Smart Alt. Help

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riptorn

Reaction score
Asking about a 2016 EXPRESS 2500 Alternator.
:huh: Last week I received a Renogy  model  DCC5oS dc/dc mppt charger. Before that I'd never heard of a smart alternator. Looking on youtube hasn't helped, then the CTEK site showed a test using a multi meter. By the readings I got it says it's probably not smart. But it goes on to say. If it's newer than 2016 it probably is smart. By some Europe standards. 
No one I know can help me with an answer, Can you? I'd hate to hook it up wrong and ruin a new part.
P.S. the local GM dealer is as much help as a tooth ache, the service mgr. just glared at me

Thanks Slowt
 The ETRAILER 1 threw 4 is identical to what I found, but the next paragraph it says < Most Likely > Not once but twice, and then a you likely have. That seams to turn the test into a crap shoot to me.
To me that's like saying = You'll most likely Die if you take a 12ga slug in the chest
But thanks for your effort.  I do apricate your trying. 
P.S. By 1/4 I don't have a smart Alt. it's the fallowing paragraph that makes it seam like they would be guessing

Riptorn, I ran into the same question about my alternator a couple of years ago. (2012 gmc 2500 w/105 amp alt)

I installed a Sterling BB1260 dc to dc battery charger.

I determined my alt was not a smart alt after viewing this video.  

I determined also that 105 amps was not enough alt so I replaced with 200 amp aftermarket.  I doubt that your alt is smart but hopefully the video helps.

My non smart alternator puts out between 13.9 volts and 15 volts depending on the charge of the starter battery.  If yours drops to 12.5v and higher than 15.5v it's probably smart alt as mentioned in video.

Slow2day&Gappers
I had to stop over at my last living friends house (I do most of my online purchases with his paypall why I was there) he googled it. It is smart. 
Sure was simple. 
Sucks my alternator's smarter than me (it should bring home the bacon)
Any way I just want you both to know thanks for your effort   :thumbsup: .

If it were me and the dealer was in doubt and I was doubtful about my ability to figure it out then I would head to a professional automotive electric repair shop. They will have access to the vehicle specific specifications for the alternator that was installed in your particular vehicle. Maybe they will even look it up for you as a courtesy, that would not be unexpected to happen. So just in case take along a box of cookies for the crew as a thank you for that courtesy.

To others looking for the answer to the OP question.

I also remembered going to the dealer service manager several years ago and asked if my vehicle had the EPM system (gm's electrical power management system)  which is the "black box system" that makes your alternater "smart".   The only answer I could get out of him was "well some do and some don't" :( 

I found an article that explains the system better than I ever could.  https://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/gm-charging-system-problems/

The manufacturers are making it more and more difficult to do your own work.  I think I've got my last van.  You young folks will have to figure it out. :D

Looks to me it should be as simple as looking at the RPO codes on the door jamb of the vehicle, but haven't found one yet.