Simple Versus Elaborate Buildout

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plant

Reaction score
I'm wondering about how you guys have chosen between a simple van build versus a major van build, and why you arrived at your choice.  

When I first started imagining my upcoming build, it was full plumbing with tanks supporting shower, toilet and sink.  Powered by solar and propane, topped off with a hightop and cabinets.   Basically a DIY Roadtek.  

I'm now evolving my though, and wondering if a basic build might be a better way to go.  No hightop for now.  Built in cooktop and fridge, but plumbing limited to clean and grey water along with a simple sink.  I guess the exact specs are a bit fuzzy, but the decision between simple versus elaborate seems to be leaning simple for me at this point.  

I'd love to hear from those that have experience or have juggled these balls.

I had decided before I started that I didn't want or need plumbing or tanks. Water in jugs would be fine. Sponge baths supplemented by the occasional truck stop or campground shower would also be fine. I also figured a large bowl would work well as a sink -- and as a bowl when needed. I didn't need a stove mounted in a counter. I didn't need a microwave. And I was good with a poop bucket. I MIGHT have gotten a high top if I had happened to find one in good condition, but a mechanically solid van was most important. The one thing I would absolutely need was a fridge, which meant solar. And I didn't want to sleep in anything narrower than a twin mattress, and it had to be an actual mattress.

I'm in my sixth year living in the van full time, and I don't regret not having something fancier. It works for me.

My recommendation for others, if they can work it, is to start out with really minimal stuff, try it for a while, then judge what more you absolutely need. You can also use that trial period learning what arrangement of stuff actually works for you. Other vanners post rather detailed floorplans and even 3D renderings, and I think, well, it looks good on paper but you don't really know how it will function for you until it's reality.

IMO, if this is your first ever build, keep it simple! The reason, until you've actually lived on the road, you really are only using imagination as to what you will need or want.

By keeping it simple, you're not putting that much effort, time or money in to the build. Six months from start time, you'll have a much better idea of what YOU actually want and need. Particularly if you get a chance to wander around at the RTR and check out how other vans are built out!

For me, it definitely wasn't my first rodeo, I've had vans and RVs since 1975. I had lived on the road full-time for 14 years previously. I knew exactly what it would take in the way of a build to make my life easy and happy. After three years of full-timing it in the van, it's still exactly what I need.

I did not plumb in holding tanks - no dump station finding and fees to worry about. I did invest in a C-Head toilet - no water usage, no smell and no dump fees. I do have a permanently mounted sink but it drains to a 2 1/2 gallon jug that I remove and empty. I have a full-size twin bed with a real mattress and bedding. I also have a fridge and a deep freeze because I knew that having proper and sufficient food storage was going to be vital. I use a solar shower (weed sprayer tank) and a privacy shelter for showers in between paying for showers wherever I find them. I use a single burner butane stove most of the time but also carry a 2 burner propane stove for cooking outside.

Thanks for the replies so far sharing your experiences. Helpful.

I think there is a lot of wisdom in knowing that down the road I will know more than I do now as to what is important. What I do know is what is important to me now; simplicity and generally placing a higher significance on less clutter, cooking since I eat a plant based diet and cooking is necessary for most meals, a decent amount of solar to power a bass guitar amplifier since music is important. Other life necessities are related to happiness and well being more than convenience.

My direction definitely seems to be going to the simpler side.

