The One Best cooking appliance?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Michael4104 said:
My Instantpot pressure cooker. Yes i have the battery and solar power to support it.

Any feedback? Would love to bring my Cuisinart Pressure Cooker...

highdesertranger said:
check it out,  https://www.campchef.com/stove-acce.../14-ovens/artisan-outdoor-oven-accessory.html .  they have several models,  this is just one.  I have my eye on them.  highdesertranger

I was given a 3 burner Camp Chef Expedition recently. I've been eyeing the griddles and now you mention a pizza oven. Dang.

Any suggestions on which accessories are the most useful? The griddle seemed like a must have but I still haven't pulled the trigger as it's $80.

I would get the griddle...two burner size, leaving one burner open for pot or skillet.
2nd accessory would be the deluxe BBQ box...cast iron grate, heat diffuser...can also be used as a shallow oven for pies, biscuits, corn bread, etc. and pizza.

Word of caution...use only low heat settings with the griddle. (and/or never loan it out)....My first griddle came back from a weekend loan warped so bad it had to be scrapped. The new griddles come pre seasoned and the reinforcement underneath seems a bit heavier than my old one.

I have both a pro 60 and pro 90 with folding legs, ~30 years old and still working great. The only 'issue' is size and weight...suited for cargo trailer types vs the average van dweller.

I have a griddle(2 burner) and a BBQ box(1 burner). they both work great. they griddle is huge, I sort of wish I would have done it the other way and have gotten a single griddle and a double BBQ. but alas now they have a pizza oven, dang. highdesertranger

I'd need a separate kitchen trailer, modern day Chuckwagon. Heck probably make a good living at it, stealth foodtruck!

highdesertranger said:
I have a griddle(2 burner)  and a BBQ box(1 burner).  they both work great.  they griddle is huge,  I sort of wish I would have done it the other way and have gotten a single griddle and a double BBQ.  but alas now they have a pizza oven,  dang.  highdesertranger

Good call out. I would probably have gone with the 2 burner griddle and 1 burner box too. Decisions, decisions.

yeah you know if I am cooking for a group the 2 burner griddle is great and the 1 burner BBQ sucks. but I am doing less of cooking for groups nowadays. so it kinda depends what you want to do with it. highdesertranger

TxLady said:
Portability and not needing to deal with 20 lb propane tanks required for built-in two burner propane stoves in most RV's.  I can lift an empty 20 lb tank but full is a different story.
Bob mentions a Worthington 1 gallon tank which is smaller and lighter. I did read that some propane locations won't fill less than 20 lb tank.

I've been using the same old 2 burner Coleman stove since 1985. I guess they don't make them like that anymore, though. For an electrical appliance, my 320 watt rice cooker. Very versatile. My son even steamed clams in his a few months ago. You can look at different recipes on the internet for ideas. You can even cook bread in them, though I haven't.
Ted