Save water by not washing pans and plates

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using soap on Cast Iron removes the seasoning from the cast iron, other pots and pans dont develop a seasoned surface.

I use soap and water on all my non cast iron pots and pans.

For generations my family used nothing but cast iron for cooking. You'd get an ear full if you started to clean any pan. All they do is pour the remaining grease into a jar and set the pan back on the stove for the next meal a few hours later. Cleaning a cast iron pan.... that's cookware blasphemy.

However, some cardiologists might suggest looking for other options today.  :-/

I’ve got a fishing buddy that uses his bait knife for everything. He has been known to wipe it off on his pant leg and proclaim it “dry cleaned” and start cutting up his fresh off the grill steak! I bring my own utensils when I’m invited over to eat.

I will never forget my grandma licking off the knife as she cut the pies and cakes I don’t think it was that that made them taste so good but there was something special there.

Freelander said:
Cast Iron is different, I dont use soap on any of mine either, just hot water, and maybe a scrub pad.

highdesertranger said:
why is it different?  it's different because?  highdesertranger

Cast iron gets hot enough to kill all the little buggies growing in food particles that make one's gastro-intestinal tract rebel.  But that leaves all the other utensils used in food preparation and eating that need cleaning.

I can say definitively that the beagle prewash is much more expensive than water but he makes my work easier and I am not introducing food waste into the environment.  Plus I get a lot of :heart: , something a water jug has never supplied.

My cleaning method and water usage is dictated by when I expect to be able to replenish my water supply.

Summary of all of above: No paper plates, plastics forks, etc wasteful,  you buy them only to throw them away and then go buy more??. No soap. Dont have a beagle. So, here is the logical solution , (this is what I think I just heard) use 1 quart of boiling water to wash everything, the pan, plate, bowl, forks, spoon and knife. Wash them in the pot. Let air dry. Put pot of left over wash water in refrigerator and make soup with it the next day!  correct?

highdesertranger said:
why is it different?  it's different because?  highdesertranger

My WAG? (wild-ass guess)

If you heat your cast iron pans sufficiently, you are turning grease into a polymer which bonds to the pan, and won't show up in your food.

But non-polymerized grease building up on your pan just goes rancid, and may give your food an unwanted flavor.

Maybe Dingfelder means it takes more water than alcohol for a cleaning, therefore may be less expensive for him.

Does that mean I should drink the alcohol before during the dishes?

Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong. :) :)

Past experience using alcohol internally while doing dishes has resulted in needing more dishes. Just saying.

Save water by cutting back on cleanliness, What could go wrong ?

Reminds me of some food carts in 3rd world countries. I would see them out away from any water, the cooks hands dirty, cooks hair dirty, apron dirty,, that's all I need to see it'll all be dirty.

Heck when I was in the Army and eating Field Chow, you would wash your mess kit in a trash can and use a toilet brush to scrub it with. HEHEHE

Vinegar doesn't kill all little nasties. COVID-19 is one that it doesn't kill.

Just what I want to look forward to, a big pile of dishes to wash. Rather do it as I go.

Freelander said:
Heck when I was in the Army and eating Field Chow, you would wash your mess kit in a trash can and use a toilet brush to scrub it with. HEHEHE

As long as that is the only use for the can and the brush, what difference does it make.

Latest posts