Truck Camper Pop Ups

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oswegatchie

Reaction score
We sold our Lance double slide truck camper last week and have decided to go much lighter with a pop up type. I have tried going through the threads and doing searches, but there does not seem to be much info about them on here. Especially anything recently. There must be a few of you out there who either have them now or have had them in the past. Just wondering about the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly concerning them. Seems there are only a few manufacturers (and some specialty ones who are extremely high end). Any specific brands or models stand out as great or real poor? Our hopes are for a full wet bath of some sort, north/south bed arrangement, and not a huge overhang since we are going to tow a horse trailer with our stuff in it. We have an 8ft bed. Any ideas or comments are appreciated.

I have a Four Wheel Campers Grandby that I part time in.  You didn't give a lot of information on how you use a camper, so forgive me if I make some assumptions that are not true for your use.

Expedition Portal:   http://forum.expeditionportal.com  has a very active pop-up camper section with a wide variety of camper types and uses.

Wander the West:  http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/  also has a pop-up camper section that has a very active Four Wheel Campers and All Terrain Campers membership.

ATC is the smaller company that will do custom work if you want something unique.

As to what I have:  The FWC campers are built tough; I don't baby mine.  It was made in 1978 and is still in usable shape.  Exterior is still the original, except for the door which I rebuilt last year.  Soft side 'canvas' is original.  Roof looks like someone went after it with a ball-pein hammer but the camper does not leak.  When I had the welded aluminum frame exposed three years ago it was still solid; all welds intact.  Loaded with two weeks boondocking supplies for me and a beagle it weighs in at < 1300 lbs.  Keeps me well under GVWR for a 3/4 ton truck.

They are on the spartan side for amenities; haven't seen one with a wet bath.  It will keep you dry and warm in reasonable weather.  It is a place to sleep, cook, and store your stuff.  For two people you have to learn 'the dance' to maneuver around inside.  Coming from tent camping it is a 5 star accommodation to me.  I built my own interior.

The good:  low profile means less wind drag, I loose about 1.5 to 2.0 MPG with the camper on.  Less weight and lower center of gravity.  Lower profile means less effect when driving with side winds.  Getting things off the roof is easier.

The bad:  You have to lift the top and make the bed before sleeping.  It is a pain to take down in high winds.  It will not hold temperature (heated or cooled) as well as a hard sided camper.  It will not insulate from outside noise as well as a hard side camper, almost the same noise level as a tent. The low profile limits the mattress options.  There is less storage than a hard side camper.  You have to be more concerned with the weight of anything put on the roof, it has to be taken off or lifted.

As to the ugly: you are going to get very wet packing up in a driving rain.

If you leave your camper on full time you might want to consider a flat bed model: more usable space.

All I can think of for now.

-- Spiff

I had a Caribou Outfitter that I used for a season and a half.  I love the concept but I didn't like it in real world use.  Their biggest disadvantage in my opinion is when you have to take down camp in the rain, the canvas is wet and it then get's your bed, dinette and everything else inside wet.  So I'd have to be extra careful packing up everything when that was the case. I would spread a tarp out over the bed and I used four large contractor trash bags and slipped one dinette cushion in each.  Mine was a pain to lower by myself,  I had to lower it a few inches at a time (then prop a piece of wood in between the top and floor so it wouldn't come down further.  Walk around the outside pushing in the canvas with a broom stick, go inside lower a few more inches, prop the top from falling further with another piece of wood, go out push canvas in so it didn't get caught between hard roof and hard sides, and repeat til it was all the way down.  In nice weather no big deal, in wind or rain, PIA.  

The next disadvantage was storage, can't really use upper cabinets because there is no where for them to go when the top comes down, they'll hit the counter or table or bed so there isn't any.  You are very limited on your mattress choices, mine could only use a mattress up to 4" thick and you have to store your pillows and blankets when taking it down, especially if it's raining, but even just to keep them clean from the sides which seem to collect dirt.  

The advantages are I had it on a half ton and didn't even know it was there.  It allows you to have a nice living space and 4wd.  It's lower profile and lighter weight lets you take further advantage of your 4wd.  

Id never want to full time in one, but for general traveling and getting off the beaten path, they def have their strengths.  I got a steal of a deal on mine, $1800 for a 2006 in 2014.  The cabinets needed refinishing (They were all water stained from people putting it down wet, I'm assuming) and a new mattress and dinette cushions (again had moldy musty smell with lots of water staining).  I also put a new vinyl floor in so it looked brand new when I was done with it.  I sold it for almost three times what I paid.  

