Sleeping during the day

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanGrrl57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this. If not, please move it to where it needs to be. 

I am an overnight client advocate for a homeless shelter in Sioux Falls, SD. I have been living in my van at different friends' driveways as well as the state parks that are close by and doing okay so far but what I want to know is this: how would someone sleep during the day in a city scenario? Is it even doable? The cops are starting to get antsy about people living in their vehicles around here and they seem to be rousting people from the parks and other places from what I'm hearing.

Any ideas? Or am I going to have to get a job that lets me sleep during the night hours? :huh:

VanGrrl57

Most cities have ordinances preventing *overnight parking* (in specific areas) not *sleeping*. In fact, many of the cities that had *sleeping* laws have had them knocked down in court. Not to say that they are all gone though. I know they exist in really bad form in WA state. I do not believe SD has any such laws. Specific cities may, but then ust drive outside city limits and feel free to take that nap.

Thanks Van-tramp.

Since I work overnight and sleep during the day, it's important to me. I am okay for now but want to have a plan in place if things were to change.

VanGrrl57

It should be easier to sleep during the day than at night since the regulations that do exist are in regard to overnight parking. Most free public parks close at night and cops will chase you out. During the day when you're parked there you're just another patron of the park.

Hello VG57.  Being a transplanted Texan who has twice made my home within 50 miles of Sioux Falls I have to ask,  Have you wintered in Sioux Falls in your van?  I've been up there when the wind chill was -51, It  was cold even in a small well insulated house with a good propane furnace.  SD has a good energy program to help people keep from freezing.  I do not know your situation however have you considered finding winter housing?  Sioux Falls has too many people for me.  There is always Tea, Lennox and Parker plus other small towns.  Would it be possible to make arrangements to sleep in the daytime where you work?  If the trucks don't keep you awake there used to be a smaller truck stop at Tea.  There are so many stores and apt. complexes I hope you find some spots to suit your needs.     Jewellann

VanGrrl57 said:
I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this. If not, please move it to where it needs to be. 

I am an overnight client advocate for a homeless shelter in Sioux Falls, SD. I have been living in my van at different friends' driveways as well as the state parks that are close by and doing okay so far but what I want to know is this: how would someone sleep during the day in a city scenario? Is it even doable? The cops are starting to get antsy about people living in their vehicles around here and they seem to be rousting people from the parks and other places from what I'm hearing.

Any ideas? Or am I going to have to get a job that lets me sleep during the night hours? :huh:

VanGrrl57

Any highway rest stops or truck stops close?

I would think having a night job is ideal as it should be much easier sleeping just about anywhere there are a lot of cars during the day. Park & Rides, Malls, Rest Areas, Train/Bus Stations, Library, Movie Theater, Parks, etc. I don't think many if any cops are rousting people sleeping during the day.

When I was doing insurance adjusting work I had to travel all over New England and whenever I had to be at an appointment on the other side of Boston, I'd leave a few hours early then find a place to sleep once I got closer to the appointment location. Thus avoiding all traffic and not losing any sleep to do it. I parked anywhere that looked comfortable and was never bothered once......many times on the street in the downtown area of what ever city I was in that day.

The thing I would be concerned with, stealth camping and sleeping during the day is the heat in the summer.....You would better find a nice shady spot.

I'm in a similar situation on the nights that I work. I recently cut down to working only 2 nights a week. When I get off at 5am, I go to either walmart or Home Depot and have never been bothered. I usually stay in the National Forrest about 60 miles away, but after my 12 hour overnight shift I don't always feel like driving that far.

Txjaybird said:
Hello VG57.  Being a transplanted Texan who has twice made my home within 50 miles of Sioux Falls I have to ask,  Have you wintered in Sioux Falls in your van?  I've been up there when the wind chill was -51, It  was cold even in a small well insulated house with a good propane furnace.  SD has a good energy program to help people keep from freezing.  I do not know your situation however have you considered finding winter housing?  Sioux Falls has too many people for me.  There is always Tea, Lennox and Parker plus other small towns.  Would it be possible to make arrangements to sleep in the daytime where you work?  If the trucks don't keep you awake there used to be a smaller truck stop at Tea.  There are so many stores and apt. complexes I hope you find some spots to suit your needs.     Jewellann

Hi Txjaybird (Jewellann).

No, I have not experienced a winter in my van. I just started living in my van full-time in the late spring. So, this will be interesting. However, if it gets too cold, I will figure something out. Yeah, I agree that Sioux Falls has way too many people but I work overnight at a homeless shelter and it's a job that I want to hang onto until I can take early retirement at 62 if I can. I also like working with the homeless and as a former homeless person, (when I first arrived with my daughter), it's a good fit for me. I can't sleep where I work because I'm a staff member and it's considered a conflict of interest. In fact, I can't stay at any of the shelters here because of being a staff member at a homeless shelter. It is what it is. 

VanGrrl57

I worked grave or swing most of my life. When I lived on a boat it worked out well for me. Marina management would check the parking lot at night to see who was living aboard. My vehicle was not there except week ends.

If you can find a quiet shady spot, I think you have it made.

poncho62 said:
The thing I would be concerned with, stealth camping and sleeping during the day is the heat in the summer.....You would better find a nice shady spot.

