Theadyn's van and trip log

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On to the job thing..

Since I am on wheels, I have been considering my options. I have been looking for work online, but.. yeah.. I'm no IT expert and there seems to be more scams out there than I can shake a stick at, so, not working out so well on that front.

Poked around on seasonal gigs, mostly looking through Coolworks website. Although there are quite a few openings, figuring out the pet thing has been an issue, thus far.

I did apply for a full time position at a hospital in the town my daughter lives in, which can be good and bad. Good: Very good stable pay, same town my daughter is in, would be able to save up money tons. Bad: full time drudgery and limited freedom. Sure, could do that for 'x' amount of years and save up to escape.. but... it would be like going in reverse to me. Ya know?

Which brings me to my next thought: Travel xray tech jobs. Poking around at what positions are open and wow! it all just seems kind of perfect. Contract work for 12-13 weeks, great pay, med insurance, free housing, I pick where to apply. My license is current, years of experience, and my wrist has been doing really well these last few months. My ideal would be to work 2 contracts a year, which would be equal to about 6 months, then get to do what I want the other 6 months of the year. The amount of the wages they pay would more than make that do-able. Some allow pets, some don't. I believe my parents would be agreeable to help for 'x' amount of months should it not work with me taking her. Some allow a living expense and could keep her with me while living cheap in the van. But anyhoo, it would sure work perfect for needing to find work and also allow for some time off without the quitting aspect of it. I've applied at two of those and have 3 more I'm interested in, as well.

So that's it for now. Monday my mom and dad are heading up to yucky northwestern Oklahoma to pick up a rig for my RV dealer sis.. and I'm very scared to see it.. It's a Class B, they said BMW but probably Mercedes RV she traded for that she wants to use for their upcoming trip to Texas. They want me to go, I might or might not. Would be a kick to drive the sucker back for them, see how it does. I'd be afraid I wouldn't want to get out of it. ;)

You have a professional career you can hang on to and go on the road - go for it. It'll be travel with sponsorship.

Lady Theadyn

My last GF was a retired Army RN.
She did the travel nurse contract thing and was very happy with the whole deal.
She parked her class B in the hospital lots and just added the paid housing expenses to her pocket! Great money for the contracts too.
She has a chihuahua "Coco the wonder dog"

There are LOTS of hospitals that hire extra nurses that way.
Hope you do as well as a tech!! Sounds like you have found  a great way to travel and earn enough to take plenty of time for yourself to wander....... :cool:

Sounds like a great way to fund the lifestyle you want. I'm in the midst of trying to decide my next step also. I just had a contract to build a house postponed again, and I was really counting on it this time. The same day, out of the blue I was offered my old position back as an inspector with the local building department. I have some of the same pros and cons as you working full time at a hospital near your daughter - good steady pay that would allow me to get completely out of debt much sooner, but less freedom to take off when I want - at least for a season. It's awful tempting though - in 3 - 5 years I could hang it up and just do a few jobs here or there on the road for spending money, vs at least 10 more years of constant hustling to make ends meet. Good luck and best wishes with your decision as to the best fit for you.

MP
I would vote for anything that could turn 10 years into 3-5!
I'm really glad I pulled the plug early !

masterplumber said:
Sounds like a great way to fund the lifestyle you want. I'm in the midst of trying to decide my next step also. I just had a contract to build a house postponed again, and I was really counting on it this time. The same day, out of the blue I was offered my old position back as an inspector with the local building department. I have some of the same pros and cons as you working full time at a hospital near your daughter - good steady pay that would allow me to get completely out of debt much sooner, but less freedom to take off when I want - at least for a season. It's awful tempting though - in 3 - 5 years I could hang it up and just do a few jobs here or there on the road for spending money, vs at least 10 more years of constant hustling to make ends meet. Good luck and best wishes with your decision as to the best fit for you.

rvpopeye said:
MP
I would vote for anything that could turn 10 years into 3-5!
I'm really glad I pulled the plug early !

The other part of it is, even if you decide to go your own route, it's much easier to market yourself when you're already holding a well paying position.

Okay, so...  the travel tech thing is out the window.  At least, for now.  The company I talked to said they only hire people with recent experience, which it's been a few years for me.  The 10 years experience prior did not matter.  Said I needed to have at least a years experience, now, to be considered for a traveling position.  Crap.   lol

Okay, on to the next!!  Looking around at seasonal jobs, have applied for a few.  Will keep all informed. 

