Getting house batteries close to 100% SOC

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John61CT said:
Your method for isolating/combining is just one small part, and in fact should only affect your cheap starter, see above.

Still aren't getting from 50 to 100% on a big bank made of normal lead in less than 5 hours of charging, more likely 8. Ideally that's first a big fossil fuel source in the AM, followed by a long sunny day with panels.

Start with pairs of cheap EC2s, maybe $200 each, if you make them last over four years then consider better quality to get maybe ten.

Yes, its likely better to bulk charge through the fat wired and fused solenoid and have the solar wattage to finish the last 20%.  I was looking at an alternative that would or could get the batteries to 100% possibly through a drive as well.  

Just a side note, while my target range of vehicles is pre-2004, thus no BMS (battery management system) like Ford has from 2011 and newer, those newer alternators and computer interfaces dont seem to even keep the starting battery up to barely 80%.  A lot of F150 owners report dead batteries every 2 years due to the charging parameters that are set for fuel efficiency...

As far as the Ctek under the hood, some of The Aussies are discussing a potential issue of having the system there because of temperature elevation. It's often over 40C there and at some level in temp (I haven't been able to find the numbers), the d250s and Smartpass will reduce the voltage to keep from fryng the batteries.

I wanted everything in the cabin since we'll be in the low desert at well over 40C on a regular basis. So I have a 4 gauge cable running from the engine compartment under the bottom of the vehicle and up through the floor about 6 feet behind the driver seat.

I do like, incidentally, that the primary objective that many of the Australian 4-wheelers have with the Ctek system is cold beer. Now, they have their priorities in order!
Ted

Spaceman Spiff! Thank you for not beating me up up! I wanna be a solar grabber whore not a wimp running from bullies! LOL!

Sorry for the playground humor!!!

Thx for the clarification above!!!! I really needed that.

Now that I have my batteries, I have a new round of questions.

And I should start a new thread for those...

But, THANK YOU all so much!

The hurdle with alternator charging is the vehicles voltage regulation is not designed to recharge a battery as fast as possible.

What max voltage is allowed, and how long it is allowed are highly platform specific. But while a battery might be charged from 50% to 100% in 6.5 hours, if brought to and held at 14.5v for that duration, when the vehicle decides that 13.7v is just fine and dandy, well 24 hours of driving at 13.7v will likely not fully charge the battery.

The Ctek and other DC to DC converters are taking whatever voltage is allowed by the vehicle and stepping it up to the Mid 14's. through a boost converter. I imagine it can also step voltage down when it believes the batteru is indeed fully charged.

I am not personally familiar with the Ctek, nor sterling DC to DC charger options nor how they actually perform/endure, or how happy they can keep the house battery in Vehicle X's usage.

My Alternator is externally regulated, and was voltage controlled by the Engine computer. I tricked the engine computer into thinking it is still attached to the field terminals on alternator with a resistor, and use an external Voltage regulator that has adjustable voltage. I put the voltage dial on my dashboard next to my voltmeter/ ammeter. Battery less than 100% fully charged, I choose 14.7v. Battery fully charged, I choose 13.6v. Sunny and fully charged, I can choose 13.5v and let my 200 watts of solar power most of my engine electrical requirements.

Not sure the ratio regarding vehicles with externally regulated alternators vs those that have VR's internal to the alternator, but choosing the voltage makes it possible to recharge as fast as possible, or recharge to as high a state of charge as possible in the time one drives.

So a house battery that is destined to only get charged when driven, is Kind of doomed to early failure, Unless the voltage regulation is addressed and mid 14's are sought and held. Perhaps some vehicles will allow 14+v. Many people will measure voltage right after starting and see 14.3v, dance a little jig, and think that is the voltage always chosen/Allowed by the voltage regulator. It is NOT. It is a matter of time before a drop to the Mid 13's is inevitable, and when that happens recharging slows by ~65%, and that is when fat cabling is used for minimal voltage drop. Mid 13's and 32 feet round trip of 10 gauge wire and you might as well take your house battery to the corner of the yard and shoot it with a scattergun.

So preventing more voltage drop by thicker copper is a big consideration, and not just because high amps at relatively low voltage require thick copper for safety. The voltage received at the battery terminals plays a HUGE part in how much the battery will ask for from the charging source, and minimizing voltage drop to house battery at both high amperages and lower amperages is important for recharging performance.

While batteries are to serve us, they cannot do so for long if not properly fed. 100% recharge need not happen every recharge, but it needs to happen every so often. Aiming for only 85%, and continuous cycling from 35 to 80% charge range will have a battery performing horribly, suffering unrecoverable capacity loss within a few dozen cycles and perhaps complete failure after as little as 150 total cycles. When the 100% recharge is then attempted on such an abused battery, It will take 12+ hours when brought to and held at 14.7v, and if the battery had 100AH capacity when new, One should expect a percentage well below this after such abuse of partial state of charge cycling.