Here's a pic of mine on my 2013 Silverado 1/2 ton

Attachments

• 2006 Caribou Outfitter.jpg
    2006 Caribou Outfitter.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 10
I had an FWC Granby for many years. It was my favorite travel and boon docking rig ever. I'd say Spaceman is right on for the pros and cons so I won't rehash them. Be aware that if you have a newer truck with the tapered beds - pretty much anything past the mid 90s and some brands earlier, the older FWCs wont fit. They are made to hug the bed over the wheel wells and the older trucks were 64'' wide at the tailgate, while the new ones run about 60'' wide. If you can find a Keystone model they did have a small bathroom, with either a cassette toilet or a porta potty. But no wet bath. I've seen people rig up a faucet with a spray hose at the sink, along with some hooks on the ceiling for a shower curtain. Then you just stand in a wash tub in the middle of the floor. Many have an outside shower also. Full time for two people would be crowded, but many people do for long stretches, especially traveling south of the border. With the trailer for storage that would definitely help. Rigging up some moving blankets with industrial velcro to cover the canvas sides helps tremendously in the cold.

We have just purchased a used (25 yrs old) Palomino slide-in pop-up truck camper that is for an 8 ft bed.
We have owned a few early in life, but this is our first.
Our pros to this camper is that is is light and easy to load and unload. It is going to be ready to use, if we decide to stay overnight after a day of fishing, or hiking, we don't have to drive home or to a motel.
The cons side of this type of camper is as stated in a earlier comment, you have to put it down in the rain, if you MUST leave. We figured that if it is raining when we decide to pack it up, we will just stay until the sun shines again and dries out all of the canvas. lol
The up-side of being retired.

I bought a 1993 six-pac for 300 bucks hard side not really huge 1325 lbs dry hardly used and can close the tailgate those big Lance slide ins give me the jitters.

Spaceman Spiff said:
I have a Four Wheel Campers Grandby that I part time in.  You didn't give a lot of information on how you use a camper, so forgive me if I make some assumptions that are not true for your use.

Expedition Portal:   http://forum.expeditionportal.com  has a very active pop-up camper section with a wide variety of camper types and uses.

Wander the West:  http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/  also has a pop-up camper section that has a very active Four Wheel Campers and All Terrain Campers membership.

ATC is the smaller company that will do custom work if you want something unique.

As to what I have:  The FWC campers are built tough; I don't baby mine.  It was made in 1978 and is still in usable shape.  Exterior is still the original, except for the door which I rebuilt last year.  Soft side 'canvas' is original.  Roof looks like someone went after it with a ball-pein hammer but the camper does not leak.  When I had the welded aluminum frame exposed three years ago it was still solid; all welds intact.  Loaded with two weeks boondocking supplies for me and a beagle it weighs in at < 1300 lbs.  Keeps me well under GVWR for a 3/4 ton truck.

They are on the spartan side for amenities; haven't seen one with a wet bath.  It will keep you dry and warm in reasonable weather.  It is a place to sleep, cook, and store your stuff.  For two people you have to learn 'the dance' to maneuver around inside.  Coming from tent camping it is a 5 star accommodation to me.  I built my own interior.

The good:  low profile means less wind drag, I loose about 1.5 to 2.0 MPG with the camper on.  Less weight and lower center of gravity.  Lower profile means less effect when driving with side winds.  Getting things off the roof is easier.

The bad:  You have to lift the top and make the bed before sleeping.  It is a pain to take down in high winds.  It will not hold temperature (heated or cooled) as well as a hard sided camper.  It will not insulate from outside noise as well as a hard side camper, almost the same noise level as a tent. The low profile limits the mattress options.  There is less storage than a hard side camper.  You have to be more concerned with the weight of anything put on the roof, it has to be taken off or lifted.

As to the ugly: you are going to get very wet packing up in a driving rain.

If you leave your camper on full time you might want to consider a flat bed model: more usable space.

All I can think of for now.

-- Spiff

We plan to full-time. Tow a horse trailer with all of our stuff. Drop trailer and go farther into back country when we desire to. Some units have a push button to raise the top. Newer ones also have more bathroom options. We don't eat microwave, AC, or possible a furnace. We have an Olympic Wave that should be enough. Looking at a "Clam" tent for extra living space outside. Alaskans have a hard top. I think all others have the soft top. We would like to put 2 lightweight canoes (13lbs. each) on roof, if feasible.

wagoneer said:
I bought a 1993 six-pac for 300 bucks hard side not really huge 1325 lbs dry hardly used and can close the tailgate those big Lance slide ins give me the jitters.

Yes, the Lance 1172 2 silde model we had did not seem it would go far into the backcountry safely.