So...   today...   I got to go see my RV sis's new rig.  She traded a rig for a class B Winnie Mercedez motor RV.  Here is mom and dad posing, lol

[img=660x495]https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...6226d1c70114b954b878119ee80&oe=5765804F[/img]

So I got roped into going next week on a trip.  ::)  We're taking this to south Texas, me, mom, and older two sis's to go and visit little sis near San Antonio.  Older two sis's have to go away for a business luncheon a few days, but otherwise, it's a sister's and mom getaway.  Dad agreed to keep my doggy Chevy while we are gone.  :)

Thing is nice.. ugh!!  Too nice!   I will try not to get too attached, lol.  Class B, but has a slide, and three beds.  We'll be at my little sis's house for the most part, but should I need to escape, I'll hole up in there in the driveway, no problem, haha.   Hey, RV sis will be selling it once we get back..  only $56k.. no biggy.  I'll write a check.  ;)

It will be a nice getaway, with crazy sisters and crazy mom, and in an RV...  I'm down!!  ::)     (will worry about the job thing later I guess)  Must remember to pack the essentials..  mainly some alcohol to be able to deal with them, shhhh.....  ;)

Hope you enjoy that little trip.
Yeah , those mercedes Views are nice ,I checked one out for shits and giggles.....smaller on the inside than I expected..
I'd be afraid just one repair bill would exceed my yearly budget though !
Is that sister w/the rig single and would she mind being called Olive? Skuh kuh kuh kuh

rvpopeye said:
Is that sister w/the rig single and would she mind being called Olive? Skuh kuh kuh kuh

Sorry.. I think she has an aversion to the name Olive. Lol!! J/k. She not single, sorry. But, she will sell it. ;) haha That is her business, after all. :)

Well ! If she's still going to sell it....... that's very different ,,nevermind!
(probably because she can't afford the repairs)

Anyway enough funnin' save that for your girl's trip.....

Theadyn said:
  Must remember to pack the essentials..  mainly some alcohol to be able to deal with them, shhhh.....  ;)

You've got it all figured out after all. Adda girl.

TMG51 said:
You've got it all figured out after all. Adda girl.

Girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.. haha! :D

As a funny side note: Yesterday at lunch, one of my sister's made the remark that I should get a 'tiny house'. I replied that I already have one, it just happens to have wheels. Then, she said she saw one the other day that I should have grabbed up. I replied that that would mean I was stuck in one place and couldn't move around if I wanted. Then, she said how many square feet it was, and I came back with mine being 56 sq ft. And kept on about being able to cook in the tiny house, or take a shower, to which I had answers how I accomplished the same thing. She finally gave up, lol.

Pammy -1 Arguing sister - 0

My firmer foam mattress came in yesterday, I spent the evening hacking on it to get it to size. Today, will be aiming to wrestle the thing in under the other layers. Hoping this helps with the bed. :)

Skuh kuh kuh kuh :p
You're really settling in to this life.
First round , your point !
Now for your next trick.....
Convert them all to van dwellers!
How long is this trip for ?

rvpopeye said:
Skuh kuh kuh kuh :p
You're really settling in to this life.
First round , your point !
Now for your next trick.....
Convert them all to van dwellers!
How long is this trip for ?

Not sure I will have to work very hard to convert them.. we spent about 3 hours hanging out in their new rig last night. Me, mom n dad, sis and her hubby. All just hanging out comfortably in a class B. RV sis kept pestering her hubby to keep the thing instead of selling after the trip, haha! Dad kept saying, more than once, "You can live in this!" Aha... ;)

Trip is only for about a week. Hey, pretty much will cost me zilch, works for me. :D Plans have changed, we will be heading down to Rockport, TX, where me and mom will be dropped off before 2 sis's head further south for their business thing. Me and mom will spend about 2 days there in Rockport. I've already been informed I'll be the designated chauffer for her in the car rental we find, yee, as mom has 4 sisters around there we will be seeing. Then my other 2 sis's will come pick us up and we'll head up to near San Antonio to visit with other sis a few days. I need to dig out my summer clothes to pack. :D

Oh, and dad agreed to help me make some shelves and stuff in my van when I get back. He's pretty sure I am in need of a sink and water system, haha. Who knows what we'll come up with. :)

Uhh Huh , dad sounds like the perfect accomplice !
Hope he makes Van Halen better than ever.
If you can think of anything else now would be a good time !!

