so how much do you pay

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pearlofmylife

Reaction score
a month for gas?&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>i just read that thread about $11,000 a year rv-ing and someone mentioned that $300 a month means he's not driving much... but i was thinking $300 should be just right for me. now i'm worried!</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>

I drove from (hauling my trailer) San Antonio, TX to City of Rocks (600 miles), NM last October and spent around $250 each way. From what I've read most full timers do small hops over a longer travel time to their destinations. This spreads out and reduces your cost for gas.&nbsp;<div><br></div>

I think many people drastically underestimate their fuel costs. &nbsp;If you plan to stay in one place like Quartzite for a few months at a time, then you won't spend much on fuel but if you drive a lot then $300.00 is probably a low estimate? &nbsp;If you know your vehicles mileage and how many miles you plan to travel in a specific timeframe then you can figure out your fuel cost pretty easily. &nbsp;I am going to go from Kentucky to San Diego in the next month and have a good idea how much I will spend on fuel. &nbsp;FuelBuddy is a great site to give you costs per gallon is various locations.&nbsp;

Microsoft streets and trips is also a good way to calculate fuel use. You can input you MPG, the average&nbsp;price of fuel and your prefered type of roads. Then you make a route and it will give you the miles and the fuel costs for the whole trip. <BR><BR>Fuel use is completely subjective. I've used as little as $70 a month and as much as $300. $300 is quite a bit of driving in a van. That's about 1200 miles for me.<BR>

It depends on if you are going to be living and working in a city, or are you hitting the road to travel. If you are going to be traveling, fuel costs can be high. In my experience, and a lot of the people I know, your first year on the road you tend to drive a lot and see the many places you have been longing to see. After that you tend to slow down and stay in places longer, burning less fuel. Thats what happened to me. Bob<br>

When we were traveling around the country on a sort of schedule(basically trying to get done with the cold states before winter), we spent way more than $300 a month on fuel. When we travel as we like which is a much slower pace, learning about an area, exploring it on bicycle etc, we can do the $300 without much trouble. When we stay in an area for a long time like we are now, we can pretty much go all month on one tank of fuel or less. (around $75 since we never let it go below 1/4).&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>Be smart and plan fuel stops using gas info sites and it will also increase your efficiency in spending. Keep good records too it will help you figure out if you are accomplishing your goals.</div>

Like the others said, this is totally up to how much you drive. As you may know, I am not a full-timer and have a home base and several ways I like to travel....<br><br>I find that as I age, I enjoy certain amenities and when I am on the road, it is not to just sit somewhere but to move along and see things...I enjoy driving or riding greatly.<br><br>Most of the expense is fuel although I believe that one of the most interesting things about a place is the local cuisine so I eat at least a meal a day out in a Mom and Pop restaurant or some street food depending on where I am.<br><br>That said, I find I sometimes need to come home and let my finances catch up to what I spend on the road. I own a sticks and bricks home in a very inexpensive place so it costs me very little to live here and I can let my income catch up a bit before another trip.<br><br>I don't keep track of the expenses on the road so no help there...<br>Bri<br><br>

Earlier this spring with gas at an all time high of 1.30 per liter. I tried to spend as little as possible. I had abunch of stitches around my hip, and I was using a walker. The only time I left the motorhome was to walk the dog. I parked 2 weeks earlier at my sisters, when my incision needed attention. And I couldn't wait to be back in my little mobile home. Anyhooo I spent only 75 dollars a month for gas. I drove just to keep the batteries charged. I carried the generator on the walker. A few people asked if they could help, I said no thanks. I stayed at a friendly truck stop parked across from a hospital, incase I got an infection. 2011 didn't start to good.

<p>Gas is going up and it will continue to go up.&nbsp; So drive what ever you have but put a Honda ct 90 on the back of your rig.&nbsp; This perfect little motorcycle will make you smile mile after mile after mile.&nbsp; It gets about a hundred miles to the gallon.&nbsp; No more gas worries.</p>

I've been looking at the 49 and 70 cc scooters for quite some time. Would fit on my hitch haul cargo carrier, and really help out with the 13 mpg I get in the bus. I've seen them online for about $600 new for a Chinese off brand, but lots of places won't have parts for them or work on them for major malfunctions. What brand is yours Rich? A link or company name? Thanks

I figure I will pay up to $200-250/mo max to go between places. That way I am well within a safe margin to pay for an RV park for a month if that's the plan... and still have money for food, extra gas, entertainment, everyday needs, etc.<br><br>If I intend to overnight park for free for several weeks or a month... then maybe $300 but not much more than that... still need to pay for gas to move the van daily to avoid looking like the van is broken down if I'm in an urban area.<br>