MrNoodly said:
Water in jugs would be fine. Sponge baths  I didn't need a stove mounted in a counter. I didn't need a microwave. And I was good with a poop bucket. ...The one thing I would absolutely need was a fridge, which meant solar. 
I also use water in jugs and dispose of locally, I use plastic dish pans instead of an installed sink, The stove is mounted so I don't have to set it up before cooking or heating water, I use a kettle to heat water on the stove, I have an efficient cooler and rechargable solar lights, so far no need for solar on top of the van.  I use rubbermaid bins instead of cabinetry.  They nest in each other and don't slide around much. I can clean off the tops of the bins when I get a mouse, instead of cleaning up a bunch of fouled drawers.  I have a four foot wide bed across the back of the van, and did not need a high top to stand up in my van. I use the bucket system rarely, usually public toilets as I am in town. I use shore power (laundromat) or my generator to charge up stuff, run power tools, and jump start the battery as needed. I have a garage behind the bed where the generator and tools live. I don't notice any fumes from having the generator inside the van as the garage is mostly blocked off from the main area in the van. I use the same reflective sun shields in the van for privacy and to keep in heat. I plan to build a bulkhead behind the seats for stealth and storage options. My interior including a new cooler and range cost less than $750, but I am not totally "done" yet.   Long live the van!
This year I switched from a 4x4 pickup to a van.  I have not missed the four wheel drive so far. I love having everything in one space and being able to stand up in it, but I miss having a tailgate to sit on and the extra shelter of the flip up back window.     ~crofter

I recently went on the road a few weeks to test out the basics and was able to decide what would be nice upgrades.
I would like outside patio area with shade and table, also stove and pans beyond my backpacking kit.
A shower tent / bathroom seems appropriate. I really didn't need much to be OK
I was surprised how long it took to clean up and how little things kept hiding from me - like my glasses!
My thoughts are a test run with items you mostly have available before some extra purchases.
Sleeping as comfortable as possible and manage the cold nights or hot days was a big plus.
Currently downsizing so I can reward myself with getting back on the road
I did see some really great build-outs vans for fairly new nomads and they did very well

crofter said:
...The stove is mounted so I don't have to set it up before cooking or heating water...
My counter is only about 24" by 24" and I use it for food prep and stuff. I put my butane stove on top of its case on the floor when I use it then pack it up after it cools and stow it next to the driver seat.

crofter said:
I don't notice any fumes from having the generator inside the van as the garage is mostly blocked off from the main area in the van.

Pics/video, please!

I have an extended chevy express and plan to build an insulated partition right behind the rear wheel wells. The purpose is to separate the living area from the garage and to house an AC unit.

I have pondered over the idea if I could run a generator in the garage area to cut down on the noise  / if it is safe enough to do. As I don't know how airtight it will really be from the living area.

I would keep it simple to start and learn from it what you really need / don't and how you want to lay it out.

I'm in the Tampa Bay FL area and almost every van that is for sale is overpriced. At least those that are extended. Every time a really good deal pops up, which isn't very often, it's sold before I ever have a chance to buy.

So I just got tired of waiting and purchased an older model with higher miles than I really wanted, but got it cheap and it has a solid motor / tranny but was in need of some other work. Which I'm slowly building out pretty simple and when I do find a good deal on a later model / lower miles, I will just transfer what I have done to it to the new van.

I actually just started on the van recently as I have been waiting for cooler weather. As I had no desire to be working on it in 90-degree weather.

There are tons of videos on YT that you can get great ideas on how to keep it simple but functional.

My biggest thing is staying comfortable temperature wise. Everything else is very easily adaptable for me. Heat is simple and cheap. Staying cool is a whole other ball game. I will likely leave FL as it is just too hot in the summer and will still one way or the other have some form of AC and be able to stay comfortable or I will scrap the whole van life idea.

RogerD said:
I have pondered over the idea if I could run a generator in the garage area to cut down on the noise  / if it is safe enough to do. As I don't know how airtight it will really be from the living area.

I just store my generator in the garage, but when running it is outside on the ground with the cord coming in through a window or door. I would never run a generator inside a small space due to fumes. You could use a receiver hitch extender and cargo carrier and have the generator mounted to run there, but you would pick up more noise and vibration than if it was sitting on the ground. 

https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-deluxe-cargo-carrier-66983.html

I saw one rig with a video that had a large garage all the way to the roof, and held the solar controller, batteries, and a regular window air conditioner.  You will want to check that out if you are in a sunny area. Here's an example, and there are other setups also that I can't find now. ~crofter

I've seen exhaust tubes that you can buy for Honda generators and you could pipe the exhaust out of the van. Have to assume the safety may still questionable? I thought maybe you were doing something like that, as it sounded like you were running the generator in the garage area.

