Large 365 watt solar panel performance

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonyjoe303

Reaction score
I recently upgraded my astrovans solar system, I replaced the sharp 240 watt panel with a LG 365 watt panel. With the 240 watt panel in winter (southern california) I was getting a max of about 9 amps charging a 4s lifepo4, and 10 amps charging a 3s li-ion battery pack. With the new 365 watt panel I'm getting 12 amps on the lifepo4 and 15 amps on the li-ion battery. Very good results for winter when the sun is lower on the horizon.

With the 240 watt panel the 220ah lifepo4 and 312ah li-ion batterybanks were at about 40 percent or less for the past 2 months, both got as low as 0 percent, they weren't charging very fast. With this new 365 panel after 1 week of use, I already have the lifepo4 at 100 percent and the li-ion is at 80 percent. On a good clear winter day I can harvest up to 75ah. Performance has been excellent.

The panel is mounted flat on the roof, and I'm using a makeskyblue 60a mppt controller (130 dollars), I paid 250 for the panel which was good deal on a practically new panel. It was about the same width as my old panel and fitted with minor modifications, Its about 1 foot longer. I have only had it for 1 week but am very happy with the increase in performance, I'm getting the amps in winter that my 240 watt panel use to produce in summer.

I almost bought a generator (300 dollars) to charge my batteries but I'm glad I just got a bigger panel.

1 240 365 panels.jpg

Attachments

• 1 240 365 panels.jpg
    1 240 365 panels.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 8
Do I understand correctly that you're running two different batteries with a total of 532Ah? If so, I thought panel wattage should be about equal to Amp hours. Or is it different with lithium batteries?

I charge both battery banks seperately. With the 3s li-ion being lower voltage (max 12.6 volts) I get more amps then the 14.6 volt lifepo4. But the panel puts out the same wattage for both battery banks, about 170 watts. I prefer using amps instead of watts its easier for me to add and subtract the battery status.
It was raining this morning and I didn't think I was going to get much sun but it cleared up and the panel harvested another 70ah, yesterday was an overcast day but I was still able to harvest 34ah.
I just have to paint the metal parts of the the panel black to more closely match the van color.

1 new panel.jpg

Attachments

• 1 new panel.jpg
    1 new panel.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 24
Sun is finally overhead. I actually ran the 365 watt panel on my 20a ecoworthy mppt most of the winter to see if it can handle it, even as the sun was getting more stronger it still worked and maxed out at 23amps.
I finally decided to use my 60amp makeskyblue mppt and performance has been excellent. I seen output as high as 26 amps. And the makeskyblue shows the panel producing 375 watts on occasion.

summer performance
1 365 performance.jpg

painted the solar panel
1 roof panel 365a.jpg

Attachments

• 1 365 performance.jpg
    1 365 performance.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 1 roof panel 365a.jpg
    1 roof panel 365a.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 13
I hinged mine off the back and use extendable poles when parked to tilt or make an awning. Travels bolted down down vertical and still does a fair job of charging.

Just one large panel? Drill your own holes and bolt it right to the roof rack. Maybe get some aluminum angle iron and span the gap between roof racks? I'm assuming it's the original stock cross bar type roof rack that came on the Yukon. I used nutserts on my panels to run the bolts into to secure them. I like Bullfrog's idea about folding another panel off the back like that.

51081477641_37d0363a4f_c.jpg

51080798798_0e9ea01306_c.jpg

I have 4 roof vents, 3 that I dont really use.. The one I use is in the center, I removed the vent cover and just install the panel over it. Its been 7 years without a vent cover and the solar panel prevents rain from getting inside the van. I had to use 4 inch "L" brackets (4 of them) so it could clear all the vents.
On the inside of van I just cover the vent opening during winter with foam insulation.

Picture of roof vent under the solar panel.
1 roof vents 365b.jpeg

Attachments

• 1 roof vents 365b.jpeg
    1 roof vents 365b.jpeg
    42.3 KB · Views: 10
Lets see if I could build a rack 18" above the roof of wife's 25 foot travel trailer how many used 250 watt $50 panels would it take to prevent it from ever leaking?