Scoring a 90% on a test in school is damn good. Recharging a battery to only 90% time and again is Not. Without the occassional 100%, premature failure is a guarantee. Is premature failure acceptable? Well that desicision is yours. How premature will it be?...., Impossible to say without knowing the depth of discharge, how close it is returned to 100% and the number of partial state of charge cycles.

Solar and the PNW.... Well it seems that many believe that it absolutely never ever gets sunny there and therefore solar is a complete waste and therefore a possibility to be ignored. Except that rare sunny day can accomplish the true 100% state of charge that the vehicle, with its shitty voltage regulation, never could on its own. The occassional sunny day, even in the pacNW can easily double battery longevity. And while cloudy might have output at a fraction of a sunny day, the lesser output is at least mitigating some of the loads and keeping the battery from falling further that it otherwise would.

The Cheap 85 amp continuous duty solenoids, well I recommend against them for battery charging unless one Knows for sure the contacts within it have not fused together. When they do, the solenoid will still make the right noises, or very close to the right noises when triggered or let go, but there will be NO isolation with engine off and house and engine batteries will power house loads, and engine starter, and this usually kills the engine battery/both batteries quickly.

The cheap CDsolenoids should be considered a wear item and long before it completely fails, it will be causing excessive resistance in the charge path, slowing battery charging. The 200 Amp CDsolenoid with silver tungsten internal contacts might be 3 to 4x the price of the cheapest possible 85Amp CDS, but it also will last much longer, and perhaps save the user from being stranded with dead house and Engine batteries that both need to be replaced, along with the failed cheapo solenoid that killed them.

More Modern Vehicles are doing everything to get their Vehicle fleet MPG averages as high as possible, and unloading the alternator at the expense of the battery is one way they can eek out slightly higher numbers. The other way is with thinner oils, and reducing weight. And copper is heavy, and the original charging circuit is barely adequate for a fully charged engine battery and all the electrical loads possible as the vehicle left the factory. So this is the main reason Why I recommend taking power right from alternator(+) stud rather than from engine battery (+). But the vehicle's voltage regulation is still a big limiting factor.

So what to do? Raise the pressure, through a Ctek or equivalent DC to DC converter, or figure out a way to manipulate the voltage the vehicle allows its alternator to seek.

Or Shrug, say it is what it is, and just replace batteries more often.

When this gets to be annoying, especially in that period right before battery replacement, when one does not know if they will have enough power for their wants/needs, one then might decide to recharge the battery better to get more life from it, and find themselves right back at a thread like this. Especially if failure was extremely inconvenient and one had to pay a premium for a lesser battery as that was all that was available.

With a DodgeVan , from 1988 to 2003, one can do what I did regarding tricking the engine computer and adding an External voltage regulator as described in this thread:

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Your-Vehicles-voltage-regulator?highlight=voltage+regulator

With this modification, I can pretty much always charge my AGM battery at the very limits of its acceptance when driving. Idling hot is the exception, as my alternator is only good for 50 amps at idle, and 8.2 of those are required to run the engine at idle, but I will not idle just to recharge either.

My Northstar AGM battery has no issues accepting huge recharging currents, and actually is better off when charged regularly at rather extreme amperages. While most batteries can accept huge amperages when depleted, it is not so good for them to do so often. Lifeline, Northstar and Odyssey AGM's can all accept huge amperage numbers and are better off for it.

But other flooded and the less expensive AGM batteries.... is it worse to slow charge them and let them live their reduced lifespan at a lower average state of charge, or hammer them with huge amperages while the vehicles voltage regulator still allows electrical pressure up in the mid 14's? Hard to say, but I am in favor of hammering them with huge amperages, as long as their temperature is not allowed to exceed 110F.

The cheaper AGMS say to limit amps to 30 per 100AH capacity and this is also likely a good limitation for flooded batteries too, but honestly those numbers with stock vehicle voltage regulation would likely rarely be attained, and rarer to be exceeded, and if so, only briefly before the premature float voltage of 13.7 or less is initiated by a timid voltage regulator.

High amp recharging a high temperature battery should be avoided. attaching a temperature sensor to my battery and observing it recharged at 40 to 65 amps was surprising just how much temperature rise there was, and this is a low resistance AGM battery that will heat less than lesser AGMS or flooded batteries.

Well Depleted batteries in engine compartments crossing the desert in summer should be avoided, and even if the house batteries are in a 95f degree van, they will heat up surprisingly quickly when recharging, even in the later stages of absorption when they are accepting relatively few amps.

Everything is a trade off, a compromise.

