Towing question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M2Travels

Reaction score
I have discovered that I don't like towing a TT at all.  One reason is driving in the wind while another reason is just the hassle factor of getting into situations where you can't turn around. However, I need a bit more space than a van along can provide unless I go with a 170 Sprinter which I don't want to do. So I am in the process of selling my trailer, my current tow vehicle and purchasing a van that will tow a smaller cargo trailer.  My plan is for the cargo trailer to be no longer than 12 ft and hopefully shorter.  So for those who have towed a cargo trailer with a van versus towing a travel trailer, am I being realistic in expecting the hassle factor of towing to decrease substantially.  I have towed a 6x12 uhaul many times for my business and do understand that towing anything is a hassle.  Any input is greatly appreciated.

The shorter cargo trailer, both in height & length, relative to a travel trailer will have less to present to the wind and will certainly weigh less when loaded, and may present more back country camps as well. It may well be light enough to turn both vehicles around separately in a confined area. The van will not have the towing potential of a pick up but will certainly meet the needs you describe, and the truck/trailer hitch zone will probably be less complicated as well. For the cause of simplification and maneuverability you are on to something that will probably increase the fun factor without removing much creature comforts, especially given your towing experience.

slow2day said:
M2T....how big is the TT that you tow now?

27 ft towed with a Tahoe.  My biggest problem is wanted to get into tight campsite spaces in more remote campgrounds primarily in Montana, Idaho and Washington.  Last year I found too many cool places that I just could not go.  I want mobility this year.  When I'm boondocking in BLM, its not a problem.

slow2day said:
^
Will you look for a van with a hightop?

Yes but may end up having to add a top if I don't find a van with a factory hightop that I can afford.  I definitely want the ability to add solar to the roof so roof strength will be a factor.  I am finding the search for a used van with low mileage to be very difficult!

The smaller the towed trailer the easier it is to get in and out of places. Think of parking a small car as opposed to driving a bus...same idea.

Smaller trailers don't usually need the hitch stabilizers so you don't have to arm-wrestle them on. Drop the trailer on the hitch receiver, hook up tow chains, attach the wiring and go....well, okay, remove wheel chocks etc.etc.... :D 

Not all trailers, even of the same size, tow the same way. It all depends on the manufacturer - how long they build the tongue, how stable the trailer is to begin with, the type of axle, size of tires etc.

If it all possible, take a couple of trailers from different manufacturers out for a test drive before you buy.

I've towed 2 radically different sized Wells Cargo trailers in the past 25 years and I won't tow anything but them....I sometimes forget that the small 6 x 10  I own now is even behind me....well fully loaded with the kids furniture I knew it was back there. Empty..not at all.. :) 

It took me six months of diligent searching to find a cargo van with low mileage, new enough and in the right price range so it's not something that unless you're extremely lucky is going to drop in to your lap overnight...have patience and widen your search area.

The high top cargo van will provide enough of a wind stop that the a smallish cargo trailer won't make any difference at all...at least as compared to a 27' travel trailer.

BTW, high tops can be had with full steel roll cage inside...mine does. It has 1/4" x 2" steel  frame welded to the original roof at the sides. Any good fiberglass roof will be able to hold all the solar you can put up there. However, one has to think of how one is going to keep the panels clean. JiminDenver had some interesting test results of clean versus dirty panels - the increased power was immense. Because of my desire to keep the panels clean and my inability to climb to the height of my van I chose portable panels....certainly an option especially because you're towing a cargo trailer for extra storage and room.

But putting them out and packing them up every time's a major PITA!

Add a little ladder for cleaning the panels?

John61CT said:
But putting them out and packing them up every time's a major PITA!

Add a little ladder for cleaning the panels?

Not all of us can climb a ladder for starters!

My van roof is something in the range of almost 10' up in the air. I would need a substantial ladder to climb that high and a long reach to get to the middle of the panels to clean effectively.

I also tend to park under trees at least 6 months of the year so tree sap and it's removal is also a problem.

All things to be considered when choosing a mobile solar set up or a roof top one.

How much of a PITA depends on the individual. How often they move, how heavy they are as compared to the persons' physical ability etc. etc.

