Leveling my stove...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacqueg

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure where to put this, so I'm putting it here, on the grounds that this forum might be the most visited!

Keeping my stove levelled is driving me nuts. My stove is the Coleman single burner, it has four leg pieces that appear to be some kind of plastic tipped with something like rubber.

I use carpenter's wooden shims, but they are only about 1/4" thick at the widest, and that is often not enough to really get the stove level. So I wind up stacking the shims, which is hardly ideal either.

I looked at the marine gimballed stoves, but they are way too spendy, and the consensus is that they can be tricky to cook on. Besides, I don't need something that reacts moment-to-moment.

I googled around and found that Camp Chef makes levellers for the legs of their stoves, but of course my stove doesn't have pipe legs. https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Le...amp+chef+stove+levelers&qid=1660852872&sr=8-3

Thought about ways to level my folding table, but it seems to me that building a self-leveling platform to support the stove would be easier to use, primarily because it wouldn't involve crawling around on the ground.

Any ideas on how to make one?

I am not the least bit mechanical. Could pay for someone to build one for me...

There is a possibilty most people outside of a current popular craft will likely not have heard of as it is part of that specific crafting supply needs. Doing colored epoxy resin pours is a big current crafting fad. Theyhave to do the pour on a level surface. So now people are selling small platform surfaces that can be put on counters or tabletops which are either self leveling or have short adjustable legs. Sometimes they even have a built in bubble level on them.

I will let you do your own search because you will have an opinion about looks and cost as well as size and ease of use. They are being sold on Amazon as well as places such as Etsy. There are YouTube videos showing people using them. An image search is also handy for quickly sorting out what looks good to you.

Your keywords for both a web search and YouTube search are epoxy resin leveling table. You can also switch it up by including the words "pour" "adjustable" etc.

Happy hunting, no need to invent a leveling surface.

Last edited:
HiYa Jacque

For less than the $20............... I could install 4 Nut-Serts into the bottom of the stove..........(1/4-20")

Then "bolts" could be screwed into the fittings to allow for leveling.....

The "bolt-heads" could be rubber covered.........or custom threaded thru a rubber Foot

Reach under and adjust

You could even have some Divots drilled in the dresser top to "catch" the rubber feet to keep the stove in place

Last edited:
Simplest would be a platform with threaded bolts for legs. Thread bolts in from top to adjust from top.

Just in case this question sounds really dumb, I am only in the planning stages and have not started a build yet. The leveling shelf/table idea; could it also be used with refrigerators? From what I am reading many of them have to be kept level to work properly. Just level the table/stand it is on instead of the entire truck? I believe I also read that there are marine refrigerators that do not need to be kept level. Comments welcome.

Only the propane refrigerators are super sensitive to being kept within a few degrees of level. The 12v/110v fridges are not that touchy. Of course you will not be comfortable camping at an extreme angle so you should not have any real issue with a fridge if it is not a propane unit. I like having my the head of my bed slightly higher than my feet so I typically park at a slight slope, it has never caused any issues with my electric only fridge.

If it's really a problem for you, I would remove the factory feet and install something like this. You can drill holes to accomidate the bolt, purchase nuts that will fit them, and using JB weld you can secure the nuts inside your stove. Then you can adjust your stove. As others have said, you should always seek the most level spot you can to minimize your adjustments.

1661051451247.png

Just in case this question sounds really dumb, I am only in the planning stages and have not started a build yet. The leveling shelf/table idea; could it also be used with refrigerators? From what I am reading many of them have to be kept level to work properly. Just level the table/stand it is on instead of the entire truck? I believe I also read that there are marine refrigerators that do not need to be kept level. Comments welcome.
I have a 12v fridge, and it doesn't care. If it's level enough for me, that's all that matters.

My bed is positioned across my van, and my bedding is arranged so that I can sleep either direction.

To clarify. Motorhomes and commercially made trailers which are in the same style typically have a fridge that primarily when at camp sites will use propane fuel. It might also have the ability to run on 12v or 110v power. Those are the fridges you need to worry about. But that type of fridge will be fixed in place so a leveling table is not going to be an option. Propane gas lines will be installed to it and it has to be vented to the outside too. So you need to level the vehicle instead.

The electric only fridges that can not run on propane gas are not nearly as leveling sensitive. You should not turn it upside down though, that actually is bad for them.🙃

Last edited:
Stop making sense. We're talking about fridges. Oh wait it's about leveling a stove. Carry on.

Old school matchbooks used to be handy for stuff like this...but who has matchbooks anymore? I think you can still find them on the counter in a few bars...usually advertising the local bail bond business.

There's a lesson there....I just cant figure out what it is.

:cool:

Of course I do not actually care if my skillet is perfectly level. I used to fuss a bit about it when I first started camping but learned to rotate the skillet for frying eggs, making pancakes etc to keep the spreading out fluid of those foods evened out while they were setting up.

It is much easier to level a three legged object than a four legged one. That is why the old style wood tables the British took to Cricket matches always had 3 legs in a triangle arrangement. So if you are going to build a base with adjustable feet only use 3 leveling feet on it.

Last edited:
For those especially tough leveling situations you could add a layer or two to those shims and carry a trio of them wherever you go. Stay on the level with ease but then.....'more stuff'.

I don't care if it's "perfectly level" either! Just that it not be an inch or more out of whack!
If it an inch or more out of whack don't shim the stove, shim your tires.

Old school matchbooks used to be handy for stuff like this...but who has matchbooks anymore? I think you can still find them on the counter in a few bars...usually advertising the local bail bond business.

There's a lesson there....I just cant figure out what it is.

:cool:
Fight uneven fire with fire starters?