choosing pots and pans for butane single burner

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maki2

Reaction score
pots and pans for butane single burner size versus weight versus cooking time

One of the issues with the butane canister stoves or the butane/propane multi fuel stove is they don't work for smaller sized pans. The inside diameter between the tips of the support burner bars are 4 inches apart. A 5 inch or small diameter base on a pot can lead to tip over. A 6 inch to 10-1/2" diameter pot works well.

Now you might think that heating that cup or so of water needed to make an Aeropress cup of coffee will be faster to do in a small diameter pot. But that is not true, the larger the surface area on the base of a wider diameter pot will heat the water much more quickly than using a narrow diameter pot. 

The weight of a pot versus the weight of the handle on the pot is critical for safety reasons. Small lightweight pots with  handles tip over too easily when sitting on the butane stove supports. When the pot is empty some of those pots won't even rest on the supports without falling off the stove. Even with food in the pot it could be an accident waiting to happen with just a small bump to the table or slight push against the handle. A camping pot with a removable handle would be safer but then you still have some risk of the pot moving when you attach the handle.

Heavier weight pots...  Keeping things light weight is important but there are advantages to having a heavier pot. The first one is keeping the pot more securely in place on the stove as described handle versus weight of the pot for balance consideration. Of course cast iron is a nice option but what if you want non stick?  Always remember one very important fact, high heat cooking is enemy #1 for destroying the non stick quality of the coatings. If you want to do high heat grilling, searing or frying go with cast iron or steel pans, those metals will hold up to those temperatures. But for the rest of the cooking which is done on medium high to low temperature opt for purchasing aluminum non stick pans made with a thicker base. The thicker base adds that extra weight to offset the weight of the handle, the extra weight makes the pans more stable up on those burner ring supports and best of all it distributes the heat more evenly across the bottom of the pans. The extra mass of the metal makes it easier to slow simmer foods with a low flame without having a hot spot in the middle that would burn the food if you were trying to simmer with a thin pan.   If you have been frustrated with having a non stick pan go bad not that long after you own it, despite it having good reviews the issue could be that you are getting the pan too hot, remember high heat will destroy that non stick property of the coating even if it is not noticeably damaged. It is not just about scratching it or what you wash it with. It is the heat that does the most destruction to the non stick property. Don't let your pans boil dry, that would ruin them because they will get too hot when that happens. Of course if all you are doing with a pan is using it to heat water then you don't need a non stick interior in it, think tea kettle, but get one that is short and wide versus tall and narrow in width. The squat ones will be much more stable on your cooktop.

So after experimenting for a month of cooking on a butane stove I came to some changes in my thinking about cookware. I started out thinking my cookware should be light weight but then through experience and analysis I realized that I was better off having heavier pans in terms of the best cooking functionality for the small single burner propane/butane stove tops. One suggestion is if you like myself end up shopping for pots and pans at thrift stores take the burner ring top from the stove to the store with you. That way you can test the pots for diameter and also stability and avoid getting a pan that will be prone to tipping off the burner ring support because they are too small or have too heavy of a handle versus the weight of the pot.

I do have one small diameter skillet with a lid that I love for cooking a single egg, a hamburger or for making grilled sandwiches. It was too small of a diameter to rest securely on the burner ring. So I had been keeping an eye out at the thrift store for a circular, stainless steel support rack, the kind that is used inside of a pressure cooker. I found one yesterday that is perfect, at 7 inches for the outside diameter it sits just right on top of the burner ring, the inner diameter ring at 2-3/8" and the diagonal bars of the new support rack do  not sit directly over any of the gas ports therefore it does not turn the metal of it into a glowing red (think forging metal). I did not have the stove at the store with me to test the fit to avoid that issue but fortunately it was just right. A $1.49 solution which lets me use a favorite little covered skillet for cooking for one.  Some days you just get lucky with your thrift store finds.

Remember safety matters, it is not just the flame of these butane burners that is a safety issue, it is also the stability of the pans used on them.

You know, I was in an old Ben Franklin somewhere last summer, and they had for sale there a set of really beautiful, small pots and pans, which I believe were stainless steel.

They were in the TOY section, made for kids play kitchens!

The sales lady there told me they sell a lot of those to hikers and campers to use on one burner, butane stoves.

I don’t remember who made them, but they shouldn’t be hard to find online.

A metal grid, like the rack from an old toaster over, can be placed on the burner and then any size pot on top of the grid.

WanderingRose said:
You know, I was in an old Ben Franklin somewhere last summer, and they had for sale there a set of really beautiful, small pots and pans, which I believe were stainless steel.

They were in the TOY section, made for kids play kitchens!

The sales lady there told me they sell a lot of those to hikers and campers to use on one burner, butane stoves.

I don’t remember who made them, but they shouldn’t be hard to find online.
Unfortunately those are exactly the wrong pots to buy to use on a single burner butane/propane cooktop. The are so small that they won't sit on top of the burner support brackets but instead would fall into the burner ring.   Small is not a better choice for this type of cooktop. You want a pan that optimally will be no less than 6" in diameter on the base that rest on the support brackets for the pans.

