Mix and match solar panels?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa B

Reaction score
I bought a 716 WH solar generator and a single 100w panel from Amazon and BougeRV last fall. This summer I decided to purchase the second panel to speed charging during less than optimal conditions.
I just found out that the 100w panel is no longer available from Amazon or BougeRV.
Can I add any make of 100w panel?
Here is the specs from my panel.

Peak power 100 watt plus or minus 5%.
Working voltage 17.6v.
Working current 5.68v.
Parallel max output 200w.

I considering the purchase of this panel https://vtoman.com/products/vtoman-100w-po

Will this panel work for me or Can I use any 100 watt panel? There are less expensive options.
Mostly I don't want to damage my solar generater. Any tips or advice on selecting a new panel?

A 716 WH sounds like my Bluetti EB70S... I just use any 12-volt panels I want with mine and they work fine.

Last edited:
The link to vtoman did not work for me so I can't see what you are looking at.

If both of the 100 W panels have roughly similar ratings, (they usually do) then you can run them in parallel or series.

Brand does not matter much, but you should not mix polycrystalline and monocrystalline panels, because they usually have slightly different characteristics in shady conditions.

Also, double, triple, and quadruple check to make sure that your connectors all match up properly when it comes to polarity, because believe it or not, different brands of panels can have different style and different polarity connectors.

Even if they look the same (MC4 or SAE or any others) they might have opposite polarity since there is no universally accepted 'standard'.

Even the round 'coaxial' connectors come in several sizes and some even have 3 circuits instead of just 2.

So just be aware of this when you go shopping, and dont assume any portable panel with a similar connector will be plug-n-play.

Last edited:
Wanted to stop in and let everyone know how things worked out.
I bought the VTOMAN panel from Amazon. Every thing was plug and play for me. The panel seems to have a better quality look and feel to it. Better by far than the original Bougerv panel.
First time I used the new panel I connected the bouge panel to the power station first and it started charging at a normal 50 watts on a hazy day. It found the correct adapter for the new panel and connected it into the Bouge panel. it was immediately started charging at 140 watts, the cooling fan came on on the power station for the first time and all is well. Considering the power station was nearly full any way I didn't mind that it dropped in a few minutes down to 100 watts. So far I'm very happy. The new panel was on sale already and there was a coupon for another $30 off. After all discounts I paid 169.99. I don't think I could have maid a better choice. I only wish I would have bought a single 160-200 watt panel to begin with. Now I will be carrying two panels.

Wanted to stop in and let everyone know how things worked out.
I bought the VTOMAN panel from Amazon. Every thing was plug and play for me. The panel seems to have a better quality look and feel to it.
<-------->
Love it when a plan comes together. Thanks for the heads up.

I bought a 716 WH solar generator and a single 100w panel from Amazon and BougeRV last fall. This summer I decided to purchase the second panel to speed charging during less than optimal conditions.
I just found out that the 100w panel is no longer available from Amazon or BougeRV.
Can I add any make of 100w panel?
Here is the specs from my panel.

Peak power 100 watt plus or minus 5%.
Working voltage 17.6v.
Working current 5.68v.
Parallel max output 200w.

I considering the purchase of this panel https://vtoman.com/products/vtoman-100w-po

Will this panel work for me or Can I use any 100 watt panel? There are less expensive options.
Mostly I don't want to damage my solar generater. Any tips or advice on selecting a new panel?

Hey there, Continuous Resources here.

To answer your question directly - technically another 100W panel will get the job done. What you are looking for is matching electrical parameters.

The idea is that your system is only as good as it's weakest link. If you are trying to make your system be compatible, its best to get like items.

CR