Txjbird & Queenie on a Safari in a Safari

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jewellann >>> {{{{{BIG HUG}}}}}

One Thanksgiving I said enuff is enuff and I stayed home and me, myself and I had a big, fat peanut butter and jelly sammich... and seconds. It was wonderful.

Sassy

TJB Jewellann.
No , I really meant all of that , the last bit did sound a little winky though.
It's great that you found people in the parking lot that needed your unneeded stuff.
Even greater that you made a new friend !
I kind of hope that her story wasn't true .
I missed going to Nam by less than a week but I know how combat vets feel about fakers.

:huh:  WELL IT'S PROGRESS......SORT OF

On the Safari repairs  $$$$$

Window motor replaced  $260.  ABS system repaired  [who needs it]   $340  {disconnected now}     Turn signel  $160  {short in headlight thingy}

Battery tray   $60 [OK for now]    remove all rear seats    $60   seemed resonable until I saw the base was left in from the one I wanted out now

Class III hitch, helper springs, and wiring Safari to tow Aliner  $440     ALL PRICES ARE PARTS AND LABOR

I didn't even ask about the AC

MY PRIORITIES ARE RIGGED TO TOW........THEN MOVE SEATS SO I CAN START INTERIOR MODS.......WINDOW GOING UP/DOWN

I ALWAYS HAVE L. TURN SIGNAL, R DOESN'T BLINK WHEN NIGHT TIME HEADLIGHTS ARE ON

:huh: :huh: NOW I REALY HAVE THE HEADACHE FROM HELL :huh: :huh:

YOUR'E THOUGHTS AND INPUT APPRECIATED

JEWELLANN

My thoughts are he needs to go back in and find out why the TS acts goofy when the headlights are on, he might've made a small mistake with the wiring of the trailer harness
Also he should remove that base, that should've been included in the quote

ArtW said:
My thoughts are he needs to go back in and find out why the TS acts goofy when the headlights are on, he might've made a small mistake with the wiring of the trailer harness
Also he should remove that base, that should've been included in the quote

So far I've just had the van checked for the problems I've become aware of in the last 2 weeks or knew about going in to it.  My Mom and Sister are both so non mechanicly minded....well at least my Mom for sure.  There is a red toggle switch installed on the dash.  Our conversation sorta went like this...what's that toggle for?   a short...where/what?.. under the drivers seat....seat works fine....go ask the guy who did it......OK.  The guy sez there was/is a short? or something that wouldn't shut off completly and he couldn't find it so he put in the switch to flip after turning off ignition.  My Mom would go weeks without driving it about 2 to3yrs ago after she had a bad fall and the battery wouldn't start the van.  The battery was replaced and still a starting problem.  The funny thing is if the red toggle is a "kill" switch it sure isn't working....the van starts no matter what position it's in.   Another thing to add to the OMG WTF is wrong now list.

I'm sure Lon will pull base of seat.  After all I did ask about removing the seats and didn't mention the base's too. I'm going to try and pull the other 2 myself as they have locking/release system that has levers/handles to remove the seats and then base is bolted to floor.  

I may be able to work over the bases depending on where the bed and storage ends up going.  The base in front of side door really has to be pulled as that area may be the only place that isn't covered with bed/storage/totes/etc.

Jewellann

:mad: AL weather is just like TX,  it can't make ups it's mind?   Monsoon?  Winter?  20's or mid 70's?  The cold makes my bones/joints HURT!   Sunday in the AM at a balmy 36 with a wind chill of 28 I washed and hung out 4 lines of clothes.  When it warmed p to the 40's Queenie and I cleaned the van and organized the things that are making their home in it.  Queenie is a very good supervisor.  She kept a close eye on me while laying in the sunshine with her woods cat that I call Tom Kat.

Mystery of Red Toggle Switch is solved..........I think.  I started cleaning and organizing at the front of the van working my way back closing the various doors as I finished a area.  From the rear doors I noticed the light at the side door step was still on.  I opened and closed the door and it stayed on.  Sooooo for some reason I had a epi-fanny    :idea:   RED TOGGLE SWITCH   :idea:  The one both my Mom and her mechanic said there's a short and neither one could tell me what or where.  Well that's not right ,Mom said it's under the seat, mech said he didn't know hence the toggle switch.  Well it turns off the step lights since they don't shut off when the doors are closed,  Why the fuse wasn't pulled or the bulbs simply removed I do not know.  Safari is going to L & K Auto. & getting class lll hitch and helper springs installed Thurs. so I'll ask about it then.

