Truck Camper Pop Ups

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oswegatchie said:
I don't doubt that DEC would put up a sign, but I also know that it possibly could be removed "by mistake" for firewood. On a very cold night, of course :)

True, I was told the snowmobilers tear apart the outhouses for firewood.

vtwinkicker said:
True, I was told the snowmobilers tear apart the outhouses for firewood.

Ha! I always thought it was porcupines having dinner on them.

akrvbob said:
Here are my reason I don't recommend them:

1. They are not designed or built for full-time use. They work great for a 2-4 weeks use in a year but a full-timer will put 6-12 years use on one in every year he is in it. I don't think they will hold up to that for long.
  2. Security against 2 and 4 legged predators. Anyone or anything can go right through them. In fact they are outlawed in Yellowstone NP and the National Forests around them--bears just go right through them.
  3. Cold in the winter. With no walls or insulation in much of their structure, they are cold and even if you have a heater, the heat just pours out through the walls. I'm a snowbird but even so, I still am forced to be in the cold periodically and I want an insulated rig.
  4. Wind is a misery in them. Not only are they cold and drafty, the noise means you will get very little sleep. In the desert, wind is a regular part of life and you can't avoid it. 
  5. Unlike a part-time pop-top, which is put away most of its life, the fabric in a full-timer rig is constantly exposed to rain, condensation, wind and UV from the sun. I'd expect to have regular problems with it. 
  6. You lose all the storage space above the bottom of the trailer. Living in a tiny space, that's a big loss.

As Bob notes, popup truck campers are just beginning to be used for fulltiming, so they are in the experimental stage. But I believe the higher quality ones, such as the Four Wheel Camper brand, have the best potential for success. I have been living happily in a 2004 FWC model for 6 months, and here are some comments about Bob's specific doubts about popups:

1. Not designed for fulltime use: True, but the same goes for other vehicles such as cars and vans. Time will tell regarding FWC campers, but they are ruggedly built, as shown by their excellent off-road capabilities.

2. Security: With the top down, they are in effect hardsided. I have not heard of breakins by bears or bad guys when the top is raised, but I recognize that the potential exists. And I don't know about National Forest policies, but in Yellowstone popup campers are banned by only one campground, Fishing Bridge, which has grizzly bear problems.

3. Cold weather: I lived fairly comfortably the past winter in my FWC camper while in Arizona. Most FWCs have insulation in the roof and lower sides, in addition to a propane heater which is externally vented and thermostat controlled. The soft fabric sides, made of rugged hypalon (the same material used in inflatable boats) have an optional "thermal pack" liner to provide some insulation. In my FWC camper, I was comfortable using the propane heater a couple of hours a day, so I never bothered to set up the thermal pack liner. When it got really cold, I just dialed up the thermostat.

4. Wind: I sleep well in my FWC camper in windy conditions, as the hypalon sides are rather taut, unlike the cheaper camper brands. An exception was when I was in Big Bend NP, when a storm with estimated 40-50 mile per hour gusts roared through. The noise and motion were indeed alarming, but even in those conditions I eventually fell asleep. But in a similar situation, even highsided vans such as Sprinters would have noise and motion issues.

5. Fabric durability:  I don't believe rain and wind can directly cause the fabric to decay, but condensation is an issue under cold and humid conditions. To prevent mildew when lowering the top in such conditions, it is necessary to raise the roof when the rain stops in order to dry the fabric. But this is not a huge issue, as seen by the popularity of FWC popups in the very wet Pacific Northwest. Ultraviolet damage is probably the biggest longterm threat to the fabric sides of a popup camper. To prevent or at least slow down UV damage, the manufacturer recommends the regular application of "303" brand UV protectant.

To summarize, I have been quite comfortable living in my popup truck camper these past 6 months. Time will tell if they are suitable for longterm fulltime living, but I am reasonably  optimistic about the better brands such as FWC. BTW, if anyone would like to take a close look at various Four Wheel camper models, they can be seen and examined at the upcoming Overland West event to be held in Flagstaff from May 12-14.

