Save water by not washing pans and plates

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck1

Reaction score
After you have used a plate, pan, spoons, and forks, put them in the fridge, you can do that for 3 days if you only keep them out for a short time, then you only wash dishes about 2 times a week.

It is just so much easier to wipe and wash and stow as my meal is finished.

So what are you eating off of your petti dishes? :huh:

Some people should buy paper plates.

Coming from a group that poops in a Walmart bag then hauls it around for a few days, this is gross  :D

Chuck1 said:
After you have used a plate, pan, spoons, and forks, put them in the fridge, you can do that for 3 days if you only keep them out for a short time, then you only wash dishes about 2 times a week.

I'd suggest spraying/wiping with vinegar and water first.  Then if you want to do a hot wash a few days later then ok.

Just a different way of looking at a age old concept.

Make a big pot of chili and rewarm it every day. Save a plate of left overs and reheat in the microwave later. Shove the pizza box in the fridge or as many do, just leave it on the coffee table. lol

This can be a thread on how people handle their dishes/pots

I use parchment paper in my fry pans to avoid the mess. Often it can be slid right on to a plate for consumption. This leaves me with a spatula and a fork to wash. Often when I make multiple portions I bag them and put them in boiling water to reheat.

mpruet said:
I'd suggest spraying/wiping with vinegar and water first.  Then if you want to do a hot wash a few days later then ok.

This is no different than eating leftovers, i have put plates/pans in the fridge 100s of times in my RV and never got sick, i have never pooped into a bag though.

Cooked food is good for 7 days, though most suggest 4 days at the most, you can leave food out of the fridge for 2-4 hrs, if the cumulative time out of the fridge (over 35 degrees) is less than 2 hrs your totally safe.

When boondocking you should know safe dates

Raw Meat and Eggs
The number of days you should keep raw meat and eggs in the refrigerator depends on a variety of factors. If the packaging of raw meat or eggs has a "use by" date on it, discard the product after that date to lower your chance of getting sick. The USDA notes that if the product comes with a "sell by" date, you can generally keep raw meat and eggs in the fridge past that date by using the following guidelines:
  • Chicken, turkey, sausage, ground poultry, and ground meat: 1 to 2 days past sell-by date
  • Beef, lamb, pork, and veal: 3 to 5 days past sell-by date
  • Uncooked cured ham: 5 to 7 days past sell-by date
  • Eggs: 3 to 5 weeks past sell-by date
After thoroughly cooking raw meat or eggs, you can safely keep these foods in the fridge for the same amount of time as leftover meals -- three to four days.
Dairy Foods
For dairy foods like milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, cheeses and butter, use the expiration date to determine how long they can safely be kept in your fridge. Many dairy products like milk safely last about two to three weeks. Cheeses and soy milk may last a few months.
  • Keep milk and cream for 1 to 5 days after the sell-by date, according to Clemson University.
  • Leave yogurt in your fridge 7 to 10 days after the sell-by date, notes Clemson University.
  • If your milk or yogurt has been kept in room temperature for more than two hours, throw it away, suggests theU.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
  • Hard cheeses and butter are usually okay to be out in room temperature for up to four hours.
  • If milk or yogurt tastes sour, throw it away.
  • If you see visible signs of mold on cheese or cottage cheese, toss it.

Decades ago, My dad and I used to belong to a camping group. Some of my fondest memories come from those days...enyhoo...not to digress...what we did to clean cookery and eatery was scrub them with dirt. Yep. Sand worked the best ... lota sand in the southwest I hear... and it removed even the hard stuck stuff. Then we'd just wipe out the dust with a damp cloth or paper towel. Voila! I camped a lot in those days, and I emp't ded yet, so musta been good'nuf. I'm thinking a swipe with some sort of disinfectant would be prudent in today's culture ... vinegar or alcohol and water? :D

mpruet said:
I'd suggest spraying/wiping with vinegar and water first.  ...

When people do this, do you use plain white vinegar? And what is the vinegar/water ratio? Do you let it sit? Wipe immediately? Do your dishes smell like vinegar after?

I have so many questions about this.

HumbleBeginnings said:
When people do this, do you use plain white vinegar? And what is the vinegar/water ratio? Do you let it sit? Wipe immediately? Do your dishes smell like vinegar after?

I have so many questions about this.

The problem with this method if you leave one spec of food your likely to get food poisoning, if careful you might be ok, might as well just wash it

FYI

food poisoning, affects about one in six Americans every year. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that of these cases, there are 128,000 hospitalizations and 3,000 deaths annually.wash it.

Chuck1 said:
food poisoning, affects about one in six Americans every year. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that of these cases, there are 128,000 hospitalizations and 3,000 deaths annually.wash it.

Amen. If I am THAT desperate for water, then it's time for me to move to a new spot.

Chuck1 said:
Coming from a group that poops in a Walmart bag then hauls it around for a few days, this is gross  :D

I use the thirteen gallon garbage bags....Don't ask....Just....don't.... :D

Chuck1 said:

I actually boil my chicken in water. When the water has heated for 10 min I dip a paper towel in it and wipe off the dish I used to cut the chicken on. Yes, it's hot and does hurt at times. So I know the germs die painfully.

After dinner, I take the still hot water and dip another towel, wipe off plate, fork and knife. 

I wipe out the pot I used and call it a day.

Chuck1 said:
This is no different than eating leftovers, i have put plates/pans in the fridge 100s of times in my RV and never got sick, i have never pooped into a bag though.
Yea - but it's a heck of a lot harder (and takes more water) to try to clean a plate if the food has stuck to it for several days.

A while back I read a book by Ernest Shackleton, the explorer who made three trips to the Antarctica in the early 1900's. There were several crew members. They set up a small building and went on exploring trips but mostly lived there for some months. I remember the rule that at the end of each meal each member was to 'lick your spoon clean and toss in the box." They all made it back.

Latest posts