Yeah, that is what worries me since it was sweltering hot up until yesterday. The humidity was awful! I did go to Big Sioux Recreation Area in Brandon, SD and since I have a yearly state park pass, I was able to go into the day area of the park and I found a fairly shady spot. The only problem was that there are a bunch of kids making all sorts of noise. However, it's day hours so that's to be expected. It's a learning experience for me since I have never lived full-time in my van before. It's been about 3 months or so. I expect that it will take me some time to get the hang of it all. 

VanGrrl57  :)

There seem to be quite a few parks in Sioux Falls, maybe some of them are better than others for what you need.

Another idea might be contacting homeowners of more "casual"-looking homes with some land. Maybe they would let you park there.

You're not going to be sleeping in your van in winter in SD.

*update*

I have found some free campsites and a couple that are less than $12.00 to stay at. They aren't in Sioux Falls but they are close enough so that I can sleep during the day and make it in for work the nights I have to work overnight. In fact, I stayed at a free campsite in Humboldt, SD today and had no problems coming into work tonight. I feel better knowing I have a plan in place as a back-up if I need it.

VanGrrl57 :)

Great news! Peace of mind is a good feeling and I'm sure the quality of sleep you get when you're not worrying about being busted is so much better.

Having been moved again to night shift, having ear plugs helps deaden the major noises and still leaves room for my phone alarm to wake me.

Today is overcast...So not having to move....Tomorrow? That's another story....

Oh and I do have a O2Cool fan which runs off 3 volts (Off my 12V outlet) and so I am doing good with that....Now have to plan installing top vent in van since I am keeping it awhile longer.

Everything you can do to stay cool is worth it....Too many times I went into work at night just DRAINED from sleeping in the heat with nothing to cool me...Even the small fan I have helps a lot.

Are there any elevated parking lots where you live or close by ?

If they charged $20 a month you could check out the parking density on
the floors and find a comfortable place that is a bit secluded.  Then when
you pull in put one of those silver sun reflective windshield covers up
and fold down the sun visors to hold them in place.  They also make these for
driver and passenger windows too.

Or you could just get a shower curtain rod that is spring loaded with rubber
pads on either end to set up behind the driver & passengers seat at the roof line.
Then a beach towel could be hung on that as a privacy curtain.   And ice chest at
the bottom sit between the seats would just about cover your living area.  Leave
the front windows down an inch or so for ventilation.  

This is how I had my first Van set up (see my Van Conversion site below)

I remember traveling to some of the large Ohio Cities when I was job hunting.
I'd pull into these parking ports to rest up as they were way cheaper than
a Holiday Inn or a camp ground.  Safe,  quiet, up off the street with a breeze.
But monthly parking can be very reasonable.  Just shop around. 

If I were doing this,  I'd arrive in the morning and get out of the Van as if I were
going to work.  Get a bite to eat or have coffee or tea whatever before returning to the Van
an hour later.   Get in the van through the drivers door (so not to expose the interior set up)
and slip into the living area. Then set the clock and hit the sack.    I don't know what time you go
to work,  but I'd be ready to leave around 5pm.   I doubt you'd attract much attention.

Are you able to use the showers and bathrooms at the homeless shelter ?  Would you need to join a
downtown Gym for daily clean up ?  If you could find a Gym near a Parking Port you'd have everything
you'd need.  I'm sure that there would be some food places around there. 

If you work 11pm to 7am  you would have time to get to a grocery store to have some food items in the Van and add ice to your cooler.   I used to eat at Hospital cafeterias when I traveled also when I wanted something beside fast foods.

eDJ_ said:
Are there any elevated parking lots where you live or close by ?

If they charged $20 a month you could check out the parking density on
the floors and find a comfortable place that is a bit secluded.  Then when
you pull in put one of those silver sun reflective windshield covers up
and fold down the sun visors to hold them in place.  They also make these for
driver and passenger windows too.

Or you could just get a shower curtain rod that is spring loaded with rubber
pads on either end to set up behind the driver & passengers seat at the roof line.
Then a beach towel could be hung on that as a privacy curtain.   And ice chest at
the bottom sit between the seats would just about cover your living area.  Leave
the front windows down an inch or so for ventilation.  

This is how I had my first Van set up (see my Van Conversion site below)

I remember traveling to some of the large Ohio Cities when I was job hunting.
I'd pull into these parking ports to rest up as they were way cheaper than
a Holiday Inn or a camp ground.  Safe,  quiet, up off the street with a breeze.
But monthly parking can be very reasonable.  Just shop around. 

If I were doing this,  I'd arrive in the morning and get out of the Van as if I were
going to work.  Get a bite to eat or have coffee or tea whatever before returning to the Van
an hour later.   Get in the van through the drivers door (so not to expose the interior set up)
and slip into the living area. Then set the clock and hit the sack.    I don't know what time you go
to work,  but I'd be ready to leave around 5pm.   I doubt you'd attract much attention.

Are you able to use the showers and bathrooms at the homeless shelter ?  Would you need to join a
downtown Gym for daily clean up ?  If you could find a Gym near a Parking Port you'd have everything
you'd need.  I'm sure that there would be some food places around there. 

If you work 11pm to 7am  you would have time to get to a grocery store to have some food items in the Van and add ice to your cooler.   I used to eat at Hospital cafeterias when I traveled also when I wanted something beside fast foods.
I guess, in a way, you would also be providing some free added security.

I got free room (no board) at a small tire shop that way once, i was homeless, and the guy let me use a small TT in trade for watching the place
I know,off topic, my mind grabs stuff and my fingers type