Txjbird & Queenie on a Safari in a Safari

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On Sunday Q & I went to the storage unit to rummage around and organize things a little better.  I got the bright idea to fold up the rear seat in the Safari as it had been in the bed position for over 7yrs.  Doing it turned out to be one of those things that sound easy if you say it fast.  After I finally found the instructions in the "conversion" manual and not the GMC manual I gave it a shot...before it was over with if I'd had a shotgun I would have just shot it :mad:  "ALL you have to do is push against the front of the seat and it will slide back while at the same time time the back will become upright".  Yup it'll do that.  You just push against the front of the seat...then you lift while you push.........then you get Queenies big bed pillow and put in under your knees while you lift and push.
        A word of warning
It's very important that you keep up a steady stream of minor cuss words,  no talkin' 'bout anybody's Mama or sex acts.....Kick Yor Butt is NOT CONSIDERED A SEX ACT... ..this lets that ol' seat know you mean bizness.  Then you open the back doors lifting and pushing and cussing......you musta loosened it up becuz VI-O-LA and TA-DA....It's a seat again.  QUEENIE IS SO EXCITED SHE COMES OUT FROM UNDER THE VAN   :D

I had intended to raise the Aliner and work on it however I had enjoyed about all I could stand for one day and it started raining so Q and I brought our damp selves home.

Not The End
Jewellann

Had to do a little catching up, TJB!! I sure hope you're getting some rest from that seat incident! LOL

TJB ,You sure can find the humor in every one of the situations this adventure is presenting you with...and it's a hellova lot of fun reading your posts !
Hope you're both dry by now...

Hopefully Queenie approves of this post.... ;)

I didn't want to sidetrack Crazy G's thread so posting here.

If you want to see Bama in your rearview just look in the mirror now ! It's right there!
(I know , you DON'T want to see it out the windshield at the same time.. :p ....)
I get the same thing about snow every winter.
The thermometer right now shows 112.5 outdoors , I sure hope the sensor is in the SUN !!!!

Optimistic Paranoid said:
There are certain clubs, full of whips and chains, where it IS.

Or so I've heard . . .

I'm don't judge so  different strokes etc.  
           My philosophy is more like Adam Sandler's character in Waterboy
Sometimes you got to open up a can of whup ass to get things done.  ;)
TJB

rvpopeye said:
TJB ,You sure can find the humor in every one of the situations this adventure is presenting you with...and it's a hellova lot of fun reading your posts !

PawPaw my Sis's Dad had 2 saying's he used constantly
Close enough for government work & 100 years from now it won't make a difference.
 I find these can often be applied to just daily living experiences.  Especially when something is already adequate for the task at hand and I just keep fooling and fussing with it.

There's a old saying "I got to laugh to keep from crying".   Anyways I can "multi task"  cuss...cry..laugh.  I'm so good at it I can do all 3 at one time :D

TJB

rvpopeye said:
The thermometer right now shows 112.5 outdoors , I sure hope the sensor is in the SUN !!!!

I just have to ask.....What neck of the woods are you in anyway? A general area is fine.  There are some people I know that I don't want knowing where I'm going.  I might not even tell Q.  I just say "road trip" or a sentence with "go" in it and she's ready anyway.

TJB

AbuelaLoca said:
Had to do a little catching up, TJB!! I sure hope you're getting some rest from that seat incident! LOL

See what happens when you wander off into the woods?  Hey if no one was at home while you were away you shouldn't have any dishes to wash.  Washing dishes makes my hair do like this :huh:

Seat wrasslin' could become a "new" sport, right up there with "cup stacking"or"cow flop flingin" Now that I find funny   :)

TJB

I overslept on Tuesday.  Lon was in and out of the shop so often it took 5 calls before we could connect.  Now Thurs. is shop day for Safari.  I think that van seat may have won a round or 2 because my back has really hurt since Sun.

I finally got out of the house sometime after 7:30pm on Tues.  Had tacos and guacamole at La Bamba,  The Safari was dead when I tried to start it around 9pm.  I just put my head on the steering wheel and wondered ....Now What.  A guy on a big scooter checked it out.  The battery had tipped forward and was against the metal of the van.  The battery shelf is real rusted and I  don't know where the thing that holds down the battery went.  The restaurant had turned most of the outside lights off and neither of us had a flash light. At least I had the right size bungee strap to secure it.

