choosing pots and pans for butane single burner

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does one use the Iwatani with propane? Some type of adapter? And can I assume it has to be high pressure straight from the tank, not the low regulated pressure of an RV system?

Propane regulators are available adjustable in different ranges, can use manifold / splitters if different appliances have different needs.

When in doubt ask a pro.

There are propane bottle - to butane appliance adapters available on eBay and elsewhere. The quality stuff is from Korea, "​G-WORKS", pretty pricey, but includes the pressure adjustment feature.

USians pro's won't have a clue about the adapters though.

Terminology for the various fixtures, valve connections : male vs female of course

Butane ​thin and tall like Iwatani: CP / P220/ DOT2P / CP250 canisters (~ 5/32", 4mm)

Butane ​wide and squat (usually) standard 7/16 (11mm) UNEF threaded, Lindal Valve, aka "screw style" canisters, EN417 (/ EN521?)

Propane, standard BBQ & other bottles, usually vertical use, vapor valve: Type 1 QCC ACME + POL thread since OPDs were required, used to be POL only

Propane Coleman style 1#: 1"-20

To learn more, google the term + the gas, e.g.

https://www.google.com/search?q=POL+thread+propane

And add the other side gas + thread type + "adapter" to search for appropriate fittings.

the light weight, small sized pots and pans be they from children's toy sets or made for back packing are sized to work on backpacking stoves. Those stove have very small diameter pot supports.  Those types of pans work just right on those little burner rings. But the lightweight, small sized, backpaking pots and pans do not have long handles attached to them. That makes them safer to use as the weight of the handle does not tip the pan over.  

The butane/propane stoves we typically use inside for Van, car, RV, etc are too heavy and large for backpacking. The pan support brackets on them are 5 inches apart. The small pans meant for backpacking stoves are not a good fit.

However my research has turned up a commercially available option that will span the gap just right and allow the use of one of the small espresso type of coffee pots or other very small diameter to be used with the butane/propane single burner stoves. The keywords for that search are coffee pot gas burner reducer ring
You can see one of them in use on a single burner butane stove at this UK website
https://goo.gl/images/uBES2q

This is a link for a set of two of them from Amazon. Link: http://a.co/d/jhFMMkJ

You can also find them on ebay direct order from China.

One thing I have not seen mentioned is your pot should be bigger than the fire ring of the burner; ideally at least an inch bigger in diameter.  If the flame is wider than the pot you are wasting a lot of heat.

It's already been mentioned but all stainless is not equal and all manufacturers are not safe in re: to alloys used. Check your suppliers.

Spaceman Spiff said:
One thing I have not seen mentioned is your pot should be bigger than the fire ring of the burner; ideally at least an inch bigger in diameter.  If the flame is wider than the pot you are wasting a lot of heat.

Typically the single burner butane/propane cooktops have a burner with an outer ring of gas ports and also an inner ring. When you turn the stove on the low setting only the inner ring lights up. So no wasted heat but it will take a few minutes longer to heat water for coffee and that can seem an eternity to some who really need their coffee right away. Using the low heat to light only the single inside set of gas ports is the way it works on my Camp Chef stove. I don't have a Gas One stove to check and see if it too only lights the inner ring on low heat settings. But one of these days I will get a Gas One Dual Fuel Mini.  There are decent prices on them on Ebay and it would be nice to have the option of using propane versus the stove I have right now which is butane only.  But I have other wish list items that are more important to fund at the moment.