Here are my reason I don't recommend them:

1. They are not designed or built for full-time use. They work great for a 2-4 weeks use in a year but a full-timer will put 6-12 years use on one in every year he is in it. I don't think they will hold up to that for long.
  2. Security against 2 and 4 legged predators. Anyone or anything can go right through them. In fact they are outlawed in Yellowstone NP and the National Forests around them--bears just go right through them.
  3. Cold in the winter. With no walls or insulation in much of their structure, they are cold and even if you have a heater, the heat just pours out through the walls. I'm a snowbird but even so, I still am forced to be in the cold periodically and I want an insulated rig.
  4. Wind is a misery in them. Not only are they cold and drafty, the noise means you will get very little sleep. In the desert, wind is a regular part of life and you can't avoid it. 
  5. Unlike a part-time pop-top, which is put away most of its life, the fabric in a full-timer rig is constantly exposed to rain, condensation, wind and UV from the sun. I'd expect to have regular problems with it. 
  6. You lose all the storage space above the bottom of the trailer. Living in a tiny space, that's a big loss.

^while some of those apply. i think they meant a slide in truck camper with popup section not a full popup trailer

Since you had a double slide truck camper I'll assume you have a 1 ton truck. An Alaskan Camper would probably be the best bet for full timing in for a pop up truck camper. Hard sided, well insulated, well made, plenty of storage, comes in cab over or non cab over configuration. Down side is they are heavy. I wouldn't put one on anything but a 1 ton chassis. Oh yeah and expensive but they do hold their value. I had one for 2 years before switching to a van. I sold the Alaskan for what I payed for it.

When I was in CA I stopped at one of the soft side pop up makers to have a look. The salesman asked what I had currently. When I told him an Alaskan he said why would you want one of these? He even came out to see the Alaskan and he obviously wanted one.

The soft sides definitely have their place. They are more compact and very light so getting into the back country is easier and I am sure there are those that fulltime in them and are happy. I grew tired of the constant setup and breakdown each time I moved camp, but I moved often. My solution was to sell the truck and camper and replace it with a 4wd van. Always set up, just as capable off road and with the hitop on the van I am still the same height as the truck and collapsed camper so I didn't sacrifice overhead clearance.

You want a pop up truck camper while on the move and a hard sided truck camper when your parked up. It's all a compromise.

There were a **lot** of them in SE Utah last week, well over 50% of the rigs. This is country with a lot of high clearance dirt roads, and people that love them. Daytime temps in the 70's.

akrvbob said:

1. They are not designed or built for full-time use. They work great for a 2-4 weeks use in a year but a full-timer will put 6-12 years use on one in every year he is in it. I don't think they will hold up to that for long.
  2. Security against 2 and 4 legged predators. Anyone or anything can go right through them. In fact they are outlawed in Yellowstone NP and the National Forests around them--bears just go right through them.
  3. Cold in the winter. With no walls or insulation in much of their structure, they are cold and even if you have a heater, the heat just pours out through the walls. I'm a snowbird but even so, I still am forced to be in the cold periodically and I want an insulated rig.
  4. Wind is a misery in them. Not only are they cold and drafty, the noise means you will get very little sleep. In the desert, wind is a regular part of life and you can't avoid it. 
  5. Unlike a part-time pop-top, which is put away most of its life, the fabric in a full-timer rig is constantly exposed to rain, condensation, wind and UV from the sun. I'd expect to have regular problems with it. 
  6. You lose all the storage space above the bottom of the trailer. Living in a tiny space, that's a big loss.
Thanks for your reply Bob. I think we may be looking at 2 different things here though, and I am sorry for the confusion. We were considering a pop up truck camper like an Alaskan. Outfitter, or ATC. I think you may be talking about true tow-behind pop ups which all of the above do apply to. I realize some portions of the above probably pertain to the pop ups also, but not to the extreme in most cases. Anyone is free to correct me if I am wrong.

Every Road Leads Home said:
 . . . Their biggest disadvantage in my opinion is when you have to take down camp in the rain, the canvas is wet and it then get's your bed, dinette and everything else inside wet.   . . . Mine was a pain to lower by myself, . . . In nice weather no big deal, in wind or rain, PIA . . .   

Not my experience.  The 'canvas' on mine is made out of the same material as whitewater rafts (coated urethane?), water and wind proof.  Taken down wet, no water inside.  It must be put up to dry before mildew gets started (will stain fabric).

Putting up in the wind is an issue.  Unless I head into the wind, any wind over 15 MPH will hold the roof up with the door open.  In the rain someone is going to get wet latching down the top.

