single burner stove?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marigold

Reaction score
I got a little over zealous last fall and bought a 2 burner camp chef stove in preparation for my van kitchen, and now I have downsized counter space so much that I need something smaller.

Right now I'm using my backpacking stove, but I am looking for a very small single burner propane camp stove that is a little sturdier. The one's I've seen are about 15"x15", does anyone know of anything smaller?

Thanks!

Also, I have a camp chef stove for sale :)

I use a coleman perfectflow single burner, it sits on top of the 1 pound propane bottle and about 8" in diameter. I have seen a van that had one of these sunk into the counter top and hookup to a refillable propane bottle from under the counter. Not sure if the counter would get to hot set up like that.

If you have barn door side doors, put a flip up shelf on it and have an indoor/outdoor space for your double burner stove.

I find myself using both of my burners frequently, and often wish I had a third.

The texsport and Stansports are junk burners- low btu output and difficult to control.
I use an old coleman single burner. Mine is cut into a 1/16" aluminum sheet set into my counter with air space under.

I have had a few different stoves in the van. My Coleman single and 2 burner didn't stand up to my rigorous cooking schedule...I cook a lot of big meals, often. Eventually it stopped flowing and I got rid of it. I tried to buy another small stove but found a Stansport(like the Camp Chef but a lesser brand.) 70,000 btu two burner marked down to $50 from $110 and then I used a 10% off coupon, out the door for $45. I've had it for 15 months and it still works like the day I got it.

I took out the front passenger seat to fit it in there and it doubles as a table. When I get a larger/longer rig I will likely take the legs off and build it into a countertop with a sink and drawers.

The best part is the cost of propane, I spend FAR less now than I did when I was stuck buying those little green cans. The Blue Rhino is $20 each exchange and I only have to exchange it 3-4 times a year.

single burner propane stoves are very hard to find, other then the camp ones, that sit on top of gaz bottles, or are large like you mentioned, Rinnai used to make one that was ideal at less then 10 x10 inches made of steel with a controller on the front like a normal two burner stove, but I don' think they make it anymore, another I saw once I think it was called a Challenger, it was about 12x12. there must not be much of a market for them. I hunted for a long time for one, missed out on a second hand Rinnai then stumbled on a two burner and made it work.

I am going to add one of the original Coleman single burner 500 series gasoline stoves to my collection. It’s going to replace an alcohol stove I use inside my camper and just might replace my 2 burner gasoline stove to save space and weight.

The new dual fuel stoves are junk and I can’t see buying a new one for $70 when a $5-10 500 series will eventually be found at a yard sale/flea market and will be in service just with a good cleaning.

coleman_stove01.jpg

I have never had a stability problem with my tall coleman stove, it has always worked great. However I would like to make a stand for it or set it in a counter top so I can hookup a large propane bottle to it instead of the 1lb cans.

I use my Coleman propane stove as my main source of heat so having it hooked up to a refillable bottle is critical. As is stability.
Bob

smal green propane bottle will fit in a 4in pvc pipe. cut a 4in peace and then cut a peace of plywood to fit inside pipe and attach this with screws through side at bottom to make a holder for propane. this can be attached to any surface. make several and use them for safe storage of tanks

thanks everyone, those look like some good options. I found a rinnai single burner on ebay, might be an option but a little pricey. Also cidx makes a pretty small one, anyone heard of this kind? Look like most brands for this kind of thing are from overseas, which makes sense as it's the norm for cooking in many places in Asia!

I haven't found a propane tank yet, it looks like what will fit under my van is a narrow 3 gallon westy tank but man they are expensive.

I saw some small 1 gallon refillable propane bottles for pretty cheap somewhere, is that what you use rvbob? How do you fill them?

akrvbob said:
The really tall Coleman stoves scare me so I use this one instead because it lays flat on the floor.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000020931-PowerPack-1-Burner-Stove/dp/B0009PUS6M/

I've been using it for many years an it's by far the best choice for me!
Bob
Looks good for a one burner. I like it. I have a small two burner that I use with an adapter that attaches to a 20lb tank. The stove is an older century/primus that has a hose instead of the steel tubing that the newer one have. Picked mine up at a pawn shop in mint condition for ten bucks. I might cry when I have to replace it :)

That coleman does seem like a good one, the price is right and it rests on the counter, I like it.

I use a refillable bottle just like the standard 20 pound, 5 gallon ones used for barbecues. You can buy them in smaller sizes. I have a 2 1/2 gallon bottle is the same width as a 5 gallon but it is half as tall. They also make a 1 gallon refillable bottle that is very small and easy to fit inside the van. I've never had any problem getting mine refilled at any place that sells propane. They all laugh at how small it is, then they fill it! :p

They are expensive because they don't sell many of them. The 1 gallon costs $53 on amazon. Get it here:
http://www.amazon.com/Worthington-281149-1-Gallon-Cylinder-Prevention/dp/B000SKX63U/

and Ace hardware sells them online but most of their stores don't have them. You can get it delivered to your local store.

Bob

thanks rv bob, have you ever had a problem with leaks keeping that inside the van? No safety issue with it inside? Do you have any estimate how many meals/ days you can cook off of any of your various sized bottles?

I once had the crimp on a hose fail out of the blue--all of a sudden it was a blow torch. But it was at the stove and had nothing to do with the bottle. Because the bottle was close I could just reach over and turn off the valve and no harm was done.

That hose was very old, I think maybe 5 years old. Now I replace all my hoses every 2 years so it won't happen again.
Bob

akrvbob said:
I use my Coleman propane stove as my main source of heat so having it hooked up to a refillable bottle is critical. As is stability.
Bob

Bob, when you use it for heat, do you run it with an open flame or only the heat produced from cooking?

marigold make sure those stoves from asia are propane and not butane. many of those are butane. highdesertranger