TMG's Van Thread! (Picture-heavy.)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Putting the solar panels up with Azek PVC board glued to the fiberglass top as cleats. Mount the panels to the cleats. No holes in the top, will never rot, and provides a platform that can be repositioned at any time.

Step 1 clean the roof with alcohol. It was probably last cleaned never.

Rtt3XuY.jpg

Marking out the cleats.

sBRCH5v.jpg

Test fit.

xoTtJqt.jpg

I then glued these down using E6000. I recommend that stuff for adhesion on a wide range of materials. Weighed the cleats down with bricks while gluing overnight. Don't forget to seal around the edges with a latex caulk after the glue cures, to prevent water getting in.

pYArNt5.jpg

How to make your own vent cap for a few bucks!

I couldn't find any suitable vent cap to replace my busted ones, so I made some. Grab a 4" PVC cap and a 4x3 reducer from any hardware store. Get the sewer line type, it's cheaper than schedule 40. About $2 per fitting. Just screw the cap over the small end of the reducer allowing a space between the two parts so air can get out.

JKyQAiO.jpg

Old busted vent cap.

EQ8DMOR.jpg

Easy fix. Just glue in place and seal liberally.

MFGPvLL.jpg

tmg51 that's a great idea for the vent, may I suggest you paint it because uv breaks down pvc. I may use this idea. highdesertranger

I paint everything on my RV roof, (except the solar panels) to protect from UV. Makes that cheap camco crap last waaaaayyyy longer.

highdesertranger said:
tmg51 that's a great idea for the vent,  may I suggest you paint it because uv breaks down pvc.  I may use this idea.   highdesertranger

Yes, that's a good point, and it's of course the reason the former vent caps crumbled. They simply disintegrated when I bumped them cleaning the roof for the panels.

There's also ABS pipe, which is UV resistant, and only slightly more expensive. I probably should have built the vents using that.

If these crumble soon, I'll report back with an ABS model.  :D

Nice work... I like the custom vent cap. I wish my roof was flat for solar like that.

Haven't updated this in a bit. I've been doing little things here and there.

Cast iron! All made to not rattle. Plastic wing-nuts.
4ZYHO0o.jpg

9C8TYZB.jpg

More power outlets.
4katnif.jpg

Rebuilt shower valves using 1/4 turn silcocks and laundry mixing hose... 1000x stronger than the plastic one that was there.
diN534W.jpg

Also added a pee funnel! :D
1zvH5W2.jpg

GPS mounted with velcro instead of a stick-on thing. It's wired to a circuit which turns on with the ignition. So it comes on when I turn the key, and shuts off when I shut it off...
QUYJjJg.jpg

Wire a socket in somewhere behind the dash on such a circuit for the GPS.
F0f4iOm.jpg

Home sweet home. I may not have a mantle, but this is my mantle piece.
YzNDOGE.jpg

very nice tmg51. I love your cast iron, it looks well used and well taken care of. great choice for an axe. I have an estwing also, I got tired of buying a new wooden handle every year. so I bought the estwing about 20 years ago, haven't bought a handle since. highdesertranger

I carry my Cast Iron in my RV oven , like your hanging Dutch Oven !

You can never have too many 12v outlets .

I have an Estwing too , old style handle with the leather rings , dipped it in urethane for weather protection.
Best Part , I found it in the bushes at the first workamping job I had back in '03 !!!
It looked like it had been there a LONG time....Some 100 grit on a belt sander sharpened it , then a wire wheel and the urethane brought it back to life.
Glad I was raking THAT site !

Great find with the Estwing in the bushes, that makes it more valuable really. Nice to see other vandwellers take a liking to these.

By the way... about that "pee funnel," my girlfriend swears it is among my best contraptions. You see I bought it specifically for its shape and size. That long back part and stepped front part means it fits her, so she can use it too. She even gets to pee standing up! So for any traveling with the fairer sex, you may be thanked for considering this adaptation.

Here's a bonus shot of that camp axe at a spot I know on Lake Champlain.

REVuo6l.jpg

Ditto , nice spot and sunset shot . My Estwing is only a hatchet , 12" long but I also carry an Estwing 16oz straight claw hammer that I use with the hatchet as a wedge.

....blending right in...
XfeV0Qg.jpg

....for a nice grill spot....
pDSWJAD.jpg

ETczS1A.jpg

I'll post up some more pictures of van mods too. I've been bad about taking them.

Two questions. ..

Does the pee funnel go to a black tank or just to the ground?

How many mpg?

One Awesome Inch said:
Two questions. ..

Does the pee funnel  go to a black tank or just to the ground?

How many mpg?

Straight to the ground! :cool:

I designed it that way deliberately so that I can avoid using my holding tanks for bathroom purposes. I move daily and park over grass when possible. I always have the option of using my regular toilet / holding systems if that's all that's available. But, I have been known to park precisely over a storm drain in a parking lot too.....

Lifetime average economy to date is exactly 11.05 MPG.

Highest economy over a single fill was 12.11 MPG.

Decided I should start posting some of the additions I've made!

Here's a recent one. Repainted the hood over the weekend. I've decided to start improving the exterior appearance since I believe that affects acceptance when people see a bigass van in their neighborhood.

Before:

bDKuhA8.jpg

iaRTz5d.jpg

Prep:

MuQaQik.jpg

After:

I1sg3KG.jpg

NKkpIcH.jpg

Wow! That looks great. I have a small area I am working on and hope it looks as good. Jan