Hello from NM

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zurdo

Reaction score
Hi,
I’ve actually been on the forum for a little while but it’s been a struggle this winter so I’ve kinda been hibernating.
I was actually pulled into the life by chance. I’m from Michigan. I used to travel the SW during the winter since 2017 with my dog and my small teardrop trailer. In 2019, I decided to move permanently to Tucson so I packed all my things into storage and started to look for a new desert home. Unfortunately, the pandemic broke out, the housing market dried up and to ad insult to injury, I lost more than half my income. I now live off social security which isn’t enough to make ends meet with a permanent roof over my head. I’ve been on the road full-time since leaving my temporary rental in Tucson on July 4th, 2020.
I had a New Mexico annual state park pass prior to the pandemic and thankfully, when NM reopened the state parks last February, they also extended everyone’s pass for an additional 12 month given the parks were closed to out of staters for a year. I’ve spent the past year wandering New Mexico and love it here. People are so kind in NM! I had planned to spend the winter at Imperial Dam LTVA but ended up staying in southern NM instead.
I am disabled and travel alone and I hope to be a little more active here in the future as I can use all the advice I can get. Given my extensive travels over the last 5 years, hopefully I can add some value as well.
Thanks for letting me join!
Brian

Where in southern NM? I lived in Deming about 100 years ago. Agree that NM is the best!

Where in southern NM? I lived in Deming about 100 years ago. Agree that NM is the best!
I’ve was switching between Rockhound and Pancho Villa State Parks but ended up planting temporary roots at an RV park near Deming so I can establish NM residency. I just extended my stay through most of April then creeping slowly north for the summer after that.

I <3 Rockhound, also the Pink Store in Palomas.

Hello and welcome...I have a question:

Are online reservations still required for the NM state parks?

During the pandemic, we lost the ability to just 'show-up' and stay, even with an ACP sticker on camper. They had added a $4 a day reservation 'fee'....which would add up if a person actually used that service a lot.

Hopefully, they are back to 'normal'.....whatever that is these days.

I’ve spent the past year wandering New Mexico and love it here. People are so kind in NM! I had planned to spend the winter at Imperial Dam LTVA but ended up staying in southern NM instead.
Welcome Brian. New Mexico sounds wonderful. Best of luck!

Last edited:

During the pandemic, we lost the ability to just 'show-up' and stay, even with an ACP sticker on camper. They had added a $4 a day reservation 'fee'....which would add up if a person actually used that service a lot.

That is a good question. I assumed it was still the case as it was throughout 2021. But, as I made my reservations for the summer, I noticed several of the sites were not open to reserve. It’s possible they have opened up more first come first serve sites like pre-pandemic.
The reserve only really does create problems. I never planned that far in advance and that was one thing I loved about NM parks as I could usually show up and get a site day of. And, the reserveamerica reservation fee adds $24+/month to my expenses.
I’ve already booked for the summer but I’m going to check if they’ve returned some of the sites back to first come first serve.

BTW, the $4/day is capped at $12 total per reservation so if you stay longer than 3 nights the $4s don’t keep accumulating. I always try to stay the full 14 nights if there is a site open. By reserving this far in advance, It wasn’t much of an issue to find 14 days in one site.

I screwed up my post earlier. Started to ask you if you watch youtube vids. Carolyn's RV Life is in NM now. Sometimes she recommends camping spots.

Welcome! I love NM - especially the higher elevations. What kind of teardrop do you have? I'm planning on buying one of the larger ones with all the facilities inside ~ 3000 lbs GW.

Welcome aboard!

Hi,
I’ve actually been on the forum for a little while but it’s been a struggle this winter so I’ve kinda been hibernating.
I was actually pulled into the life by chance. I’m from Michigan. I used to travel the SW during the winter since 2017 with my dog and my small teardrop trailer. In 2019, I decided to move permanently to Tucson so I packed all my things into storage and started to look for a new desert home. Unfortunately, the pandemic broke out, the housing market dried up and to ad insult to injury, I lost more than half my income. I now live off social security which isn’t enough to make ends meet with a permanent roof over my head. I’ve been on the road full-time since leaving my temporary rental in Tucson on July 4th, 2020.
I had a New Mexico annual state park pass prior to the pandemic and thankfully, when NM reopened the state parks last February, they also extended everyone’s pass for an additional 12 month given the parks were closed to out of staters for a year. I’ve spent the past year wandering New Mexico and love it here. People are so kind in NM! I had planned to spend the winter at Imperial Dam LTVA but ended up staying in southern NM instead.
I am disabled and travel alone and I hope to be a little more active here in the future as I can use all the advice I can get. Given my extensive travels over the last 5 years, hopefully I can add some value as well.
Thanks for letting me join!
Brian
Hey Brian cheers and I am a part timer snow bird up in Norte NM under the Colorado border. Yes cold now, (been hibernating and thawing) but if ya need a place bordering BLM especially to leave the heat as at elev 8,200, I welcome compatible rv'ers to give them an option especially during these times where, many of us were thrown under the buss with covids ''essential business'' only. Were in a similar boat just that I saw this shtf when we got some land 20+ yrs ago and am into growing food, diy and having nature as my neighbor.