My personal system is now achieving excellent battery longevity, but ALL my charging sources can have their voltage manipulated either by twisting a potentiometer, or pressing some buttons on the solar controller. I can also plug in when I have gone too many cycles without either a High amp recharge and or a full 100% recharge and this ( plugging in to achieve a true 100%) is largely responsible for me achieving excellent battery longevity. I would have to cut way back on laptop time, and drive way more in winter, for my Alternator and solar to be able to accomplish that. From Equinox to equinox over the summer my Solar alone can achieve and hold absorption voltage long enough, but my AGM needs the occassional high amp blast when most depleted, before the sun has had a chance to partially fill it. Presunrise 80 alternator amps + solar the rest of the day makes my battery very happy. Solar only slower to full daily, less so.

With my AGM battery I determine full charge when amps required to hold absorption voltage of 14.7v at 77F, taper to 0.4a or less. This would be 0.5% of the battery capacity( 20 hour rate)

The temperature compensating hydrometer is great for flooded batteries, but one can also use this amperage at absorption threshhold to accurately estimate full charge.

Generally with flooded batteries when they can accept 2 to 3% of their capacity(20 hour rate) at absorption voltage, they are in the 100% charged range, but double check with the hydrometer every so often as it will change as the batteries age. As they age they will use more water and require more time at absorption voltage. If they do not get more time, they age faster and faster.

While Voltage plays a huge part in recharging, a simple voltmeter alone is not so good at determining state of charge either when charging or discharging, or within several house of having done either.

A battery accepting 50 amps at 14.7v is nowhere near fully charged, but a battery accepting only 0.8 amps at 14.7v is, or very nearly is, fully charged.

So seeing 14.7v, without knowing how many amps are flowing, well, one is not seeing very much and could easily jump to very incorrect conclusions.

Get an Ammeter.

This one is not extremely precise with a resolution of only 0.2 amps, but requires no shunt. Slide a single battery cable through the sensor.

https://www.amazon.com/bayite-Digital-Current-Voltage-Transformer/dp/B01DDQM6Z4

Minewas initially located as to display total alternator output, but I recently moved the sensor over to a battery cable to display amps into or out of battery. Knowing how many recharging amps are flowing at a given voltage, is Extremely enlightening.

The Amp hour counting monitors are great, but the person with an Ammeter can develop a great idea of state of charge by the amps flowing at the voltage allowed/held.

The person who can control the voltage when charging with an near unlimited charging source, like an alternator, has a great level of control.

But 80% to 100% takes time. About 4 hours, no matter how powerful the charging source seeking voltages in the mid to high 14's.

Solar has the time, if not every day, then at least occassionally.

Seems the only people that complain about solar are those who park under trees always, or never set up their system correctly in the first place, or those who believe that their climate is too far north with too many ever present clouds and decide against it entirely. I can't imagine still having my batteries discharging when the sun is above the horizon. And worse, still discharging!!

Do not underestimate the joy, even of only occassionally, in getting a battery to 100% state of charge, silently, with a fridge filled with 32.5f beer.

Also while a compressor fridge might draw 3 to 4 amps when the compressor is running, the compressor does not run 100% of the time.

My 1.8 cubic foot Danfoss powered Vitrifrigo fridge, with extra insulation and a very well ventilated condenser, is averageing 0.62AH consumed each hour as I use it with low 60's overnight lows and 75F afternoon High temperatures.

My laptop consumes 3 to 4 AH each hour and more if I am streaming videos.
I only have one AGM battery, for House and engine starting duties. It has about 500 Deep cycles on it now over about 39 months of use. I will use as much as 65AH overnight, as little as 25AH, with average about 40AH. It is only 90AH total capacity, and that was when new.

Still performing well in terms of voltage held overnight, and can easily start my engine in the morning when depleted 65 of its 90AH. Frankly I find the battery to be damn impressive, and it is all because I can charge it properly. And that means high amps regularly, and to a true full often with whatever sources I have available.

I feel honored to have elicited a page long reply from SW... must've a slow surfing day, ha ha.

Appreciate you not trashing the 12v to 12v option as well as reminding/educating people about the vagueries of fixed regulator charging systems.  

While I am not in a van yet, I'm trying to plan a system that doesn't completely blow the budget, allows for my rooftop space limits (flexible only otherwise I'd use a 300 plus watt grid tie panel).  I have learned from about 6 regular electric forum posters of the importance of the thick wiring.  Maybe some product will pop up that does even a better (faster) charge than the CTEK  at a lessor price.  Maybe sometime!  Till then I will hope for a good buy on a 2-300 watt flexible self done kit, and the requisite alternator cabling/solenoid.

The other advantage to the 200 amp solenoid is the larger and higher quality posts, something to remember even if not needing a 200 amp possible draw.

Yes, On weekends I tend to not bother surfing as the crowds, and the mentality of those crowds, tends to make me angry. I had a number of good rides yesterday which should hold me over, but there is still daylight now and winds are light.

