SPRAY FOAM INSULATION: Why I won't use it

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
while I can agree with most of your statements about wool. it does hold moisture. simple experiment. take a wool anything, weigh it, put it in water for however long pull it out and weigh it again. the gain in weight is water. it holds moisture. however it dries fast and even provides insulation while wet. don't get me wrong I love wool and wear it often, all my socks are wool. imo the best material for socks. but to use it for insulation you must provide more than adequate ventilation. I hung wool blankets in my tent for insulation and even with one side exposed inside the tent we would have to take the blankets down and hang them in the sun to dry out every few days. I don't think it would be the best choice it a van, unless you could take it out every few days to air out. highdesertranger

I’d offer some free advice and we all know that free advice is worth what you paid for. 

This refers to locations where it gets below freezing and the interior space is heated.

In stick and brick construction, the vapor barrier always goes on the living space (warm) side of the wall.  In the case of a van, the metal skin is a vapor barrier and it is on the outer (cold) side.  

With adequate closed cell foam insulation, the high humidity of the van interior cannot penetrate the insulation.  With any vapor permeable insulation: fiberglass, wool, cellulose… the humidity will move from the warm moist side to the cold dry side and condense within the insulation. 

I have read on this forum that people have reported condensation dripping off metal walls and ceilings.  With a vapor permeable insulation, the inside edge is at or near room temperature (say 70 degrees).  The outside edge is at or near the outside temperature (below freezing).  At some point within the insulation the temperature will be at a level that moisture will condense.  If this were to happen occasionally and there was time for the insulation to dry, you could probably get away with it.  If you are staying where it is below freezing for a long period of time and living, heating and cooking in the van, the moisture will stay in the insulation.

This is what I gathered form my reading of several site on insulation and vapor barriers.  If you can point me to anything that contradicts this please do so.  I am always willing to learn.

I well remember the smell of wet wool from Army days. Give me poly-fill from recycled milk jugs.

That is why a roof vent (Fantastic Fan) is such a good idea. Keep the windows and vent cracked.

GotSmart said:
That is why a roof vent (Fantastic Fan) is such a good idea. Keep the windows and vent cracked.

I am interested in a vent.  Having trouble finding anybody who will install it.  Local RV supply shop sells them but doesn't install them.  I may have to do it myself.

Recon interior.JPGI am still considering wool insulation but will have to talk with contractors about specifics such as vapor barriers.   Yesterday I woke up thinking I would do spray foam and went to bed leaning towards wool.   I am in the info-gathering phase and was thinking out loud and looking for feed back in my post; I am sorry if somebody thought I was trying to write an authoritative debunkment of foam.   I am still not sure the issue of off-gassing is as settled as some say, especially on hot days.   There are varying opinions out there.

Two days ago I was pretty sure I would use Reflectix.  Now that seems to me to be a poor choice.   Do some of you insulate the entire walls and ceilings, furring them out and covering all metal?  Since my NV200 is small to begin with, I am reluctant to give up the interior space.  It also poses a challenge - not insurmountable - about how to finish edges and around doors and windows.

Here is a picture of an NV200 undergoing conversion.  Can somebody identify the insulation, please?  I know it is not Reflectix.  Thanks.

Attachments

• Recon interior.JPG
    Recon interior.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 16
it's really hard to say as there are several types of insulation that uses a foil layer. highdesertranger

It looks like the foil backed denim. 

I am currently redoing my conversion van with Polyso.  Using a foil tape om the joints, it is easy.

GotSmart said:
It looks like the foil backed denim. 

I am currently redoing my conversion van with Polyso.  Using a foil tape om the joints, it is easy.

What exactly is polyso and why did you choose it?

glworden said:
What exactly is polyso and why did you choose it?
It's spelled polyiso, which is short for polyisocyanurate. Chemically it is VERY similar to spray foam, which is a polyurethane.

The chemical reaction (curing) of polyiso foam takes place at significantly higher temperatures than with polyurethane foam, so polyiso foam is manufactured under controlled conditions whereas polyurethane foam is used in the field. 

Thermal (insulation) performance is almost identical, although polyiso boards have the disadvantages of 1) not being bonded to the substrate (the body of the van,  your case) so they don't fully protect the metal from condensation, and 2) not being as effective in sound and vibration reduction because, again, it is not bonded to the body of the vehicle.

I believe styrofoam is the ideal insulation in a van and polyiso is by far the best of them all at R-7. It won't absorb moisture and is very tough.

I don't understand why anybody considers anything else.
Bob

akrvbob said:
I believe styrofoam is the ideal insulation in a van and polyiso is by far the best of them all at R-7. It won't absorb moisture and is very tough.

Careful there. Styrofoam is polystyrene foam. When used as insulation, it is substantially inferior to polyiso foams and polyurethane foams.

I am skeptical of the safety claims for any artificial materials. Too many times over the years government and industry scientists have made repeated claims that substances were safe that turned out not to be safe. I am of the "better safe than sorry" school. I acknowledge that natural products aren't always the best answer. Natural insulation that fosters the growth of mold may create a worse health danger. But some natural materials may inherently inhibit mold. I am hoping that there is a practical, natural answer to this insulation issue

The nice thing about foil backed anything is that foil tape sticks to it well. I have found that the foil tape from Homer Depot with the red logos all over it (cannot remember name, sorry) didn't stick after a year in hot climates. The plain stuff seems to be better.

myway_1 said:
I am skeptical of the safety claims for any artificial materials. Too many times over the years government and industry scientists have made repeated claims that substances were safe that turned out not to be safe. I am of the "better safe than sorry" school. I acknowledge that natural products aren't always the best answer. Natural insulation that fosters the growth of mold may create a worse health danger. But some natural materials may inherently inhibit mold. I am hoping that there is a practical, natural answer to this insulation issue
I hear ya. I'm about as distrustful of government and industry (which are, all too often, indistinguishable) as anyone you'll ever meet. I applaud skepticism, and wish there were more people like you.

