Screen door on a Haulmark 6x12 cargo trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Florida boondocker said:
Dogs jumping through ???? 

i have a rottweiler and 1 day i left her in the truck while stopped at WaWa for coffee and 
she hit the window button and was off ....

free spirit ... wonder where she learned that

Amazingly enough, mine don't.  They sat in Jim and Gunny's trailers several different times, with just the screen door.  They didn't jump through.  Even when I left and left them in there.  Jim would confirm this, I'm sure.

And like I said, I've left them in the Jeep or F150 for years and not jumped out, with the windows completely down.

I want to thank everybody for the creative ideas. My very first Social Security (SSA) check was deposited into my Bank last night! Yay! I'm actually proud of myself for accepting my situation and living within my limitations for the last week. Heading for Co Springs today. Need to get some important stuff out of my Storage unit.

So, I will be unresponsive... but not ignoring...

Thanks again,

I read several great potential solutions.

Pat

I want to thank everybody for the creative ideas. Heading for Co Springs today. Need to get some important stuff out of my Storage unit.

So, I will be unresponsive... but not ignoring...

Thanks again,

I read several great potential solutions.

Pat

gargoyle said:
Buy one of those "Magic Screens" as seen on TV. ~$20. Trim to fit.
Done.

Hey Pat, this is exactly what I did on my trailer side door. mine is 36'' wide so not much chance of finding a normal screen RV door to fit. I bought it off Amazon for something like $17. It's 38'' wide which is perfect. I trimmed the bottom to fit then wrapped it with Gaffers tape for now. I just use a ball bungie on each side to keep it out of the way when I don't need it. I did see the other day that the self sticking tape on the velcro across the top had released due to heating cooling cycles. I put it back up and it held, but I'll probably reinforce it with thumb tacks or something.

masterplumber said:
Hey Pat, this is exactly what I did on my trailer side door. mine is 36'' wide so not much chance of finding a normal screen RV door to fit. I bought it off Amazon for something like $17. It's 38'' wide which is perfect. I trimmed the bottom to fit then wrapped it with Gaffers tape for now. I just use a ball bungie on each side to keep it out of the way when I don't need it. I did see the other day that the self sticking tape on the velcro across the top had released due to heating cooling cycles. I put it back up and it held, but I'll probably reinforce it with thumb tacks or something.

That's right!  If you don't mind, I would like to check that out sometime in the next week or so.  Whatever is convenient for you... I should be in town at least a week.

Pat

pnolans said:
I hope I'm not being confusing here.
Nope! I know exactly what you're talking about.
 The problem is that when you add a screen door, the entire frame has to be thicker by adding the thickness of the screen door itself to the total. I think something like 3/8" in addition to whatever the actual door thickness is.  What you might do is carefully measure your cargo trailer door, then find an RV wrecking yard and see if they by chance have a suitable door to fit. Remember, you have to get the door with screen, "and" frame as a unit. 
Now I hope I'm not being too confusing. :)

Ballenxj said:
Nope! I know exactly what you're talking about.
 The problem is that when you add a screen door, the entire frame has to be thicker by adding the thickness of the screen door itself to the total. I think something like 3/8" in addition to whatever the actual door thickness is.  What you might do is carefully measure your cargo trailer door, then find an RV wrecking yard and see if they by chance have a suitable door to fit. Remember, you have to get the door with screen, "and" frame as a unit. 
Now I hope I'm not being too confusing. :)

Amazing... I know exactly what YOU'RE talking about! 

:D :p

Hey Pat, thought you were still in the desert. I'll be home after 3 on Sat, and also Sunday afternoon. I think you still have my number. Just text me when you'd like to come by.

masterplumber said:
Hey Pat, thought you were still in the desert. I'll be home after 3 on Sat, and also Sunday afternoon. I think you still have my number. Just text me when you'd like to come by.

got my SSA payment, headed home to clear out my storage record.  Was in the desert until Wednesday afternoon.
Spending the night in Raton, then headed up that way.  I ordered one of those magic screens.  Should come in next week.

I'll text you , and hopefully it will be a convenient time for you! Thanks.

Later MP,

Pat

gargoyle said:
Buy one of those "Magic Screens" as seen on TV. ~$20. Trim to fit.
Done.

Thank you for this idea. How well do they work at keeping mosquitoes and no see ums out of your camper?

Every Road Leads Home said:
RV screen doors use a special hinge so they open out and clear the main door. 

That's the trick - the hinge. Kind of a double hinge.  Getting a hinge off a wrecked Rv and building both doors from scratch would be the answer.  I don't know about Haulmark, but my trailer (Wells Cargo) has very heavy hinges to hold the heavy door, so your cargo trailer door might be too heavy for an RV door hinge.  Rebuilding it to be lighter would be the thing.

the problem with those style hinges is the screen door fits between the jam and the outer door when the outer door is closed. unless the outer door was made to except a screen door it wouldn't work, you either wouldn't be able to close the outer door or the screen door would seal when closed. why have a screen door if it won't seal? btw if the door was designed for a screen door then there is no problem with those hinges, I wasn't trying to imply that those hinges are bad. highdesertranger

rwdyeriii said:
Thank you for this idea. How well do they work at keeping mosquitoes and no see ums out of your camper?

Works well on my trailer. I got the idea from Swankie Wheels. Charlene uses them on her van, and even sewed a set to her screen house so she doesn't have to deal with the zipper each time she goes in and out. Where she was camp hosting last summer the bugs were fierce, and they pretty well left us alone inside the screen house.

pnolans said:
Did you decide on something?  I'm looking into exactly the same thing, for the same size Haulmark.  Except I have a cat I need to enclose, plus I like the look of the factory screen door, with a matching door.  I also want a window that opens in the door.  So I figure since I'd have to pay to modify my door anyway, perhaps its not much more expensive to get the door/screen setup and it would all be cleaner.  

I am currently using the mag screen, which does gap a bit.  My cat figured it out, so I put a board on the lower half, but he's a cat and climbed right over it.  So for me, a real screen door is the best.

Anyone have any great suppliers?  I found the same supplier pnolans did, and thats the only one I've found...

What I want to do is replace my existing door with the same kind of door that most travel trailers have.  I've sat in Jim's trailer and my dogs love it, and I too like being able to close a screen door and still have a some visibility outdoors and some breeze.  it will keep my dogs inside when I want to leave them inside.  Yes, they COULD jump through it, but they won't. 

I would like to get something like this... this guy wants $350 plus shipping... the below door looks very similar to my current door. I hope I'm not being confusing here.

Pat