Not sure you need a solenoid if you have the Ctek, but will leave that to others who are familiar with the product.

One other thing that a Lot of Aussies do, is mount an capable inverter close to the engine battery, then run an AC household extension cord to a high amp 3 stage 'smart' charger located near the house batteries. That way the house batteries can get brought upto and held at the voltages at which they charge quickly, and hopefully fully at the end of a longer drive. The inverter does not mind 13.6v, and the chrger will seek mid 14v. and thus be able to charge batteries faster than thick cabling only allowed 13.6v.

A shame that it is hard to find a garage charger of more than 20 amps these days, But RV converters are usually more robust, and better, and can go as high as 120 amps, they just do not have sleek sexy casings with soothing green lights.

Inverters do not appreciate engine heat though, and running thick copper to it mounted in passsenger compartment takes some of the shine off of that plan.

That method is also cutting 20% efficiency off on the inverter side, and perhaps another 20 to 30% on the charger, but many people can make this work with what they already have, and achieve better faster more complete battery chrging than what a solenoid and thick wiring might accomplish, especially when their vehicle only ever holds 13.6v.

Lots of solar is a great Idea. I wish i had 300+ watts, but make due with 200, and other optimized charging sources.

Back in the day i never considered plugging in to recharge, but when the possibility arose, I got myself an extension cord and a charger, and even if only plugging in for 2 hours, my batteries were happier than before I plugged in. Granted the charger was slow junk I could not control, but it was better than no charging and not enough power to run my laptop the next day. So consider carrying a plug in charger and extension cord even if now, you cannot envision ever having access to 120Vac in order to plug in. Giving the batteries a break while charging them for 24 hours makes them happy.

I got a quick moment-just to say that no solenoid is needed on the d250s. The ctek acts as the solenoid. You just run the cable off the battery to wherever you want to set up your system. I have a marine on/off switch right before it goes into the ctek. I also have a 150 amp breaker in the engine compartment.

SW that inverter or converter actually, idea is interesting. I have searched Amazon multiple times and 3 stage smart chargers seem to be limited to a max of 25 amps (not counting the engine start function which isn't used for charging). Plus, the 25 amp brands are Schumaker (sp) and other such crap shoot quality ones.

So I'd probably look at a quality Iota DLS 45 or 55 smart IQ4 converter/charger. Only issue I saw with them was the listed voltage of charging, 13.4 or 13.6 and a high of 14.2, which could be low for some battery types...

"IF THE DLS VOLTAGE REMAINS IN THE LONG TERM STAGE FOR MORE THAN 7 DAYS THE IQ SMART TECHNOLOGY WILL AUTOMATICALLY DELIVER A BOOST CHARGE FOR A PREDETERMINED TIME THEN AUTOMATICALLY RETURN TO THE NORMAL FLOAT STAGE. DC NO LOAD OUTPUT VOLTAGE ( APPROX ) : 13.6V ( DC ). OUTPUT VOLTAGE TOLERANCE ( NO LOAD) : + OR - .7%. MAX CONTINUOUS OUTPUT AMPERAGE : 45 AMPS. OUTPUT VOLTAGE ( FULL LOAD ) APPROX : 13.4V ( DC ). MAXIMUM CONTINUOUS POWER OUTPUT : 600 WATTS. RIPPLE AND NOISE : <50MVRMS. INPUT VOLTAGE RANGE 108-132V ( AC ). INPUT VOLTAGE FREQUENCY : 47-63 Hz. MAXIMUM AC CURRENT @ 108VAC : 11 AMPS. TYPICAL EFFICIENCY : >80%. MAX INRUSH CURRENT, SINGLE CYCLE : 40 AMPS. SHORT CIRCUIT PROTECTION AND OVERLOAD PROTECTION. THERMAL PROTECTION. LINE REGULATION: 100MV RMS. LOAD REGULATION: <1.5%. FAN CONTROL : PROPORTIONAL. WITHSTAND VOLTAGE : 1240 @ LEADS. 2 YEAR WARRANTY. UL LISTED. WEIGHT: 5 LBS. DIMENSIONS: 9.7”L X 6.7”W X 3.4”H."

Uhh SternWake, the IOTA DLS 75 says it pulls 18 amps... what is that going to need for the inverter then (size wise)?  Also, will that work as far as voltage "sag" on the 12v starting battery presuming it is only used when the engine is running?  

I'm presuming for 120V ac times 18 amps that's 2,160 watts and at 12v that's 198 amps used.  Is that correct?  

So that would call for a large inverter (2500) and a pretty big battery capacity.  Is a hybrid starting battery even capable of that draw?

I am aware that electric seat heaters pull decent amounts of amperage so I tried looking it up, the results surprised me on how seeming little they use:

Quotation follows...