The YT video is exactly how I was planning to install the AC in a rear partition.

I also plan to buy a Zero Breeze ([font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]1100 BTU AC good for up to 50 sq ft) [/font]and test it. My bed area will be about 27 sq ft and I would use it just for it. I'm hoping it will work, as it would need far less energy and I would just run the window AC from the generator or shore power.

'I've seen exhaust tubes that you can buy for Honda generators and you could pipe the exhaust out of the van. Have to assume the safety may still questionable?"'

RogerD………………………...Please don't run ANY generator in your Van "garage"...……...that's sure to win you a Darwin Award

And don't waste your money testing the Zero Breeze...use your COMMON SENSE.....just look at the product....read some reviews...…..it's a TOY

I believe that after spending a Winter (cold weather) in a standard van where squatting is neccesary, you may appreciate the high top version. I would keep everything modular in order to move it around, or completely out of the van. This will be a time saver should you decide to upgrade, and also far less initial work. Spend some of your time in the camp areas researching/developing your schematic for your dream van for a future build.

Going simple will show you very soon what you value, and need.

Please get an RV rated CO detector also as the exhaust may blow up under the van (wind) an seep into your sleeping quarters. One is good to have in any case along with a propane detector (if you carry propane) and a smoke detector. Let's keep it safe out there guy's and gal's.

Besides an exhaust going directly outside the van, I'd want the area to have a large vent to the outside as well. If I were considering it. Personally, doesn't sound like a great idea to me as I don't think it I would be comfortable with the safety of it all.

I keep it simple for a couple of reasons. Since I am mostly an urban camper, there's a lot of things--such as a fridge--that I simply don't need. Since I am mobile and can move with the climate, there are more things--such as heaters and AC--that I simply don't need. Since I am an old backpacker and am accustomed to having virtually nothing (which I carry on my back), my needs are pretty minimalist anyway so I don't need much. And since I view the van mostly as just a movable tent to sleep in, I'm not in it very much anyway and have no need for a lot of stuff.

My van has a cot and sleeping bags, a hand-cranked laundry machine, a fish-cleaning sink, an emergency bucket toilet, a 100w solar panel system, a homemade alcohol stove for cooking, and that's about it.That's all I need. With that, I have traveled coast to coast and border to border.

Simple vs Elaborate

My first van was a passenger van that I built out to suit my needs.  It had the fold down rear bench seat.  The first trip out was six weeks.  I removed the center row passenger side seat, used plastic drawer units, backpacking stove, large coffee can as toilet, water jugs, collapsible basin.  I learned many things that trip!

First, the cooler needed to be relocated.  It was heavy when full and to have to take it out to drain, clean, refill was really difficult for me.  So the buildout floor plan was based around where to place the cooler.  Ended up at the rear door, along the wall.  All I had to do was open the back door, pull it out a couple of inches, pop the drain plug and done.  Everything else was planned around that because on the first trip, it didn't take me long to realize that I was losing the battle to get to the cooler!

Second, that bench seat "bed" was AWFUL!! I added several foam pads along the way that first trip and it was still AWFUL!  And the power mechanism underneath it took up a LOT of space.  So I built my own bed along the driver's side wall.  Which also allowed me to use the rear doors as an exit if I wanted.  

I ended up carrying water in one gallon jugs because anything bigger was just heavy and difficult for me to handle.  Used all camping gear (solar/battery operated lantern, Coleman stove, collapsible basin, Mr Heater Buddy heater). Never had to worry about water lines freezing, dumping tanks, battery maintenance.  If it was going to be REALLY cold, I checked into a park with hookups and used a heavy duty extension cord out the side vent window to run a small electric heater (mostly for my little dogs).  I'd also do laundry etc then.

