Shower tent question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kklowell

Reaction score
If you use a shower tent, how do you get dressed after your shower? Do you take clothes in the tent with you, perhaps in a plastic bag, or do you get dressed back in your vehicle? I'm thinking ahead here as I will be taking a multi-week road trip in the fall of 2022.

we had a bar to hold the double doors open, a tarp and usually wore bathing suits if in a populated area. Then we had one of the two room shower tents and it worked fine for about 2 years then the zippers started breaking and jumping out of alignment. My personal opinion is you would be money ahead to buy a pop up tent and modify it to meet your needs. We ended up getting a quality spring bar Kodiak tent. We usually dry everything off and then get dressed out of hanging dry bags.

Of course I would have repaced the zippper instead of tossing out the tent if the rest of the tent was in good shape.

But it does bring up an important point...protect your investment in tents by purchasing zipper lubricant made for use on outdoor gear, such as tents, duffels, sleeping bags and outer wear jackets. you can purchase it in sporting goods stores or online. It works great, keeps zippers gliding instead of binding.

The shower tent we had had hanging clothes bags in the dry change portion tiny toothed plastic zippers that wore out after two years of use being maintained and lubricated but unless the floor was perfectly level it put a lot of stress on the bottom of the door opening. We eventually sewed on heavy duty Velcro but it got dirty easily and eventually just got to be too much hassle and too much space. The tent was multiuse and a better solution for us. The shower tent was quick and easier to put up and take down it just didn't last.

bullfrog said:
The shower tent we had had hanging clothes bags in the dry change portion .
The shower tent was quick and easier to put up and take down it just didn't last.
The first line answers one of my questions, thanks. The second one brings up a question which is, your usage was with full-time living on the road?   If so, I'd wonder if someone like myself who would use it a month or two in a year would find it lasted a long time.

^^^Yes it probably would but not as long as a quality tent, and the tent can be used for many other things as well. We really liked how easy it was to use as a bathroom shower.

bullfrog said:
 We really liked how easy it was to use as a bathroom shower.

The shower tent? Do you know what brand it was?

Ozark Trails I believe Walmart carried it. It was dark gray/light gray, two room with a easy up spring loaded type frame. Fairly expensive a few years ago. One person can put it up but it is easier with two.

Valet, or no?  (Sorry :D .)  My shower tent is one of those round, pop-up types.  I've had it for about 10 years.  $30 at Bass Pro back then.  Have used it intermittently.  There are some small dry-rot holes that really make no difference at this point, since it's not water proof anyway (no rainfly).  One of the webbed stake loops has torn away from the tent.  Otherwise, no issues.

There are two clotheslines on the outside.  One has a zippered slot above it for access from the inside, which is handy for a dry towel or even a robe.  I've done this where it's chilly.  You'll have to call the valet if you drop it though.  There are a couple of clear pockets inside with the opening facing the tent wall.  They are not very big, but okay for something small.  Nothing wrong with a waterproof tote bag inside, either.  I usually sit on a stool and have pretty good control of the wand, so it hasn't been an issue.

I looked at the tent idea and ruled it out. You had to set it up, then wait for it to dry out, then take it down. I went with a tarp over my back van doors. Quick up and down, easy access to your clothes and towel, and can be replaced for about $10.

[ATTACH=full said:
28909[/ATTACH]Tony's Dream pid='542740' dateline='1625436951']I looked at the tent idea and ruled it out.  You had to set it up, then wait for it to dry out, then take it down.  I went with a tarp over my back van doors.  Quick up and down, easy access to your clothes and towel, and can be replaced for about $10.
I don't have a van... the picture shows the back of my "cramper"

Attachments

• cramper back.jpg
    cramper back.jpg
    477 KB · Views: 24
Yep, from 10-15 feet it looks perfect! LOL The issue is that it leaks around the top, so I think I need a flap or visor over it. But, it works, which is all I was hoping for.

I can see where my idea would not work. I would strongly consider an awning to shed the water off your back door.

I did buy a tarp for use when I'm parked, sort of a rain fly type of arrangement that allows me to cover the entire cramper, and with the use of ropes and two poles create an awning that extends a few feet past the back. It allows me to keep the windows open as well. However, it's not possible to use this while driving in the rain for obvious reasons.

I don’t bother with a tent, I use a swimsuit, i ditched the showers as well, a small bucket of water and one of my cooking pots. Warm water in the sun or from a couple of boiled pots off the stove mixed in, pour water over body with pot, soap up, rinse the same way, job done, no shame in washing.

flying kurbmaster said:
I don’t bother with a tent, I use a swimsuit, i ditched the showers as well, a small bucket of water and one of my cooking pots. Warm water in the sun or from a couple of boiled pots off the stove mixed in, pour water over body with pot, soap up, rinse the same way, job done, no shame in washing.

I have done the swim suit method too.  Or setting things up and taking a quick shower in total darkness behind the van. :)

I used a gigatent stinky pete and was happy with it, was sturdy and roomy. I used it every day for about 6 months before the bottom zippers started going. Probably could have cleaned the soap out of the zipper.

Roomy enough to dress in there, there are places to hang your stuff, and I also put a collapsible stool in there to keep clothes and shoes dry. I used a water heater pan to stand in so no sharp rocks etc on the feet.
-crofter

https://www.gigatent.com/catalog/stinky-pete-deluxe/

I use a two room shower tent.

s-l500.png

It only takes up a little more room collapsed than a single room tent would. and allows me to have a wet side and a dry side. I set up my toilet on the dry side and I shower on the wet side. I also get dressed on the dry side.

Attachments

• s-l500.png
    s-l500.png
    219.3 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts