Which/How many appliances do you have?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the time I cook on a 2 burner propane stove. Sometimes I use a portable charcoal bbq.

I have a metal grill with folding legs that you can cook over a fire. I use it mainly to heat water for my washing up. I have one of those big metal pots people use for canning. It holds a lot of water and over a fire it heats up fast.

I don't have a fridge because it's cold enough I don't need one yet. But I plan on getting a good set of house batteries and convert a small apartment fridge to 12 volt before the warm weather arrives.

What I need most urgently is a good wood stove. Right now I am using a kerosene heater but there's no vent and I don't have any windows in my trailer. Another thing I need to do is score some windows and skylights so I can see outside and have a little bit of light.

When it's too cold to sleep without heat I run the generator in my pickup and use an electric heater to stay warm. I built a box around the generator so it doesn't make too much noise. But it uses about a liter of gas every hour to run a 1500 watt heater and that adds up.

For lights and occasional power I have a power pack. When I'm driving I just bring it into the cab of the truck so it can charge off the alternator. With LED's the battery lasts for days.

My microwave died and I haven't had the need to replace it.

I drink a lot of coffee and tea. To keep the beverage hot I use candles and a teapot stand from IKEA. The candles are 100 for $5 and you can use them for lanterns too. The candles last about four hours so sometimes I light a lantern to give myself a bit of light in the trailer and it burns itself out.

Those huge "Bubba" insulated mugs are a godsend when it comes to keeping stuff hot and cold. They work better than any thermos I've ever had. In the summer they can mean I still have ice cubes in the water I put on the nightstand for overnight, and in the winter they mean my coffee can stay hot for hours. They hold enough that I don't have to keep heating and reheating (or cooling and cooling again) whatever is inside to keep a good supply at the right temperature on hand. They're under $15 and very durable, so they're pretty much all I ever drink from now. Highly recommend those.

I have a van and travel trailer so I have all the microwave and crap that came in the travel trailer. My two favorite appliances though are my air fryer (when plugged in) and my Roadpro oven and Hotlogic mini when driving. Great to have a hot meal cooking away in the passenger seat!

Other Appliances I have

ARB 50 qt Fridge
Single Burner Coleman Stove
Jensen 20" DC TV
Mr. Buddy Heater
Standard Electric Space Heater when plugged in
300 Watts Renogy Solar on Van and 100 Watt Portable Panel System for the Travel Trailer

If you have a propane powered fridge and stovetop you can easily manage RV living and make very nice meals without any electric appliances in the kitchen.