After a few years of that, I acquired a Pleasure Way Class B with all the bells and whistles.  It was fine as long as I didn't stay long anywhere or was in a park with full hookups.  Why?  Too much time spent maintaining everything.  Didn't use the shower much because then I'd have to dump tanks.  Didn't use the toilet for the same reason.  The generator was a PITA, noisy, and if the wind was blowing in the right direction, I'd get fumes inside.  The fridge was nice, it was a three-way, so it would run on propane.  But then I had to keep an eye on that and make sure it was switched when running or parked.  Kept it a year and sold it!

I'm now off the road in a house, but if I were going to do this again, it would be the simple way!  The One Thing I would do differently would be a high top that I could stand in.

Each to his/her own.  But to have to worry about all the maintenance and upkeep of those systems just wasn't worth it to me.

Take a trip first and find out what you need, want and what works for you!

RogerD said:
My biggest thing is staying comfortable temperature wise. Everything else is very easily adaptable for me. Heat is simple and cheap. Staying cool is a whole other ball game. I will likely leave FL as it is just too hot in the summer and will still one way or the other have some form of AC and be able to stay comfortable or I will scrap the whole van life idea.

Indeed, keeping cool in the heat is THE hardest part of vandwelling, much harder than keeping warm in winter. And sadly there is no good easy cheap solution. The laws of thermodynamics are against you.

ACs require a LOT of power, and that means either shore power, a generator, or a very large solar panel array (and a very large wallet). If you are not actively cooling the air (and that requires an AC of some sort) the BEST you can do is use ventilation and shade to keep the temp inside the van the same as the temp outside the van. Forget all those ice fans and DIY swamp coolers you see on YouTube--they will not do the job.

The simplest solution is of course to move with the weather, and go north in summer where it's cooler and south in winter where it's warmer.

When I get caught in an area that is hot, I deal with it in a low-tech way--I am not in the van while it's hot out. I do all my housekeeping stuff in the morning while it's still cool, and then I leave and spend the whole day in a museum or mall or library or whatever, and don't go back to the van till the sun is down and it's cooled off. If it's still warm inside the van, I put on a wet t-shirt and aim a small fan right at me--that's usually enough to keep me cool till I fall asleep. 

It has taken me everywhere from Miami to Tucson.

Plant said:
I'm wondering about how you guys have chosen between a simple van build versus a major van build, and why you arrived at your choice.  

When I first started imagining my upcoming build, it was full plumbing with tanks supporting shower, toilet and sink.  Powered by solar and propane, topped off with a hightop and cabinets.   Basically a DIY Roadtek.  

I'm now evolving my though, and wondering if a basic build might be a better way to go.  No hightop for now.  Built in cooktop and fridge, but plumbing limited to clean and grey water along with a simple sink.  I guess the exact specs are a bit fuzzy, but the decision between simple versus elaborate seems to be leaning simple for me at this point.  

I'd love to hear from those that have experience or have juggled these balls.
It was never a difficult choice for me. Simpler is always better, IMNSHO.

You’re living in a van, not a house. Your basic needs for food, water, shelter can be solved in a multitude of ways. Just ponder the many things humans have done in different places to meet those needs, and it will become apparent that that there is no such thing as a standard or best way to meet those basic needs. 

First question to ask yourself is what kind of traveling/camping you will be doing the most. Then target what you need. Second question to ask yourself is whether you want to maintain whatever system it is you are contemplating. If you personally don’t want to do it, then maybe you should contemplate choosing another system.

For example, I’ll never have a shower in my van, just a basin for sponge baths. I know people do van showers successfully, that’s not the question. The question is whether or not it’s worth dealing with heating sufficient water, controlling all that moisture, and even a wastewater holding tank, and for me, it’s not. That usually means I can’t stay in a regular RV campground, and that’s also just fine with me, since those places are not what I mean when I say I’m going camping.

abnorm said:
And don't waste your money testing the Zero Breeze...use your COMMON SENSE.....just look at the product....read some reviews...…..it's a TOY

I have seen mixed reviews. However, I have seen enough good ones to make me want to test it.

I will wait till next summer before purchasing, no sense getting right now. Maybe by then, they will come out with an updated model.

Latest posts