I have some friends in Rockport area , nice beaches , great seafood and weather....get a bit'o the salt air in ya lungs....that stuff can cure anything for me !!

Okay.. but just hear me out, first.

Here it is, not even 1am, and I'm wide awake (I did sleep a few hours, though). Why, you ask? Well, let me tell you the whirlwind that transpired just yesterday. My brain is still processing, fretting, and basically not letting me freakin' sleep.

I do admit, I have been stressing over the income/job thing. Thing that was hanging me up the most was the doggy thing, with summer coming and the heat and no A/C or good ventilation. Have contemplated selling both vehicles to get something with amenities, since most jobs I was perusing came with free spot/hookups. But then it went right back down to things that could break and having one vehicle and my brain goes round and round and round.

So I get a text from my RV sis asking if I wanted to come clean a few of her RV's for some cash. Uhhh.. yeah! Off I went. Within 10 minutes of me getting there, though, she told me she had a brilliant idea come to her and wanted to know what I thought about it.

She then took me over to a 5th wheel, I assumed to show me what I was to clean next. Nope. It actually had belonged to her father-in-law, he traded it in on a better one, someone had used it after he got something better, trashed it, and there it was for my sis and bro-in-law to fix up and re-sell. I have no idea what she told the man, but apparently he is just going to give it to me to get rid of it. I will pay something for it, of course, but wow. More on this in a bit.

While she talking to said father-in-law, he asked if I needed a job. She hooked me up on that, as well. He had just expanded his business and needed to get new employees, so it was good timing. He owns a pretty well known beef jerky company that is an hour and half closer to where my daughter lives. So, I have a job. (of course she made sure I would still be able to go this coming week with them to Texas, haha! I'll start after I get back)

In the span of 5 minutes, I have an RV and a job... O.O

Yes, kind of taking a step back from my goals, but I really do need to have an income. Bonus, hello? Beef jerky!!! lol Anyway, I know how to live cheap and can start saving. I can handle it if I know it's not permanent. If I set a goal of 'x' amount of years or 'x' amount saved up it will make the 9-5 job thing bearable. I'll be giving up most of my freedom to set myself up a little better with some dough. Give and take in everything.

And it works very well with trying to figure out the pooch thing with the weather. I wasn't going to give her up, no way.

Hey, look at it this way, I will still be living full time in an RV. ;)

On to the rig... I'm still trying to believe this is real, btw. So it's a bit older Montana brand. Has 3 slides, two of which are opposite each other in the living area. Large fridge. Sofa, recliner, desk, table and chairs already in there. Washer and dryer included. The tires on them look brand new. One of those high dollar Tempurpedic mattresses. Like a furnished house sitting there waiting on me. Her father-in-law lived in it for a few years, so it should survive the cold temps around here just fine. Gees, it's super dirty and some things need to be fixed, but... yeah. It could make for a very good home base for later down the road.

I took some pictures, but not sure I want to post any, lol. It's bad dirty.

I kept thinking that the right thing would reveal itself if I was patient. I was trying really hard not to stress overmuch about all the uncertainty with the income thing, and where to live thing. Well? I needed a job, boom, I now have one. I was worried about the weather and the doggy, boom, have an RV with heat and air. I was worried I wouldn't be able to hack living out of a van permanently without some amenities, boom, will live in a 5th wheel with all the amenities. I've already contemplated getting a different rig that would suit me better, boom, now I can save up for what I really want. If anyone comes through my area and needs a place to crash, do laundry, or wants long hot showers, boom, I'll be right on I-40 just west of Oklahoma City.

Will you guys still love me if I'm living in a 5th wheel?? *runs from the thrown tomatoes*

Enough of my middle of the night ramblings. So, umm, yeah, this was how my afternoon went. Still processing...

Theadyn said:
Will you guys still love me if I'm living in a 5th wheel??

Yes, and "well played" w/ the work and a better space to live. :)

Wow, things seem to be lining up just right for you! About time! I think you have an excellent plan -hunker down for awhile, work and save, think about what you'll need for a happy traveling life and go get it! Since you'll be stationary for a time maybe you can fit in some xray tech work and have the traveling tech job option again.

Latest posts