Spray foam insulation kits?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't have much luck with the spray kits with the higher R value, about 7, or the single can great stuff with an R value of about 2.

If you can find a way to use rigid foam, ISO type ($20 = 4 X 8 X 1), with an R value of about 6.7, you can get a great result. I have an enclosed trailer 8 X 20 X 6.5 with 1 inch ISO from Home Depot on the walls, ceiling, and in the ramp. I run a Mr. Heater MH9BX ($85) on low (4,000 BTU) and when I wake up to outside temps of 35 degrees, it is 75 degrees in the trailer with a window cracked open even though they say the Mr. Heater can be run inside.

Yes the foam soaks water up and makes rust alot worse. Its why B series Dodge vans always rust away here (Passenger side windscreen pillar and front quarter):

iy0ozl.jpg

hsknz8.jpg

Those pics are of my '79 Dodge B200 4x4 that I am seriously thinking about junking because the rust is so bad. You should see whats left of the drip rails.. (again its that foam!) You'll want to get a tetanus shot just by looking at it.

I took me a while to find my '89 shorty. The first place I look at when shopping for a Dodge van is the areas above for rust. Its caused by the factory expanding foam Dodge used in all B series vans to control noise and vibration.

When I bought my '89 the first thing I did was strip out the interior paneling and do my best to remove the factory foam and after some cleaning and a can of rust treatment I poured marine grade expanding foam in the areas needed.

I am coming to the conclusion that I will probably avoid spray foam. Reasons:
1. Spurious or not, health concerns are real and they never really stop off-gassing.
2. People use it to fill voids but according to some manufacturers it never cures under such conditions.
3. Horror stories about uncontrolled expansion resulting in bulging body panels. Maybe that wouldn't happen to me, but maybe it would.
4. That you have to wear a safety suit and masks to apply it.
5. It's really permanent. If you screw up, you are screwed.
6. Sounds messy.
7. My wife has had cancer twice and is very cautious about environmental exposure to chemicals.
8. If carbon footprint and environmentalism is an issue, it seems odd to use a petroleum-based product to cut down on petroleum i.e. energy useage.
9. Reports of rust and metal degradation.

Given the above-stated concerns about foam insulation, especially spray foam, I am wondering whether there is a cellulose-based automotive insulation. Maybe something in pads, foil-backed? What I have stumbled across so far is polyester. My wife is even thinking leave the interior uninsulated - and I know there are those who prefer the raw walls - and hang wool blankets on the walls when used for camping. Simplicity.

Latest posts