You go from one extreme to the other bet you end up in the middle with a hard sided on slide.  It's the only choice imho. 

akrvbob said:
Here are my reason I don't recommend them:

1. They are not designed or built for full-time use. They work great for a 2-4 weeks use in a year but a full-timer will put 6-12 years use on one in every year he is in it. I don't think they will hold up to that for long.
  2. Security against 2 and 4 legged predators. Anyone or anything can go right through them. In fact they are outlawed in Yellowstone NP and the National Forests around them--bears just go right through them.
  3. Cold in the winter. With no walls or insulation in much of their structure, they are cold and even if you have a heater, the heat just pours out through the walls. I'm a snowbird but even so, I still am forced to be in the cold periodically and I want an insulated rig.
  4. Wind is a misery in them. Not only are they cold and drafty, the noise means you will get very little sleep. In the desert, wind is a regular part of life and you can't avoid it. 
  5. Unlike a part-time pop-top, which is put away most of its life, the fabric in a full-timer rig is constantly exposed to rain, condensation, wind and UV from the sun. I'd expect to have regular problems with it. 
  6. You lose all the storage space above the bottom of the trailer. Living in a tiny space, that's a big loss.

#2 is incorrect- i had no issue getting camping permit issued with my FWC Hawk in Yellowstone-

Oswegatchie said:
We sold our Lance double slide truck camper last week and have decided to go much lighter with a pop up type. I have tried going through the threads and doing searches, but there does not seem to be much info about them on here. Especially anything recently. There must be a few of you out there who either have them now or have had them in the past. Just wondering about the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly concerning them. Seems there are only a few manufacturers (and some specialty ones who are extremely high end). Any specific brands or models stand out as great or real poor? Our hopes are for a full wet bath of some sort, north/south bed arrangement, and not a huge overhang since we are going to tow a horse trailer with our stuff in it. We have an 8ft bed. Any ideas or comments are appreciated.

I don't own one "YET" but the one that I am seriously looking at is the 10' Cabover Alaskan Camper ( http://alaskancampers.com/10-cabover/ ) and from what I have seen and talked with them about, it is one of the best of the pop-up types.

I've been thinking about selling my 4x4 van because of its limited off road capabilities and getting a 3/4 ton 4x4 truck and a pop-up. It seems to me after doing some research that:

1. A pop up would be only a "fair-weather" kind of camper. I say this because I useto own a VW Westy when I was young, and having the top up in even moderate rain invited leaks, and it was drafty. There was once where in highwinds up in Norcal the top seemed like itwanted to rip apart and fly away. Not good.
2. More stuff to fix. Again from my Westy all the rods and pins that encompass the pop-up mechanism are hard to maintain, and if something breaks.. Your SOL until you can get replacements.
3. Storage seemed limited to the bottom half of the camper. I see the advantage of this if you want to go off road as the weight will be as low as possible.
4. Replacement canvas is *EXPENSIVE*

I'm leaning towards an older (Late 80's or 90's) Six-Pack or Lance 8ft without a bathroom, and then removing anything I didn't need. Like the oven, 3 way fridge, water tank, hot water heater, room heater, and the such and just do the basics to keep the weight down below 1500lbs loaded.

steamjam1 said:
1. A pop up would be only a "fair-weather" kind of camper. I say this because I useto own a VW Westy when I was young, and having the top up in even moderate rain invited leaks, and it was drafty. There was once where in highwinds up in Norcal the top seemed like itwanted to rip apart and fly away. Not good.

I've slept in my FWC Grandby in 50+ MPH winds with heavy driven rain, no leaks.  Leaks are a design problem, my camper uses the same material white water rafts are made out of; very tuff and watertight.

High winds will rock the camper but that is true for hard sided campers and trailers too (anything with a large, vertical surface on springs will rock in gusty winds).  I sleep down (not over the cab) so the rocking isn't as noticeable.

