Hello from NM

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand now why they call New Mexico the Land of Enchantment! It’s beautiful here!
I’m looking forward to meeting people from heere along the way too. Now that COVID #s are going down, I really need to find more “community”!
I’m not sure why this post would anger anyone. My apologies if I’ve been offensive.

Attachments

• E4CA92AD-169B-4653-9176-6BDF5069B2BD.jpeg
    E4CA92AD-169B-4653-9176-6BDF5069B2BD.jpeg
    42.7 KB · Views: 10
I am awaiting the papers to sign on a piece of property in NM right now. 8050 feet elevation.
Maybe good for 6-7 months a year. Then wayyyy too cold. But I am tired of worrying about Govt. The Cop already knows me and does not make me move on right away. But my cover was blown by some logger idiot.. No shock there

Been lucky the last 12 months no Govt people noticed that I have been parked in the same spot... Well that ended.

Property is not large but closest neighbors are 500 feet away and best of all.. Trees

My Mother's first cousin owned Taos Honda Yamaha for like 30 years. I worked in Cafe for one summer in 90s.
I went to college in Colorado.

New Mexico has a crime issue... But here in WA where backwoods homesteading was big... Property 10 years ago, 35k....same property today 90k

One thing about NM, I design and make leather goods and there are lots of places on weekends to sell. NM State Fairgrounds on weekends is good $20 a day.

I have found out I will take a hit on my extra Medicare disability benefits but I am tired of worrying about the law and homeless in WA unless you want to play their game. The homeless camp crowd and all their Neverending issues is bringing the Govt down on everyone.

So time to go

I am awaiting the papers to sign on a piece of property in NM right now. 8050 feet elevation.
Maybe good for 6-7 months a year. Then wayyyy too cold. But I am tired of worrying about Govt. The Cop already knows me and does not make me move on right away. But my cover was blown by some logger idiot.. No shock there

Been lucky the last 12 months no Govt people noticed that I have been parked in the same spot... Well that ended.

Property is not large but closest neighbors are 500 feet away and best of all.. Trees

My Mother's first cousin owned Taos Honda Yamaha for like 30 years. I worked in Cafe for one summer in 90s.

New Mexico has a crime issue... But here in WA where backwoods homesteading was big... Property 10 years ago, 35k....same property today 90k

One thing about NM, I design and make leather goods and there are lots of places on weekends to sell. NM State Fairgrounds on weekends is good $20 a day.

I have found out I will take a hit on my extra Medicare disability benefits but I am tired of worrying about the law and homeless in WA unless you want to play their game. The homeless camp crowd and all their Neverending issues is bringing the Govt down on everyone.

So time to go
That sounds like a good setup. High enough you are surrounded by green and don’t have to worry about 90-100 degree days. I’m looking for something similar where I can stay 7-8 months a year and head to Yuma area for the winter. I’m limited to about 6000’ though. Unfortunately, I don’t tolerate higher elevations for extended periods of time.
There definitely seems to be higher than average crime her but, being from Detroit, I don’t sweat those stats as much as most people.
Good luck getting you piece of ground and hopefully peace of mind along with it!

If you are hoping that it will be legal to camp on your land... it won't be. You may get away with it depending on where it is, but you probably wouldn't be bothered on public land in NM either if you stay in the boonies.

If you are hoping that it will be legal to camp on your land... it won't be. You may get away with it depending on where it is, but you probably wouldn't be bothered on public land in NM either if you stay in the boonies.
Hey....
Yes I agree it can always be an issue. I have lived so called illegally on different properties for the past 30 years. All off grid.
This exact area is well known off grid refugee living spot. The Newspaper there did a report on a few people that were harassed living in RV. All were in developed area not out in no man's land. The Govt guy stated in the article that they are not out looking to see who is doing what but if they receive complaints they will act. So yes it's a chance. But no RV, Grand Caravan. From the Google Earth looks of the few living 500-1000 feet away. Doesn't appear they are bothering people.

I don't mind living in the minivan... But I like to know where home is. I have 6 cats and 90lb Pit bull. So, I have lived on state land 12 months.

There are several counties in NM like Cibola where they are not bothering people. No HOA is the key.

That sounds like a good setup. High enough you are surrounded by green and don’t have to worry about 90-100 degree days. I’m looking for something similar where I can stay 7-8 months a year and head to Yuma area for the winter. I’m limited to about 6000’ though. Unfortunately, I don’t tolerate higher elevations for extended periods of time.
There definitely seems to be higher than average crime her but, being from Detroit, I don’t sweat those stats as much as most people.
Good luck getting you piece of ground and hopefully peace of mind along with it!
I am from Pittsburgh originally so yeah I get crime thing. I am a bit concerned about the 8000 feet myself. I get disability for severe asthma. But I think hot weather is worse. Many places you can safely camp in NM without harassment are an hour+ to a normal grocery or services. So 20 minutes to town and only 3 miles dirt road was a plus....