"Heated seat power consumption" post on "GM-volt.com"

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]"It seems to come up quite a bit so I thought I'd measure it to see what it is. Luckily the heated seats have their own [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]fuse[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif] which makes it easy to tap the circuit and measure the current.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]The answer is about 3.25A per seat when the seat is heating. I sat in the car about 45 minutes playing around with the different H-M-L settings to see what was going on and here is what I saw:[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Starting on Low I saw approx 3.25A for about 30 seconds then no draw (ok, 100mA or so) for about 1 minute, then repeat.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]On Med I saw 1 minute at 3.25A and 40 seconds with no draw. On High I saw 3.25A constant and after 10 minute gave up watching for it to cycle. I got up and got out of the car and came back about 3 minutes later and it was pulling no current. About 15 seconds after I sat down it pulled 3.25A again.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]This does not APPEAR to be a fixed cycle on any of these settings and here is why I say that. When I went from Med back down to Low it took over 5 minutes before it drew power again. This leads me to believe that the seat was warm enough that it didn't need to apply any current. Once it got into it's cycle it was again about 30 seconds on and 1 minute off.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]So an approximation of average load per seat, which may well depend a bit on your ambient temp (mine was 50), using 13.8V for nominal voltage would be:[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Low: 15 Watts[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Med: 30 Watts[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]High: 45 Watts[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]End quote[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Is this then a problem, if the smaller IOTA 45 amp is used, which should pull less than 18 amps...[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Thanks[/font]

A good quality AC charger putting out 30+A will cost at least a couple hundred, more if you want to set the absorption and float voltage yourself.

Quite a bit less if you go with a power supply, and monitor the charging process yourself.

SW, what do you think of MegaWatt as a brand? http://www.ebay.com/itm/161634497249

For DC to DC, maybe double that; Sterling and ProMariner are great quality and more reasonable than Victron, MasterVolt and Redarc.

Found an old note that this S-700-12 unit (Mean Well clone) is likely just fine.

Can "stack" them in parallel to produce 100 amps continuous, 300 amps any amperage you want, every time you add one ups the output by 50 amps for only $105 delivered, with a six month eBay guarantee.

Review here: ​http://www.repeater-builder.com/other-mfrs/megawatt-ps/megawatt-ps.html

Note since then they upgraded the fans.

So my 360AH LFP bank can get fully recharged at a precise voltage from "empty" in well under an hour.

But the 0000 (4/0) quality cable to do so safely is over $200 for ten feet, weighs 18 lbs.

And needs two 30A circuits at 115 AC, that meter be spinnin!

Wonder what the actual voltage range of that 100 amp megawatt is. They were the first power supply I became aware of. I experimented with an unprotected 22$ clone of the 30 amp Megawatt, then sacrificed it for science when i got sick of adjusting voltage upward as battery charged to keep the unit at max output, but without buzzing from overload. It would provide 38 amps, but buzzed and quickly heated above 36 amps, and was rated at 30 amps. So adjusting voltage constantly as battery charged was required to keep it at 30+ amps but under 36 amps for the whole bulk stage. That got old quick, but it lit the bulb and showed how awesome it was to be able to control voltage manually, as long as the powersupply would not fry itself.

My Meanwell RSP-500-15 has constant current limiting on Overload, and this is required when a power supply is used as a battery charger on a depleted bank capable of drawing more than the power supplies rating. many power supplied will have Hiccup or rollback protections. hiccup means it shuts off until overload is removed, Rollback will roll 30 amps to some lesser amperage while the overload is still present. Constant current limiting limits current at the maximum the power supply can maintain.

Anybody seeking to use a power supply as a Manual single voltage battery bulk/absorption charger needs to ensure it has constant current limiting on overload, and only Meanwell, AFAIK, displays this in their product PDF's. The Megawatt either holds steady amps on overload, or rolls back current, depending on whose report one wishes to believe. IDK.

How well any given charging source responds to a MSW inverter powering it is unknown by me. Many devices become even less efficient on MSW, and PSW inverters are much more costly.

The Iota's are not power factor corrected, and 18 amps requires a 20 amp household outlet to power it.

I am also not so fond of Iota's charge algorithm dropping from 14.8 to 14.2 for the remainder of the absorption cycle. This will slow charging, partially defeating the purpose of an inverter powering a charger to quickly charge house battery.

My Meanwell rsp-500-15 is power factor corrected. Rated at 500 watts it will output just over 600watts. i have not put a Meter reading AC amperage/wattage and am not sure just how efficient it is. Meanwell claims upto 93% efficient, where as most non PFC chargers are likely 60 to 70% efficient.

I have never used my Meanwell on my 400 watt PSW inverter, which it could easily overload, or my 800 watt MSW inverter.

