Social security

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would like to hear this as well as i just read that GOP plan to cut $1.5 trillion from the budget and raise age of retirement to 69! Seemingly all so they can cut taxes on the wealthy again :(
A higher percentage of "Older People" usually votes in elections. If you want your voice to be heard, you should vote. No matter who you support, the fact that you voted gives "your demographic group" greater political weight.

Seems hard to believe there are enough wealthy to elect people that wish to get rid of or reduce Social Security with all the additional problems, pain and suffering doing so would cause.
Democracy is fragile. It only takes good people doing nothing (i.e. not voting) for people with bad/selfish intentions to get their way. After that, it's Hell getting it turned around again.

At the risk of being smacked by the Moderators, remember that in the early 1930s Germany was a Republic with democratic processes in place. Then there was that one election...

Agreed, dhuff.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing”…Edmund Burke/John Stuart Mill

We need to vote, we need to be aware of what is being proposed and take appropriate action so that our voices are heard and substantive changes not made without us, that affect us.

I think this nine minute video Social Security Eligibility Age Increase Proposal to 69 is worth a listen. I think both Republicans and Democrats deserve blame for kicking the can down the road on the sustainability of social security benefits according to the current rules (i.e. no future cuts). This video seems balanced and nonpartisan to me, criticizing both sides. The host (ClearValue Tax) does not think any changes to the social security laws will occur now and probably not before 2028. (I like his phrase "The rich have their tricks" (to avoid taxes).)

And when choosing who to vote for, in the belief that they will represent your interests, look carefully at the /specifics/ of what they say they'll do -- and the /track record/ of what they have done in the past. When they say they're on your side, make sure it's more than loud, vague noise.

I think this nine minute video Social Security Eligibility Age Increase Proposal to 69 is worth a listen. I think both Republicans and Democrats deserve blame for kicking the can down the road on the sustainability of social security benefits according to the current rules (i.e. no future cuts). This video seems balanced and nonpartisan to me, criticizing both sides. The host (ClearValue Tax) does not think any changes to the social security laws will occur now and probably not before 2028. (I like his phrase "The rich have their tricks" (to avoid taxes).)
The rich were spoonfed which tricks they could use.