Summer LTVA / New Mexico State Parks Season Pass what is it like?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbankid12

Reaction score
Hi I been staying at the LTVA this winter and I love it! It’s my first year living in my minivan and I’m starting to get worried about the summer.  I was planning on just staying at New Mexico State Parks with there season pass but the more I think about it the more worried I get that I might be kicked off for coming to often or it be to crowded ( was thinking of just having a rotating 6-8 places I stay from 6-13 days ) but I’m confused as to how realistic it is as how cool it will be ( ideally 60s-77 highs) I can’t stand 80s and hotter weather. Not sure if there is an elevation chart ( like 3k in March 4K in April 8k in may and 10k ect..) I’m from Minnesota so this is all a new experience.. 

Has anyone done an entire summer or ever mapped out the best New Mexico state park locations closer to cities that have supplies like food and are high enough in elevation to still be cool.  Plus traveling with a dog makes everything more challenging (but Walmart new pickup options for buying food is amazing! ) if anyone has any feedback it be much appreciated !!!

I also saw the LTVA in Bishop I was gonna look more into as well maybe that be a good books around my La Posa LTVA season  though I’m trying to do this on driving as little as possible.  Next year if I’m still doing this I think I’d be more open to exploring and traveling more.

Hi, urbankid12. I don’t know the answer to your questions, and even worse, I’m going to throw a monkey wrench into your plans. Due to COVID, all NM state parks have been closed to camping for several months. The current closure order is set to expire at the end of this month, but I would not be surprised if it were renewed for the summer. National Forest and BLM land are still available for dispersed camping.  This might not be the best year for the state parks pass.

https://newmexicostateparks.reserve...archResult.do?onsaleCode=NMStateParksWeekends

NM State Parks are still closed to non-residents for overnight camping. Covid, donchaknow.

Assuming they might open this spring or summer, then the answer is YES there are several NM parks in the northern half of the state at higher elevations that can be comfortable in the summer. 

Yes of course there might be some hot days in July and August, but resting in the shade and with lower levels of activity during mid-day, you can be very comfortable, especially if you camp under or adjacent to a forest canopy. Nights are comfortably cool, even in the summer, at these higher elevations. 

On this map, most of the parks north of I-40 can be comfortable in the summer, a few are NOT, such as Conchas Lake and Ute Lake:

http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/SPD/FindaPark.html

If they DO open it up for us 'fereners'...the yearly pass for out-of-state campers is $225...still a good deal.

The cooler temperatures in New Mexico are in the higher elevations of the Sangre de Cristo mountains east of Santa Fe and Taos, maybe Carson National Forest between Tierra Amarilla and Tres Piedras, and maybe the Lincoln National Forest around Cloudcroft. There's a chance of some cooler temps in the Gila Mountains, too, maybe around Reserve. But your 60-77 range probably wouldn't happen unless there's some sort of freakish weather front. It still gets warm. However, since you're from Minnesota, you probably haven't experienced the radical difference between 80° in humid climates and 80° in arid climates. The old saying, "But it's a dry heat," isn't a joke. It's really much more bearable.

Summer in many parts of the Southwest is also monsoon season with nearly daily thunderstorms. That can make unpaved roads and boondocking spots muddy and increase your chances of getting stuck.

For summers in the 60-77 range, go to one of the coasts. I prefer the Pacific.

Minneapolis summers' of 85 degrees and 85% humidity. I don't miss that. Nor do I miss -29 F as the high temp for an entire week in late January.

Latest posts