Thinkin of making the change

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

[size=x-large]My name is Rigo I'm currently living in Oklahoma City. I have a pretty good banking job right now and I'm coming up on my quarter life crisis  :p  I have lived about half my life in Denver as well. I Have always had the goal of being the owner of my own time. I have contemplated how I was going to do that for the good part of the last 3 years or so. So far I always thought the only way to do it is as an entrepreneur. Coming up with a way to make money from businesses or anything else has been eating up at me. I have come up with nada. Coming up on my 25th birthday I've been getting depressed, knowing these last 3 years what I want but nowhere close to achieving it. Thinking back it's funny because I've always joked about how I would rather be a homeless person living out of a van in some beach in Hawaii than working a 9-5 and being stuck in the rat race. Well I always had this idea that I needed to be making a lot of money to buy my freedom. I wanted to have 3 properties, one in Oklahoma, Colorado and Florida. I've had this bugging thought in my head that I could live in a vehicle but it wasn't until now that I'm on this forum that I am starting to see just how plausible this is. The funny thing is I am living the "American dream". I have a good job, I'm engaged and I'm in the middle of buying a home RIGHT NOW. But I'm not happy. The home I'm looking at keeps having these problems coming up with the inspections and acquiring insurance and what not. Coincidence? I don't really believe in coincidence. I'm not sure that I have a nomad inside of me but I dream of seeing beautiful landscapes everyday. Why else would I want to give everything I have away to do this?[/size]

Right now I have a single cab short bed Ram 1/2 ton with the hemi and a honda Vtx 1300. Ive been thinking about how I can make this setup work for the lifestyle I want. I'm thinking the smartest thing would be to trade the truck down to an extended bed with a v6 engine for fuel mileage purposes and possibly downsizing the motorcycle as well to something smaller and easier to move. Thoughts? [size=x-large]I mentioned I lived in Colorado. it is one of my favorite places in the world. I dream of being up there riding my motorcycle through the mountains all the time. Maybe I can trade the truck for a van and pull the bike?[/size]

Welcome Rigo to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Details on the Ram? I might consider trading my already built van for a pickup and cash.

That comment was more of an idea for the future and to plan ahead. I still have a note on the truck although I do have some equity in it where I could sell it and have some cash to buy a different vehicle. It's a 2012 with about 45k miles

Gotcha. Can't exactly trade it in that case, haha. But vans are the best way to get mobile. There's tons of people on the site that will help you hunt one down at your budget. And occasionally you will find a member selling their rig. Mine is just weird because I built it when the missus and I broke up but then by the time I was finishing it up we got back together, haha. So, I have a freshly outfitted van and no need for it :p

Dang lol yeah that's an issue with me too I'm not sure if the fiance is 100% in on my little journey. I was thinking maybe a camper would work great but I don't be know how that would be on a short bed. I could also haul the bike in the bed and pull a travel trailer. Decisions decisions. Lots of pros and Cons. Don't know how stealth i could be in city pulling trailers. Might have to sacrifice the bike.

The possibilities for creating your own business are literally all around you. But...do not think success means having your time be your own...

Three true stories of friends of mine.....

She went to sit on the warm beaches of the south. The only thing she owned was her car and clothes. But, as she sat on a beach crying for a month...she also saw that people had no where to get a bite and a drink. She got a permit from the town...and started selling sandwiches and drinks from the grocery store about 8 miles inland. Found she was selling out by noon. Decided to see if the town would let her bring a portable grass hut onto the beach each day..purchased 3 coolers. Business was great! So much so that she hired a local to man the hut while she went to fill up the coolers a second time. Finally, she got a permit to build an actual structure and get electricity....now she was making her own sandwiches. But, she had to hire more help. Pretty soon all she had time for was to do the accounting and the payroll. Finally sold the whole thing so she could get some time for herself.

Another friend started a furniture second hand store by accident. She was talking with a realtor ina very upscale area. The realtors were selling properties fast...but the new owners were insisting the furniture be removed. To make th closing go smoothly...they were renting storage lockers and stuffing this into them..one after another, after another. Friend go the idea of telling the realtors she would do the removal for them....and..she would take the furniture ..so no more storage locker fees for the realtor. She rented some space, and started taking this to sell. This furniture was going like hot cakes. Really high quality stuff for a lot less than worth. She had to hire people to organize the show room floors...she expanded to fill the whole building, eventually buying the building. Her payroll expanded and expanded! Funny part she told me....she swears the same exact furniture was coming off the truck in the rear that she had sold out her front door!

Just be creative. Look at everything with an eye on how to make money with it.

Senior lady where I am now started making kites like she did as a child in Barbados. Pretty...made with tissue paper. She sold a couple to a stand at the farms market...just talking with him..not a sale she call. He wanted a couple for his farm stand. Next, he was selling them! She took a butterfly version to a craft show and got a contract to provide them to all the craft stores in the chain. Now she has a couple grand daughters working in this business with her.

Lots of opportunities. But...do not think that you will get MORE time for yourself.

A two person setup can be difficult. In building and dealing with. My 2 cents ... If you don't know what she would think of the idea ... It wont work ... Haha

VanKitten said:
The possibilities for creating your own business are literally all around you.   But...do not think success means having your time be your own...

Lots of opportunities.  But...do not think that you will get MORE time for yourself.

But my definition of success is having my time. To me my time is worth more than anything else. I do not want many possessions. 

I am under the impression that if I leave my 9-5 tethered here in the city and become a van dweller I will get more time for myself. I don't mean to argue but I do want to make sure my line of thinking is correct in this matter and I'm doing it for the right reasons

The big question would be the financial ability to buy/build a rig and then support yourself while you figure out how to cover your financials.