However, skeptics must be equally cautious to not discount fundamental science - I'm not talking faked studies, but the actual nature of the materials in question. The truth about spray foam chemistry is so simple that many people can't accept it: when a chemical reaction of this nature stops, the production of gasses stops with it. That's not opinion or hype - it's just the nature of this kind of reaction.

No reaction, no gasses.

Period. 

The fumes produced as the foam is sprayed are another thing. They're highly neurotoxic, and repeated exposure will sensitize you to the point where you can't work around it.

And yes, I am, loosely, in the spray foam business. I actually sell and provide technical support for the equipment that sprays it, and assist in the testing and formulation of polyurea coating materials (sprayed with the same equipment) for commercial and industrial applications.

I'm not defending closed cell spray foam because I'm in the business, though. I first researched insulation for a couple of my own projects years ago, and ended up specifying spray foam for both. 

One was my own house, and a longtime girlfriend who came into my life shortly after I built that place was VERY chemically sensitive. I didn't tell her anything up front because I had full confidence and didn't want to introduce a placebo reaction.  She was astonished to later learn that she'd been hangin in a foam insulated house for a few years with no adverse reaction at all. 

I was in a VERY different business back then, and have been in a couple more unrelated businesses since. My involvement in the industry is actually quite recent, but my original research has never been contradicted by supportable evidence. (Rumors, fears and hearsay don't count.)

I'm here because these materials work, and they solve a lot of problems. That spells opportunity!

Interestingly, when I got into the business I discovered that I am extremely sensitive to the fumes generated during spraying. Yet, the morning after a job is completed, I can walk through the building wearing no mask and inspect the work. That gives you pretty good insight into how quickly and completely the off-gassing stops!

If you look into this a bit further, you'll find that people with severe respiratory problems are (when they can afford it) building custom homes insulated with 2 lb. closed cell spray foam. They do so because among other things closed cell spray foam provides a complete air barrier. This prevents air infiltration, allowing the HEPA filters these folks use to really scrub the inside air.

I've worked with a number of those families, because a lot of them live here. National Jewish Hospital here in Denver is world renowned for its research and treatment of respiratory and immune disorders and allergies.

And lemme tell ya, any one of those people would laugh themselves silly at the fears expressed here.

My ONLY caveats would be to use spray foam components made in America, and have someone with clue apply it for you. Such people are easy to find - just look for clean equipment.

The problem comes in with people grabbing a can of (open cell) Great Stuff and blasting it.  

You will agree that is a completely different animal.

"And lemme tell ya, any one of those people would laugh themselves silly at the fears expressed here."

Really? Without that comment maybe the rest could be taken with a grain of salt, but that was out of bounds. There are many kinds of respiratory health issues. Science has not caught up with all of them and there are varying levels of sensitivities and many different allergies. A blanket statement from a stranger on the internet, even if that person were a doctor, could cause someone to use something that could be harmful. It happens way too often.

It doesn't really matter whether your girlfriend reacted or not---it doesn't mean that there isn't someone else who would react. You don't know other people's specific conditions or allergies to be stating that something would be safe for them or not. It doesn't matter that there's a hospital renowned for dealing with those issues near you---saying something like that could be misleading to someone who hasn't already been dealing with his/her own respiratory or chemical issues long enough to sort the wheat from the chaff.

This isn't a health forum so I'm not going to get involved in any lengthy discussion of medical studies and research. While that's a great piece of salesmanship---Caveat emptor. Some may benefit, but others may be put at risk---especially those in tiny spaces that can't afford to maintain HEPA filters.

People with chemical issues deal with enough without the denial of their experiences by those who haven't had similar experiences. For those who are more sensitive there are ways to do your own tests to see whether or not something will cause a reaction for you or not---before investing a lot of money in it. So far most people have done well with the polyiso (sp) that gets recommended the most on here---whether it would work for everyone I can't say.

I am the OP and I really appreciate the replies here.  Some of the first few were bizarrely harsh, but there has been a lot of good info and I appreciate the contributions.

I understand the advantages of AB spray foam.  It seems like a good choice.  I might choose that if I were single.  However, I am in a collaborative relationship and would probably never get my wife to go along with it.  

The polyiso sounds good too and worth consideration.  What are some brand names?

Take spray can foam, reflectix and styrofoam boards off the table.

I am still researching wool.  That is what my wife wants and I need to understand the application and the humidity regulation properties.

Glworden, good luck with your research and your journey. I don't remember/know if you've mentioned what climate you'll be living in---that will have a bearing on whether wool would be viable. I haven't researched it because I'm one of the lucky ones that reacts to lanolin even though it's supposed to be hypoallergenic. If I didn't have money/health considerations I would love to be able to have someone apply a proper spray foam for me. I think it's great that you are looking for a viable solution that works for both yourself and your wife. Let us know how it goes if you end up using wool as I'm sure others might find the information useful. :)