Les H said:
I've been looking at the 49 and 70 cc scooters for quite some time. Would fit on my hitch haul cargo carrier, and really help out with the 13 mpg I get in the bus. I've seen them online for about $600 new for a Chinese off brand, but lots of places won't have parts for them or work on them for major malfunctions. What brand is yours Rich? A link or company name? Thanks
<br><br>49cc's in most states are "mopeds" and wouldn't require registration if your home state doesn't. But could still be an issue for cops pulling you over and even giving you a ticket for no plates even if you're within the law. Anything 49cc moves into motorcycle or motor driven cycle (depending on how your home state classifies it) and requires registration, insurance and potentially a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license so keep that in mind.<br><br>Stay FAR away from Chinese scooters. Buy a used Honda or Yamaha instead. A Chinese scoot might last you a year if you're lucky. They are hastily assembled. You generally have to completely disassemble them and rebuild them properly if you want them to last more than 6 months to a year. They are not only trash but they can be unsafe and even at times have worthless titles due to being illegal in the US for street use despite being sold as street legal.<br><br>I have a 2007 Yamaha Vino 125cc I will be taking with me .. but I have full motorcycle endorsement and it's tagged and insured. I had an 84 Honda Spree 50cc I loved but it did 25-30mph top end and couldn't be registered in my state (plus I had no title to it) so I felt it would be a problem in other states. So I got the Vino 125 which can do 50-55mph tops and is street legal in all states.<br>

Cubey said:
Les H said:
49cc's in most states are "mopeds" and woldn't require registration if your home state doesn't. Anything over that moves into motorcycle or motor driven cyce and requires registration, insurance and potentially a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license so keep that in mind. Stay FAR away from Chinese scooters. Buy a used Honda or Yamaha instead. A Chinese scoot might last you a year if you're lucky. They are hastily assembled. You generally have to completely disassemble them and rebuild them properly if you want them to last more than 6 months to a year. They are not only trash but they can be unsafe and even at times have worthless titles due to being illegal in the US for street use despite being sold as street legal. I have a 2007
Yamaha Vino 125cc I will be taking with me .. but I have full motorcycle
endorsement and it's tagged and insured. I had an 84 Honda Spree 50cc I
loved but it did 25-30mph top end and couldn't be registered in my state (plus I
had no title to it) so I felt it would be a problem in other states. So I got the Vino
125 which can do 50-55mph tops and is street legal in all states.
Thanks, Cubey, I seemed to remember basically what you said. I have often thought of getting a motorcycle endorsement, but never did. And I'd have to agree with you on the Chinese ones, but the price was right . You get what you pay for though.

You can get a used Honda for $500-1000 in the 49-70 range and it'll be better than a new one even if it needs work on it. I put 800 miles on that Spree while I had it (doubled it's miles!) and had only minimal issues with it. mostly from screws coming loose on the carb which loctite would have fixed if I had known it existed when I had those problems. But overall.. never had a bit of major trouble in the 4 years I had it.<br>

<p style="margin: 0px;">We try to keep our fuel (diesel 3/4 ton Dodge pulling 12,000lb TT) around $300-$350 a month. That said, we nearly lapped (only missed the upper north east)the US last year and our fuel for the year was $5025.38 (1508 gallons). We drove 21,615 miles of that we towed the travel trailer 9215 miles.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Our budget allows for&nbsp;about $750 a month for fuel and camping fees. We dry camped 141 days last year and payed $3158 in camping fee.&nbsp;So our average was $681.92 a month last year.&nbsp;This year we will be slowing down (hopefully). </p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Sam &amp; Judy</p>

49cc's in most states are "mopeds" and wouldn't require registration if your home state doesn't. But could still be an issue for cops pulling you over and even giving you a ticket for no plates even if you're within the law. Anything 49cc moves into motorcycle or motor driven cycle (depending on how your home state classifies it) and requires registration, insurance and potentially a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license so keep that in mind.

Cubey - that varies from state to state. Ohio no longer has a moped definition, for example. Anything over one brake hp, engine or motor, or can propel the vehicle 20 mph or greater is defined a motor vehicle and requires a tag and licensed driver. So you may have a 40cc unit but are clocked doing 23 mph, you're operating a motor vehicle by definition. Know the law of each state you're in. You may be driving legally in one, but illegally in another.

Tag requirements will depend on the state you're operating in, not the state of residency. Endorsement requirements operate on the state the license is issued.