other people's lives the least are the ones who get the most interference in their own.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder,,,,,,sounds like you need to test that saying.
Sure doesn't seem like it will make them like you less but if it does it will be their loss .
From experience I can tell you that you will make so many GOOD friends that you won't miss the family BS one bit !
I don't know much about ABS brakes or toothaches but hope you get them both fixed before it's too late !

;)  is that a winky thingy?  My eyes are blurry, I've been up too  long and  really can't tell.  I was even "up" for my nap.  until Queenie figured out that I was not quite right and woke me up.  I've been up since 1am today and  busy.  Made  some progress on gettig rid of stuff.  Several boxes of junk to dumpster and several more in the back of the van.  

Met 2 ladies in Goodwill parking lot and passed along most of the stuff to them.
One is a Disabled Vet who was captured & held prisoner she disclosed to me.  Although she did not go into details it was EZ to tell that was a very bad thing for anyone to go thru. 

She has lived homeless, however now has a good friend who seems very supportive and also has her own place to live. Help to deal with the aftermath beyond physical medical care is almost none existent for females in this area thru VA Services she said.  We exchanged names and will watch for each other as we are both "Road Side Shoppers".

The following can never be said enough

Thank You To All The Servicemen and Women For Putting Your Lives On The Line So Myself and Family Can Live Free 

I also  think there is not enough said to, or done for our Vets from the powers that be.  

That's my opinion, like it or lump it as Papa use to say.

Now I'm really bummed out.

Jewellann

Jewellann, be a little leery of someone claiming to have been a POW. I'm not saying she wasn't but be skeptical. The services for women at the VA are far behind what us guys get but they (the VA) have set up several hotlines for female vets and are trying to catch up.

I mentor a female vet who served in Iraq and Afghanistan trying to help her navigate the system. She was with a group of female Marines dubbed "the Lioness's" There is a short youtube video of her and the group. I can post the link if you are interested.

Tonight I got a short email from the brother of my radio operator. His name was Terry, had only been in-country 10 days and I knew virtually nothing about him but since I was the last one to see him alive his brother likes to stay in touch. I literally have to take a Xanax and let the tears flow for a bit. There are some moments in life that are emblazoned in our minds that EVERY SINGLE DETAIL is remembered. Not pleasant.

See you in Texas maybe....Rob

Yes please post the link.  I have so much here to deal with before I can even take a day to drive to Texas for Aunt Mary's B-Day.  If i can accomplish what I need to Q and I are just going westward ho.  I'm hopeing to stay several days when I get there.  I'll tell my best friend where I've gone in case anything happens to me.  The rest of em around here....I doubt I'll be missed and care less if I am.

Jewellann

This is the story of the formation of the Lioness's.