The powermax converters have adjustable voltage manual models, and it is claimed that these in the 60 amp and higher versions are power factor corrected, meaning they use less AC to produce their DC, but one member on another forum says there is no way his 60 amp powermax is PFC'd.

Depending on the size of your house battery bank a huge amperage charger might not make all that much differnece in time to full, as that last few% take so much time, but it could get a depleted bank to a higher state of charge while you drive, which can greatly extend battery life, even if 100% is not accomplished each time, which is very rare to accomplish without solar anyway.

Check out these links:
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/effect_of_charge_rate_on_agm_battery

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/voltage_vs_soc_lifline_battery

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/automotive_alternators_vs_deep_cycle_batteries

Say an Alternator is rated at 120 amps. That would likely only be accomplished spinning at 2500+ engine rpm, and only if the wiring were capable of supporting that much load for a duration. If the inverter was pulling 140 amps then the battery would be providing what the alternator cannot, and the starting battery would not take kindly to the cycling, and degrade faster. Robbing peter to pay paul. With a dual battery setup I am of the opinion the engine starting battery should always be 100% charged and not used for any house loads whatsoever, but some others have no issue lightly cycling the engine battery and accepting its premature decline in capacity and starting ability.

Inverters are also great battery depleters as most will only shut off once the battery is 20% or less charged, and gasping.

If one wants to do the INverter on engine battery powering a high amp charger charging house battery, then this needs to be a dedicated inverter for this purpose, and another inverter required for powering household AC loads, if desired. In theory one could transfer the (+) from engine battery to house battery with an apporpriate switch and thick cable, and unplug the charger, then require only one inverter.

Also shutting down the engine, one needs to power down the inverter or engine battery will be drained at a high rate to charge house battery, with much of that being lost to inefficiency of inverter and charger.

The inverters have standby loads, they will consume some amount of power turned on, powering nothing.

So getting the engine battery powered inverter powering a high amp charger on house battery is very Doable, but there are the considerations listed above.

It makes overriding the vehicles voltage regulator to take full advantage of the vehicles alternator more desirable, at least to me, but converting an internally regulated alternator to external regulation is not something I currently know how to do.

If pursuing the inverter powering the higher amp charger, I'd not go overboard in the high amp seeking department, and I would want a charging source that is going to hold a high absorption voltage the whole time, at least until the battery is fully charged. I'd not exceed the alternator's rating, I'd likely try not to exceed 2/3 it rating. keep in mind this is my opinion, I have not done this.

Not really sure what inverter/ charger combo to recommend. My Meanwell rsp-500-15 will do 40 amps all day long, but I have modified it with more ventilation, heatsinking, voltage adjustment know, and a wattmeter on the DC output.

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-My-newest-electrical-toy?page=2

It is a well built robust unit, but I do not know how detrimental it would be to power it on a MSW inverter. I assume that components inside would likely heat more. Being a power supply they generally do handle MSW OK, but perhaps get hotter and thus wear out faster. I'd at least use a good MSW inverter and not a cheapo harbor freight whose modified 'steps' might be very ugly if viewed on an oscilliscope.

Meanwell makes more powerful PFC power supplies that can be used as battery chargers. the Meanwell rsp-750-15 is a consideration, but apparently they are not easy to get to work properly as a battery charger as they are not intended for this application. 2 members here have acquired them, I know one returned it, not sure if the other member ever got his functioning to its possible 60 amp potential His initial reports were not good.

Neither is my 500 watt version intended for use as a battery charger, but it has no issues with this task, and I feel it is the best 40 amp battery charger that ever charged a battery. Just hook up AC and DC, set the voltage and 40 amps are available for as long as the battery can handle them and/or other DC loads consume them.

So many considerations, Sorry it can't be laid out flat as to' this will do exactly that when hooked up like this'. How a inverterX powering a charger Y will actually work, is unknown until actually hooked up, by human Bean with the tools interest and desire to actually observe what is occurring in actual use with a depleted battery being charged.

SternWake said:
Anybody seeking to use a power supply as a Manual single voltage battery bulk/absorption charger needs to ensure it has constant current limiting on overload, and only Meanwell, AFAIK, displays this in their product PDF's.
Thanks, important detail!

But isn't that only a problem when the PS output is lower than what the battery can demand?

Big LFP banks excepted, having the PS rated at the AH capacity should be safe with lead, in fact .5C likely fine for all but the most expensive brands.

And of course proper fusing. . .

SternWake said:
How well any given charging source responds to a MSW inverter powering it is unknown by me. Many devices become even less efficient on MSW, and PSW inverters are much more costly.
I'm now very confused. You talking about someone running a AC to DC charger or PS off a DC to AC inverter??

I'm trying hard to imagine a scenario where that would make sense and coming up blank.