Gideon33w said:
The big question would be the financial ability to buy/build a rig and then support yourself while you figure out how to cover your financials.

Definitely. I think I can get a good rig in place right now that I'm financially stable, the number 1 thing I'm sure for anyone doing this is making money on the road. I'm thinking of working customer service or accounting of some kind online. The other thought I liked is stopping in different areas for a month at a time to work and save for my next month or 3 on the road.

Steady internet connectivity is the biggest thing for people doing what you're suggesting. It is needed for most work-from-van type jobs.
Alternatively, you could start a company providing you have a specific skill you can bring to market.
But you're going to need to figure out the type if rig and needs. And if it's for one person or two, haha.

Spitfire Riggz said:
Hi everyone!

Well I always had this idea that I needed to be making a lot of money to buy my freedom. I wanted to have 3 properties, one in Oklahoma, Colorado and Florida. I've had this bugging thought in my head that I could live in a vehicle but it wasn't until now that I'm on this forum that I am starting to see just how plausible this is. The funny thing is I am living the "American dream". I have a good job, I'm engaged and I'm in the middle of buying a home RIGHT NOW. But I'm not happy.

Where you live will not make you happy.  What you have will not either.  Things will not make you happy.  Happiness comes from within. 

It sounds to me that you are too focused on trying to get things to make you content - a home in Oklahoma, one in Colorado, and one in Florida - a van - a motorbike-etc. 

Try a bit of zen first.  Examine yourself so that you understand your passions so that they can lead you.  Don't start with externals.  Start with internals.

mpruet said:
Where you live will not make you happy.  What you have will not either.  Things will not make you happy.  Happiness comes from within. 

It sounds to me that you are too focused on trying to get things to make you content - a home in Oklahoma, one in Colorado, and one in Florida - a van - a motorbike-etc. 

Try a bit of zen first.  Examine yourself so that you understand your passions so that they can lead you.  Don't start with externals.  Start with internals.

I agree. I do want to emphasize that I wanted those things and the reason I wanted them was because that's what I thought I needed to be able to have the life I want (traveling,  experiencing the country, freedom etc). I am now realizing I don't need those properties. Motorcycling is a hobby of mine. It's a great form of meditation i find. I would need a vehicle to dwell in hence the van.

Gideon33w said:
Steady internet connectivity is the biggest thing for people doing what you're suggesting. It is needed for most work-from-van type jobs.
Alternatively, you could start a company providing you have a specific skill you can bring to market.
But you're going to need to figure out the type if rig and needs. And if it's for one person or two, haha.

I am studying financial counseling. Maybe that could work. I know there's sites where people pay for others services. Just an idea

Spitfire Riggz said:
I am studying financial counseling. Maybe that could work. I know there's sites where people pay for others services. Just an idea

That is certainly a service which could be offered online as a private company.
Good mobile internet setups plus using coffee shops and whatnot works for internet.
Can you complete the courseware for that degree/cert online?

Spitfire Riggz said:
I agree. I do want to emphasize that I wanted those things and the reason I wanted them was because that's what I thought I needed to be able to have the life I want (traveling,  experiencing the country, freedom etc). I am now realizing I don't need those properties. Motorcycling is a hobby of mine. It's a great form of meditation i find. I would need a vehicle to dwell in hence the van.

You mentioned that you were engaged to be married?  What does your fiancee think about living in a van?  Would she be willing to live in a van if you were still working in OKC?

Some practical suggestions.  You may have money now to support the purchase of a van and start the lifestyle that you want, but you will also need to support it after you make the transition as well.  You are only 25 so I suspect that you do not have enough cash to last 50 years on the road.

While it is possible to be employed while on the road, it isn't that easy.  You need more than internet connectivity.  You need clients, a product, and marketing.  People have to be willing to hire your services.  Either that or you need to travel for part-time employment using some of the suggestions that Bob has suggested for employment.  How will your fiancee feel about the risk of unsteady income?

I was fortunate in that I held a fairly good position in software development in which I had always worked remotely. Initially I worked at a remote office in Dallas, then I worked from home.  After that I was able to work from a condo that I have in Colorado.  My final year was working from an RV using my cell phone as a wireless modem.  I was able to advance to a software architect role and the team leader of a sizable team.  In each case I was moving further and further into a more mobile position - basically "Have Laptop, Can Work". 

You say that you are studying Finance.  That is good, but in order to attract clients you are going to have to have clients first.  You've got to prove that you can do the job before anyone will hire you, and that might mean that you first might have to work in some financial firm - be it accounting, brokerage, etc. And if you should become a broker, then you would need to have the ability to make investments.   Yes - there are firms that do nothing but advise, but they generally work with the major trading houses - and you would have to have a track record in order to get that type of work. 

So - I guess that I'd suggest before you make any move at all that you get your goal set and then determine what you must to do obtain that goal.  Once you reach a goal which can be done remotely or mobile, then start making the move to be mobile.

Oh yes - there is nothing which says that you couldn't use OKC as a home base and do van camping trips on the weekends.  There are plenty of campgrounds in south east Oklahoma and western Arkansas.

IMHO, too many variables and unknowns at this point.
Take it in bite sized bits, prioritize. Else the stress and frustrations will make you lose your hair. Lol.

Prioritize. Career and finances first for stability. Relationship communication, development a close second. After that, worry about vehicle/ living arrangement and motorcycle last. It is a toy, fun, but a toy.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I will definitely take my time and not be impulsive with this. I'll become a forum dweller before I upgrade to van dweller ;)