The One Best cooking appliance?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't do white gas, watched one blow up on my dad (later determined a defective valve), 2nd and 3rd degree burns for him and lifelong fear of those stupid stoves for me.

I've always kept a knock down Sterno Stove with my Boy Scout Mess Kit as a bare minimum.

81vZwfqSY6L._SL1500_.jpg

Old style Boy Scout Mess Kit

il_340x270.1102199272_nzgj.jpg

I generally keep aluminum foil to line the cooking vessels with so clean up will be quick.

The can of Sterno & matches fits into the pot to pack along with the folded flat stove. Requires little space.

John61CT said:
How much do you need to cook a gallon of chili from scratch say for a good hour?

Without having to stop to refill and restart, is that even possible with the Trangia? Are there larger capacity stoves?

A gallon would be a bit much.  But the Trangia holds enough alcohol to cook a lot of things.  With the right stand, it's surprising what it will handle on a single fill.

I've made a couple quarts of soup at a time.  Have certainly cooked chili from scratch, but in amounts less than a gallon.  Cooked steaks in my heavy cast iron pan.  Made stir fry meat and vegetables.  Scrambled eggs and bacon, of course.  Pan fried fish.  You name it.

Now I have to stop...just made myself hungry!

eDJ_ said:
I've always kept a knock down Sterno Stove with my Boy Scout Mess Kit as a bare minimum.

81vZwfqSY6L._SL1500_.jpg

Old style Boy Scout Mess Kit

il_340x270.1102199272_nzgj.jpg

I generally keep aluminum foil to line the cooking vessels with so clean up will be quick.

The can of Sterno & matches fits into the pot to pack along with the folded flat stove. Requires little space.

I have both of those in my Bug Out stash. But not for van use.

John61CT said:
I love marine gear. Wish I could afford it :cool:

Marine equipment does seem to be better built, but $250. for an alcohol stove? Looking at it, it appears to have a knob to control temperature. I wonder how the mechanics of that works? It looks like it's built to last a lifetime too. Hmm.
I know a lot of the smaller sailboats I looked at years ago seemed to have these exact stoves.

If you KNOW you're going to make use of it for years, I'm sure a good investment.

And safe, fires on boats are usually bad electrics.

All of these are excellent ideas. I particularly like JetBoil, MSR Windburner, the alcohol stove kits, etc. But I got to wondering....since the JetBoil and Windburner seem to be geared largely toward backpackers; so how in the heck does a backpacker carry enough water to use these more than once or twice? Seems like the water would be a heavy load.

TxLady said:
All of these are excellent ideas.  I particularly like JetBoil, MSR Windburner, the alcohol stove kits, etc.  But I got to wondering....since the JetBoil and Windburner seem to be geared largely toward backpackers; so how in the heck does a backpacker carry enough water to use these more than once or twice?  Seems like the water would be a heavy load.

Most carry a water filter and use found water.  Filter it up and you're good to go.  If you're someplace very dry, you pack it in.

TxLady said:
All of these are excellent ideas.  I particularly like JetBoil, MSR Windburner, the alcohol stove kits, etc.  But I got to wondering....since the JetBoil and Windburner seem to be geared largely toward backpackers; so how in the heck does a backpacker carry enough water to use these more than once or twice?  Seems like the water would be a heavy load.
This is why you want to plan your backpacking around know area's that have water. Follow streams, hike to springs, etc. and carry a good water filtration system. I keep a Katadyn Vario in my bag. Haven't been hiking for a while though.

I had never even thought about water filters! Because I probably would never be backpacking but might be boondocking. So now it's a whole other thing to research!

TxLady said:
I had never even thought about water filters! Because I probably would never be backpacking but might be boondocking. So now it's a whole other thing to research!

Always a good thing to have handy, you never know when you water source might be compromised, a relatively inexpensive filter can prevent a lot of sickness.

LeeRevell said:
Or, use a coffee filter for the larger junk, and boil it.

I have long recommended wrapping a coffee filter around the intake of a water filter and use a rubber band to secure it. This way you have a pre-filter which helps keep your main filter clean longer. Coffee filters have other uses too, for instance, fire starting with a magnesium fire starter, but that's another story.

I just received my latest Amazon order, a Trangia-style alky stove. Nicely made of brass, with the separate "wind shield". Looking forward to testing it out. Need to get the proper type of alky fuel.

Moda Flame Bio Ethanol "fireplace fuel"

Kleen Strip Green denatured alcohol

More ethanol the better, less methanol which is a bit toxic.

Not isopropyl!

Drinking stuff is great but pricey.

Lots more options outside the US, like meths

I just ordered a new single burner stove on Amazon. Pretty versatile, and could solve a problem some have regarding those pesky hard tube propane connectors.
The "Gas One GS-3400P Dual Fuel Propane and Butane Portable..." stove uses either the small Butane cans directly in the stove, or connect a 1lb. Propane cannister using the included "Propane Converter Regulator" hose. Looks long enough to make placement easy.
Can't paste the link as I am on my cell phone now. Search on Amazon if interested. 90% of reviews in the four and five stars.

highdesertranger said:
I prefer a propane stove. I have had this stove for 30+ years,

I haven't had one problem with it.  mine was made in the USA(Utah).  they are probably made in China now,  I know most of Camp Chef's stuff is.  oh yeah they sell several accessories for them a pizza oven,  bbq,  and griddle.  highdesertranger

Catching up on this thread... HDR, YOU GOT ME with pizza oven accessory! I make homemade pizzas...while wondering how to do it on the road! ::mic drop::  :D :idea: