SanTan Solar used panels specs

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 37446

Reaction score
OK so my "battery in a box", otherwise incorrectly known as a solar generator, says that the dc voltage input range is 12-30V.

I see these used Canadian branded 265 watt panels ($73 each) specs say the optimum operating voltage is 30.8 volts. In other places the used panels are said to be outputting appx 80% of ratings.
So, do you think it's safe to use the "optimum" voltage of 30.8 into a max 30v Lifepo battery box? I'm thinking 80% of the "optimum", (or even if it's still 100%) when flat mounted on the roof of a van would squeak by.

I've asked the seller but haven't heard back.

1688160521433.png

the actual voltage of the panel is 37.7 volts. That might be too much for your battery pack. It probably needs one of the smaller 21 volt panels (120 watt or similar) .
The suntan panels when used at maximun sun will be operating at over 30 volts.
The battery pack probably has a built in mppt controller that is restricted to the max panel it can use.

Here is a picture of a 240 watt (36 volt) panel during normal operation.
xt60 connector large a.jpg

Yes, sorry to say I believe you are correct. They are such a good price though!
Oh well.
Thanks for the reply!
Glad that your setup is working for you.

OK so my "battery in a box", otherwise incorrectly known as a solar generator, says that the dc voltage input range is 12-30V.

Need to know the specs of your controller; probably it won't function properly if the input is >30V. The panel manufacturer is the wrong person to ask.

Need to know the specs of your controller; probably it won't function properly if the input is >30V. The panel manufacturer is the wrong person to ask.
I had asked the battery box maker, but their pdf manual is pretty specific... <30 volts.
I probably shouldn't burn up an $800 item just to save some $ on a panel. Oh well.

Thats another flaw with some of these more budget boxes. I didn't even know that was a limitation. They do say that they have overcurrent protection though...
Sigh, just don't know!