Screen door on a Haulmark 6x12 cargo trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulRaven

Reaction score
Hi, I would appreciate some assistance.

I have a Haulmark 6x12 Cargo Trailer (single axle) .  It has a solid door.  I would like to replace it with a door WITH a screen door.
I see these on travel trailers.  I've been having trouble finding any online, and the Haulmark dealer in Lake Havasu City says they can order one for about $400 .  That seems like a lot of $$ to me, but maybe I'm being unrealistic. I've looked around some at RV Salvage yards online, and am just getting bogged down.  

Jimindenver suggested putting a window in there with a slide.  That's a good idea, but I'd really like a screen door. (I've considered stealing his , but then he'd have to kick my butt. And that would hurt).  

So, does anyone have any suggestions regarding someplace I might find one, other than special-ordering one? 

Thanks in advance,

Pat

Sorry there's not more detail on the door... will take another picture if necessary.

Attachments

• trailer at Capulin.gif
    trailer at Capulin.gif
    131.6 KB
so you want to add a screen door to your existing side cargo door? I didn't know that was even possible. 400 bucks for a screen door does seem outrageous to me. can you build your own? maybe screen material and Velcro? highdesertranger

Buy one of those "Magic Screens" as seen on TV. ~$20. Trim to fit.
Done.

View attachment 11551
highdesertranger said:
so you want to add a screen door to your existing side cargo door?  I didn't know that was even possible.  400 bucks for a screen door does seem outrageous to me.  can you build your own?  maybe screen material and Velcro?  highdesertranger

What I want to do is replace my existing door with the same kind of door that most travel trailers have.  I've sat in Jim's trailer and my dogs love it, and I too like being able to close a screen door and still have a some visibility outdoors and some breeze.  it will keep my dogs inside when I want to leave them inside.  Yes, they COULD jump through it, but they won't. 

I would like to get something like this... this guy wants $350 plus shipping... the below door looks very similar to my current door. I hope I'm not being confusing here.

Pat

Attachments

• rv-side-door-screen-1.JPG
    rv-side-door-screen-1.JPG
    765.7 KB
gargoyle said:
Buy one of those "Magic Screens" as seen on TV. ~$20. Trim to fit.
Done.

Thanks, that would be great.  But as I mentioned in my reply to HDR, I'm looking to provide a barrier to my 2 dogs.  They would walk through that.  BUT, they would not bust through a screen door.   Crazy, I know.  I leave them in the car often with the windows down, and they stay in the car.  Honest.

Use hat magic screen and if you want to restrain the dogs get one of those folding gates to keep them in.  That would be a cheap temporary fix until you can stumble across the door you want.

I'm planning to get a cargo trailer, and my plan is to build a frame around the INSIDE of the side door and put a wooden, home built screen door there.  But I still have access to a shop, so that might not work for you.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I'm planning to get a cargo trailer, and my plan is to build a frame around the INSIDE of the side door and put a wooden, home built screen door there.  But I still have access to a shop, so that might not work for you.

If possible, I would appreciate you sharing some pics or some other images relating to how you do it.  That would be great.
I kind of do have access to a shop, if I go back to Colorado and work on it.  I also might be able to hang out at my niece's house in New Braunfels, TX.  Her husband has a fairly decent shop and he seems to be a pretty handy fellow. 

Very good. Thanks,

Pat

closeanuf said:
Use hat magic screen and if you want to restrain the dogs get one of those folding gates to keep them in.  That would be a cheap temporary fix until you can stumble across the door you want.

Not bad... I'll see if I can get that to work. 

Thanks,

Pat

Pnolans, I see your cargo has, at this time, no windows, any plans on changing that?
I'm curious how big a boo it is to install windows on a cargo

ok I think I see now you want to replace the whole door with a RV door. that's what I would do. however 99% of RV doors nowadays have radius corners at the top(to relieve stress fracturing at the corners) and you have 90 degree corners(eventually will stress fracture) do you have the means to fill in the corners? as far as a wooden home made screen, how are you going to have it open? if it opens to the inside it would work but if you want it to open to the outside I see many problems. highdesertranger

RV screen doors use a special hinge so they open out and clear the main door. As they are reversed from a sticks and brick set up....where the screen door is on the outside and main door on the inside. I'm not sure you'd be able to find the right size all in one unit with out going custom now that the hole has been cut. Unless Haulmark side doors are cut to standard sizes to fit other RV style doors.