MrNoodly said:
A metal grid, like the rack from an old toaster over, can be placed on the burner and then any size pot on top of the grid.

Good choice as that is a rack that will be able to take high heat from the flames. A lot of people throw out old racks along with the toaster ovens but sometimes the racks do end up in thrift stores. 

But don't buy a cooling rack made for cooling down cookies or cakes, the wire they are made with is not sufficient for dealing with the direct heat output of the burner flames. It does have to be a larger diameter of wire made to go inside of an oven.

Maybe you have the wrong type of stove if smaller cookware doesn't fit. I'm a propane person myself.

It's all about the pan/skillet for the job. Heavier bases and lighter handles is a good thing.

I carry 5 skillets ranging from about 4" to 12". The 4" one sits perfectly fine on my propane stove. I found the little 4" one in the kitchen section at Walmart. Looks like a childrens toy skillet almost. It is non stick (PTFE-yuk) and works great for a fried egg. This is its' main chore. I love ceramic coated cookware and stainless steel. I won't have anything aluminum as anything acid like tomatoes will leach the metal into whatever you are cooking (as I understand it) and is too lightweight to distribute the heat evenly. I also carry a 4 quart SS double boiler pot with lid. I have a small pressure cooker too. Almost forgot the tea kettle.

If you can't tell, I like to eat well and sometime feed others. I have one sterilite 28 qt. bin devoted to cookware minus the pressure cooker. I'm in a Roadtrek so I may have more storage space than most vans.

one thing I haven't seen mentioned is you don't want a large pot to overhang so that it's over the Butane canister. I thought there was a warning with the stoves to avoid this. highdesertranger

maki2 said:
One of the issues with the butane canister stoves or the butane/propane multi fuel stove is they don't work for smaller sized pans. The inside diameter between the tips of the support burner bars are 4 inches apart. A 5 inch or small diameter base on a pot can lead to tip over. A 6 inch to 10-1/2" diameter pot works well.

Remember safety matters, it is not just the flame of these butane burners that is a safety issue, it is also the stability of the pans used on them.

I don't know what brand of butane stove you bought but mine is only a 3" diameter opening in the center that allows me to use the smallest of saucepans with no danger of tipping.

It's an Alpha that I bought from K&B Tools in Quartzite.

A recent acquaintance took my advice and switched from having to run his generator for his induction stove (yes, it's a newbie) to a butane stove but he picked his up at a sporting good shop in Lake Havasu. Not only did he pay $22.00 (mine was $15.00 3 years ago) but it's also got the wider spaced pot supports on it. He's having to fashion a supplementary pot support for his stove rather than drive back up there to return it.

Apparently it pays to shop at K&B - or at least be cognizant of the differences in stoves.

HDR, there is a warning to that effect - on my stove at least. But, I can safely use a 10" fryp and and my largest pot on the stove. Something like a  large wok would be a no no!

The other danger of a large pot is the scorch mark I left on the wooden divider at the end of my counter. My large fry pan was touching the wood when I was cooking and the heat kinda took off the paint and scorched the wood. Nothing a bit of sandpaper and new paint won't fix but still!

I looked up the set for children that I mentioned earlier and they are made by Melissa&Doug and stainless steel.

6” diameter, pretty inexpensive, a small skillet and two saucepans.

You couldn’t feed a crowd with these, but could cook for one very nicely.

Attachments

• 29EF5559-A386-4460-AA40-D8B102555821.jpeg
    29EF5559-A386-4460-AA40-D8B102555821.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 10
Hmm, maybe because of their size vs size of flame they could be dangerous on a traditional stovetop?

They are good quality stainless steel, as I held them in my hand at that store, so it would seem a butane burner wouldn’t harm them.

I own no stock in Melissa&Doug, so have no dog in this hunt. :)

It could also be a liability thing. Lawyers...........

Maybe they're perfectly fine to cook with but just one incident with a kid using them on a stove that results in a fire or burns would be horrible. Hence the warning? Both for the kids sake but more importantly for the reputation of the company. Lawyers.........

I've found that lightweight camping pots & pans with a series of grooves machined into the bottom of the pan have better heat dispersion and  help prevent slipping on precarious stove burners: Frypan heat ridges

I usually use various camping/backpacking pots & pans, but I have to admit there's nothing like my well-seasoned cast iron skillet for everything from grilled cheese to stir frys.

Here's an article on outfitting and organizing a campervan kitchen to make the most of precious cooking space and clean-up time: Campervan Kitchen

I love my cast iron, too.

That website recommends the nesting cookware popular with backpackers, but for the two propane burners usually found in Class B motorhomes.

They apparently come in different sizes, S,M,L, at $75-$95 per set. :(

I wouldn't use them to cook with. it could be what they are made out of. stainless can mean a lot of things and not all stainless is safe to cook with. highdesertranger

IMO buy the stove that fits the cookware you want to use, not v/v.

My choice

http://www.iwatani.com/cp/stoves/35fw/

Can wire into the propane tank when used inside, that way you just use the $1.20 butane cans when you want to use in portable mode.

We often use a 30" wok, outside of course.