Once we started discussing AC chargers, I assume grid/shore or AC gennie power is upstream.

John61CT said:
I'm now very confused. You talking about someone running a AC to DC charger or PS off a DC to AC inverter??

The inverter is hooked to engine battery and engine battery is being charged by alternator.

This  inverter is then powering a Distant battery charger hooked to house batteries.

At 120V voltage drop is not a concern over the household extension cord, and the charging source  whether power supply, converter or garage charger is likely/hopefully bringing the batteries to the correct absorption voltage, unlike the vehicles voltage regulator which might only allow 13.6v.

The result can be faster more complete house battery charging, disregarding the loss of efficiency at the inverter, and at the charger.

How much more effective this can be, compared to the thick cabling betwqeen alternator solenoid and house bank is entirely depepdent on the voltage the vehicle's voltage regulator allows.  if it only allows 13.6v then the inverter on enginen battery powering a capable charging source attached to house battery will be far superior, in terms of house battery charging.

if the vehicles voltage regulator can be set to 14.7v, and it remains there while the battery is still less than 100% discharged, then this is much more effective, as much higher camp can theoreticaly flow over adequate copper into depleted house battery.

Since the vehicles voltage regulator cannot be easily manipulated on most vehicles, the Inverter hooked to engine battery, powering a charger hooked to depleted house batteries, can yield a substantial improvement in house battery charging, despite the efficiency losses of the double conversion, DC to AC then AC back to DC.  This loss in efficiency makes the alternator work a bit harder, burns a bit more fuel.

Obviously powering the inverter when the engine is not running is foolish, and will simply deplete the engine battery to charge the house battery at likely only 60% efficiency, if that.

Ive read and re-read the replies and I have to admit to being lost... I dont think I have a good idea of what to do when and if this becomes a reality. There's:
1- do nothing other than get a job at Batteries Plus and exchange batteries every month
2 - just 100 or 200 watts of solar 
3 - 2 above plus basic alternator charging thru a solenoid or VSR
4 - 2 above plus a 12v to 12v charger, (CTEK, Sterling)
5 - 2 above plus the dedicated inverter powering a smart battery charger
6 - ?

In a way I'm glad that I dont have to deal with this quite yet. Hopefully the answer will become clear when it needs to. I know finances have something to do with it as #4 and 5 could be spendy.  And we haven't even touched on batteries yet...  :s

Thanks to all who have replied, especially with real possibilities and the up and down sides of each.

SternWake said:
The inverter is hooked to engine battery and engine battery is being charged by alternator.

This  inverter is then powering a Distant battery charger hooked to house batteries.
OK, I see now. IMO total kluge solution fuggedaboudid.

First in the unlikely event the alt is really only putting out 13.6V or otherwise not doing what I need, that would be a priority, including remote voltage sense.

Putting its output directly onto the bigger more used House bank with a nice fat cable could come first, lower voltage just makes things a bit slower.

AC charger sized at .3C run overnight whenever shore power available.

The starter batt getting charged then isolated, easy with a cheap solenoid, no DCDC needed.

Or get a little gennie to replace the engine runtime, save the cost of the heavy cable and solenoid.

Above's just for bulk and some absorption, ideally in the morning. Solar needed for the long tail all day, just to House.

Hydrometer or Batt monitor (better but $) make sure motor/gennie runtime not too short nor too long, until you get a feel for it, depends on the weather.

That's it, IMO done right, reason why it's bog standard, other more "creative" solutions only if needed for exceptional circumstances.

This world isn said:
 . . .  Figuring on two 6v deep cycle golf cart batteries, wired in parallel series, and then make sure to have about a 1:1 solar watt to battery amp ratio, with cycling down to appx 75% SOC nightly . . .

. . . that most standard alternator charging systems dont bring the house batteries up to 100% SOC due to the voltage regulator limitations (13,4 ish).  Plus my extended time up here in Canada and the PNW often has me dealing with relatively poor solar conditions (like at the present).

This world isn said:
Ive read and re-read the replies and I have to admit to being lost... I dont think I have a good idea of what to do when and if this becomes a reality. There's:
1- do nothing other than get a job at Batteries Plus and exchange batteries every month
2 - just 100 or 200 watts of solar 
3 - 2 above plus basic alternator charging thru a solenoid or VSR
4 - 2 above plus a 12v to 12v charger, (CTEK, Sterling)
5 - 2 above plus the dedicated inverter powering a smart battery charger
6 - ?

So, what you have told us so far is that you are estimating using ~ 50AH/day.  This is the minimum that you need to replace every day.  You just need to figure out FOR YOUR SITUATION what is the most efficient/cost effective way to do that.  It takes some plotting different scenarios to see what works best for you and your budget.

