Sick in a Small Space?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindyLee

Reaction score
Curious about this since I'm currently nursing the flu or some such other yucky crud. For you fill-timers, particularly van and other small vehicle dwellers...how do you handle being sick? Do you find it more difficult than being sick in a traditional home, due to space, parking or other factors? If you get sick near time to move, do you stay put longer or move anyway?

Any input appreciated

Good question! I'm also going through some horrible cold or flu that includes puking my guts up! I thought about what I would be doing if I were in my van. I actually have a tub from the hospital that I lined with plastic bags to get sick in (I didn't need it as I made it to the bathroom each time). Diarrhea would have been horrible, but I guess I would deal with that as well. I've gone through 3 or 4 boxes of kleenex, so that's a lot of trash to haul out! Would like to hear how y'all have handled this, too!

AbuelaLoca said:
Good question! I'm also going through some horrible cold or flu that includes puking my guts up! I thought about what I would be doing if I were in my van. I actually have a tub from the hospital that I lined with plastic bags to get sick in (I didn't need it as I made it to the bathroom each time). Diarrhea would have been horrible, but I guess I would deal with that as well. I've gone through 3 or 4 boxes of kleenex, so that's a lot of trash to haul out! Would like to hear how y'all have handled this, too!

Thankfully no tummy troubles here (well, mostly)...hope you feel better fast!

It would be just like getting sick in a sticks and bricks, I reckon. Get some juice, water, meds, have the 5 gallon bucket clean and ready, go to a campground and lie low.

The lack of space doesn't really make a huge difference for me. The lack of bathroom and climate control has more of an impact. I will occasionally get a motel room for a couple of nights to ride things out if I'm really sick, or at least go somewhere I can park right next to a bathroom and trashcan.

I'd likely do the same as Reducto, there's a lot to be said for flush toilets when one end or the others is emitting vile smelling stuff

Must have two 5 gallon buckets, one to sit on, the other to hug.  Walmart sells "underpads" that are 2 ft by 3 ft paper felt with plastic backing.  An extra roll of paper towels and toilet paper are well worth the space they take.  The upholstered and carpeted minivan interior would be hard to clean up.

Generally in Florida cold is not a problem.  When sick a motel really helps.  Cold gets miserable when sick.  I expect summer peak heat and humidity would be unpleasant, hope to not find out.  Sickness seems more prevalent in winter.

I've thought about this. I plan to have like a few "sick" things on hand like ginger ale and chicken soup for just in case perhaps some brandy...just for the spirit. And I've decided if I'm just really, really, sick. I will check into a hotel for a couple days! <3

And you people are EXACTLY why I avoid hotels like the plague!!!  It would seem that they are infected with the plague by you people!!!   :D 

This is a good topic. I have not been sick in longer than I can remember. Since I no longer have young kids around me... (public schools are really a disease exchange program).

I have zicam in case I pickup a cold. First sign of a cold..I use it...never get the cold.
(Zicam is the only stuff allowed to use the words "cold remedy" on their label).

I spent nearly 20 years moving around in a car..often living out of the car...never really got sick. I think it is because I wasn't being exposed to a lot of sick people all the time. (Remind me to stay out of the hotels and motels you all are using)

I have found I don't get sick as much living without people around but when I have to go to town I catch every thing much more easily. I take vitamins and supplements as well as a decongestant a few days before I go, use wipes constantly while traveling and in town as well as multiple hand washings. I open doors with one finger and keep hands away from my mouth and nose. Flue shots seem to work for me in my situation. I guess you learn to do a better job of taking care of yourself when the doctor is a helicopter ride or a days drive away!

Trebor English said:
Must have two 5 gallon buckets, one to sit on, the other to hug.  Walmart sells "underpads" that are 2 ft by 3 ft paper felt with plastic backing.  An extra roll of paper towels and toilet paper are well worth the space they take.  
When I'm sick I just lay low and rest. In case of being sick to the point of needing the buckets, I have an 8 gallon trash can that I keep lined with the appropriate size bag, and intend to use it in case I get the heaves. Trash bags are cheap. (haven't needed it so far, knock on wood.)
Other than that, I keep plenty of vitamin C on hand, as well as Aspirin, juice, plenty of toilet paper and paper towels.
This flu that has been going around is horrible. Try to stay healthy folks.

I haven't been sick, sick  but I'd rather be sick in a small space than a large place. I'm 3 steps from the toilet if I'm in bed, 2 if I'm in my chair. I have an extra bucket around if needed and I keep the pantry and freezer stocked with easy to prep foods. I'd also prefer MY bed to a hotel bed any day!

The medicine 'basket' is also fully equipped to deal with most anything.

The last time I was under the weather it was with a cold, I managed to only pass it on to one person in a camp of 7 or 8! Course I was forced to sit on the far side of the campfire all by myself.... :rolleyes: 

If you're near friends, they can be truly wonderful in bringing you comfort foods!... :D and running to the store if you need something.

Almost There said:
The last time I was under the weather it was with a cold, I managed to only pass it on to one person in a camp of 7 or 8! Course I was forced to sit on the far side of the campfire all by myself.... :rolleyes:
I will usually put myself in exile when I'm sick. Fortunately my friends gave it to me this time around, so they cannot blame me. :p

I find I'm sick way less often as a nomad because I'm around way fewer illness-bearing people.

In 15 years a nomad, this has never been an issue for me. Normal colds and flus are no different in a van than anywhere else and they are much less frequent.

Their are many critical issues leading to good health, but at the very top of the list for me is peace of heart and mind that essentially eliminates stress. I've got that in spades as a nomad.

I usually keep a supply of stuff I would need when I'm sick, so I won't have to go to the store. If you're going to get sick, you won't get a lot of warning, so it's better to have it ready. I keep handy: Ibuprofen, Sudafed antihistamine, Kleenex, Gatorade, Immodium, Pepto Bismol, the Walmart version of Tums (it tastes better). I also keep a dollar store wastebasket handy for vomiting.

I learned something that seems valuable to me from a veterinarian I worked for. People tend to mix colds and allergy attacks, when they are two entirely separate things. The vet said, if you don't have an elevated temperature, you're having an allergy attack, not a cold. If you don't deal with it immediately, it will turn into a sinus infection. Now, as soon as I develop a headache and a runny nose, I run for the Ibuprofen and Sudafed (generic). If I delay dealing with it, it gets out of hand, and I get sick.

There isn't much you can do with the intestinal flu or food poisoning. If you've got something nasty inside, you have to let it escape. Don't bother taking oral meds until the vomiting is mostly stopped, because it won't stay down. Don't take the Immodium until the worst of the diarrhea is over, because you don't want to retain nasty stuff inside. Take the recommended dosages, don't over-do it; more is not better.

VanKitten said:
  Since I no longer have young kids around me... (public schools are really a disease exchange program).

This is TRUTH!  My grandbabies leave and I have a sore throat and cough 3 days later.  This has been my entire 2 years!  lol <3 Maybe I will be healthier on the road?!

Gigi: "Maybe I will be healthier on the road?!"

Only if you stay away from kids! Pets are much, much safer.

Tell that to the few lucky people who get the plague from fleas in New Mexico and California every year. Don't let you pet or yourself play with wildlife live or dead as fleas are always looking for warm bodies.