Social security

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to sleep early and waking up early caused me to look at news on my phone. Two articles caught my attention.
1.The US GDP is growing faster than the rest of the world US economy grows 5.2% in third quarter; higher interest rates eroding momentum (The link is not to the actual article I read on my phone but has similar information.)
2. An interview by the Financial Times with Claudia Sahm in which she says
The other piece is getting into the weeds of what the federal debt is: social security and Medicare. If you do not do something to pull in those expenses, you’re done. That’s a very difficult, delicate conversation. The stakes are higher to spend money well. The stakes are very high to make those entitlement programs cost-effective and well-designed. You can almost cut the whole rest of the budget and you still would have questions about debt sustainability and higher interest rates. I don’t know that Olivier would disagree with me that entitlement programmes need to be addressed. But as macroeconomists, we’re not setting up a framework that really pushes policymakers to think in those terms. We just say, “It’s too big!” (Additional comments about Sahm on MarketWatch)

One thing that people seem to forget is that since Reagan (1981) or perhaps earlier (Kennedy??), the US economy has been tilted in favor of the rich, in terms of income tax rates, inheritance taxes, tax avoidance (Roth accounts became available in 1998), court rulings, etc. This structural bias has caused the top 10% (and especially top 1%) to gain significant wealth and the bottom 90% to lose wealth in relative terms and probably in real (inflation adjusted) terms. One example is (the affordability of) housing. This Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis article The State of U.S. Wealth Inequality is interesting.

One structural element (slightly) opposing this trend are federal retirement benefits (social security, medicare, etc.). Item 1. above suggests that the US can afford to fund these benefits at their current levels. Item 2. above suggests that "the system" (economists, the Fed, Congress, etc.) does not understand that income adjustments (e.g. FICA taxes on all earned income without caps and on untaxed Roth distributions) and the growth of the economy can safely pay for these benefit programs AND that "the system" does not understand how devastating to the economy would be the elimination or reduction of these programs (not to mention devastating to the seniors involved).

That’s a really great suggestion, and there are often scholarships and other funding sources available for at risk youth.

The truth is, there are more at risk youth and young people out there than could be accurately counted.

If you are one who has persevered and succeeded in the face of adversity, maybe find a way in your community to spend a little time, say a few words that might inspire and encourage others.

And if you are one who is struggling, know that others have made it thru and out the other end.

Most of us are held together with super glue and safety pins, is the truth, and it can be immensely helpful for others to know one can go on and do well in spite of their scars and struggles.

You never know when your small acts of kindness might change the course of another’s life.

I think post number 201 sums it up well, good job SLB SA. Now do you think people that are doing really well financially after having the system manipulated to make them more money will be willing to give some back to make our country a better place for everyone including themselves? Seems the majority thinks they should in my opinion and feels that Social Security and Medicare need not only to continue but be improved at least til everyone in their old age will be able to afford basic needs and not be forced into the streets or die of neglect shortly after entering a substandard nursing home.

Age is one of many, many reasons that not everybody has access to the same opportunities. It's simply a fiction to say that everyone has an opportunity (let alone an equal opportunity) to better themselves. What we know about each other is minuscule compared to what we don't know. A healthy dose of respect for what we /don't/ know is essential.
No matter how we spend our tax money, some of it will be wasted. I (and I'm guessing most of us) have been living with the results of "affirmative action for privileged idiots" for a long time. We just don't tend to notice that type of waste as much, because we're so used to "them that has, gits." The goal should be to waste as little as possible, and make sure as many people as possible get a decent chance to better themselves ... regardless of what someone else who looked like them, or had a similar problem, did with their chance ... not to prevent waste altogether (which = impossible).
We all have war stories about /someone/ we've seen abusing the system. I think we should be careful how much we generalize from them. It's awfully hard to know what the real "big picture" is.

Last edited:
PS But I would say that anybody who /does/ see a chance, at either a good job or a training program, should grab it NOW, before the labor shortage completely winds down. You'll be better off to already be "in on the ground floor" when the pendulum swings again. (Cynically I imagine that, for us olds at least, in the unskilled jobs, it'll be easy to let us go when the current trend changes. But anything where you can get yourself a little ways up the ladder with something essential to contribute, you might be able to hang onto it.) Like they say, the best time was five years ago, the second-best time is now ;)

Age is one of many, many reasons that not everybody has access to the same opportunities. It's simply a fiction to say that everyone has an opportunity (let alone an equal opportunity) to better themselves.
Everyone knows from their youth that eventually they will age and become old. They also know that as you age it becomes more difficult to do physical work. And most folks were taught the fable of the ant and the grasshopper when they were little, so they know that if they don’t prepare for the future that they will go hungry when things are more difficult.

While I have empathy for older folks of little means, I also ask “Why are you not prepared?”.

Last edited:
And that statement says so much. 😕
Maybe. But unless we know why folks are not prepared for their later years, then we as a society are doomed to see it constantly repeated. And if we understand why, then we as a society can do what is necessary to circumvent it.

Last edited:
While I have empathy for older folks of little means, I also ask “Why are you not prepared?”.
Life happens! And the best laid plans...etc.
When looking for solutions I always ask, what are the alternatives? Not what were they in the past, but what are they now?