I screwed up my post earlier. Started to ask you if you watch youtube vids. Carolyn's RV Life is in NM now. Sometimes she recommends camping spots.
Hey thanks Carla, I used to watch Carolyn's RV Life and will have to re-visit here since she is in my state ~

Welcome Brian... I'm kinda partial to the Silver City / Socorro area. Good luck with your travels - Twin Lakes outside Leadville, CO is a comfortable place to summer.

Welcome! I love NM - especially the higher elevations. What kind of teardrop do you have? I'm planning on buying one of the larger ones with all the facilities inside ~ 3000 lbs GW.

Welcome aboard!
I loved my teardrop. A NüCamp T@G. Unfortunately I had to sell it for something all self contained because it was so hard to find any place to stay during the early COVID days. I had hoped to upgrade to a bigger NüCamp but couldn’t find the one I wanted and it was a 5 month wait to order.
I highly recommend NüCamp. They are a good company and make a great product. I ended up with a small Winnebago towable and have regretted it ever since.

Attachments

• 5CCD27B2-0E21-4B8B-ACEA-5FDD4152BC7A.jpeg
    5CCD27B2-0E21-4B8B-ACEA-5FDD4152BC7A.jpeg
    282.8 KB · Views: 20
  • B608E2FF-2715-4ABA-8521-D6ED5057C185.jpeg
    B608E2FF-2715-4ABA-8521-D6ED5057C185.jpeg
    644.6 KB · Views: 20
I loved my teardrop. A NüCamp T@G. Unfortunately I had to sell it for something all self contained because it was so hard to find any place to stay during the early COVID days. I had hoped to upgrade to a bigger NüCamp but couldn’t find the one I wanted and it was a 5 month wait to order.
I highly recommend NüCamp. They are a good company and make a great product. I ended up with a small Winnebago towable and have regretted it ever since.
Yep, a NuCamp or a Braxton Creek 15 or 17 (both self contained) is what I'm looking at. Just waiting for the prices to go down more. They're just starting to drop but I think by this winter they'll be in free fall... I have a Jeep GC 4.7L V8 as the tow vehicle. You have a nice rig there! I looked at Winnebago's of the same size but they're bigger than what I want. I want to keep my total GVW below 5500 pounds - my Jeep can do 6300. Is your VW a 6 or 8 Cyl?

Cheers!

Yep, a NuCamp or a Braxton Creek 15 or 17 (both self contained) is what I'm looking at. Just waiting for the prices to go down more. They're just starting to drop but I think by this winter they'll be in free fall... I have a Jeep GC 4.7L V8 as the tow vehicle. You have a nice rig there! I looked at Winnebago's of the same size but they're bigger than what I want. I want to keep my total GVW below 5500 pounds - my Jeep can do 6300. Is your VW a 6 or 8 Cyl?

Cheers!
I wish mine was a V8 or diesel. It has a massive towing capacity (7700lbs) but the base V6 is way under powered for the mostly mountainous areas I tow. It gets poor milage too so no real advantage. I bet the Jeep V8 tows nice.
I wanted a NüCamp T@B 400 solo. They were relatively affordable before the prices skyrocketed but they weren’t popular so they didn’t make very many.
Yea, I’d bet there will be a lot of units on the market by fall if the gas prices stay high.

I'm familiar with the Tab 400, Very nice. Very IKEA inside. Saw a couple on RV Trader but in the 40K + range. Way too rich for something that size even with quality build material. I'd want a Boondock package for whatever I buy - especially w the extra clearance and stronger and heavier axle and suspension.

My Jeep has the optional tow package w the extra tranny cooler and pushbutton brake adjustment system. It does tow well and has plenty of torque, but the vehicle itself is too small to comfortably tow anything more than about 18ft and and of regular mirror width. Anything bigger and I'd need stabilizer bars for the trailer hitch. Especially in broadside high winds

I think the pricing is going to be best in newer used ones that people bought and found out that maybe roughing it in a tiny trailer wasnt for them.

Cheers!

Latest posts