single burner stove?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's cold I cook something that takes a long time and I have enough insulation to keep it warm for a long time. If it's really cold I may have to turn the stove on again later in the evening and then it's just an open flame. If it's really, really cold I may have to turn it on multiple times.

I never have it on unless I'm there watching it the whole time.
Bob

Off Grid 24/7 said:
If you have barn door side doors, put a flip up shelf on it and have an indoor/outdoor space for your double burner stove.

I find myself using both of my burners frequently, and often wish I had a third.

I agree with this tip, my stove is alcohol though. The shelf is very convenient to have.
IMGP1416.jpg

akrvbob said:
If it's cold I cook something that takes a long time and I have enough insulation to keep it warm for a long time. If it's really cold I may have to turn the stove on again later in the evening and then it's just an open flame. If it's really, really cold I may have to turn it on multiple times.

I never have it on unless I'm there watching it the whole time.
Bob

Bob, I thought you had an Olympia Wave heater?  :huh:

No, when I lived in Alaska for 6 years I owned two Olympians and they ran 24/7 all winter. When it was normal temps I just used the Wave 3 and when it got below zero I had to have it and the Wave 8 on at the same time. My box van was well insulated!

As a snowbird in the Lower 48 I avoid cold so I don't need much heat. I own a Mr. Buddy heater but I've only used it a few times in the last few years. I've loaned it to other people much more than I've used it. I'm probably going to sell it. The Coleman 1-burner is all I need and its cheap and easy to use.
Bob

I am very skeedish when it comes to gas and propane... So I decided on something that will suite me just find.. Solo Stove Wood Burning Backpacking Stove - Ultra Light Weight Compact Design Perfect for Survival, Camping, Hunting & Emergency Preparation. It 1. Uses twigs or Pine cones, 2. flattens down for storage 3. Just right for me since I will be mostly eating at work during the week day and only needing to use this on the weekend for sides since I also purchased the RoadPro 12-Volt Portable Stove, Black

akrvbob said:
No, when I lived in Alaska for 6 years I owned two Olympians and they ran 24/7 all winter. When it was normal temps I just used the Wave 3 and when it got below zero I had to have it and the Wave 8 on at the same time. My box van was well insulated!

As a snowbird in the Lower 48 I avoid cold so I don't need much heat. I own a Mr. Buddy heater but I've only used it a few times in the last few years. I've loaned it to other people much more than I've used it. I'm probably going to sell it. The Coleman 1-burner is all I need and its cheap and easy to use.
Bob

I thoght the stoves produce carbon monoxide , or is that only sometimes under certain conditions? :huh:

My stove has never set my carbon monoxide detector off even using it for heat. The risk is so minimal I don't consider it worth a thought.
Bob

Tkdplayer said:
I thoght the stoves produce carbon monoxide ,  or is that only sometimes under certain conditions?    :huh:

A while back I ran some tests with my carbon monoxide detector.

The ONLY heater that set it off was a Mr. Buddy heater.

The test included using both one burner and two burners on my stove, a 23k BTU Kerosene heater, a Mr. Buddy heater, and a Coleman Catalytic.

Each was run in my Chevy Hightop van for 6 hours with no ventilation.

At 20 minutes, the Mr. Buddy tripped the alarm.  None of the others did even after 6 hours.

Now I would normally never run ANY of these heaters/stoves without proper ventilation.  With proper ventilation they are all probably safe, but I would be most suspicious of the Buddy heater, and there is no replacement for proper ventilation and alarms.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
A while back I ran some tests with my carbon monoxide detector.

The ONLY heater that set it off was a Mr. Buddy heater.

The test included using both one burner and two burners on my stove, a 23k BTU Kerosene heater, a Mr. Buddy heater, and a Coleman Catalytic.

Each was run in my Chevy Hightop van for 6 hours with no ventilation.

At 20 minutes, the Mr. Buddy tripped the alarm.  None of the others did even after 6 hours.

Now I would normally never run ANY of these heaters/stoves without proper ventilation.  With proper ventilation they are all probably safe, but I would be most suspicious of the Buddy heater, and there is no replacement for proper ventilation and alarms.

Question? Was the buddy heater on high? I have read that they do not operate efficiently on low. Just wondering?

Baloo said:
Question? Was the buddy heater on high? I have read that they do not operate efficiently on low. Just wondering?

I ran them all very low, because that would be the best emulation to actual usage.  Under normal use they are only on high for a very short time then on very low for a prolonged time.

I know carbon monoxide can build up in a garage even with the door open , but I'll get a detector for when I'm using the stove.

lvalentine2010 said:
I am very skeedish when it comes to gas and propane... So I decided on something that will suite me just find..  Solo Stove Wood Burning Backpacking Stove

Since the question was about carbon monoxide hazard, I'll point out here that a wood stove produces more CO than pretty much any well-designed propane-fired device. Never burn charcoal or wood indoors without a proper flue. Most CO deaths are from people trying to heat their house with a charcoal grill after the gas company has disconnected them.

Jim