Yes, we can say "they should have planned better." Maybe we should also say "bad stuff should not have happened to them" or "the system should not have been rigged." But none of that helps NOW. The US government promised us Social Security benefits and took our money whether we agreed or not. Now we have many people that absolutely depend on it. If anyone wants to change the rules now, it should only apply to people still young enough to have time to respond to those changes.

I am not a millionaire and unless I hit the lottery, never will be. Nor do I think it has anything to do with a discussion on changing social security benefits for those already collecting it.

Will you hire me as a 74 year old electrician (after my four year apprenticeship beginning in 2024)? ;)
lol!!! I just finished up a seasonal job at 72 years old! They have an opening for next season now I’m done and I will gladly recommend you! Actually two openings as my buddy that worked with me had to leave early to go to his yearly campground host job. He is 75 years old! lol!!! Don’t underestimate today’s job market needs in remote locations!

Thank you, RonDean, and I’ll add that the last thing that “older folks of little means” need to hear is judgment via “Why are you not prepared?”

Seriously, does that have any place here, where so many are struggling to keep their heads above water?
It’s not a judgement. It’s trying to understand where we are failing. Don’t we want improvement for the future? For instance, I was told many times while growing up that SS would only prevent the bare minimum in your retirement years - maybe enough for meals of rice and beans. So why do so many folks think that it would provide a comfortable income in retirement. Where did the message get so screwed up?

And the argument of “I paid into SS so the government owes me …”. I just reviewed my SS account and I‘ve already received 2 times the dollars that I put into the SS fund after 6 years of receiving SS benefits. Considering inflation I guess that puts me at the break-even point. I suspect that’s true for just about all folks who have collected SS benefits for 6 years.

Maybe I was fortunate in that I had parents and grandparents who encouraged me to develop personal responsibility and were honest in insisting that it was totally up to me to be the best I could be. And maybe early on I realized that pensions were an unreliable retirement plan as so many businesses failed and took their pension fund with them. Don’t know, but somehow the message that it was up to me to be the best I could be sunk in.

So either we wallow in self-pity about how others are the reason that we have difficult times now that we’re aged, or we try to understand where things failed and we’re now in a rough position.

So either we wallow in self-pity about how others are the reason that we have difficult times now that we’re aged, or we try to understand where things failed and we’re now in a rough position.
Your approach (here) to someone already old, already without adequate means, does nothing to help them survive now.

Do you realize that?

That you seem to feel this is appropriate and somehow helpful is mind boggling.

Start at the other end if you want to bring about change, mpruet

<snip>

To WanderingRose, RonDean, and others... To point out that the sentiment above is not helpful is, while very true, not at all the point for folks who hew to a certain narrative. The "Horatio Alger story," "Pull yourself up by your own bootstraps" version.

I happen to find such narratives quite lacking in explaining systematic poverty, the Gilded Age level of wealth inequality we have today, etc... There's more going on with that than simply telling people to "just work harder." But most importantly for me is to simply help people who need help. That's what HoWA does, that's what we do at my church with the food bank we run for an impoverished neighborhood close to our parish. It comes from a deeply held belief that people have value above and beyond their ability to accumulate material wealth.

When you have barely enough your view point is different than when you are lacking. Big difference between having a few dollars left after all basic needs are met and no money when needs arise. Health care costs which includes the means to get to medical services, food, shelter and nowadays communication services can all exceed what a person working a minimum wage job while receiving Social Security in many cases, especially as we age and have more medical expenses and limitations. That is the situation for many people. As costs are rising mainly due to price gouging monopolies and economic manipulation in my opinion by the wealthy there are and will be more people with difficulty trying to have enough for rice and beans. CheapRVLiving is just one way many of those have used to cut living costs so they can survive on what they are able to earn plus social security. It works for many even those that are trying to save for the future but it is getting more difficult as the powerful become even more powerful it seems.

Your approach (here) to someone already old, already without adequate means, does nothing to help them survive now.

Do you realize that?

That you seem to feel this is appropriate and somehow helpful is mind boggling.

Start at the other end if you want to bring about change, mpruet
Maybe, but understanding the reasons help break the cycle.

But most importantly for me is to simply help people who need help. That's what HoWA does, that's what we do at my church with the food bank we run for an impoverished neighborhood close to our parish. It comes from a deeply held belief that people have value above and beyond their ability to accumulate material wealth.
As do I. Each month I give a lot of money for food and housing of folks in need. But I also hold as truth that if i give a man a fish he eats for a day, but if I teach him how to fish then he has food for a lifetime. I’d much rather see folks comfortably living on their own rather that being dependent on a handout.

Last edited:
If companies and corporations hadn’t done away with pensions and cheap health care insuring they provided the quality of life they should have for their employees and the government had done a better job of insuring working people that didn’t work for those were able to use Social Security and Medicare at levels that insured basic needs then we wouldn’t be in this situation in my opinion. Instead profit only and cut and run businesses became powerful politically enough to buy and influence the system more so to their advantage slowly destroying the middle class and now continuing to push more into poverty with higher prices and lower benefits to further increase their power and wealth.