No driver's license- stuck in a dead-end town!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WanderingRose said:
I suspect it will be difficult to find a stranger willing to let you use their vehicle for a drivers test, nor would I think you would want to take a test in a vehicle you weren’t familiar with.

I suggest first saving some money so you can buy a good used vehicle, or maybe your Township local assistance knows of a program for donating vehicles if you are low income.

It would seem to me a good option for driving practice would be your local senior center.

Explain that you want to get a drivers license, and they may have or be able to refer you to someone who can practice driving with you and go with you in your car to get your license.

Good luck to you.
hello Rose, I have a booklet here with all the town resources.
I'm going to make some serious phone calls tomorrow. Thanks for your support!

JerryJ said:
In most states, there are programs to assist senior citizens with drivers licensing.  I found this about some programs available in Illinois, I'm sure if you contact them they could refer you to those who can help.
https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/services/services_for_seniors/programs.html

Don't be discouraged if you have to contact multiple offices, speak to each person by name (an old psych trick that gets people on your side), expires gratitude for ANY help, and if you get frustrated, take a break.
Omg Jerry!
I just noticed this post with the link to the DMV.
I'm calling tomorrow! I will keep you posted.
Thank you so much!

Today I have call the DMV and ask them about the program for the disabled and elderly program to get my driver's license. They said that I need a car to take the road test... they do not provide one.
I also called a couple insurance agencies here in town they said that they cannot ensure me without a driver's license.
Back to square one!

Have you called any driving schools? It is quite normal for driving schools to accompany students to their driving tests, and they have cars specifically for teaching driving. Maybe they would let you use one for the examination. It seems like a driving school would be the easiest way to accomplish this. It might require paying for and showing up to an actual class, but a refresher might not hurt.

So you’ll have to get your drivers license first, and I guess logically you would need that to buy a car and have it insured.

A driving school is a great idea, and if paying for that is an issue ask if there is any funding or waiver available.

If not, try your senior center for recommendations and maybe your local township office for assistance.

Don’t give up. I firmly believe some things are a test, of our resolve, our patience, our determination, whatever.

If you take the driving class will they take you to the DMV for testing? You have not made it clear if you were inquiring only about the driving test and not about taking a driving class or not.

hey pf,
i just wanted to say many small towns are cliquish in my experience. i moved
to a town of less than 1500 when i first moved here to Minnesota and it was
quite difficult making friends as the main opportunity i had was at work, and you
don't have that option. i am also outgoing so i get you...so keep on keeping on sir
and hang in there!
jim

I just got my license after years without one. I purchased insurance online, entering my old drivers license number, and I had no issues with my printed out proof of insurance at the DMV. I've done this in two states over the past twenty years, so I know it can be done! After getting my new license I called my insurance company (progressive) and gave them the new drivers license number with no issues.

The catch 22 of needing a license to get insurance and needing insurance to get a license is not true. Otherwise no one would ever be able to get a license in the first place! Insurance agents will go by the book to limit their liability, so go online and do it yourself! Note- I'm sure if you get into a wreck before all is fine your insurance will not cover you 100%, that is the risk you'll have to take!

As for the car, get on Facebook, find a seniors group, ask for help, and don't stop till you get your license!

Hello gslanm,
I already did ask the local cab service here in town but he told me no. There is no Uber or any other car service in this very small town. I told them at the DMV that just doesn't make any sense. I also call a local driving school to try to get my license but, they do not provide the car for the driving test at the DMV.
I've been trying to stay positive, but it's kind of hard when all the answers are no no no no! Sorry can't help you.
I think Poopyface could take the driving lessons, then rent a car for one day to take the exam. Should try to rent something that is very similar to whatever she learned on.

I don't know the laws in Illinois, but in most states you will need insurance on the car, if you find someone willing to let you you use their car, and they don't have full coverage, you will need to purchase insurance yourself. You can find lots of insurance companies that will let you get one month, but it is more expensive (but worth it to finally get your license).

Pastors will often have a list of agencies/groups that help seniors with all sorts of needs, so I would agree they are a great place to start!

I think Poopyface could take the driving lessons, then rent a car for one day to take the exam. Should try to rent something that is very similar to whatever she learned on.
Can't rent a car without a valid DL.