2. More stuff to fix. Again from my Westy all the rods and pins that encompass the pop-up mechanism are hard to maintain, and if something breaks.. Your SOL until you can get replacements.

True with any collapsable shelter.  This again depends on the design of the lifting mechanism.  I am finally replacing mine after 39 years of use (lift panels have become brittle).  I do have a backup to raise and hold the roof up (that I have tried) 'cuz I like redundancy.  As with any mechanical system the more complicated it is the more chances to break.

3. Storage seemed limited to the bottom half of the camper. I see the advantage of this if you want to go off road as the weight will be as low as possible.

This is true.  There is less storage in a pop-up truck camper than a hard side camper.  A lot of storage space for both is lost in the narrowing to fit between the wheel wells.

4. Replacement canvas is *EXPENSIVE*

True, about $900 to replace mine.  But again, mine is almost 40 years old and still water (and wind) tight.

The big advantage of a pop-up truck camper are low profile, lower weight and lower center of mass.

The big disadvantages are more setup time, you have to get out of the truck to get into the camper (forget crawling through the pass through window unless you are young, thin and limber), putting up and taking down in the wind and rain, and the afore mentioned lack of storage.

My 2¢ (again)

-- Spiff

Oswegatchie, have you checked out www.truckcampermagazine.com ? Some reallly good articles and detailed reviews on many brands there.

If I were to go full-time in a truck camper, I would only get a pop-up if it is hard-sided. I'd be terrified if there was only canvas between me and the world! Alaskans are way cool, and they seem to be of very high quality. But, as Bob mentioned, they're probably not very light at all (unless you forego some of the options, maybe).

I bounced back and forth between this for a while. Then I borrowed a friends rig and in the middle of no where it was ok. Wind was an issue and so were some animal calls, but I slept. In parking lots I could hear the snoring dog next door. The lack of storage and use in the wet north west of bc ended that search. FWC was also recently acquired by a holding company. They are typical weekend light units for familes. But as has been pointed out a Prius is a commuter car. So you pays your money and you take your chances.
Truck camper magazine is an excellent resource and many companies are responding to the industry overweight problem and going lite lite lite.
I love Alaskan but they are so SO heavy, sadly it didn't work out. It wasn't her it was all me...

THE SIX-PAC I HAVE IS A 1993 MODEL 96R I assume the 96 refers the the amount of space, I am in the process of eliminating certain appliances as they are outdated but working the width is about 7 1/2 feet it reaches from cab to closed tailgate, just got a hold of 4 manual crank camper jacks as I do not like the hydraulic type, no basement loads of headroom and no slidesI use the cabover for guests or storage going on 3 years not full time but many trips each year and could see it working full-time for two I remover the "dinette" and use the extended (added a plank) for my single size bed 3" firm nat latex. the bunk over my bed is used for storage bins if any of you are interested I can post pics you can get these old campers on the cheap PS my 3/4 ton with air bags (not really needed) is the perfect truck.

wagoneer said:
THE SIX-PAC I HAVE IS A 1993 MODEL 96R I assume the 96 refers the the amount of space, I am in the process of eliminating certain appliances as they are outdated but working the width is about 7 1/2 feet it reaches from cab to closed tailgate, just got a hold of 4 manual crank camper jacks as I do not like the hydraulic type, no basement loads of headroom and no slidesI use the cabover for guests or storage going on 3 years not full time but many trips each year and could see it working full-time for two I remover the "dinette" and use the extended (added a plank) for my single size bed 3" firm nat latex. the bunk over my bed is used for storage bins if any of you are interested I can post pics you can get these old campers on the cheap PS my 3/4 ton with air bags (not really needed) is the perfect truck.
Six Pak is one of the few older campers that seem to hold up. Even thought they were cheaper back in the day. I think it may be because they ran a band around the outside under the skin, kind of like a packing strap, that basically holds it together like a barrel hoop on a whiskey barrel. It seemed like a gimmick back then, but I think it might actually have some value.