RV Travel buddy/ RV rideshare

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbanhermit70

Reaction score
NOT a dating thread:

WANTED: Drivers

Is there any license driver members  looking for travel buddy /companion  ? I would like to start a thread  for  me and my fellow  visually impaired or disable people   who want to  live  the RV/van/trailer/car/minivan/5th wheeler life experiences but can't because he or she can't drive.

Me: i 'm looking for a female driver. I'm  a  visually impaired female  in her late 40's. I can't travel too far because of my diabetes complication so I can only do 1-2 day road trip  within my  state. Anybody lives near San Francisco, Oakland or Sacramento and is looking for a travel buddy, PM me

The problem with that is one or two day trips are not practical. I go for at least 2-3 weeks and usually
to Nevada/Arizona I live in San Francisco.

Wagoneer,

Because i just had glaucoma surgery/eye pressure issue,  my eye doctor has me on a short chain. Scent I've never boondocks or drove inside a RV/van/trailer,5th wheeler ever in my life , I  just winging how many days i can travel . My road trip dream is Sacramento to Badwater Death Valley / Mobius Arch at Alabama Hill back to  Sacramento.

I understand, that's a nice road trip and would involve a bit of driving. The least amount of time I would personally saunter taking 120 through Yosemite (i get to go through for Free cause I'm an old F**k) then 395 to Bishop Ca / Death Valley a very familiar route to me, I will going that route Early January, and highly recommend it. 3 weeks in Arizona. I wish you good luck.

So far, I am NOT having any luck finding a road trip driver. .I've been trying to find someone for 2 years and I'm starting to lose faith in my fellow man and woman. Do people help anybody anymore.> I wish i could learn how to drive but diabetes is robbing me of my vision and all I have left is traveling.

I'm in Texas and have NO DESIRE to spend much time in Ca.  Having said that I think most of us here are loners and stay to ourselves.  But I think if you stay active on this site and others you will become recognized and when the time is right and the situation is right the stars will line up for you.  I also think if you were my daughter I would want you to be very cautious about who you put yourself out there for.  Hang in there.

urbanhermit70 said:
So far, I am NOT having any luck finding a  road trip driver. .I've been   trying to find someone  for 2 years and I'm starting to lose  faith in my  fellow man and woman.  Do people help anybody anymore.> I wish  i could learn how to drive but diabetes is robbing me of my vision and  all I have left is traveling.

most of us will help people, sometimes to ridiculous lengths.  Here's something to consider.  

For example, me.  I live full-time on the road.  I have a dog.  My tow vehicle is in need of a new transmission.  So, now, I'm going to be living in a tent.  I'll be driving a Jeep.  There's not room for another human in the Jeep. I may or may not have a small trailer to pull behind me. 
I spend most of my time in CO and AZ.  I don't choose to go to California , in general.  

So, if I was willing to assist you, how would that occur?  Leave my stuff somewhere else?  Leave my dog somewhere else?  

I think what you are running into is that your needs and others abilities to assist don't line up.  

Reminder:  Most of the people on this forum will fall all over themselves trying to assist someone.  So, don't lose faith in your fellow man/woman.  

Your request simply needs just the right person.  

Hope this helps,

WP

wanderin.pat and closeanuf ,

Thanks for the replies but I don't think the stars are going to line up for me. Like you said people are to themselves and or some are into their own tribes. I'll just ream in my blind head

Housing at night may be a problem for most. Many live in smaller vehicles like vans and finding room for you and your gear may be a problem.
Craigslist has a ride share section under community. You could post an add there.

Green Tortoise bus tours are also a fun way to go. I did a three week tour of the Western Parks with them and it was great. They have shorter trips as well. https://greentortoise.com/about.html

urbanhermit70 said:
wanderin.pat and closeanuf ,

Like you said people are  to themselves and or some are into their  own tribes.

Hi, I want to first say I wish you much success in this venture.  I also agree with closeanuf's remark regarding "if you were my daughter..." 

When I started out on the road, I never intended to be the loner I have become.  But after 6 months or so, I realized that I find it easier to get along with people when I'm not around them!   OTOH, I'm always willing to help other nomads out when I can. 

Many of us are on the road for financial reasons, but some of us are simply "fringe dwellers".  If we weren't misfits, we would still live in homes or apartments.

