SSI disability

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry

Reaction score
I'm on SSI disability but aren't sure what would likely happen if I became houseless. I have no idea where I could find a place (geographically) that I could afford if I sold this place. I live in a depressed area of Florida and this place ain't much to look at. So I'd probably be moving at least twice a year till I could find the right place for me. Anyway, what I'm looking for are people's experiences dealing with the SSI people when not living at a fixed address. If worse comes to worse, would turning 62 and changing over to Social Security would make any difference. I could hang out here for another couple of years if I need to.

I use a friend's address as my home address but my checks are direct deposit so nothing to do with SSI really goes to that address. Many people use a mail service as their home address and I believe that works fine too. I know that you've gone through some hard times recently. If you're doing okay living at your house and want to stay in Florida think hard before giving it up. Florida is not as friendly for van dweller as the west is because of the lack of good public land and the hot, humid weather. Good luck with your decisions. Karen

my mom never had a home visit from ssi. she had to go to them on occasion but not the reverse.

My mail is being temp forwarded from my PO Box to a friends house up North. She said I have something of importance and to give her a call tonight.

I am waiting on a 6 figure workmans comp settlement so I am really looking to get that check in my hands.

This April it will be aa year since my back injury and my lawyer will also file for SSD. I am 56 years old so they will have to pay me sooner or later.

Mr.LooRead said:
My mail is being temp forwarded from my PO Box to a friends house up North. She said I have something of importance and to give her a call tonight.

I am waiting on a 6 figure workmans comp settlement so I am really looking to get that check in my hands.

This April it will be aa year since my back injury and my lawyer will also file for SSD. I am 56 years old so they will have to pay me sooner or later.

I also have injuries from a few years ago that are coming back to haunt me. I sustained a compression fracture of the spine, fractured wrist and a shattered ankle. I'm your same age and maybe have the same problems with the back so I wonder if you could provide some tips on dealing with SSDI should I need to do that.....hoping I won't have to.

Get a lawyer for sure I can refer you to the best if you are in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

The lawyer only gets 25% of the first 5 month back award check ONLY. The rest is all yours month after month.

I have one blown disc at L5 and one ready to pop at L4.

I fractured L2 and I'm starting to feel pain that radiates across the bottom of my back. I had that same feeling when I broke it. But then again I sat up right after the fall to put my foot back into an anatomically correct position so my father-in-law wouldn't pass out from seeing the foot 180 degrees away from being in line. We were way out in the woods and I couldn't have him passing out on me. :)

Thanks for the info. Maybe it might be a good time to reach out to one of those lawyers.

DTFuqua,

Not sure if this helps. I've received mail from disability and suspect (don't know for sure) that the mail would not be forwarded by the post office. I've seen other government mail like this, so if it's returned to the disability office this may be a red flag.

Banking and address can of course be changed on the disability website. I brought the question up many, many months ago in these forms, which I think you're asking. Most seem to be using a mail forwarding service, then friends or family's address to get any mail.

My worry with a mail forwarded service is you have a 100 or so people on disability with the same address,,, would that not be suspect? But maybe I'm giving disability too much credit and they would still have to put two and two gather. And I've never seen anything in the rules that state you can't use a mail service.

Over the last year, the only mail I received from disability was when I changed banks for my direct deposit.

I agree with others, I lived in North Central Florida. I did this in a converted Dodge van and later in a small RV. It can be brutal, the weather, economy, and infrastructure never seems to be on your side. It was very hard to get out and took a long time.

A forum member who worked for The SSID dept. in a previous post said not to get a lawyer to start with because the process would slow down. I would agree. I filed mine myself online and the process was very easy. Did not even have to give medical records. Only gave doctors names and addresses and they got the records from the doctors.

I got my first check at the 6th month after I filed. Did not get back pay as they have a 5 month period from end of work date you do not get paid for.
A SEEKER

If you can have someone pick up mail from time to time then get a PO Box in a rural area where delivery doesn't exist.

I also had the same experience. I applied online without a lawyer. Following their instructions to the letter, four months from start to approval and the first check. You can, of course, always get an attorney if you are denied,,, but I never needed one.