Can someone tell me how a big of a job is it to install a vent and fan in this hightop,  it's not just a flat roof.  Also at some future time I'd like to swap out stationary windows for some that will open.  The 3 side windows have a little slider abouy 6in by 12in and I can't get 2 of them open.

Queenie and I are taking the WD 40 and work on that while we wash mummy sleeping bag, afghan and vintage quilt at the laundromat.

High temp today around 52 then mid 70's for a few days so it's storage unit and Aliner time   :)

I hope everyone has a good week....I intend too even if I do manage to PO a few folks......well at least I can keep myself entertained   :D

Jewellann

Jewellann, reads like you are getting things done in a timely manner. It's nice to read of other people's progress.

You are right about Texas weather, it's supposed to get up near seventy this week, that has to be a contributor to the cold I acquired.

I've been trying to wean myself off of my magic sleeping potions and get rid of some of my meds. About 4 am this morning I broke down and took a pill as it seemed I would not sleep for awhile. Woke up at 'the crack of noon'. I had planned on quitting Xanax but all my friends and both of my youngest daughters told me not to, said I was irritable enough when I took them, don't quit. Smart-ass kids.

Good luck getting the van ready, Take Care....Rob

I use silicone spray for keeping the sliding windows working. Clean out as much dirt/dust/crap as possible first and re apply every so often if they start to stick again.

rvpopeye said:
I use silicone spray for keeping the sliding windows working. Clean out as much dirt/dust/crap as possible first and re apply every so often if they start to stick again.
Thanks for the tip.

Is this spray not WD 40? I don't want to "gunk" up anything.  I hope the WD 40 is OK for the sliders on the top and bottom of the side door and all mechanical locks and hinges?

Jewellann

nope, WD is a water displacer, not a lube, get a can of silicone spray lube, you'll be glad you did

WD40 will work for a little while but will then evaporate......
I think I remember seeing a can of silicone spray lube with the WD label though.
Wally World.

:) I like to barter. When I get exactly what I need and  $$$ too I REALLY LIKE TO BARTER   :D   So the Ranger is going to the automotive shop who has done all the work on it for 3yrs.

And the the Safari van gets.........new adjustable rear helper springs installed........passenger window fixed {I HATE ELEC.WINDOWS!!}.....short in headlight wiring/turn signal repaired.........seats removed and holes plugged........12v plugs cleaned and tested.......Safiri wired with 7 post plug to tow Aliner and it will charge house battery while towing. Also the AC will be fixed and charged unless it needs a compresser and then I'll have to spend some $$$. I had paid for the class lll hitch already so the installation labor is included in the trade. The Ranger has 220k, some rust and needs 2 tires +headgasket + front crankshaft seal.
I was asking $1,000 for the Ranger and traded it for the repairs and $300. So I'm happy with the barter and I didn't have to deal with strangers.

Now if Queenie will just do her share in unloading all the crap in the cab of the Ranger.  I really don't know everything that's back there.  There was that missing fiancy that time....I don't know where that ol' boy went and Queenie don't say.......well you know.........when I ask her about him.....she couldn't have ate him could she?

Jewellann

I'm afraid that was my first thought too !
Queenie should be helpful clearing out under the seats and maybe the glove box (if you hide some treats under everything).

Wow , good piece of horse trading there , glad it's working out for ya !

See if they will add an extra heavy guage wire for that trailer recharge circuit , it will make a huge difference !!
(and the ground wire too.)

I dislike the whole buy sell thing. Bartering is usually so much better with out numbers to deal with. Who cares what it is worth as long as both parties get what is needed.

It took me part of 3 days to empty the Ranger. I rigged a small tarp over the space between it and the  side door of the Safari then tied 2 of the front doors open together.

I keep thinking there is a lot of space in the van when all but the front seats are removed.  Then I put a twin mattress and box spring in it to take to a neighbor.  I saw right away that a twin size bed will take up way too much space.  So my plan is the twin mattress I've placed in the Aliner will stay there and 2 of the foam "mattress's" that make up the couch/bed in the Aliner will go on a bed platform in the van with storage underneath. 

I bought a can of P B Blaster so I hope this is what I need to help with the doors.  If it quits raining I'll give a couple of them a squirt or 2 and see what happens.

