solar help in Ehrenberg?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanKitten

Reaction score
I have had the impression that my solar panels are barely doing any charging at all.

I have had no evidence to support that.

I bought a clamp meter that will measure amps in DC 
I spent some time in the phone with tech service from Victron
He felt that my solar panels probably are not wired correctly.    That is hard to figure...first, because it is so simple but also because I had professionals go up there to do it (I do not "do" heights)

Is there a place in ehrenberg where I can take this rig and get this all sorted out?   I know a lot of places do not want to touch an installation they didn't do......but, I am really going to be on the road tomorrow to get south and so I will not be sticking around here to get back with those solar people when they return from holiday next month.

I would like to know the same answer. Mine is not installed, will be set out in sun. Also have a new in 2000 generac inverter/generator. I’ve read and studied however can’t figure anything out. I plan on getting 2 golf cart batteries to start with. The solar panel is 180 Watts. I’ve apparently (according to sleep study and mri) had a stroke at some time in my past and have complex apnea and am supposed to be on bi-pap. Anxiously awaiting answers to VanKitten’s question too. ?

VanKitten said:
I have had the impression that my solar panels are barely doing any charging at all.
Is there a place in ehrenberg where I can take this rig and get this all sorted out?

Could be that someone like Jim or another knowledgeable person could eyeball at it during the RTR and see if it looks normal.  But your Your setup is rather complex and it might take a gathering of minds.  I'd use a sixpack as bait.  :p

Minormanic said:
I would like to know the same answer.  Mine is not installed, will be set out in sun.

I think this means yours is portable, right?  

Also have a new in 2000 generac inverter/generator.
I plan on getting 2 golf cart batteries to start with.  The solar panel is 180 Watts.

Sounds like a good plan.  For efficiency purposes a short generator run in the morning would get the batteries to 80% and the solar could handle the rest.

I’ve read and studied however can’t figure anything out.

I've started a gentle intro to solar that may be helpful.  

have complex apnea and am supposed to be on bi-pap.

Lots of folks running breathing apparatus here on the forum.  I don't know the different kinds but it is workable!