Oswegatchie said:
 We would like to put 2 lightweight canoes (13lbs. each) on roof, if feasible.

You didn't specify what you are going to do for electrical power.  Two canoes on top will negate solar panels on the roof.

akrvbob said:

Confusion of terminology.  Where I come from a camper is a shelter you put on the back of a truck; a pop-up camper is lower profile and extends to give stand-up room.  A camper shell is also called a cap; about the same height as cab.  A fold out tent on a trailer is called a tent trailer.

#1.  Because of the terminology confusion Bob didn't think about this:  http://www.cheaprvliving.com/adventure/traveling-living-alaskan-camper/
#3.  The soft side can be insulated, but it is still not as good as a hard sided camper.  Don't know about an Alaskan, but I think it would be about the same as a hard sided camper.
#4.  My soft sides are taut, so no flapping.  Biggest problem is rocking in high winds.
#5.  My camper is 40+ years old with the original soft sides.  Don't know how it was used prior to my obtaining it (2014), but it is still watertight.
#6.  True, less storage than a hard side camper.

-- Spiff

Oswegatchie said:
Thanks for your reply Bob. I think we may be looking at 2 different things here though, and I am sorry for the confusion. We were considering a pop up truck camper like an Alaskan. Outfitter, or ATC. I think you may be talking about true tow-behind pop ups which all of the above do apply to. I realize some portions of the above probably pertain to the pop ups also, but not to the extreme in most cases. Anyone is free to correct me if I am wrong.

I am referring to slide in camper pop-tops. Let me clarrify:

I DO NOT RECOMMEND ANY SOFT-SIDED POP-TOPS FOR FULL-TIME LIVING

However, if you are referring to hard-sided pop-tops then that is a different story altogether. You still lose all the storage space above the walls when lowered and the Alaskan is not particularly light. 

It is however, extremely well made.

vtwinkicker said:
Since you had a double slide truck camper I'll assume you have a 1 ton truck. An Alaskan Camper would probably be the best bet for full timing in for a pop up truck camper. Hard sided, well insulated, well made, plenty of storage, comes in cab over or non cab over configuration. Down side is they are heavy. I wouldn't put one on anything but a 1 ton chassis. Oh yeah and expensive but they do hold their value. I had one for 2 years before switching to a van. I sold the Alaskan for what I payed for it.

When I was in CA I stopped at one of the soft side pop up makers to have a look. The salesman asked what I had currently. When I told him an Alaskan he said why would you want one of these? He even came out to see the Alaskan and he obviously wanted one.

The soft sides definitely have their place. They are more compact and very light so getting into the back country is easier and I am sure there are those that fulltime in them and are happy. I grew tired of the constant setup and breakdown each time I moved camp, but I moved often. My solution was to sell the truck and camper and replace it with a 4wd van. Always set up, just as capable off road and with the hitop on the van I am still the same height as the truck and collapsed camper so I didn't sacrifice overhead clearance.

Thanks for the info on the Alaskan. I seem to find only good things about them too. I am concerned about noise in the other soft ones. Sleep is critical to being active! On a side note, I think we were camped at Wakely Dam on the Cedar River Flow the same weekend you climbed Wakely mountain fire tower (10/16/16). We climbed it too but it was cloudy and threatening rain the day we went up it. We love canoeing up the flow and usually camp on it, but we were trying out our Lance that weekend. We went over the dam, whichI was not quite sure of the weight rating of. We love paddling the Adirondacks.

Oswegatchie said:
Thanks for the info on the Alaskan. I seem to find only good things about them too. I am concerned about noise in the other soft ones. Sleep is critical to being active! On a side note, I think we were camped at Wakely Dam on the Cedar River Flow the same weekend you climbed Wakely mountain fire tower (10/16/16). We climbed it too but it was cloudy and threatening rain the day we went up it. We love canoeing up the flow and usually camp on it, but we were trying out our Lance that weekend. We went over the dam, whichI was not quite sure of the weight rating of. We love paddling the Adirondacks.

I've seen some pretty big rigs cross that dam. If weight limit was a concern I would hope the DEC would have a weight limit sign posted.

Don't remember the dates I was there but it most likely included the 16th. Too bad we didn't get to meet.

vtwinkicker said:
I've seen some pretty big rigs cross that dam. If weight limit was a concern I would hope the DEC would have a weight limit sign posted.

Don't remember the dates I was there but it most likely included the 16th. Too bad we didn't get to meet.

I don't doubt that DEC would put up a sign, but I also know that it possibly could be removed "by mistake" for firewood. On a very cold night, of course :)

Latest posts