I have 2 very lightweight panels that are no problem for me to move around. I use a pair of 5 gallon square buckets to prop the panels up. My power cords are designed to go together easily.

I have no problem using portable. Any shortcomings are far less than the problems I would encounter with a roof mounted system. Every one is is different and so are their solutions .

^
Here's a pic of a setup I saw somewhere that I would consider for the side of a cargo trailer. The panels were set up with hinges at the top that would allow for adjustment of the angle (the adjustable brackets aren't shown). You would have to have some kind of cover to protect them or make them detachable so they could be stored while travelling.

Attachments

• Panel idea.jpg
    Panel idea.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 12
Have you considered a small motorhome?

Drove a semi for 14 years. Towing a trailer "to me" is just second nature. Seems a little odd to me not having a trailer back there even driving my smaller vehicles. But, I do understand why folks would not want to tow a trailer. You do loose some maneuverability and you really need to watch where you go so you can get back out. Good luck finding a camping rig suited to your comfort level.

slow2day said:
^
Here's a pic of a setup I saw somewhere that I would consider for the side of a cargo trailer. The panels were set up with hinges at the top that would allow for adjustment of the angle (the adjustable brackets aren't shown). You would have to have some kind of cover to protect them or make them detachable so they could be stored while travelling.

That is Tom over on RV.net  The first person I saw mounting on the side like that. They swing up or detach for use as portables. I seem to remember he was redoing it but am not sure. I do not spend much time over there anymore.

slow2day said:
^
Thanks for the pic! I'm looking for a shuttle bus now. On the set up pictured..Wonder if there is way to be able to mount them where a person could flip them over where the front is facing towards the vehicle when not in use. But could be flipped without actually taking them off completely. Then a person would not have to worry as much about the wright of them. Just an idea. I've seen hideaway tv screens...car radio screen that flip...could that be applied to solar panel mounting? IDK...Just thinking out loud.

M2TravelsI have discovered that I don't like towing a TT at all.  One reason is driving in the wind while another reason is just the hassle factor of getting into situations where you can't turn around. However, I need a bit more space than a van along can provide unless I go with a 170 Sprinter which I don't want to do. So I am in the process of selling my trailer, my current tow vehicle and purchasing a van that will tow a smaller cargo trailer.  My plan is for the cargo trailer to be no longer than 12 ft and hopefully shorter.  So for those who have towed a cargo trailer with a van versus towing a travel trailer, am I being realistic in expecting the hassle factor of towing to decrease substantially.  I have towed a 6x12 uhaul many times for my business and do understand that towing anything is a hassle.  Any input is greatly appreciated.

Getting back to the original poster's question...

I guess my experience is relevant since I transitioned from a double-axled, 21 foot travel trailer, to a single-axle cargo trailer that was 4.5 feet shorter overall.

What was most noticeable was how sharply single-axle trailer turned. It is also nice to pull into double (end to end) parking spaces in big-box parking lots, and FIT in the allotted spaced.

On the highway, the improvement wasn't so noticeable.

When backing into camping spaces, I didn't bash into trees as easily.

kaBLOOnie Boonster said:
M2TravelsI have discovered that I don't like towing a TT at all.  One reason is driving in the wind while another reason is just the hassle factor of getting into situations where you can't turn around. However, I need a bit more space than a van along can provide unless I go with a 170 Sprinter which I don't want to do. So I am in the process of selling my trailer, my current tow vehicle and purchasing a van that will tow a smaller cargo trailer.  My plan is for the cargo trailer to be no longer than 12 ft and hopefully shorter.  So for those who have towed a cargo trailer with a van versus towing a travel trailer, am I being realistic in expecting the hassle factor of towing to decrease substantially.  I have towed a 6x12 uhaul many times for my business and do understand that towing anything is a hassle.  Any input is greatly appreciated.

Getting back to the original poster's question...

I guess my experience is relevant since I transitioned from a double-axled, 21 foot travel trailer, to a single-axle cargo trailer that was 4.5 feet shorter overall.

What was most noticeable was how sharply single-axle trailer turned. It is also nice to pull into double (end to end) parking spaces in big-box parking lots, and FIT in the allotted spaced.