Once you are acclimated to higher altitude it's not so bad. I lived outside Boulder over 10,300 feet.

The lowest elevation with tree cover I have seen is maybe 7000 feet... Pine Meadows Ranch in Cibola has reasonable 2.5 and 5 acre lots.

Hey....
Yes I agree it can always be an issue. I have lived so called illegally on different properties for the past 30 years. All off grid.
It is problematic. If you get in trouble for camping on land you own, then most likely it will be worthless to you. I guess you could sell it. I prefer camping in remote areas where there won't be anyone to complain... and if someone does, I can just move. You need a rig that can safely get to remote areas, though...

The lowest elevation with tree cover I have seen is maybe 7000 feet... Pine Meadows Ranch in Cibola has reasonable 2.5 and 5 acre lots.
You need to go pretty high for the tall pines, but if juniper count they are pretty thick down to 6,000 feet or so. I love that area around El Morro. (y)

I sincerely thank people for all of the warm welcomes. Unfortunately I’m goig to leave the forum. In general I don’t actively participate in these types of forums because they seem to usually have too much community disfunction. Although, the majority of people are awesome, there is always a portion of those who seem to enjoy patronize people. Maybe they feel better if they make someone else stupid or misinformed??? Or many are just generally negative people. And, unfortunately, it always seems these are the people who lurk the forum constantly and post replies very frequently.
I am disabled and cast into this life which was once part-time for me but became full-time due to my circumstances. I had hopes of finding community and informational help here. I have but it’s not enough to offset the number of those who are hell bent to make me feel like a worthless person.
Thank you to all of those who are supportive, helpful and caring people.

Zurdo, sorry to see you leave the forum. Its too bad that a few negative, judgemental people can drive others away. I have enjoyed your posts. As a New Mexico resident your perspective on my state is welcomed. Thanks, Jeff

Reactions: Sky
I had hopes of finding community and informational help here. I have but it’s not enough to offset the number of those who are hell bent to make me feel like a worthless person.
Why are you letting some "faceless nameless folk that you will never meet" get under your skin and impact what you do? You're giving them way too much power...

You control your emotions. Absorb what's informative, entertaining, empowering, or otherwise positive influences, and ignore the rest.

From my lawn chair, just now, in the “high desert”. I have a big horned owl that roosts in those trees right above me every evening!
Wow I am northwest of Taos and not that warm quite yet here and getting those high winds typical in the Spring. Looks like not much Spring melt and moisture though. Trying to work out in the winds to make more clearing to host rv/van/tuny house folks has been brutal. LOL

Why are you letting some "faceless nameless folk that you will never meet" get under your skin and impact what you do? You're giving them way too much power...

You control your emotions. Absorb what's informative, entertaining, empowering, or otherwise positive influences, and ignore the rest.
Hey Zurdo that is a surprise sorry to hear but really you should connect with me as I had been looking to create some coop community with like intended folk and it sounds like your already in NM.

Zurdo, sorry to see you leave the forum. Its too bad that a few negative, judgemental people can drive others away. I have enjoyed your posts. As a New Mexico resident your perspective on my state is welcomed. Thanks, Jeff
Cheers Jeff ~ from another New Mexican.

I sincerely thank people for all of the warm welcomes. Unfortunately I’m goig to leave the forum. In general I don’t actively participate in these types of forums because they seem to usually have too much community disfunction. Although, the majority of people are awesome, there is always a portion of those who seem to enjoy patronize people. Maybe they feel better if they make someone else stupid or misinformed??? Or many are just generally negative people. And, unfortunately, it always seems these are the people who lurk the forum constantly and post replies very frequently.
I am disabled and cast into this life which was once part-time for me but became full-time due to my circumstances. I had hopes of finding community and informational help here. I have but it’s not enough to offset the number of those who are hell bent to make me feel like a worthless person.
Oh sorry to have been off line for awhile so I did not get to know of you until now and seems you may be gone best wishes and your welcome to my land any time buddy.

So time to go
Well understood and I am at 8,200 on acreage in the trees and am expanding for hosting more nomads, tiny house and rv/van dwellers. Congrats neighbor welcome home.

Zurdo,

Don't leave. All forums are like this. There are always "know it all" types and argumentative people. Best to not respond to their posts. Maybe make it a point to only read technical posts for a while. Or posts that have info you are wanting to understand better.

I saw your post about someone who replied to your post with an "angry" emoticon. That same person did it to me on the same day. LOL. No idea why. Just assume they made a mistake.

Your Newcomer's thread is a busy one, because you are friendly and informative. We appreciate you!

Sorry to hear that Zurdo. Whatever your final decision is, I wish you the best of luck in your travels and future plans!

Cheers.

I wonder if we could just get rid of the angry-face emoji (in the admins' copious spare time [kidding]) altogether?

It's not like it gets used a lot, and for the occasional bit of sympathy ("I'm sorry that mean person did an angrifying thing to you") we could always, like, use our words.