So here I am - another newbie

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrayCat

Reaction score
Hello,
after quite a bit of reading I have finally worked up enough courage to register and introduce myself.
I have recently sold my house and most of my belongings to move into an RV.
I was hoping my company would allow me to work remotely or at least to take a few months off and then work on a project by project basis,
but when neither was an option I decided to resign, YIKES.
My husband has been working remotely, living in an RV full time for several years already. We met a couple of years ago and 
I decided to join him pretty soon after we met. I just needed some time to make it happen. And now I am here.

As we recently upgraded from his more stealthy self built into a class A, I thought we may not be welcome here, but somewhere on the boards I read that 
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]"The term "vandwelling" says more about how we live rather than our specific vehicle.  Those who are currently living in a vehicle, full- or part-time, or those who want to are welcome to participate here"[/font]

So I figured, I'll say hi and see how it goes.
I have only been on the road for three months now. We boondock about half of the time and stay at NP's or SP's the rest of the time.
So far I am greatly enjoying it.

We were thinking about coming to the RTR in Quartzsite, but are wondering if a 32ft rig would be ok to bring?
We recently stayed in Quartzsite for a couple of nights and I know there's tons of space there, but it probably also gets very busy that time of the year.
I understand the RTR will be not at the major spots there, but more towards Ehrenberg, is that correct? 
If so, we are definitely interested.

Excited to be here, learn a lot and hopefully share some experiences down the road as well!
StrayCat

welcome to the both of you .I wish you all the very best---I've lived in travel trailer, (2) vans & my Bounder Motorhome . for some time Now parked & in a Mobile home. Health concerns "dry docked me" for a while, soon Back to it I hope. I miss it all.
take care & have a great Life.
sparky1.in S. Va.

Welcome to the CRVL forums StrayCat! Congratulations on your new life! Vandwelling definitely refers to a lifestyle more than a type of vehicle so you are very welcome here. Our members live in everything from tents to huge class As and fifth wheels.

The RTR is held in Quartzsite, a bit east of town and back off of the highyway a bit. There's plenty of room for everyone. Ehrenberg is where people hang out before and after the RTR because there isn't any enforcement on the length time we're allowed to stay. Here's the link for the Quartzsite location- http://www.cheaprvliving.com/gatherings/ Hope to see you there!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Black and orange stray cats sittin on a fence
Ain't got enough dough to pay the rent
Sorry, every time I see 'Stray cat' my favorite Stray Cats song pops into my head lol
Welcome to CRVL, it's all RVs, no matter the type
I can't speak for a 32 foot class A at RTR, as I have no idea how passable the road is to the site, but I think you'll find this a welcoming bunch

Welcome aboard StrayCat!
At any gathering of RVers , you will find lots of friendly campers.
BUT AT RTR , you will find the friendliest there are !

Welcome to the CRVL Forum   :) 

I'm glad to see a new member who is working out of a Class A type RV in "their" work and travels.  So often people get the picture that it is about "Hobo's or Over the hill Hippies" in 20 year old Van's.  LOL  (bohemians at least)

This choice of lifestyle should appeal to all levels of people from the mobile online workers to the "Techno-Gypsies"
who may be recent UNI grad's or the retired full timers.   Then there are any number of people in between.

I'd like to see more discussion about working on the road as Virtual Assistants or Telecommuting Employees.
To support this life style it does take money and skills for making that money.   Some skills work best for nomadic people and may drive their choice of vehicle and living arrangements.

So please feel welcome here and offer what you can.

you shouldn't have a problem bringing a class a into the RTR. last year the where a few. remember it's only about a mile of dirt road and it's graded. highdesertranger

I wouldn't worry about whether this group of people will welcome you. They're even supportive of road trippers like me who still live in stick and brick housing. They'll definitely accept you and your Class A.

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the kind comments!
We have been without reliable Internet for a little while so it took me a while to come back and respond.

I managed to do a bit further reading on a mobile device, but I don't like to post from it (fat fingers and trying to conserve data, LOL!)

We spent the last few days on BLM land outside Saguaro NP in southern AZ.
We moved into a paid spot for a few days now, so we can do some maintenance and order a few items we need from Amazon.
We'll head to Quartzsite via Organpipe later this month or in early January...
Looking forward to meeting some of the folks on the boards.

Welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't worry about acceptance. I don't have a van, am not on the road yet and when I do it will be in a travel trailer. I felt like a outsider but it was only due to my own doing. This is the most diverse and accepting group of people I have ever been associated with. There is no norm so no one looks down on another for having less or more. It's okay if there are multiple answers to a question because one solution does not fit all.

Welcome! It's def. a way of life and not a vehicle type. I am in a class C, a little over a year now. Also headed to the RTR in January. I hope to meet you there.

Caryn

Welcome aboard and welcome to your new way of life! This is about as accepting a group of people there is, no matter what you live in. Even us stick and bricks wannabe's!