Powerhouse inverter

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad you cleared that up. IMO, if you're not vandwelling, a $65 cheap generator from HB can be enough for emergency situations. I powered a full sized fridge (low end, little features) in my kitchen, 150W florescent bulb, 3spd table fan and recharged my new laptop &amp; cellphone repeatedly with it, 18-20 hours/day straight for about 10 days. I had 3 surge protectors on the line and only charged my laptop's batteries while it was off to lessen chances of frying it. It used less than 2 gallons of gas mixed with oil per day. It struggled with an 800w microwave at 60% power though. Maybe a real small microwave would have worked.&nbsp; It's as loud as a lawnmower so there's no stealth nor sanity with it for an extended time. Can't vandwell with it. <br><br>But if you want to spend the cash for an $800 Honda or Yamaha, that certainly is a good choice. I'd still spend $65 for this HB unit as a backup though. Hondas can fail and especially, get stolen. For my van setup, I'm looking for solar first and this HB generator for light use only. The only reason I can think of for needing a quiet generator running for a long period of time, daily, while vandwelling would be to power an A/C unit. Or maybe top off the house batteries for 1-2 hours when in a jam (ie. no sun for solar). If you're in the middle of nowhere, just get a 100 ft extension cord and chain this HB screamer to a tree 100 ft away.<br><br>

Thanks for that. But what is "HB"?&nbsp; Although I'm only currently&nbsp;using my van for weekend camping trips, there may come a day my van might be used for a lot more than that. I'm trying to anticipate future needs whereby "future" might mean next month, next year, or 3 to 5 years from now.&nbsp; I'd rather have something sooner than later if I can envision a product being useful.&nbsp;When it comes to power needs, my philosophy is more&nbsp;the better.&nbsp; I already have a large auxillary battery installed in my van, plus solar panels too. The only thing I don't have is a gas powered generator.&nbsp;&nbsp;I prefer to buy something that I believe will be better quality versus less&nbsp;so. $1,000 for a decent 2000 watt generator&nbsp;seems reasonable to me.&nbsp; Heck, I spent $4000 recently having a new auxillary battery/solar panel/inverter system installed in my van recently.&nbsp; So $1,000 seems almost cheap to me in comparison.

Damn, $4000 on a van's solar system? Next time, I bet you can ask around on here and hire some vandweller that's in the area to do it for much less and maybe better. The Honda or Yamaha is definitely the way to go. In a survival situation, you'd need something that's fuel efficient as fuel will get scarce real soon. <br><br>And if you're spending money on prepper stuff, another $65-100 on this HB generator as backup wouldn't hurt. I have 2 of them,&nbsp; one new in box for backp. Was like $65 w/a coupon.<br><br>http://www.harborfreight.com/63cc-900-watts-max800-watts-rated-portable-generator-60338-9057.html<br><br>You should also check out methods of rice storage using empty, 2 liter soda bottles. Fill it with rice, put it in the freezer for a month to kill all the potential bug eggs. Then take it out of the freezer, put oxygen absorbers packets in and store them. Supposedly, this can keep it edible for 25-30 years.

Yeah, $4k is a bit pricey, and probably half that amount was for labor, but the van conversion shop did an extremely first rate job. Everything about the battery installation is "tight", meaning it looks extremely professional. You can't even tell there's an auxillary battery in my van because they placed the battery underneath the van in a separate housing compartment, and then the van floor&nbsp;was fully covered up as to look like nothing ever happened. Plus the 2,000 watt inverter they installed to go with the Group 27 AGM battery was also installed first rate, along with a custom fit compartment up against the wall, complete with LCD voltage meters, and a separate panel to remove any burnt-out fuses.&nbsp; Plus several additional 12 volt adapters were also installed and connected to the auxillary battery, and the adapters were seamlessly added to the window-sill per my request. Seriously, I don't think any "average" person could have done such a professional job.&nbsp; I've seen too many pictures and YouTube videos of "do-it-yourself" battery jobs that have the battery taking up space inside the van interior, along with wires dangling. Looks like a fire hazard waiting to happen.&nbsp; But anyway, I digress, as this thread isn't about my auxillary battery.&nbsp; That Harbor Freight battery looks interesting...almost a disposable item, especially at that low price.&nbsp; Thanks for the rice storage method, never heard of that before.&nbsp; For now, the Minute Rice is simply left in its original boxes, and is enclosed inside a cooler to keep things cool and hopefully somewhat airtight.&nbsp; I'm thinking of also going to REI Sports to get a supply of their camping food that I can maybe use for an emergency situation.

I think it depends on people's funds and not all of the DIY'ers are good on YouTube. But there are some really topnotch handyman types on here, ie. the Blkjak guy. His rig is pretty darn pro looking. So yeah, if you throw some decent $$$ at such guys, and they'll do just as good a job I bet, or better. I really hate to say this, since it's done and paid for... and I'm not trying to be a dick, but I think they took advantage of you.&nbsp; It's not that amazing to weld a battery box under a van. Just FYI for the future.<br><br>For camping food, you should check Moutain House out. They are very tasty for what they are. The same site has some cheaper stuff made by Wise, but I heard they're horrible to almost disgusting in taste (and only a little cheaper). They have the MH in cans and single serving packets. I have the cans in storage and it would go well with the stored rice.<br><br>http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/FOOD-755<br><br>

No worries. Thanks for the&nbsp;tip about Mountain House. I'll have to check it out, I want to keep at least a couple week's stash of emergency food in the van at all times.