On the highway, the improvement wasn't so noticeable.

When backing into camping spaces, I didn't bash into trees as easily.
So I assume you were happy with the change?  I know it will be a bigger change since my trailer is abut 28ft and I plan to move to a van with a cargo trailer no longer than 12ft.  What was your reason for the change to a cargo trailer if you don't mind my asking?

I chose a 6X12 cargo trailer. I wanted a 7 foot wide trailer, but the axles are 8 feet wide. That extra width is much harder to maneuver in tight spaces and makes parking quite a bit more difficult. The axles on a 6 foot wide trailer also track in line with my truck better. When I going through deep ruts, it isn't as much of an issue. If I had to do it again, I would go with the fender wells built into the trailer like the 8 foot wide trailers do so I could get a little extra width. I wouldn't need a full 7 feet wide, but 6.5 would be nice. Being narrower is easier to see behind you when driving.

I went with two axles because if I got a flat on the Interstate, I could limp off the road without dragging the bottom of my home to get to safety. I much prefer single axle for tight turns and for ease of backing up. Dual axles rub the tread of the tires much faster. That isn't a factor with highway travel, but it is if you drive around the city a lot. Two axles is also a much bigger initial expense. More to maintain and repair, too.

The 12 foot length is the minimum I could have and have all my stuff, have a shower, and enough real estate for the solar I wanted. With the tongue, it will fit in a standard parking space. A 14 foot trailer would too, but that is pushing it. A 10 footer would easily fit. With my standard wheel base truck and my 6X12 cargo trailer, I can pull straight into two parking spaces, easily fit within those two spaces, and pull out without having to back up. A big plus in my book!

The trailer axles were changed from drop axles to straight axles for more clearance on back roads. I need a stool to comfortably step up into it. I can still step up without a stool, but it is a big step. I regret not getting a fold-out step from the factory.

Going from a wider, 27 foot TT to a narrower, 12 foot cargo trailer will be night and day. Cargo trailers are lighter and not as tall, too, so that will make towing that much easier.

I grew up pulling trailers in the woods, so it isn't a big deal to me. Used to drive truck as well, but I will tell you smaller is so much easier and more fun. 8 foot wide axles are an deal breaker for me- no doubt. Being under 10 feet high is also important. There's a lot of stuff 10 feet and taller out there. Once you get under the 10 foot mark, life gets less hazardous. Most underpasses are at least 10 feet tall, so more maneuverability is had 10 feet and under.

If it wasn't for the lack of real estate for solar on the roof, I could do a 10 foot trailer with a shower if the tow vehicle was a van that I used as part of my storage space. Now that I have a v nose, I won't go back. It's a full 12 foot with an additional 32 inches of v nose.

Now that I know the original poster is downsizing from a 28 foot travel trailer, he will notice a huge improvement in going to a, say, 6' X 12' cargo trailer.

Canine really gives a lot of good information in the reply just above this one. Or maybe I am just saying that because I agree with it!

Canine mentioned the advantage of a straight axle, as opposed to the industry-standard 4" drop axle: higher ground clearance. This is a huge advantage if you do any off-pavement camping.

6' X 12' was the magic size for me (a solo traveler) because I didn't see how to get a shower into anything smaller. And there was no real advantage into going smaller.

Remember that a cargo trailer has 3/8" thick plywood walls everywhere, so it is easy to use space effectively just by drilling a few holes and sinking a couple screws. Therefore, a 6' x 12' provides more functionality that you might think.

All very good info above.

I will add that travel trailers are measured from the front coupler to the rear bumper, and cargo trailers are normally measured from the forward wall where it meets the side walls, to the rear edge.

So...a 6x12 cargo trailer is actually about 15 feet long, give or take, so it's about the same interior length as a 'quote' 15 foot travel trailer.

Still, they are very manageable behind a van, and don't normally require you to have towing mirrors on the van, and also don't normally require brakes.

(yes, trailer brakes for single axle trailers, and towing mirrors, along with transmission tow-haul mode, are a good idea, but not normally REQUIRED by law.)