I gave Lon a call just now.  He sez that the way to replace the tray is to cut it out and weld a new one in.  That most folks around here just cut a piece of plywood and sit in there and it should last around 4 to 5yrs. 
That sounds a little iffy to me.  I guess it depends on the tray and holder? 

I can't count the number of vehicles I've driven in my lifetime.......11  by the time I turned 22. This is the 1st time I've dealt with a rusty battery tray. 

Jewellann

I think the Safari is haunted. Either that or if the battery hold down is missing some of the acid could have helped rust out the tray over time. I am going with the haunted thing. :dodgy:

I see that all the time.  A piece of plywood is $100 less than welding in a new one.  :cool:

JID      Safari = IT HAS HAINT'S     I can't do links... However....google you tube
 Packrats Smokehouse Blues " Haints In My House" also "High Sheriff From Hell" & " Jelly Roller" 
       Queenie should know the words by now :)
TJB

GotSmart  I'm glad you said that......I hadn't seen/heard of it before....I  do trust Lon, A 2nd opinion is nice to have.  

TJB       Today hopefully my 15in wheel is in so I can get a new full size spare mounted.
                 Now I need to figure out where to mount it....lay it....stand it up.

Suggestions Anyone?
Jewellann

I just called about the wheel and the jerk said "Oh yes we got if for you on Monday" I asked why they didn't call as they said they would.. "It's ready now".....Is it clean...... "silence"   I have carpet in my van....."It's as clean as a used wheel can be"....Doesn't tell me much..could have been sitting in a Mud hole.
          Now where is my new shirt that sez "I Should Come With a Warning Sign" I really do have one :)
              ROAD TRIP QUEENIE!  :D WE'LL DOUBLE TEAM 'EM.......THEY WON'T KNOW WHAT HIT 'EM
                                           GOTTA WATCH FOR THEM JUNK YARD DOGS

jEWELLANN

I say find the shirt and go get 'er done.

I want one that says "All my best friends are
PIRATES !"

Txjaybird said:
                        Suggestions Anyone?
Jewellann

I know you aint right, but an opening big enough for HDR to park in!   WOW!!!

IMO, (Just IMO) you should (or not) start giving out cookies from this company when someone really deserves one.

Attachments

• bite me 2.jpg
    bite me 2.jpg
    101 KB
oN wED. MANAGED TO PICK UP A USED WHEEL FOR THE sAFARI AND GET A NEW TIRE ON IT. { Caps Lock key  is a PITA} One of the guys at the tire store showed me how to drop the little spare from under the van.  Damn that thing was dirty and even had rocks in the center of the wheel.  The new full size spare is in a new tarp standing between the  back seat and back doors.  The old one is in a black new trash bag laying in the van floor.

I had wanted to put a bed platform behind the drivers seat however that is where the rear AC system is so I need some kind of bed that will slide back from in front of the side door when I need to use that door to load and unload stuff from the van.  I'll  worry more about the "build" when the thing is fixed and ready to tow.

I need to be at the shop at 8am so if I'm lucky I'll get 3 to 4hrs sleep.  I intend to sleep tomorrow until I can't sleep no more.

Jewellann

:) Safari was ready at 4pm.  Lon called me and said "Guess What"  I was afeared to ask "What" ALL THE LIGHTS WORK!  Whoopee!!!!!

I call him next Tues. to see what day to bring it in.  Hopefully after the next trip to the shop I will pull away from the shop with the Safari and Aliner wired to roam the roads. :D

Too bad I still have so much to do to really enjoy being out and about.  Another apt. inspection is looming in July.  I intend to be ready for that before we try out our road running capabilities.   It would just be so EZ to keep on going....tempting too.

Besides the TOO MUCH CRAP issue I also have some serious family stuff that I just can't walk away from.

Hope everyone has a good week end

Jewellann and Queenie

P.S.  I did not get a copy of the wiring schematic and web site.  They were very busy however Lon said I'd have it next trip in.

Woot!! So glad there's progress on the Safari!

Latest posts