I've seen plenty of photos where people make their own screen doors so I know it's possible.

Here's the style hinge the RV's screen doors use.
http://www.rvautoparts.com/AP-Produ...p_23564.html?gclid=CKbz0c7hotICFRBXDQodfsINAw

Pat

When I looked at your door today my first impression was that it was bigger than the door on my trailer. You could possibly get a RV door and install it on the opposite side or even in one of the doors on the back.

Another possibility would be to make several smaller screened frames and use piano hinges to create a accordion type door that slid to the side for going through.

jimindenver said:
Pat

When I looked at your door today my first impression was that it was bigger than the door on my trailer. You could possibly get a RV door and install it on the opposite side or even in one of the doors on the back.

Another possibility would be to make several smaller screened frames and use piano hinges to create a accordion type door that slid to the side for going through.

I like the idea of putting another door on the other side of the trailer.  You would have a blank slate to work with.  If you take your time looking you will probably find a good deal on a door that works for you and the dogs. 

Possibly a you u-pull it situation from a salvaged unit.

Pat, this may not be a solution but it's what my limited experience came up with; a person can have screen windows built to size, any size, even for a patio type door. They are not too expensive. Have a door made by one of the folks that do that then put the hinges on it like ERLH suggested. There are screens that are damn near bullet proof so you could keep the pups in

Rob

Just get it reenforced with a couple of bars or whatever they are called, across it.

pnolans said:
What I want to do is replace my existing door with the same kind of door that most travel trailers have.  I've sat in Jim's trailer and my dogs love it, and I too like being able to close a screen door and still have a some visibility outdoors and some breeze.  it will keep my dogs inside when I want to leave them inside.  Yes, they COULD jump through it, but they won't. 

I would like to get something like this... this guy wants $350 plus shipping... the below door looks very similar to my current door. I hope I'm not being confusing here.

Pat

Dogs jumping through ???? 

i have a rottweiler and 1 day i left her in the truck while stopped at WaWa for coffee and 
she hit the window button and was off ....

free spirit ... wonder where she learned that

Do you have room for a "pocket sliding screen door" inside ?

My build includes plans for an inside sliding wooden screen door to close the side sliding cargo opening......a small fixed panel to narrow the opening some and then a roller hung 3' sliding door......a wood door using standard staples and batten to secure the screen.......I have the room available for the door to open/operate

I already built a fixed panel that separates my rear chuckwagon kitchen from the bedroom area using tough NY Wire (plastic/fiberglass)....Pet-D-Fence screening from HD........I have used this at the S&B for nearly 20 years without any damage from the cats who constantly climb on the window screens....(looks like a new parent company.....flame resistant and a GREEN product now)

http://cdn.adfors.com/us/sites/default/files/Building Products/PetScreenSellSheet_1.pdf

pnolans said:
If possible, I would appreciate you sharing some pics or some other images relating to how you do it.  That would be great.
I kind of do have access to a shop, if I go back to Colorado and work on it.  I also might be able to hang out at my niece's house in New Braunfels, TX.  Her husband has a fairly decent shop and he seems to be a pretty handy fellow. 

Very good. Thanks,

Pat

Sorry, I haven't done it yet, only planned for it.  I plan to mount some 2X3s on either side of the door frame (on the inside) with a bit of 2X3 across the top, to create a frame, and then mount an inside opening wooden screen door to that.  You could mount some wood or aluminum bars across the inside of the door to keep the pups in.

jimindenver said:
Pat

Hi Jim,

Is his side door big enough that an RV door/screen combo could be installed in the middle of it as if it was just a regular wall?  Then you wouldn't have to cut a hole and avoid studs on the other side or lose any more wall space.