Two weeks in the ambo!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow 20 years, double double thanks. and thanks to all you other vets out there, I now there are a few of you on here. highdesertranger

I did seven years of active time, the rest has been guard time, although I did deploy to Iraq with the guard.

Baloo said:
I still have a regular job and a home to deal with, this was my test run. So far so good, I almost hate to go back to the rat race. Need to work for a few more solar panels and a manual gear box for the ambo.
Working toward specific goals is great. Makes it feel worthwhile.

Baloo - you can switch that to a manual gear box? That's very very interesting. Assume that there will be installation of the clutch control pedal mechanism, which changes your floor. Is that an expensive option to work out, and complete? Am always concerned about custom work with no easy support by other mechanics later.

Well one of the joys of a commercial truck is options. This truck was available with a manual gear box, older school buses use the tranny and clutch mechanism I need. Just using off the shelf parts for this type of truck. Unlike a normal light duty truck, any medium duty truck tranny for a #2 ASE bell housing will fit my truck. Just have to play musical driveshafts again!

Oh yeah, it is another day! Good morning guys and gals! Not even sure how many days it has been in the ambo right now (coffee still steeping). It has been great, I have moved stuff around and changed how I manage some daily taks. So far my process improvement is going well...

Will you retire at twenty, or go the long haul? I wish I had gotten into the van thing back in my Navy days. I did a LOT of cross country travelling! The backseat of a Firebird is NOT conducive to a good night's sleep!

Baloo - will need to consider your truck as an option. Diesel-manual transmission- part time biofuel-dually differential. All good technology for a long run of many years.

LeeRevell said:
Will you retire at twenty, or go the long haul? I wish I had gotten into the van thing back in my Navy days. I did a LOT of cross country travelling! The backseat of a Firebird is NOT conducive to a good night's sleep!

I am undecided right now, the benefits are great, and the health caw is cheap. Plus the ability to camp at military campgrounds is a huge plus. It is a young mans game these days and I am feeling older every day.

I am unhappy with the Allison 545 auto gear box. It is never in the right gear and I plain just don't like it! Most of all, I don't trust it. I don't want to be left stranded because of a tranny I can't tear apart and fix on the side of the road. So either a spicer 7 speed or a eaton 8 will do the job.

More coffee please!
1c2292cab2d54e59965243ef4c0c63df.jpg

Hey Balloo, why not go all in and get a 13 speed Road Ranger, or really show off your skills and put in a 5 and 5 ? Of course that would require air, I think. Not sure if you have air on board or if the brakes and such are hydraulic? A 7 or 8 speed is probably all you need for the weight - shoot, I skip half the gears in my 6 speed downshifting already. but it would sure be cool to have a really big boy tranny!

masterplumber said:
Hey Balloo, why not go all in and get a 13 speed Road Ranger, or really show off your skills and put in a 5 and 5 ? Of course that would require air, I think. Not sure if you have air on board or if the brakes and such are hydraulic? A 7 or 8 speed is probably all you need for the weight - shoot, I skip half the gears in my 6 speed downshifting already. but it would sure be cool to have a really big boy tranny!

If my truck was an air brake truck I would defiantly go big on the tranny, but it is electric assisted hydraulic. I think the spicer 6+1 is the best choice for me, although I hear it is a tricky gear box to shift. We will see what comes my way in the upcoming months.
I think the sky has finally run out of rain, although it is now pretty chilly (wearing sweatshirt). I really am looking forward to coffee in the morning! Type to you all in the am.

61ed8f57f15e9daa60e98bf510b81310.jpg

flying kurbmaster said:
you might need some windows in the van.

Good morning! I completely agree, but rather than cut new holes, I would like to find windows that could replace the ones in the doors with. Ones that open! I guess the manufacturer thought ambulance crews didn't like fresh air...

Ok, have you been holding out on us Baloo. Is that a Pit Boss tire chock hiding in your floor? So, where's the bike to go with it? Now I'm digging your rig even more than I already did! All that capacity and you can haul a bike too.
It's so funny, we all want to hit the road and simplify our lives - get rid of the junk. Then we see someone else's solution and we start thinking we need that instead of, or worse, in addition to our own solution. I still think you have one of the coolest rigs here though.

masterplumber said:
Ok, have you been holding out on us Baloo. Is that a Pit Boss tire chock hiding in your floor? So, where's the bike to go with it? Now I'm digging your rig even more than I already did! All that capacity and you can haul a bike too.
It's so funny, we all want to hit the road and simplify our lives - get rid of the junk. Then we see someone else's solution and we start thinking we need that instead of, or worse, in addition to our own solution. I still think you have one of the coolest rigs here though.

Thanks mate, the tire chock is stored in one of the outside lockers, I have a 2001 Yamaha 426 dirt bike. I used to keep a Kawasaki klr650 in there. It will hold a sorts bike or a cruiser so long as it doesn't have a tall windshield. I started with the ambo ten years ago, it was a maintenance truck, a bike hauler, work truck, camper puller, you name it. I have had 43 sheets of drywall in it, a washer and dryer, a four wheeler, several engines and transmissions. You name it, it has been used for it. It has been a great rig and I wanted to give it a new lease on life.

aa75e629faf3b1c98cfce797b2a851a1.jpg

Well today was challenging, one of my brake calipers didn't want to let go. It was not that old, so they replaced it under warranty. Back in business again!

acd5243718702f46ebadd0de568e53ea.jpg

609759fe048c290bb0a9e608dcd7ba35.jpg

hey I got a question for you as you are such a great mechanic, and we are on the topic of brake calipers, On my one ton GMC Kubmaster right front caliper makes a lot more noise then it should when going over bumps or rough roads, rattles, they are fairly new, I have changed the springs to heavier then the what came in the package and bent them a little more in order to try and quiet it down, but with very little if any success any suggestions , cheers by the way I am enjoying your posts.

You said you replaced em? Could they be a badly refurbished set? Wrong part number? Mine fit very snug. Let me make sure we are on the same page, your saying the caliper moves too much? Is the caliper support bracket worn? Do you have pics?

Latest posts