I'm not calling anyone names... I'm a misfit.  Just me!   :D

Like I said , I wish you much success and hope you find a happy resolution.

Pat

I understand your problem as I am also disabled and can only do short trips--at least for now. I just got my new-used Road Trek 190 registered and am ready to plan my first trip.

I wish I could share the trip with someone else, but like others, I'm going to be pressed for room with my service dog. I think most people only haul around RVs that barely have room for them as each pound equals more money for gas.

The other problem is one of compatibility. You never know if a stranger will be compatible with your lifestyle and it would be rough to find out you can't stand each other after a day on the road.

Still, I hope you find someone in your area. Until then, I agree with others that you should consider tours. I plan to take the train all across the US in the near future. It is far cheaper than RVing, unless you own your rig, plus you don't have to worry about finding camping spots or boondocking.

A suggestion for finding a better fit... find a trusted person, good friend or compatible relative first. Plan a short trip, rent an rv or van together, and go off on your adventure.

crofter said:
Cool site! How many people were on your tour?  

Another idea for urbanhermit is getting a tiny travel trailer of some sort for bunking in at night, if a driver is found.    ~crofter

Sorry for the delay in answering I don't come here every day. The head count for my bus was 32 as I remember, (this was 20 years ago).

I agree with Beajay in post #12 about compatibility. If someone was in self pity and felt it was my job to cater to their every whim that would drive me nuts. Especially if they played the guilt trip to get their way. As in Oh never mind then I will just have to suffer without getting what I want. Sometimes the person with the vehicle will have to bear most of the expenses because after all you were going there anyway thinking. Or you stop at a restaurant and the guest does the oh I can't afford to eat there trick. Then what are you supposed to do, say well then you get to lose some weight?

DannyB1954 said:
Especially if they played the guilt trip to get their way. As in Oh never mind then I will just have to suffer without getting what I want. Sometimes the person with the vehicle will have to bear most of the expenses because after all you were going there anyway thinking. Or you stop at a restaurant and the guest does the oh I can't afford to eat there trick. Then what are you supposed to do, say well then you get to lose some weight?

One of the big reasons I travel and camp by myself.  

Good answer.  I've seen all of these played.

If they were with me they would loose weight. I don’t mind feeding someone if it’s planned but if they just come over at supper time thinking they will eat they got another thing coming. If I travel with someone they will be in there rig and I’ll be in mine , if we stop and they want to go into a restaurant and eat , if I feel I can’t afford it I’ll tell them to go ahead I’ll eat in my coach. Never been a problem

Smitty716 said:
If I travel with someone they will be in there rig and I’ll be in mine

That's how I feel about it. I'm getting a van because I want to travel and live in it alone. If I wanted to take someone else I'd get something larger, like a RV, and invite a family member. Live-in relationships are very hard to deal with... I've been living alone since 2013 and want to continue with that.

I think the best opportunity for OP is to go for a travel vacation tour company... there are so many good ones out there. I even saw a surprise tour (mystery destination) bus tour for retired singles. And there are many other opportunities both in the USA and overseas.

Travelaround , I am seriously thing about a van after RTR. But for now with the way my medical condition is I need the amenities. But my situation is getting better and I think by then I won’t have to have all that (hopefully)

urbanhermit70 said:
Me: i 'm looking for a female driver. I'm  a  visually impaired female  in her late 40's. I can't travel too far because of my diabetes complication so I can only do 1-2 day road trip  within my  state. Anybody lives near San Francisco, Oakland or Sacramento and is looking for a travel buddy, PM me

I volunteer Achilles in NYC and have gone weekend camping with Achilles athletes who are visually impaired. Achillies is for mostly runners, walkers, and triathetes but there is lots of interaction with guides (volunteers) and athletes (both visually impaired and physically impaired)

I would like to suggest you contact your local chapter since Achilles is worldwide. You may have better chance of meeting your need through one of Achilles volunteers.

Attachments

• 1-04-17 15.JPG
    1-04-17 15.JPG
    1.5 MB
I'm still a year away from my launch date, but I have my tow vehicle and will be take delivery of my 5th wheel next month.

If you are unable to find a solution, or if you would like to explore your options, do feel free to contact me.

I have no pets and the RV sleeps 6 - so there should be room for two.

I don't know if it is the right fit, but I'm not afraid to respond to another's call.

Kramer

Latest posts