Today I hope to take it EZ.  I left home at 10:30am on Thurs. and rolled back in at midnite.  The day was busy, haircut, 20mls to pick up a friend then late lunch, 20mls to next town then we hit the bread store, bookstore, Piggy Wiggy, Grocery Depot, Burger King for ice cream. 

Last but not least HOME DEPOT where I bought myself a Ryobi 18v drill starter kit for $69 that included the lithium battery and charger.  I saw the battery by it's self was $54, Also got a drill bit set for $10.49, pkg. said 44% savings.

It started raining hard so 20mls in the rain,  made a big circle in friends yard and unloaded at the back door by me crawling up on the rear bed and dragging stuff to side door and then my turn to hold big ass umbrella while my buddy took his stuff inside.  20mls later after driving 20 to 30mph in twisty backroads and a on a 65mph store boughten hiway in pouring rain........IT QUIT RAINING......so a trip to Walmart and home by 12am.

Someone please tell me it's easier living in/out of a van and/or a small trailer.  I do think it will be easier simply because there will be less STUFF/BELONGING'S to deal with on a daily basis.  

I think I need a " Whatifdectomy" like a "tonsillectomy"  maybe that would slow down the rate of my growing pile of 'What if I need this" items.  

It's hard for me to let go of things because I do firmly believe that " It's better to have and not need it than need it and not have it.  Also I was raised to stock up in times of plenty to prepare for the lean times.

Jewellann

:-/ Queenie is a big help in the Safari.  Today she switched on the fan using the control panel next to the second row captains seat.  She forgot to tell me so when we got to town and stopped at a red light I couldn't figure out what the noise was.  I had the front window down so I couldn't hear it until we stopped.  I finally had to move things from the center floor back to the rear seat/bed so I could get to the control panel and shut it off.  It seems like every day I'm trying to organize/straighten up things in the van or throwing stuff healter skelter to get to something in a hurry or make room to haul something.

Now that I have a van that I can sleep in and maybe live in too I'm thinking that with the Aliner and the Safari I could have a very nice set up.

Right now I'm pulled in so many different directions with so much needing my time and energy I wonder if I'm accomplishing anythig at all.  I hope to rid myself of all my extra "stuff"....I swear it multiplys like rabbits!!!!

I would like to get down to having the Safari and Aliner both road ready and do some short trips here in AL, FL, and GA.  Then close the apt. keeping what I need to a minimum to furnish a small place in storage for appx 6mo. Then maybe a full timer   :D WooHoo!

Today I saw in another thread about a Govt. hiring freeze.  A few weeks back I spoke to Rangers at 2 different Corps of Engineer's Lakes/Campgrounds plus a host couple from Ky who close their home each winter and spend the winter and spring here in the south camp hosting.  It seems they always need volunteers and singles are fine. There was a lady in her 70s with a cane learning to clean and catalog artifacts from a dig in FL.......it's my understanding that some volunteers at the Army Corps sites have there own RV village depending on the size and # of people using the park/campground, I think.   I was also told that many of the parks/campgrounds includes a free site & hookups where they are available for volunteers.  There are also remote parks with minimum hookups/facilities.  Even without pay I think about how many $$$$$$ I could save with no rent and storage units to pay for.

Sounds Good To Me :D :D

Jewellann and a snoring Queenie

:mad: I'm afraid I'm beginning to look like that more and more as each day passes.  No matter how bad I feel I always try to get something accomplished every day.  Then knowing I've worked/stayed busy I look around and seem to focus on what I haven't done instead of what I have.  I still have 3 storage units not counting the covered storage for the Aliner and a big 1bdrm apt plum full of stuff.

On the bright side of things I can see where I've made some progress, some days I feel like I need a magnifying glass to find it.

This week the helper springs were installed on the Safari. Lon { mechanic } said he only raised it 1in and will re-adjust once the Aliner is hooked up to it.  Parts house sent the elec. part needed for the wrong window. Then sent the right part to the wrong town. So Thursday is the 3rd day and hopefully the window, AC, and short in the lighting system will get fixed.  Then the wireing to tow Aliner and the MinnKota AC elec. port and we will be so ready to roll :) I hope!

Thanks To Everyone for your help and guidance on the Safari and also on my attempt and hope to become at least semi-Nomadic if not fully so at some future date.  The more time I spend in, and working on the Safari and  the Aliner the more hopeful I become.

Jewellann