One thing to keep in mind: no matter what method of charging you use, you will need at lease 2.5 hours (and more likely 3+) to get your batteries from 80% to 100%.  If you are driving that much every day, alternator charging works (either direct, 12 to 12, or inverter/charger).  If not your vehicle becomes an expensive to run 200+HP generator.

If you are in an area with poor sun and dependable wind, you might want to consider a wind turbine.

-- Spiff

John61CT said:
Putting its output directly onto the bigger more used House bank with a nice fat cable could come first, lower voltage just makes things a bit slower.

At 80% charged, about 1/3 less amperage flows at 13.6v, as would at 14.7v on a lead acid battery. The OP is not considering setting up a Lifepo4 house bank and all that that entails.
So unless 66% is only a 'bit' slower in your world, perhaps you should not be making recommendations on stuff you only have read about and do not really understand, or have any experience actually doing at this point.
And if you think 13.6v is an unlikely low voltage for a vehicle to allow, you are seriously deluded. Have you ever even put a voltmeter on a battery? Or are you  still purely in the theoretical wish list parts acquirement stage of your build?
Often your posts only cause more confusion to the original poster while you describe what you think is best for how you want your theoritical ideal system with a seemingly unlimited budget, to run in your intended uses, which are entirely differnet than that of the original poster, their needs, desires, and budget.
 Your whole 2.5 months of deep research, and no experience renders your honest opinion,  about as worthy as tits on a bull.  In my honest opinion.

I'm giving options to the OP.  The inverter hooked to engine battery  powering a distant 25+ amp charger on a house battery of 100 to 220Ah capacity, if it can maintain 14.7 volts at the house battery, will recharge much faster towards 100% than a 13.6v limited vehicular system voltage, no matter how fat the copper path is between alternator and house battery.  The potential of an alternator restricted to 13.6v is seriously limited in its ability to fast charge a lead acid battery, but not making use of this charging source makes no sense either.
Do not use the alternator-solenoid-house battery charge path at the same time as trying to use the inverter on engine battery powering charger on house battery. That will accomplish nothing.  Put an illuminated  switch on the solenoid trigger if the engine battery inverter---charger---house battery option is desirable.
 Doing this means one can have two methods to recharge house battery while engine is running, but not both at once.   The solenoid parallels the batteries, ties them together, so the engine batteryinverter.....charger on house,housebattery would be drawing from the battery to charge itself, which is impossible.
6.5 hours at 14.5v might be able to recharge a 50% depleted but relatively healthy battery to full, but likely true full will take 7.5 to 8 hours.
32 hours at 13.6v will likely have that same 50% battery still well less than 100% charged, so getting 14.5v at the depleted battery termials is always extremely desirable, and whatever method chosen can accomplish this, is a well functioning method, Kludge or not.  Ideal or not.
Also abused  sulfated batteries really slow down in what they accept at a certain voltage, and 13.6v on a new 50% charged battery might accept 20 amps, on an old abused battery 50% charged it might accept only 8 amps making that 32 hours into 64, or likely more.
As we do not know the voltage any particular vehicle allows, nor for how long it will allow it before reverting to 13.6 to 13.8v, It cannot be known how well, or likely just how badly the alternator will do in allowing a battery to live a useful cycle life, especially if it is the only charging source ever employed. But the alternator with adequate solar, even in a less than ideal solar environment, at least give the battery a chance of attaining true 100%, which it so desires.
It would be great to know what voltage actual vehicles allow in actual use and for how long, but instead most everybody assumes a depleted battery is being charged as fast as possible every time the engine runs, and the reality is that unless the vehicle charging system/ path to depleted house battery is  modified to seek and hold higher voltages, the battery is being recharged at a fraction of what it could accept.
If drawing a battery to ~50% state of charge, getting that battery upto 80% might be accomplished in little time with high absorption voltages achieved at battery terminals quickly, but 80% to 100% on that healthy battery is going to take 3.5 hours minimum, at absorption voltage and much much longer at lesser voltages.  And truly fully charged  is not determined by a blinking green light on some supposed smart automatic chrging source, but with an Ammeter or a hydrometer and of course the voltmeter.
If the battery is only drawn down to 80% charged, then 80 to 100% might take less time, or perhaps not.
  The only person who can say for sure is the one actually observing an Ammeter and or Hydrometer while their batteries actually charge, in addition to the voltmeter. That time required to reach full,  applies to their specific batteries at that point in time within their cycle life in that specific discharge/recharge regimen, at their specific temperature.  And it always is changing, for the worse, with a few confusing exceptions.
All Lead acid battery charging systems in van dwelling/RV usage should be about attaining absorption voltage quickly after any level of depletion.  Any charging is better than no charging, but voltage limited charging is a serious handicap which will seriously extend the charge times required to reach full.
And thelead acid battery needs the occassional Full recharge to have any hope of getting a decent cycle life from it